Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Transportation Discuss The Long Drive from the North... in the Vacation Planning forums; Hey All... I'm planning another trip down to the World in early June, and this will be the first one since 1976 in which I'm (ulp) driving. We're coming from ...
    VGL_Lynx is offline B-Ticket Holder

The Long Drive from the North...

Hey All...

I'm planning another trip down to the World in early June, and this will be the first one since 1976 in which I'm (ulp) driving. We're coming from Mid Michigan and I'm running into an interesting quandry:

Which way South is Best? Mapquest diverts you fairly far West to take 69 through Indiana to 465 to 65 (Kentucky) to I-24 (Georgia/Tennessee) and then to 75 South through Florida. When I look at the map, it looks like 75 South is the direct route, why not just take it all the way South?

Is it the hassle of of 75 around Cincinatti that is the problem? More truck traffic on 75?

Any hints would be good. Thanks gang,

-Lynx

TTAfanatic is offline E-Ticket Holder

Re: The Long Drive from the North...

I highly recommend getting a Tom Tom or Garmin, it helped a lot with my trip, even finding my way back to the hotel at night, or finding a grocery store or Target if you need supplies.

2001 - Caribbean Beach
    2008 - Pop Century
    2010 - Port Orleans Riverside

www.twitter.com/nickphillips97

I proudly support The FairTax!
    www.FairTax.org

GIOny is offline Premium Annual Passholder

Honestly I have no idea which way is best, I drive down from NY so I take 95 straight down, but I do know that I don't trust mapquest. They have screwed me up serveral times, so if you see something that looks better on the map I would take that. Also if you belong to AAA they do trip ticks and map everything out for you....at least they use to.
    It's kind of fun to do the impossible!

Disney05 is offline Premium Annual Passholder

See what www.randmcnally.com says.
    When you wish upon a star.....
    LAUGHTER IS TIMELESS, IMAGINATION HAS NO AGE AND DREAMS ARE FOREVER.
    Adults are only kids grown up, anyway. WD
    ...That's the real trouble with the world. Too many people grow up. WD
    "For those who get it, no explanation is necessary. For those who don't, no explanation will do."

http://wdwhomesick.wordpress.com/

Serkazong is offline Keep to the code.

Quote Originally Posted by VGL_Lynx View Post
    Hey All...

I'm planning another trip down to the World in early June, and this will be the first one since 1976 in which I'm (ulp) driving. We're coming from Mid Michigan and I'm running into an interesting quandry:

Which way South is Best? Mapquest diverts you fairly far West to take 69 through Indiana to 465 to 65 (Kentucky) to I-24 (Georgia/Tennessee) and then to 75 South through Florida. When I look at the map, it looks like 75 South is the direct route, why not just take it all the way South?

Is it the hassle of of 75 around Cincinatti that is the problem? More truck traffic on 75?

-Lynx
    I would take I-75. My only question is, what time would you be going through Cincinatti? Weekday mornings and afternoons are a mess, but if you went through during the night, it wouldn't be bad. The I-275 bypass is the long way around, but I would use it if you get there during peak times. A lot of this route between Dayton and Cincinatti gives you an extra lane or two which will help with the truck traffic. I'm not sure about construction zones, but it seems like they are always doing something in this area, so you may want to check that out before you leave. Once you see the big water tower in Florence, KY you will be home free!

P.S. Take a "Disney's Greatest" CD with you for the trip to prevent road rage.

J&J
    J&J is offline E-Ticket Holder

did you look at yahoo or google maps? they might be a big help.
    J&J

LordQx4 is offline B-Ticket Holder

Lynx, like you I am going down in early June and driving as well, but since I am from NJ, I am just take 95 down (like GlOny). I also have used map quest in the past and have gotten burned, so I checked other sites as well, like Yahoo's directions and RandMcnally's and compared them all. Im sure any way you go, once you get there it will be a great time. Enjoy.
    Disney Stock Holder, D23 Member, DVC Member, AP Holder

Park Hopper Dad is offline Fastpass Holder

Lynx,
    Unless you just have to drive or are used to driving long distances,you'd better fly.I personally do not long drives.I live only 400 miles from WDW and I can't stand to drive it.But we still have to drive it,because we have to take certain things with us.I'd consider flying,myself.Rental cars aren't that bad.
    Park Hopper Dad!

VGL_Lynx is offline B-Ticket Holder

Thanks all. ParkHopperDad, it comes down to finances. For where we live, airfare for a family of 5 is the killer. It's going to be an adventure for sure. We picked up a Garmin GPS unit, and are comparing several routes now.

Park Hopper Dad is offline Fastpass Holder

I fully understand.I hope it works out just perfect for yall.Have a safe trip.
    Park Hopper Dad!

HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???

From Chicago:

I haven't driven to WDW in a long while however we always took the route
    through Indiana Kentucky Tennessee Georgia (we took the bypass around Atlanta, longer but shorter in time). Just try and get through Chattanooga during the daylight, it is confusing and take her slow through the hills unless your are accustomed to driving them.

After one trip to Cleveland with my son as a babe we flew to WDW yearly. Now that both kids have drivers licenses we too are considering a rode trip.
    Some people are like Slinkies.

They aren't really good for anything,
    but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

Friends are Gods way of apologizing to us for our families.

nicks10 is offline @nick_straka

We will be making the drive from Illinois in August for free dining!
    -Nick

"Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow and fantasy"

Bobby2 is offline C-Ticket Holder

We should rent an extended van and all carpool!

grumpy of ohio is offline C-Ticket Holder

Our deal from when we used to drive from northeast Ohio was I-77 to 26 to 95 and then I-4. We've gone out of our way some by doing I-71 to Cincinnati and then I-75 to Florida. I detest the mountains and traffic on I-77, I-75 a bunch of years ago was very nice, few semis but that Cincinnati and Atlanta towns will try your patience. We've moved on years ago and let Amtrak do the driving, cost us about the same, alittle longer in travel time but we don't have to navigate, stress about time and traffic and worry about breakdowns.

Tim
    Tim is offline D-Ticket Holder

Quote Originally Posted by VGL_Lynx View Post
    Hey All...

-Lynx
    For what it's worth, we drive from Chicago. We take 294 south, thru Indianapolis, Louisville, Chattanooga, Atlanta, then to Disney. We have never diverted from this route and it has served us well. You can always use the Atlanta bypass which we don't, and you only skirt the mountains through Tennessee and Kentucky, it's not like driving at altitude or anything.
    Tim