Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Transportation Discuss Pop Century to Convention Center in the Vacation Planning forums; I'm visiting WDW for the first time in June, in conjunction with a convention I'm attending at the Orange County Convention Center. I'll be staying at Pop Century and was ...
    ctsjon is offline A-Ticket holder

Pop Century to Convention Center

I'm visiting WDW for the first time in June, in conjunction with a convention I'm attending at the Orange County Convention Center. I'll be staying at Pop Century and was not planning to rent a car. I was wondering if anyone knew if there was any regular transportation services between WDW and the Convention Center that I might utilize, and if so, how I might utilize it. Thanks!

-Jon

TestSherpa is offline D-Ticket Holder

Re: Pop Century to Convention Center

I believe your best bet is a taxi. You could get a Disney bus to Downtown Disney and then taxi it over to the convention center.
    M
    Founder of TestSherpa LSAT Test Preparation
    The LSAT is not as fun as the Haunted Mansion, but just as scary.

How early are DTD buses running from Pop, and any idea what a Taxi to the convention center would cost? Another possibility for me is to get to POR, as that is one of the host hotels for the convention(and the only one in the WDW resort). I believe there will be a courtesy shuttle from there.

-Jon

tizzo is offline E-Ticket Holder

Quote Originally Posted by ctsjon View Post
    I'm visiting WDW for the first time in June, in conjunction with a convention I'm attending at the Orange County Convention Center. I'll be staying at Pop Century and was not planning to rent a car. I was wondering if anyone knew if there was any regular transportation services between WDW and the Convention Center that I might utilize, and if so, how I might utilize it. Thanks!
    You might want to check out the regional Lynx bus service. They have a web site at:

LYNX Central Florida Regional Transportation Authority

They have schedule and route information there, and a trip planner (identified as being in BETA) that lets you put in a starting and ending point and I presume tells you what bus or buses you need to take. I ran a quick search, and it looks like there's a Lynx bus shelter on Victory Way right outside the Pop Century gate. However it appears to be a three bus proposition to get from there to the convention center, with total travel time ranging from an hour to an hour and a half. It's probably no more than a 20-30 minute drive, so there's obviously a penalty in terms of time here.

The good news is it's cheap - $2.

Note that I've never used this service before. I don't know how much it costs, how efficient it is, or how good it is at being on time.

If you're going to take a cab, you may as well have them pick you up at your resort instead of taking a bus to DTD. The hotel staff should be able to arrange that for you.

Tony

tizzo is offline E-Ticket Holder

Quote Originally Posted by ctsjon View Post
    How early are DTD buses running from Pop, and any idea what a Taxi to the convention center would cost? Another possibility for me is to get to POR, as that is one of the host hotels for the convention(and the only one in the WDW resort). I believe there will be a courtesy shuttle from there.
    I missed the part about POR. If they're running a courtesy shuttle to the convention center, my first choice would probably be to find my way over there and take the shuttle.

I don't know much about inter-resort transportation -- maybe some else can advise there. But there may not be a bus from your resort to POR. You'd probably have to change somewhere like DTD. However if you're contemplating a cab anyway, you may as well take a cab to POR and take the shuttle from there. I don't know what a cab costs in either case, but it's a much shorter ride to POR than it is to the convention center so it should certainly be cheaper.

Thanks for the information everybody. It's very helpful. I checked the LYNX website and it looks like they can get me from DTD to the convention center in less than 45 minutes with one transfer. Not bad, and at $2, I'm sure it's cheaper than a taxi.

On the other hand, what about DTD to POR? Are the boats the only way to go, or do they run busses as well?

-Jon