Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Transportation Discuss Animal Kingdom to Parks in the Vacation Planning forums; Hi All~ We are staying at the Animal Kingdom Lodge in September. I know that all parks are directly accessible by bus only. Can anyone tell me about how long ...
    aprilhendrix9 is offline B-Ticket Holder

Animal Kingdom to Parks

Hi All~
    We are staying at the Animal Kingdom Lodge in September. I know that all parks are directly accessible by bus only. Can anyone tell me about how long we can expect to wait for the buses leaving from AK to the parks and about how long the rides are?
    We are not afraid to wait but our last trip we stayed at the Polynesian and with 2 parks accessible by monorail right there, we were able to come back in the middle of the day and swim/take naps and get ready for a night out. I just wandered if staying at AKL is going to make this very difficult or just a little bit more inconvenience.

Thanks!
    april

Counting down 'til September 21!
    This September!! . . . 2010-6 days-Animal Kingdom
    1994-1 day-Mgic Kingdom-Off Site
    1995-1 day-Magic Kingdom-Off Site
    2008-5 days-Polynesian

Carolla is offline C-Ticket Holder

Re: Animal Kingdom to Parks

When I stayed there the buses ran VERY frequently. I don't recall waiting more then 15 minutes or so. The trips really don't seem to take that long ESPECIALLY since they are direct. No stopping at other resorts like the bus service from the other "deluxe" hotels! And I have NEVER been stuck on a bus for 45 minutes "waiting for clearance" (which has happened to me twice on the monorial. I admit it's my least favorite Disney transport. Once you get over "wow" it becomes "this is really not that great" IMHO)

WDW4Ever is offline Annual Passholder

I stayed there last in July 2008 and busses ran very INFREQUENTLY. Ironically we waited the longest to get from AK to AKL. About 20 minutes. All the others were usually about 10 minute waits.
    "If you can dream it you can do it."
    -Tom Fitzgerald
    D23 Charter Member

LordQx4 is offline B-Ticket Holder

I have stayed at Animal Kingdom 2 or 3 times now and have never had an issue with the buses at all. I only use the Disney Transportation system while in WDW so I may be a little biased on it. I may have waited for a bus longer then 20 minutes at times but then other buses were pulling up right when I reached the bus stop. IMO, it all evens out in the end.

The longest ride from AKL from my experience is going to the Magic Kingdom which was a bout a 15 minute ride or so. The other parks weren't as bad, especially going to AK.
    Disney Stock Holder, D23 Member, DVC Member, AP Holder

bigthundermicky is offline C-Ticket Holder

My wife and I are DVC members and our home resort is AKL. The bus wait times have never been more than 10 minutes for any park. They run very frequently. The times are about the same to get to the MK is about 15 - 20 minutes of drive time. The last time I stayed at the Polynesian, the bus drive time to get to the AK from Poly is the same time to get from AK to the MK. We are biased because we love the AKL so much. It will be well worth the stay.

grumpy of ohio is offline C-Ticket Holder

I may be biased too....we've stayed at the AKL once and we're Disney transportation users all the way but didn't care for the service there, no real organization for lining up, to me a mess. Being biased, I mean we usually stay at deluxe resorts that have 2 options, monorail and bus or boat and bus, I like having the 2 options to break up the monotony of travel. We're fans of the MK and staying at AKL made the trek there a real pain, probably my biggest peeve was getting to and leaving AK back to AKL took longer than usual, we waited for the AKL bus too long for being that close, resort to park. Just my opinon but it cured us of staying at the AKL again. AKL does have its fans, we're just not one of them based on location and resort layout.

Neeka7701 is offline B-Ticket Holder

I stayed there at 2001 and 2002 and the busses rarely ever came!! We had to wait 15 minutes at least every time we waited for a busI don't know if any of that has changed but I loved the resort other than that!
    My Walt Disney World Vacations
    2001-Animal Kingdom Lodge
    2002-Animal Kingdom Lodge
    2003-Beach Club
    2004-Beach Club
    2005-Beach Club
    2006-Beach Club and Beach Club at Christmas
    2007-Beach Club
    2008-Beach Club
    2009-Port Orleans Riverside
    2010-Port Orleans Riverside

I Love that little Duck!