Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Transportation Discuss Is it time for Disney to Bite the Bullet? in the Vacation Planning forums; I'm sorry. My post last night should have said MK Loops. Meaning the Epcot Loop would still be operating. Back a month or so, when it got real cold, fast ...
    HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???

Re: Is it time for Disney to Bite the Bullet?

I'm sorry. My post last night should have said MK Loops. Meaning the Epcot Loop would still be operating.

Back a month or so, when it got real cold, fast and then warmed up the rail metal did that expand/contract type thing. It did some damage that could not be easily fixed, the monorails have been going over that small section of rail at a much slower pace since. They needed to get an engineer plan and materials together to fix the damage from what I was told.
    Some people are like Slinkies.

They aren't really good for anything,
    but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

Friends are Gods way of apologizing to us for our families.

weepstah is offline C-Ticket Holder

Gabe,

Thanks for the update - that makes sense that it's the same problem as before that they are putting a permanent fix in for. I'm still in the soapbox though! :P

Welcome.

I am curious to see the engineers approach to fixing this, that they can pause and re-start the operation of the monorail. Or if the engineering plan is to replace full sections at a time around the loops.
    This should be interesting to watch the repairs unfold.

but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

supernova is offline Premium Annual Passholder

Quote Originally Posted by HauntedGabe View Post
    Welcome.

I am curious to see the engineers approach to fixing this, that they can pause and re-start the operation of the monorail. Or if the engineering plan is to replace full sections at a time around the loops.
    This should be interesting to watch the repairs unfold.
    So they're saying that it's not the cars, but the track?
    Please visit my new DISNEY AUTOGRAPH website to check out my autograph collection!
    www.autographshowcase.com/disney

Really Walt? Disneyland is MY land? Why would I want a silly little land when I can have the WORLD.

Mo Noyz is offline Unfortunately, this user's actions have resulted in him/her being BANNED from the site

Quote Originally Posted by HG
    Back a month or so, when it got real cold, fast and then warmed up the rail metal did that expand/contract type thing. It did some damage that could not be easily fixed, the monorails have been going over that small section of rail at a much slower pace since.
    What!?

OK, unless you somehow worded this clumsily, this might be the most outrageous thing I've ever heard. So, the track has been damaged, but they're negating risk by driving "at a much slower pace" over it!?

Something is terribly, terribly amiss here.

Oh I am so far from an engineer, my degree is in Business, doesn't exactly translate well. I went back and re-read and I recapped what I was told so I don't believe I'm being clumsy.

I subsequently read some details about the monorail track problem, I'm just not recalling exactly which sight as I had heard the explanation before. It included photo's too. No, it wasn't of the monorail vehicle, it was something with the metal and beam. I will try and hunt down the thread for you tomorrow if someone doesn't link it before.

The timing of this repair schedule seems to be insync with the explanation I was told. But hey, I wasn't talking to Disney's engineers so it is entirely possible you are correct and they will be working on monorail vehicles between those hours and not the infrastructure. I guess it is possible the Disney plan would be to leave it alone and just continue to slow down on that stretch of the loop. Seems to be a good working plan.

and from touring plans
    Magic Kingdom Monorails at Reduced Capacity Due to Beam Damage

the monorail beams between the Grand Floridian Resort and the Magic Kingdom suffered some sort of damage that is causing monorail delays. Cast members are saying a beam joint was damaged by the extremely low temperatures. This is forcing the monorails to slow to a crawl as they cross that section of the route, reducing capacity and slowing service times. During peak periods of guest travel, this means increased waits at all stops on the Magic Kingdom Resort and Express lines. The Epcot line is running as normal.

Currently no timeline has been given for the repairs to be made and for service to return to normal.
    Last edited by HauntedGabe; 03-03-2012 at 11:04 PM.

I found one that does explain how the the expansion joint expanded and did not contract back into alignment. It is at WDWMagic.com in their WDW Parks and News. The posts that explain the design are best in the first few pages and a thumb nail picture. I'm still looking for the one I actually had read before. I cannot get this sight to post a direct link. Errrrr.

Meanwhile I tripped on this. Curious. The Magic Kingdom monorail beams, both Express and Resort, will be closing from 11:30am to 6pm from today March 2 through until an estimated end of the month. The exact completion date is not yet confirmed. The closure is related to construction requirements at the new Grand Floridian DVC wing currently under construction, which both monorail beams pass in close proximity to.

With any luck it will cure both problems.

Mo Noyz is offline Unfortunately, this user's actions have resulted in him/her being BANNED from the site

There's an old wooden bridge not far from where I live that is in disrepair. They closed it due to the possible danger of crossing it.

Perhaps they should just have people drive very slowly over it instead.

All I can say is that these engineers really better know their stuff. This seems like a really idiotic approach to the problem.

And I read earlier this week that Disney will be doing some "additional" work while they system is down for the DVC, Electrical, etc.

And you know Disney has not kept up with the infrastructure when you see this.....
    Keep adding hotels and DVC's and yet the monorail stands still in time.

ohiodisneydad is offline Hi, my name is David and I like Beverly.

Disney needs to revamp their whole loading and unloading procedures. Getting on the trams at night is a nightmare after closing. Disney really needs to have ropes up to filter people from the monorail off ramps to the tram loading area. People push and crowd in. They have no concern for anyone. There are way too many elderly people and children out there for people to behave that way. Someone is going to get seriously hurt or killed.
    "Life is an occassion. Rise to it."- Mr. Magorium
    "Welcome Home"- Best words you'll ever hear when you check in at a Disney Resort

Hypermommy is offline Fastpass Holder

And you know Disney has not kept up with the infrastructure when you see this.....

I disagree. I've often seen Epcot looking like this after Illuminations and it doesn't seem to have anything to do with the current monorail issues as I've seen it like this for years.

Of course, my preferred way of dealing with the situation is just to stay in the park slowly ambling towards the entrance as I am amiably forced to do so by politely pleasant cast members who know I'd stay all night back in the garden at the UK if allowed.
    Hypermommy

I've seen both the EPCOT and MK ramps look like that after Illuminations/Wishes as well. That's just a natural by-product of thousands of people trying to leave at the same time.

And, as bad as that line looks, it usually moves quickly.

HG's point is still a valid one, it's just that that particular picture wasn't the best way of getting it across.
    Last edited by Mo Noyz; 03-12-2012 at 06:26 AM.

supernova is offline Premium Annual Passholder

Which, again, is one of the reasons I am entirely AGAINST Disney continuing to add more hotels. While more guests means more money for the company, it means for a poorer experience for their guests. Longer lines at attractions, long lines and more overcrowding on, and while waiting for, transportation, impossible-to-get meals (let's face it, the casual visitor is not going to plan out their dinners six months out), packed park streets, difficult-to-see parades, these all can leave a guest feeling negatively on what the company pushes as the happiest place on earth.
    Please visit my new DISNEY AUTOGRAPH website to check out my autograph collection!
    www.autographshowcase.com/disney

Really Walt? Disneyland is MY land? Why would I want a silly little land when I can have the WORLD.

But, if we take a sober look at it, if Disney doesn't build those hotels somebody else will.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast