Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 31 to 36 of 36
Transportation Discuss Amtrak to The Happiest Place On Earth. in the Vacation Planning forums; Mike, I love taking the train to WDW, coming from Mass I usually take the early train from Providence to Washington in the Business Class, a little more but free ...
  1. #31
    WSauerbier's Avatar
    WSauerbier is offline A-Ticket holder
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Taunton Mass
    Posts
    26

    Re: Amtrak to The Happiest Place On Earth.

    Mike, I love taking the train to WDW, coming from Mass I usually take the early train from Providence to Washington in the Business Class, a little more but free soda and less people walking through is nice, although i occasionally get a snooty porter who thinks cause i am in a Mickey T-Shirt and Shorts I don't belong in business class....lolol. Once in Washington I take the later train from Washington to Kissimmee. This gives a layover in DC where I can enjoy Union Station, grab dinner (pizzeria Uno) and walk even walk to the Capitol if I want. Then I enjoy time in the First Class Lounge before they take me aboard. I usually bring a power strip so I can have extra plugs in the room so I can charge things I used during the layover. It is always a fun time.
    The Cram Zone Guide to Walt Disney World 2010, now out on Amazon.com, barnesandnoble.com and booksamillion.com

  2. #32
    wedway is offline A-Ticket holder
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Arlington, VA
    Posts
    30

    Re: Amtrak to The Happiest Place On Earth.

    so I'm weighing the cost differential between taking a flight from DC, and taking the train. How much does it cost to get from Amtrak to the parks, and what's your preferred way of doing it? I'm traveling solo, and saving money is preferred so I can get an extra dinner or two in at the better places in WDW!

  3. #33
    grumpy of ohio's Avatar
    grumpy of ohio is offline C-Ticket Holder
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Northeast Ohio
    Posts
    108

    Re: Amtrak to The Happiest Place On Earth.

    Quote Originally Posted by wedway View Post
    so I'm weighing the cost differential between taking a flight from DC, and taking the train. How much does it cost to get from Amtrak to the parks, and what's your preferred way of doing it? I'm traveling solo, and saving money is preferred so I can get an extra dinner or two in at the better places in WDW!
    Picking up the train in DC is great....no transfers just a straight shot. One tip I can offer, have a Red Cap help you board, for the price of his tip, they take you and your carry-on to the proper car and train before the rest of the others do general boarding...you are on first, no line and a pick of the seats a good 20 minutes before the main boarding begins.

    We get off in Kissimmee, closer to WDW and there are cabs there but no car rental services. We use a car service (Sunray Transportation) last 7 + trips and prefer them over the taxis. A car service will be there, they monitor the trains and even if you're running late, have never let us down and are standing there with their greeting sign and retrieve our luggage and then they include a 30 minute grocery stop, which we enjoy alot, snacks, drinks, lunch meats and alcohol for our noon time pool parties saves us alot of money, and it's included. Five years ago a cab from Kissimmee to WL ran us 38.00 one way and our last trip (August 2009) Sunray cost us 100.00 round trip....it's alittle more but the grocery stop is important to us and the clean, personalized service is also high on our list and they are there to greet us when leaving and returning home, best service ever.

    I don't fly so use Amtrak and like a no hassle trip so that's why we use Sunray, no worries in 7 years and as many trips. As for saving money for better meals....we can't find any meals, TS, worth the money, sorry but the food at Disney has gone down hill and we don't like to waste the time a TS meal takes up plus we're a non dining plan type of people, hate ADR's and schedules so we travel by the seat of our pants and after 43 trips, no problems or regrets, always have a great time and have snagged so meal reserving the day before and that day. Have a great trip and enjoy the train.

  4. #34
    GIOny's Avatar
    GIOny is offline Premium Annual Passholder
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    ny
    Posts
    6,885

    Re: Amtrak to The Happiest Place On Earth.

    Quote Originally Posted by grumpy of ohio View Post

    We get off in Kissimmee, closer to WDW and there are cabs there but no car rental services. We use a car service (Sunray Transportation) last 7 + trips and prefer them over the taxis. A car service will be there, they monitor the trains and even if you're running late, have never let us down and are standing there with their greeting sign and retrieve our luggage and then they include a 30 minute grocery stop, which we enjoy alot, snacks, drinks, lunch meats and alcohol for our noon time pool parties saves us alot of money, and it's included. Five years ago a cab from Kissimmee to WL ran us 38.00 one way and our last trip (August 2009) Sunray cost us 100.00 round trip....it's alittle more but the grocery stop is important to us and the clean, personalized service is also high on our list and they are there to greet us when leaving and returning home, best service ever.

    I don't fly so use Amtrak and like a no hassle trip so that's why we use Sunray, no worries in 7 years and as many trips. As for saving money for better meals....we can't find any meals, TS, worth the money, sorry but the food at Disney has gone down hill and we don't like to waste the time a TS meal takes up plus we're a non dining plan type of people, hate ADR's and schedules so we travel by the seat of our pants and after 43 trips, no problems or regrets, always have a great time and have snagged so meal reserving the day before and that day. Have a great trip and enjoy the train.
    I don't fly either so the train sounds like a good option, It's been several years since we took the auto train but it was somewhat difficult since my son was just learning to walk and he was all over the place. How is the food on the train?? The $38.00 one way sounds like a fair price considering one night a couple years ago we had to take a cab from the Contemporary to the Poly and that was $12.00 plus tip one way (the monorail had shut down for the night). I take alot of cabs (at home) and I know in the scheme of things that doesn't seem like alot of money but Poly/Contemporary are right across from each other. My guess is that it's alot more now.
    It's kind of fun to do the impossible!















  5. #35
    grumpy of ohio's Avatar
    grumpy of ohio is offline C-Ticket Holder
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Northeast Ohio
    Posts
    108

    Re: Amtrak to The Happiest Place On Earth.

    Quote Originally Posted by GIOny View Post
    I don't fly either so the train sounds like a good option, It's been several years since we took the auto train but it was somewhat difficult since my son was just learning to walk and he was all over the place. How is the food on the train?? The $38.00 one way sounds like a fair price considering one night a couple years ago we had to take a cab from the Contemporary to the Poly and that was $12.00 plus tip one way (the monorail had shut down for the night). I take alot of cabs (at home) and I know in the scheme of things that doesn't seem like alot of money but Poly/Contemporary are right across from each other. My guess is that it's alot more now.
    We use regular Amtrak from northeast Ohio and after we switch trains in DC, we sometimes ask if any sleepers are available, roomette for just the 2 of us, and they include all meals. We have been lucky and snagged some for about pre-booked cost so it's kind of a money saver if you figure in the meals we get. That being said, the dining car meals are really good, china dishes and real silverware but pricey. There's 2 dining cars, one for coach and one for the sleepers and if we aren't doing the sleeper and riding coach, we pack sandwiches, snacks and drinks and just eat in our seats, like I said, the dining car is expensive. There's also a club car where you can get a sandwich, hamburger, personal pizza or bowl of soup that's reasonably priced plus drinks. they have danish and coffee and the like in the am which isn't to bad but I sort of like my own cooking so we pack sandwiches, fried chicken is a small cooler and munch our way to Florida. Here's alittle tip, take a small blanket, it gets mighty cold in the evening from the A/C, we curl up in our pair of seats, pull our cooler out with our picnic stuff and drinks, whip out a good book and recline our seats and watch the country roll on by, no need to hit the dining car and before you know it, one sleep and we're in WDW.

    As for the cab fare, that was over 5 years ago. I read others that post taking a cab around WDW to avoid the buses but just to sit in one it's about 5.50 plus so much per mile and can get quite expensive for alittle convenience, we're soley Disney transportation people and don't mind using the buses and boats and alittle waiting or standing. We're there long enough to get alot done and aren't in any hurry while on vacation and I feel the buses are park of the fun. We can do some lounge hopping and not worry about driving. When I'm on vacation, not driving is one reason we keep going back to WDW. We're dead set on the car service, the grocery stop alone saves us a ton of money on soda, beer, wine orange juice and I like nothing better than making some sandwiches and hitting the pool every noon with some drinks. Bakery rolls, salami, ham, cheeses, pastrami, chips and what not can't be beat so the 100.00 round trip figure is equivalent to 2 cab fares and a grocery delivery plus the cabs in Florida (which we used for a few trips before car service) were awful, smelly, dirty and the driver never understood English.

    I don't mind paying but don't want to just throw my money about and after 43 trips to WDW, and most by Amtrak, we keep the costs to a mininum, stay deluxe and have the best time ever enjoying our trip our way.

  6. #36
    GIOny's Avatar
    GIOny is offline Premium Annual Passholder
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    ny
    Posts
    6,885

    Re: Amtrak to The Happiest Place On Earth.

    Thanks for all the info
    It's kind of fun to do the impossible!















Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Similar Threads

  1. WDW The Happiest Celebration on Earth CD
    By IronFozzie in forum Disney Movies, Music, TV, Theater & Books
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-08-2008, 04:54 PM
  2. Disney's Happiest Celebration on Earth CD
    By rosworms in forum Disney Movies, Music, TV, Theater & Books
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01-30-2006, 07:45 PM
  3. Happiest Celebration On Earth
    By Tinkerbelle in forum General Discussions
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 06-10-2005, 08:31 AM
  4. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-03-2005, 12:10 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •