Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Transportation Discuss Is it time for Disney to Bite the Bullet? in the Vacation Planning forums; this problem is becoming horrific. How much was each train back when they built it? and i wish there was a like button because some of your peoples comments are ...
    daleycss is offline A-Ticket holder

Re: Is it time for Disney to Bite the Bullet?

this problem is becoming horrific. How much was each train back when they built it? and i wish there was a like button because some of your peoples comments are funny.....

StewbotTalborg is offline Fastpass Holder

Quote Originally Posted by HauntedGabe View Post
    Building another GF DVC and likely on at the Poly next....right after BL DVC at the Contemporary, how can they not address it? (that question doesn't really need to be answered, lol)
    I would like to think that they would fix the problem before they get in too deep with those projects.

The monorail is a huge selling point to those resorts, it's iconic even. It seems like Disney would want the monorail in better working order to try and sell people on DVC property on the monorail loop... But maybe they think the proximity to the parks is enough of a selling point.

Mo Noyz is offline Unfortunately, this user's actions have resulted in him/her being BANNED from the site

Until it becomes common knowledge that the monorail system is in disrepair I think Disney will stick with what they're doing.

Us Disney nerds may know better, but the average visitor will simply say "hey, it's on the monorail line!" when making their decision.

good point but the average person is gonna say hey cool lets ride the monorail. only to get onto it and then breaking down and waiting a long time... Its true most people will never realize but the problem is is that as more and more people come, the less better theyre getting. They need to fix this..

supernova is offline Premium Annual Passholder

Quote Originally Posted by daleycss View Post
    this problem is becoming horrific. How much was each train back when they built it? and i wish there was a like button because some of your peoples comments are funny.....
    I always just quote it and write a complimentary remark. Figure maybe it'll brighten the poster's day.
    Last edited by supernova; 01-21-2012 at 09:29 PM.
    Please visit my new DISNEY AUTOGRAPH website to check out my autograph collection!
    www.autographshowcase.com/disney

Really Walt? Disneyland is MY land? Why would I want a silly little land when I can have the WORLD.

Hitch450 is offline A-Ticket holder

I haven't been to WDW in a very, very long time. I didn't realize the monorail system had become this bad.

So since I'm driving there, I guess I should try to avoid Disney transportation as much as possible on my upcoming trip. Take the ferry to the MK entrance instead of the monorail?

Quote Originally Posted by Hitch450 View Post
    I haven't been to WDW in a very, very long time. I didn't realize the monorail system had become this bad.

So since I'm driving there, I guess I should try to avoid Disney transportation as much as possible on my upcoming trip. Take the ferry to the MK entrance instead of the monorail?
    Dont worry its not as bad as you think. Youre trip will be fine whichever transportation choice you use. The monorails aren't as awful as were talking them up to be. Theres a very good chance you will be fine on the monorail.

Mo Noyz is offline Unfortunately, this user's actions have resulted in him/her being BANNED from the site

Right, it's not as though they're falling apart and derailing...

It's just when you compare the monorail system in its current state to the way it was, say, a decade ago it becomes rather clear that the entire monorail line is in need of refurbishment.

Train breakdowns are far too common for a system that is a major backbone to the first two gates and three resorts.

HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???

Quote Originally Posted by daleycss View Post
    Dont worry its not as bad as you think. Youre trip will be fine whichever transportation choice you use. The monorails aren't as awful as were talking them up to be. Theres a very good chance you will be fine on the monorail.
    Im curious as to why you think that. It is widely known they are repeatedly breaking down and not just for minutes. The ferries cant handle the overflow at peak hours. Then you have so many guests off the trams slammed into the TTC trying to get onto make shift buses? Have you seen the pictures? Angry guests thare either stuck on monorails or cannot get to Epcot or the MK. It isnt that Magical for guests or CMs.
    Some people are like Slinkies.

They aren't really good for anything,
    but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

Friends are Gods way of apologizing to us for our families.

When we were there for 6 days we got caught twice in a monorail station. Once for a train breakdown and tow on the EPCOT loop (lasted about 20 minutes), and once at the MK due to a train switch (lasted 10-12 minutes). Now, we rode the monorail every day of our stay, and multiple times a day at that.

That isn't what could be deemed excessive, IMO.

You are far more tolerant than I am. Any system that breaks down twice on a visit to me isn't operating correctly. That is also just when you were on it. How many more times during that six day period when you were not on it?

I remember the pictures from Christmas morning where the TTC was just mobbed with guests trying to get to the MK. The two ferry's couldn't handle it and it was down more than an hour. Merry Christmas.

but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

It broke down once. The second was a train switch.

And that use to be news. While I've never heard Lou discuss the monorails condition I've heard many others speak openly about how it is no longer unusual for the monorail to breakdown. Poly guests opting to walk from TTC vs waiting for the monorail to come back up. Been going to the World for several decades, this isn't the norm.

I still think it is time they bite the bullet and pour some big time dollars into the system as they continue to add DVC's to that Monorail line. Heck they can't even keep it open until EMH's empty out anymore.

I agree it needs some serious attention. I just think daleycss has it more correct as to the severity of the problem.

StitchGal23 is offline B-Ticket Holder

Monorails are a Disney classic; I'd hate to see them go.
    Four Parks, One Dream

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast