Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Transportation Discuss Is it time for Disney to Bite the Bullet? in the Vacation Planning forums; Originally Posted by StitchGal23 Monorails are a Disney classic; I'd hate to see them go. They're not going anywhere, obviously. And I'm not really sure what the original poster meant ...
    supernova is offline Premium Annual Passholder

Re: Is it time for Disney to Bite the Bullet?

Quote Originally Posted by StitchGal23 View Post
    Monorails are a Disney classic; I'd hate to see them go.
    They're not going anywhere, obviously. And I'm not really sure what the original poster meant by "bite the bullet". If they meant to remove the monorail, obviously that's not going to happen. If they meant move up to the next generation, then yes, that seems a bit more reasonable.
    Please visit my new DISNEY AUTOGRAPH website to check out my autograph collection!
    www.autographshowcase.com/disney

Really Walt? Disneyland is MY land? Why would I want a silly little land when I can have the WORLD.

HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???

Quote Originally Posted by supernova View Post
    They're not going anywhere, obviously. And I'm not really sure what the original poster meant by "bite the bullet". If they meant to remove the monorail, obviously that's not going to happen. If they meant move up to the next generation, then yes, that seems a bit more reasonable.
    Quote Originally Posted by HauntedGabe View Post

I still think it is time they bite the bullet and pour some big time dollars into the system as they continue to add DVC's to that Monorail line. Heck they can't even keep it open until EMH's empty out anymore.
    Hmmm....don't know how much clearer I can make it for you.
    Some people are like Slinkies.

They aren't really good for anything,
    but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

Friends are Gods way of apologizing to us for our families.

Hitch450 is offline A-Ticket holder

I just hope they do something soon before it gets way out of hand. For people who don't get to go to the parks very often, the monorail is a pretty big deal.

mickeytoo is offline Imagineer in heart and soul...!

And that use to be news. While I've never heard Lou discuss the monorails condition I've heard many others speak openly about how it is no longer unusual for the monorail to breakdown. Poly guests opting to walk from TTC vs waiting for the monorail to come back up. Been going to the World for several decades, this isn't the norm.

I still think it is time they bite the bullet and pour some big time dollars into the system as they continue to add DVC's to that Monorail line. Heck they can't even keep it open until EMH's empty out anymore.
    Yep, this is just another of the continually snowballin' issues that'd make Walt spittin' mad.
    I always like to look on the optimistic side of life, but I am realistic enough to know that life is a complex matter.
    ~ you know who

ohiodisneydad is offline Hi, my name is David and I like Beverly.

Quote Originally Posted by supernova View Post
    Time to move up to Mark VII's.
    Good choice but I feel the Raptor would be more suited to hauling large amounts of park guests.
    "Life is an occassion. Rise to it."- Mr. Magorium
    "Welcome Home"- Best words you'll ever hear when you check in at a Disney Resort

daleycss is offline A-Ticket holder

Quote Originally Posted by ohiodisneydad View Post
    Good choice but I feel the Raptor would be more suited to hauling large amounts of park guests.
    not sure if this is a joke or i just don't know what a raptor is... Picture or link for a sadly misinformed person? Please?

Quote Originally Posted by daleycss View Post
    not sure if this is a joke or i just don't know what a raptor is... Picture or link for a sadly misinformed person? Please?
    Sure! Here ya go! They are ships from the reimagined Battlestar Galactica on Syfy. So 'nova and I were allowing our geek side to show.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Viper_Mark_VII#Variants

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colonial_Raptor
    "Welcome Home"- Best words you'll ever hear when you check in at a Disney Resort

Mo Noyz is offline Unfortunately, this user's actions have resulted in him/her being BANNED from the site

Well, they were on the original also.

Originally Posted by supernova

Originally Posted by HauntedGabe

Hmmm....don't know how much clearer I can make it for you.
    Easy there, toots. Considering your original post didn't say any of that, it was kinda vague. Here's what you wrote originally:
    Guest stranded on the monorail isn't anything unusual anymore. At points over the past year or so it is happening almost daily. It happened on Christmas morning, just before the MK opened.

Lines for the boat massive. Again today. Packing guests on buses to shuttle them around the lake. Others just waiting for the Ferry to cross and come back again.

I wonder what the breaking point will be before Disney addresses the failing Monorail?
    Doesn't really say much of anything, especially not what you typed above. Hence the subsequent (and dare I say, warranted) confusion.
    Last edited by supernova; 02-28-2012 at 12:15 PM.
    Please visit my new DISNEY AUTOGRAPH website to check out my autograph collection!

Really Walt? Disneyland is MY land? Why would I want a silly little land when I can have the WORLD.

Quote Originally Posted by ohiodisneydad View Post
    Sure! Here ya go! They are ships from the reimagined Battlestar Galactica on Syfy. So 'nova and I were allowing our geek side to show.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Viper_Mark_VII#Variants

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colonial_Raptor
    Actually, I as referring to the WDW monorails. They're currently at Mark VI so it'd be time to move up to Mark VII. But I'm glad you were able to take my statement and run with it

Now I'm ashamed I let my SciFi nerdness show through. But I can assure everyone that I don't live in my parents' basement and I have kissed a couple of girls in my day.

But OP is correct that it is time to upgrade the monorails. The problem is they are a vital part of the parks, both in neccessity and Magic. They serve a dual purpose. They are the preferred source of bringing people to the parks while removing you from the real world and transporting you to a magical land.

The fact that WDW has gotten as much use out of the monorail cars that they have is amazing.

Mo Noyz is offline Unfortunately, this user's actions have resulted in him/her being BANNED from the site

Don't be ashamed, brother! It was a fantastic series. I normally only watch sports on tv, but some folks got me interested in watching it, so I did (I had resisted because of how hokey the original series was). My wife even got hooked on it and she hates Sci-fi.

HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???

Disney is going to bring down the MK loop starting today for approximately 2 weeks for multiple hours during the day. Again approximately between 11:30 am till around 6pm daily.
    Some people are like Slinkies.

They aren't really good for anything,
    but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

Friends are Gods way of apologizing to us for our families.

weepstah is offline C-Ticket Holder

Haunted Gabe,

I saw a posting about this on AllEars yesterday - sounds pretty serious, doesn't it? It's both loops from 11:30 - 6PM every day. and that the work "should" (my emphasis) be completed by the end of March. This does not sound like a monorail car maintenance issue, it sounds like an issue with the tracks, just IMO. If it was the cars, why shut down the whole loop?

Getting up on my soap box, Disney has been failed to see that the transportation system is a major part of the WDW experience. And I don't mean a bunch of roads and buses - that's what Walt was trying to get away from with Epcot, right? Somebody really needs to champion a major project to bring the system back up to snuff even if it means pushing something else down the list.

OK, folks. When we say MK loop are we talking Express and Resort, or just Express?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast