Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Transportation Discuss Carry-On Luggage Fees; Spirit Airlines in the Vacation Planning forums; woo hoo.. i will try that...
    Chrissy&Tayen is offline counting down to my vacation

Re: Carry-On Luggage Fees; Spirit Airlines

woo hoo.. i will try that
    All Star Sports July 2006
    All Star Movies October 2007
    Coronado Spring February 2010
    Pop Century October 2010
    All Star Movies September 2011
    Pop Century September 2012
    Chrissy

DONE!! our plane is 3 seats on one side and 2 on the other.. so i got us 2 seats together on the 2 seat side so i only have to climb over my hubby to go pee..lol
    Pop Century October 2010
    Chrissy

zippitydoodah is offline Annual Passholder

Quote Originally Posted by GoofyRulez View Post
    I am flying Airtran and I have flown them all over the country for business. They are comfortable and courteous. They only charge $15 to check a suitcase and no charge for carry-ons. I will never fly anyone else again.

Hm I was going to book flights with Airtran and my travel agent advised against it... she said they will add on hidden fees and that they frequently cancel flights with very little warning. I'm from near Toronto and it's much cheaper to fly from Buffalo if I'm going to the US (no international taxes), but WITHIN Canada it's awesome. I can't believe the fees American airlines make you pay for... Air Canada lets you have your carry on plus TWO checked suitcases for free. Even an infant not occupying a seat is allowed two suitcases! If you're in first class you get 3 bags.

i didnt have any hidden fees.. i am aware of the baggage deal as most airlines charge for them now of days.. and their were fees for choosing some seats.. but the seats i chose had no extra fees.. im sittin in the back part of the plane but oh well
    Pop Century October 2010
    Chrissy

Quote Originally Posted by Chrissy&Tayen View Post
    i didnt have any hidden fees.. i am aware of the baggage deal as most airlines charge for them now of days.. and their were fees for choosing some seats.. but the seats i chose had no extra fees.. im sittin in the back part of the plane but oh well

Well that's good. I always choose driving the two full days over flying cause well, $200 in gas round trip split between multiple people in the car will never be beat by any airline, even with a night in a hotel. But for the cruise I'm going to fly and I'm trying to find whatever is cheapest. I'm sure Airtran is fine, I just was about to book but since I'm not American and don't know much about the airlines I decided to ask my travel agent, and she said not to. I guess with the last minute canceled flights it would be especially bad for a cruise when you NEED to be there on time, so maybe that's part of why she advised me not to. Also because there are cancellation/change of reservation fees.

yep they said to fly in earlier would cost me $75 plus the price difference
    Pop Century October 2010
    Chrissy

GoofyRulez is offline D-Ticket Holder

Quote Originally Posted by zippitydoodah View Post
    Hm I was going to book flights with Airtran and my travel agent advised against it... she said they will add on hidden fees and that they frequently cancel flights with very little warning. I'm from near Toronto and it's much cheaper to fly from Buffalo if I'm going to the US (no international taxes), but WITHIN Canada it's awesome. I can't believe the fees American airlines make you pay for... Air Canada lets you have your carry on plus TWO checked suitcases for free. Even an infant not occupying a seat is allowed two suitcases! If you're in first class you get 3 bags.
    Unfortunately Reagan deregulated the airline industry in the US some years ago and in rescent years the airlines have used this to charge us whatever they feel and in some cases treat their passengers like crud. It is disgusting but they know they have you by the short curlys.
    Goofy Rulez

D23 Member Since September 2010

Walt Disney's
    Carolwood Pacific Railroad
    Member Since March 2011

June,1978-First Time-Off Property
    April,1994-My 24th Birthday-1 Day Trip
    Nov,1995-1 Day trip
    Aug,1997-1 Day Trip
    Sept,1998-Our Disneymoon-All Star Music
    June,2003-1 Day Trip
    Aug,2010-Caribbean Beach Resort
    Aug,2012-All Star Movie

oh so true..
    Pop Century October 2010
    Chrissy

Unfortunately Reagan deregulated the airline industry in the US some years ago and in rescent years the airlines have used this to charge us whatever they feel and in some cases treat their passengers like crud. It is disgusting but they know they have you by the short curlys.
    Boo! Well, even with all the charges, flying out of Toronto is still much more expensive due to the international taxes. The cheapest flights I can find will still cost my boyfriend and I over $1000 (total, not each). If I had the money I would probably do it anyways because there are no hidden fees and the airport is closer so we can get family or friends to drive us in the morning and don't have to worry about parking. Plus even the cheaper flights have touch screen personal tv's with movies and tv shows. They're nice planes and it would be SO much easier... but I can't afford $1000 on flights so to Buffalo I will go.

i dont blame you at all.. we live near huntington wv.. and i can fly outta there or outta charleston wv.. both closer to home.. but the tickets are like $100 more each.. and outta huntington.. they only fly on certain days of the week.. but flying outta columbus OH it was cheaper, and no plane changes.. but we have to drive a lil drive there and back when we get home.. but for over $200 in savings.. its worth it to me.. because my hubby has a company car and our gas is free.
    Pop Century October 2010
    Chrissy

Quote Originally Posted by Chrissy&Tayen View Post
    DONE!! our plane is 3 seats on one side and 2 on the other.. so i got us 2 seats together on the 2 seat side so i only have to climb over my hubby to go pee..lol
    I am glad evrything worked out for you
    Goofy Rulez

Walt Disney's
    Member Since March 2011

Nov,1995-1 Day trip
    Aug,1997-1 Day Trip
    June,2003-1 Day Trip
    Aug,2012-All Star Movie

Carolla is offline C-Ticket Holder

And when they re-regulate.. Boy will the whining get loud LOL!

Think about it, the effect of deregulation... MUCH cheaper fares. You can fly to Orlando now for less then you could PRIOR to de-regulation... Got any other transport that's cheaper in that time period? Didn't think so! LOL!

It's a trade off. Americans whine about the fees, they whine about the service, but the real truth... When it comes time to fork over the $$ it's "WHAT'S CHEAPEST" not "what's best" AA several years ago tried "more room in coach" for example, giving us more room because when surveyed we said "that's what we want" but when it came time to hit the "purchase" button..... "well AirTran, Delta etc... are $10 cheaper" So AA put in more seats, lowered the cost as we really requested. There are several examples of this....

We are getting what we are paying for... and in most cases leisure travelers aren't even paying the fixed costs of their flight.... Something has to give? Which would you perfer, more fees that you don't always have to pay, higher costs, or less maintenance? Because those are your options. The airlines have cut service and keep adding fees. I perfer that over "don't do manitenance" option.

Spirit is A PRIME example. You don't HAVE to fly them. But what folks see is "cheap", then they get shocked when there is no service and ton of extra fees.... I wouldn't fly them no matter how cheap. I believe you vote with your pocketbook and as long as people keep BUYING tickets they will see NO reason to change!

Before they de-regulated, being a pilot was considered a high paying job. Not so much now. In my experience, you get what you pay for and they aren't paying alot for pilots these days. I guess it doesnt help when you castrate their union either. Before they de-regulated, they didn't sit your plane at the end of a tarmack for hours on end. Before the de-regulated, flight attendants weren't snotty with a terrible attitude. Before they de-regulated, they didn't cancel your flight in the middle of the night and not call to inform you. I can understand cutting meals and adding a few more seats. But when you cut back on "service with a smile" it doesn't bode well. "Service with a smile" doesn't cost a dime. I believe that the airlines that are going to survive are the ones that remember that the passengers on the plane are not an inconvience, they are a cutomer. I've always been told that you need to treat the cutomer with respect.
    Goofy Rulez

Walt Disney's
    Member Since March 2011

Nov,1995-1 Day trip
    Aug,1997-1 Day Trip
    June,2003-1 Day Trip
    Aug,2012-All Star Movie

Before they de-regulated, being a pilot was considered a high paying job. Not so much now. In my experience, you get what you pay for and they aren't paying alot for pilots these days. I guess it doesnt help when you castrate their union either. Before they de-regulated, they didn't sit your plane at the end of a tarmack for hours on end. Before the de-regulated, flight attendants weren't snotty with a terrible attitude. Before they de-regulated, they didn't cancel your flight in the middle of the night and not call to inform you. I can understand cutting meals and adding a few more seats. But when you cut back on "service with a smile" it doesn't bode well. "Service with a smile" doesn't cost a dime. I believe that the airlines that are going to survive are the ones that remember that the passengers on the plane are not an inconvience, they are a cutomer. I've always been told that you need to treat the cutomer with respect.
    Hm. Unhappy pilots= are planes going to be as safe now? I'm a VERY nervous flier and I don't like the idea of disgruntled pilots. Pay them more! As soon as I can afford to I'm flying wonderful, reliable, multiple free bags Air Canada. I flew to Newfoundland on AC, and it was a TINY 4 person across plane, and it was to an airport that was just one room (you had to climb stairs to board and exit), and yet every seat had a personal touch screen tv, there were plenty of snacks and drinks, the seats were comfy and the flight attendants were lovely and friendly.

SnwhtNdwrfs is online now Dancing with the dwarfs!
    Being entertained by the voices in my head

I have flown AirTran once. Our flight was moved from 11 a.m. to 7 a.m. Not any clue why. Since we are 3 hours away from the airport we were flying out of, we had to go and spend an extra night (additional cost). So by the time we got two rooms (large family), the savings for flying them was gone.

Can only fly American out of here. Really the cost hasn't been too horrible when I consider time to drive and gas. Parking costs the same but my time is worth a lot. Plus after a tiring trip, it isn't that safe to drive 3 hours. Almost fell asleep once when we did that. Not going to again.

While not a fan of the baggage fees, I don't see them going away. So it is just something I budget for. As long as they don't charge for carry on- I will be okay.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast