Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Transportation Discuss The dreaded buses... in the Vacation Planning forums; I disagree. I'd rather stay at the All Stars for 3 different trips than one trip to the Poly....
    elvistelth is offline Unfortunately, this user's actions have resulted in him/her being BANNED from the site

Re: The dreaded buses...

I disagree. I'd rather stay at the All Stars for 3 different trips than one trip to the Poly.

ohiodisneydad is offline Hi, my name is David and I like Beverly.

Quote Originally Posted by 1 small world View Post
    Okay... all these replies are talking about taking buses...
    how about saving your pennies and just stay at the Polynesian?
    I know it's pricey, but for convenience, you can't beat a bus free trip to MK and Epcot!
    Because sometimes pennies are all we have to spend on our trips. Our last trip was our first stay on property and it was at Pop Century. We LOVED it. But everyone seems to have an opinion about the buses. I started out gung ho for the buses but one trip was enough to stop that. So for me and a few others the buses aren't a good thing.
    "Life is an occassion. Rise to it."- Mr. Magorium
    "Welcome Home"- Best words you'll ever hear when you check in at a Disney Resort

prickle is offline Fastpass Holder

I feel riding the Disney busses is a must do, at least one time. I enjoy looking at the people and how wiped out they are from a full day at the parks. The kids that are asleep, and of course the infamous sweaty smell. (yuck). I know its hard to do but get on the bus with a positive attitude and know the ride will be over soon.

Chrissy&Tayen is offline counting down to my vacation

i have stayed at sports and movies and CSR.. and my worst bus experiance was this last trip.. i waited 45mins at DTD for a bus back to CSR.. and after 45 mins.. i got on a poly bus then took the train to MK and got a bus back to CSR.. this last trip i was so mad at disney over their buses.. it was crazy.. im giving them one last chance on the bus deal because i can say it was crazy busy that week.. but a 45 min wait in the middle of the day.. come on? and because of that the hubby missed his driving experiance thingie.

i was not impressed with the mod resorts at all.. i would have rather stayed in a value resort..
    All Star Sports July 2006
    All Star Movies October 2007
    Coronado Spring February 2010
    Pop Century October 2010
    All Star Movies September 2011
    Pop Century September 2012
    Chrissy

DopeyDancer87 is offline Disney Obsessed Since 1988 :-)

Well, I agree with everyone who says to stay on a monorail line, but I can also tell you that the Boardwalk and Yacht & Beach Club would be a great option because you can take a boat to Hollywood Studios and EPCOT (or walk), and there is hardly ever a line for the boat. The bus to MK and AK usually isn't terrible either, and I recommend staying at the Boardwalk because it is usually the 1st stop (garaunteeing a seat at least en route to the park, and your the first one off in case you can't get a seat on the way back).

DO NOT STAY AT Old Key West, All-Star, Port Orleans or Caribbean Beach! They are some of the largest hotels on property and have a ton of stops, thus carrying a ton of people!
    "It's kind of fun to do the impossible." - Walt Disney

"Adults are just grown up kids, anyway." -Walt Disney

(((Por favor mantangense alejado de las puertas )))

*My Visits*
    1988 - Polynesian Resort*1991- Port Orleans*1992- Port Orleans*1994- Wilderness Lodge*1995- Caribbean Beach*1997- Boardwalk*1998- Old Key West*1999- All- Star Movies*2000- Wilderness Lodge*2000- Caribbean Beach*2001- Wilderness Lodge*2001- Port Orleans Riverside*2001- Coronado Springs*2002 - Boardwalk*2003 - Contemporary*2003 - Caribbean Beach*2003 - All Star Sports & Music*2004- Grand Californian (DL)*2004 - Boardwalk*2005 - Boardwalk*2006 - Wilderness Lodge*2007- Boardwalk*2007 - Wilderness Lodge*2008 - Saratoga Springs*2009 - Off Site*2011 - Bay Lake Tower/Boardwalk Villas*February, 2012 - POFQ

Major Dude is offline C-Ticket Holder

The only resort bus problems I've ever had were trying to get to the Magic Kingdom first thing in the morning from Coronado Springs. About an hour wait the first morning of my last trip and later in the week I gave up waiting after about 45 minutes and took a taxi. I had a Keys to the Kingdom tour to take that morning!

Other than those two occasions, I enjoy the buses, boats and monorails.
    BareFozzie in the box

supernova is offline Premium Annual Passholder

A ton of us were left standing at a bus stop at Saratoga Springs on the evening of a Christmas party. That ****ed.

On the other hand, I've had two special bus events that help to put the long waits out of my mind. One time, I took a bus from Wilderness to Epcot and realized that I left my tickets back in the room. I went back to the bus stop but one bus pulled up to tell me that they didn't run back to the hotels at that early hour. He closed his door, called dispatch, and they had a private "VIP Guest" bus pull up for me to head back to Wilderness. I can only presume the "I" stood for "Idiotic".

Another morning, I was waiting for a bus to take us to a character breakfast. We were the only ones at the stop at that hour, and an out-of-service bus pulled up. He asked what we were doing, changed his sign to "Mickey Mouse" and drove us to the Magic Kingdom.
    Really, Walt? Disneyland is MY land? Why would I want a silly little land when I can have the WORLD.

Maestrojosh87 is offline A-Ticket holder

I would recommend the OKW or SS.
    December 1988 -- Disney Village Resort
    1990 -- Beach Club
    1991 -- One Day at Disneyland (Hotel unknown)
    1992 -- One Day at Disneyland (Four Seasons Newport Beach)
    November/December 1992 -- Offsite (Hyatt Orlando, name changed to Ramada Celebration, then Orlando Sun Resort)
    July/August 1993 -- One Day at Disneyland (Hyatt Newporter)
    November/December 1993 -- WDW Swan
    August 1995 -- Disneyland (Hyatt Regency Alicante, now Orange County)
    November 1996 -- Offsite (Hyatt Regency Grand Cypress)
    February 1998 -- Offsite (Holiday Inn Sunspree), Contemporary
    August 1998 -- Boardwalk Villas
    February 1999 -- Old Key West
    August 1999 -- Disneyland Hotel
    February 2000 -- Boardwalk Villas
    December 2000 -- Old Key West
    February 2001 -- Grand Californian
    December 2001 -- Grand Californian
    February 2002 -- Vero Beach, Boardwalk
    August 2002 -- Hard Rock Hotel, Old Key West
    April 2003 -- Dolphin
    August 2003 -- Grand Californian
    February 2004 -- Dolphin, Offsite (Marriott Horizons, name changed to Marriott Harbour Lake)
    May 2005 -- Beach Club Villas
    March 2006 -- Offsite (Marriott Grande Vista)
    August/September 2006 -- Boardwalk Villas
    December 2006 -- Disneyland Hotel
    May 2007 -- Saratoga Springs
    May 2008 -- Old Key West
    March 2009 -- Offsite (Marriott Grande Vista)
    May/June 2009 -- Grand Californian
    May 2010 -- Bay Lake Tower, Boardwalk Villas, Offsite (Marriott Grande Vista)
    August 2010 -- Disneyland Hotel Paris (first international Disney vacation ever, w00t w00t)
    January 2011 -- Beach Club Villas
    September 2011 -- Grand Californian (first Disney vacation to start on my birthday, w00t w00t)
    November/December 2011 -- Saratoga Springs, Offsite (Marriott Sabal Palms)

firemedic is offline Premium Annual Passholder

We stayed at Pop Century, and the busses were pretty quick. It is funny how you can tell the people that have been there a while. On our first day, we saw people that were about to go home and they looked ROUGH! I'm sure we looked that way too towards the end of the week.

Mike M is offline A-Ticket holder

The buses are definatelty the one drawback that I see to staying on Disney property. It is also definately better to stay at one of the Deluxe resorts that have partial boat/monorail transportation available to the parks. Only exception is Animal Kingdom Lodge which is why we will never stay there again. Animal Kingdom Lodge is probably the most "remote" Disney resort and you always had to figure an hour from the time you leave your room until you were in a park, or vice versa. The bus service was not always horrible, but having NOTHING but bus transportation for a full week to anywhere you wanted to go was dismal. I know others may defend the bus service, but that is the one part I see as a drawback and we will definately never stay at AKL again.

Thanks. Mike M

elvistelth is offline Unfortunately, this user's actions have resulted in him/her being BANNED from the site

That's why I drive my car to the parks. If you stay on property parking is free. I find it much easier to drive.

ashleighbass06 is offline C-Ticket Holder

I have to say that I stayed at ASMu in March and during the less-busy times the All-Stars shared buses. But, when it was really busy, like at park closing, each resort had a separate bus. Yes, sometimes we still had to wait for a couple buses and sometimes had to stand, but there was only one stop. Is that not how it normally works?

I can't answer that since I drive...I don't pay much attention to the busses since I don't use them.

StaceyB is offline A-Ticket holder

I completely agree about the Epcot area resorts. Best transportation on property, hands down IMHO. We just returned from a stay at Bay Lake Tower. We switched it up because we had two preschoolers with us and I wanted to check out the new place. Words cannot express the ease of movement to/from the MK. AWESOME because it is a very short walk. Transportation to/from Epcot was OK. It would also be awesome if there wasn't the need to go all the way down and back up the platforms (I know why they do this and I get it and if I were Mary Poppins and could fly down and up the platforms it would be great, but pushing strollers up those ramps is quite a workout).

The bus service to/from DHS and AK left quite a bit to be desired. Part of our party waited over 40 minutes for a DHS bus around 11 a.m. Returning to BLT from DHS after Fantasmic took 80 minutes and we only missed ONE bus. If we wouldn't have been sandwiched in line, I would have jumped out of line and gotten in line for the bus to the TTC. I have quite a bit of Disney patience and I could perhaps see more of a wait during the day when it's harder to anticipate how many people are going to the parks, but at park closing? Really? Did closing time sneak up on them? That was pretty bad and hile I am DVC and was at BLT (the first dropoff), I can't imagnine how annoyed I would have been had I paid $350+ per night.

Bus service at the Epcot resorts is not terrible, though the BW is the last stop. We routinely get off at the Swan (1st stop) and walk across the bridge. A huge time saver to be sure! Looking forward to getting back to the BWV, though I sure like that 3rd full bath and the laundry room at BLT.
    Stacey B.
    1997-1999, three visits, off property - 2000: March, Port Orleans; November, Dolphin / Polynesion - 2001: March, Wilderness Lodge / Old Key West; September, The Dolphin - 2002: April, Mariott World Center; June, Dolphin; October & December, Boardwalk Inn - 2003: November, Yacht Club - 2005: May, Boardwalk Villas (finally DVC members) - 2006: March, Grand Californian - 2007: June, Boardwalk Villas - 2008: September, Boardwalk Villas - 2010: May, Bay Lake Tower

Beeker is offline A-Ticket holder

Quote Originally Posted by supernova View Post
    A ton of us were left standing at a bus stop at Saratoga Springs on the evening of a Christmas party. That ****ed.

On the other hand, I've had two special bus events that help to put the long waits out of my mind. One time, I took a bus from Wilderness to Epcot and realized that I left my tickets back in the room. I went back to the bus stop but one bus pulled up to tell me that they didn't run back to the hotels at that early hour. He closed his door, called dispatch, and they had a private "VIP Guest" bus pull up for me to head back to Wilderness. I can only presume the "I" stood for "Idiotic".

Another morning, I was waiting for a bus to take us to a character breakfast. We were the only ones at the stop at that hour, and an out-of-service bus pulled up. He asked what we were doing, changed his sign to "Mickey Mouse" and drove us to the Magic Kingdom.
    Great stories! It's events like these that keep me on the buses. In fact, I had one on my last trip.

We were going out to eat at Chef Mickey's before heading to the parks one morning. It was POURING rain and we had been sitting at the bus stop for 15 minutes or so. We finally got a bus to the Magic Kingdom and noticed we were going to be late at the rate the bus was traveling, plus monorail time. We talked to the bus driver and he nodded. A while later, as we approached the Contemporary, he actually drove into the parking lot for us and we made it on time.

Some bus drivers are awesome.
    Meep? Meep mee mee meep. Mi mee meep. Meeeep!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast