Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Transportation Discuss The dreaded buses... in the Vacation Planning forums; I'm sure a lot of us have experienced the park closing disney bus experience... Standing in line for 3 buses, waiting for the wheelchairs and strollers, then riding standing up ...
    Disney2000 is offline Fastpass Holder

The dreaded buses...

I'm sure a lot of us have experienced the park closing disney bus experience... Standing in line for 3 buses, waiting for the wheelchairs and strollers, then riding standing up all the way back to your resort without a seat and listen to the screaming babies, etc.
    My question is... Is there a specific resort that you'd recommend that this hardly ever happens at night orr even during the day, where you almost always get a seat? (In the early december-middle december period? Used to be mousefest time? )

Thanks for the help!

~Disney2000
    The Golden age never was the present age… but with human liberty we can fulfill the promise and meaning of America. To everyone a chance. To all people, regardless of their birth the right to live, to work, to be themselves, and to become whatever their visions can combine to make them. This is the promise of America...And I foresee the American adventure to continue for a long, long time!
    ~The American Adventure, EPCOT Center

Are you 23? I am!

BusDriver is offline Fastpass Holder
    I would stay away from the All-Stars if that is a concern. I have stayed at most of the resorts on property and have always had to deal with it although I am usually one of the people with the stroller and screaming kids. I would recommend one of the Epcot area resorts, as you use the bus less at these. You can walk or boat to Epcot and Studios. That leaves you only dealing with buses when you go to MK and AK. However, at night these buses are full and often all Epcot area resorts share buses. Swan, Dolphin, Yacht, Beach & Boardwalk.

Just think of it as another part of the magic.
    Last edited by BusDriver; 03-30-2009 at 11:41 PM.
    My Dream Job - WDW Bus Driver

1975 - First Visit; 1985 High School Band Trip; 1986 Grad Night; 1992 First Visit with two oldest daughters; 1997 First Visit with Son; 1998 Joined DVC; 2003 First Visit with Twins

Many visits staying at Old Key West, Grand Floridian, Boardwalk, Contemporary, Disney Institute & All Star Sports

Sorria is offline Fastpass Holder
    I'd recommend one of the Epcot resorts as well, or one of the hotels on the Monorail line. We stayed at the Polynesian last year and I don't think we ever had to deal with bad buss experiences during the time that we were there. The only bad Poly experience I can say is that there is no bus transportation from Epcot to the Poly, but there is bus transport from the Poly to Epcot. In other words, if you're at Epcot and want to get back to a monorail line resort you have to take the Epcot monorail and then then transfer at the TTC to the resort monorail. It probably wouldn't have been that bad, but the monorail broke down for 3 hours during a storm when we were there. We ended up having to walk to our room from the TTC.
    Upcoming Trips to WDW:

Dec 6-10: Disney Wonder
    Dec 10-19: Port Orleans French Quarter

elvistelth is offline Unfortunately, this user's actions have resulted in him/her being BANNED from the site
    Quote Originally Posted by Disney2000 View Post
    I'm sure a lot of us have experienced the park closing disney bus experience... Standing in line for 3 buses, waiting for the wheelchairs and strollers, then riding standing up all the way back to your resort without a seat and listen to the screaming babies, etc.
    The above reason is why I drive my personal vehicle when staying on-property. I understand not everyone is a Florida resident and have this option. Also, the property can be confusing to the directionally challenged.
    However, if you do have access to your own vehicle and know your way around it can be a real time-saver.

Spodie is offline Fastpass Holder
    Quote Originally Posted by elvistelth View Post
    The above reason is why I drive my personal vehicle when staying on-property. I understand not everyone is a Florida resident and have this option. Also, the property can be confusing to the directionally challenged.
    However, if you do have access to your own vehicle and know your way around it can be a real time-saver.
    I am totally there with you! At first I thought that driving to the parks would ruin the magic a little, but I was SO wrong. On a previous trip, my sister and I stayed at the All Star Resorts and drove over to the Boardwalk one night to eat at the ESPN club. After we were done eating, it was almost time for IllumiNations, so we walked over to Epcot and watched it. When it was over, we went back to our room. It took us literally about 15 minutes to walk back to our car, drive to our resort and then walk back to our room. After that, I have always driven, except for MK (because you always have to fight some sort of line to get back), where we still take the bus.
    ~Ashleigh

J&J
    J&J is offline E-Ticket Holder

Re: The dreaded buses...

stay at the cont very short walk to MK.
    J&J

LisaAnn is offline C-Ticket Holder

from my own experience, the emptiest buses that i have EVER been on while in Disney have been the Old Key West buses. There were never more than like 10 people on the bus at the most crowded times. Also, ive stayed at Boardwalk and Beach Club before, and those werent that bad. the only downside is that the buses go to all 3 resorts, Yacht, Beach, and Boardwalk, so you have people from 3 different resorts on one bus. And naturally, we were always staying at Boardwalk, the last stop. but it wasnt horrible. Just stay away from the value resorts if waiting for a bus is an issue....they are always mad crowded!
    ~Lisa~
    DCP Fall 2012: Strollers/Main Entrance Merchandise, Magic Kingdom
    Vacations to WDW: 20
    Vacations to DL: 2

zima-cheryl is offline C-Ticket Holder

DH & I usually grab something (ice cream, drink, etc) and pull up a bench for 30 - 45 minutes before venturing out to the bus stop. They run for 2 or 3 hours after closing, so you won't be left there. It allows the worst of the crush to clear out. And sometimes you get a bonus like the burn off after Illuminations or the Kiss Goodnight @ MK.

Another option is a cab. In a pinch we've done that. It cost a few extra $$, but can be worth it. I wouldn't do it every evening, but once in a while probably won't break the bank.
    Zima-Cheryl

Park Hopper Dad is offline Fastpass Holder

Quote Originally Posted by elvistelth View Post
    I agree with driving your own vehicle on property.When we started staying on property in 2000,we used the buses all the time.I didn't mind the wait a little and the crowds for the Allstar Resorts.I was younger then and my legs didn't bother me like they do now,so standing sometime wasn't a problem.But for the last 5-6 years,it's gotten to if I stand like that for too long,my legs and feet bother me,for most of the trip.So we started using our van and driving to places.
    Tip:if you are staying on property,just use the parking permit and you park for free at all four parks.Then,when you get to the aisle that you are directed to turn in,just before you turn in,ask the attendant standing there,if they have some special locations for on-property guests to park their own vehicles.Tell them that you were told to ask,and if it appears to fail,ask them if you could park in the aisle closet to the tram boarding point.They usually comply;it saves walking from the end of the aisle.
    Park Hopper Dad!

HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???

We rarely rent a car any longer. While at park closing I might have to wait for 3 buses they come in back to back and often load two at a time.
    I stand and walk in the park all day and a few more minutes are not going to do any harm. We always let young parents and elderly sit so we often stand. Just don't find it a big deal. Nothing to complain about. By the time we took monrail, boat or trams to get to a car it was about the same to get on a bus and then the bus driver dealt with everyone trying to get out of the parking lots. The best bus service we ever had was out of Animal Kingdom but boy, you are a bit out there from the other 3 park and DTD.

We too will take a cab here and there to get to early or late dining ressies. Might spend $30.00 at trip for 3 rides. The bell hops always put you in a approved cab. From on site to golf course cab ride has always been free.
    Some people are like Slinkies.

They aren't really good for anything,
    but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

Friends are Gods way of apologizing to us for our families.

grumpy of ohio is offline C-Ticket Holder

Quote Originally Posted by HauntedGabe View Post
    We rarely rent a car any longer. While at park closing I might have to wait for 3 buses they come in back to back and often load two at a time.
    I stand and walk in the park all day and a few more minutes are not going to do any harm. We always let young parents and elderly sit so we often stand. Just don't find it a big deal. Nothing to complain about. By the time we took monrail, boat or trams to get to a car it was about the same to get on a bus and then the bus driver dealt with everyone trying to get out of the parking lots. The best bus service we ever had was out of Animal Kingdom but boy, you are a bit out there from the other 3 park and DTD.

We too will take a cab here and there to get to early or late dining ressies. Might spend $30.00 at trip for 3 rides. The bell hops always put you in a approved cab. From on site to golf course cab ride has always been free.

Got to mostly agree with this, we never use or rent a car and we're headed down in 6 days for trip 43. We most always stay deluxe and in the MK area and our prime park is the MK. If we're beat, we leave before the end to beat the crunch or we sit it out until all the sooners line up and are gone. It's a peaceful way to end a park night, watching all the people race to the exits, we'll grab an ice creme or funnel cake and mosey around the back end of a park and watch them shut down and make our way to the park entrance and by then, the lines are pretty much gone. Disney does a fantastic job at park closing moving the masses and standing on a bus isn't all that big a deal, we've been on our feet most of the day, we've stood in a line, so waiting for a free bus isn't going to kill us. We've seen the mass exodus of cars leaving the parking lots from the buses windows, endless taillight vying for a shot to get out and find the right lane to get back to their resort, not my idea of a pleasant vacation. Even though we might be standing, our bus is moving, freezing cool from the A/C and travels roads back to the resort that cars can't travel. we'll take the buses, boats and monorails and leave the navigation and driving to Disney.

wdwkid32 is offline C-Ticket Holder

Old Key West, or Port Orleans. Never crowded at night.

Disney2000 is offline Fastpass Holder

So for a moderate resort, Port Orleans would be my best bet? We might be able to go for a moderate resort, but probably not a deluxe one... but chances are we'll end up at the all star music, and now that i'm thinking about it, it does seem like part of the experience, and in the mornings I love the random conversations you have with nice people on the buses... anyone else agree? I think i'd miss that in a car.
    The Golden age never was the present age… but with human liberty we can fulfill the promise and meaning of America. To everyone a chance. To all people, regardless of their birth the right to live, to work, to be themselves, and to become whatever their visions can combine to make them. This is the promise of America...And I foresee the American adventure to continue for a long, long time!
    ~The American Adventure, EPCOT Center

Are you 23? I am!

HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???

I love POR and the FC of Port Orleans. There are nicer hotels but this one became my favorite. POR has many bus stops so you are never far from a pick up point. FC right up front. You won't be disappointed.

Carolla is offline C-Ticket Holder

I took buses too and from SSR last week. Longest wait at either end (parks or resort) was 20 minutes. I had a seat each time and at park closing waited about 5 minutes. All in all, it was fine.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast