Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Transportation Discuss Is it time for Disney to Bite the Bullet? in the Vacation Planning forums; Guest stranded on the monorail isn't anything unusual anymore. At points over the past year or so it is happening almost daily. It happened on Christmas morning, just before the ...
    HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???

Is it time for Disney to Bite the Bullet?

Guest stranded on the monorail isn't anything unusual anymore. At points over the past year or so it is happening almost daily. It happened on Christmas morning, just before the MK opened.

Lines for the boat massive. Again today. Packing guests on buses to shuttle them around the lake. Others just waiting for the Ferry to cross and come back again.

I wonder what the breaking point will be before Disney addresses the failing Monorail?

Ow.ly - image uploaded by @TheDisneyBlog
    Some people are like Slinkies.

They aren't really good for anything,
    but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

Friends are Gods way of apologizing to us for our families.

NC_WDW_Daddy is offline Annual Passholder

Re: Is it time for Disney to Bite the Bullet?

I don't know, but that is a very good point. For us, the monorail is such an important part of the experience I would hate to see it go away.

weepstah is offline C-Ticket Holder

Excellent blog post on this issue here:

The Monorails Must Roll | The Disney Blog

Mo Noyz is offline Unfortunately, this user's actions have resulted in him/her being BANNED from the site

I don't know what the tipping point is either, but when we were there in 2010 we had several delays on the monorail line. The resort loop left us waiting for a long period of time twice, and there was a breakdown on the EPCOT loop while we were standing in the station waiting to get back to the Poly. After waiting nearly 20 minutes we walked over and took a bus.

Now, the real kicker being that this was just days before the Memorial Day weekend. Crowds were relatively light compared to what they were about to experience. I didn't even want to imagine what it would have been like then...

The monorail system was definitely in the biggest state of disrepair that I've ever seen. And I've been going there since the mid 70's.

supernova is offline Premium Annual Passholder

After picking up my gingerbread shingles at GF and intending to head over to a Disney surplus shop, the GPS sent me around behind the parks and I came out right in front of the monorail service station. I half expected thie place to be full of cars waiting to be serviced (please pardon the VWL parking pass on the dash).
    Please visit my new DISNEY AUTOGRAPH website to check out my autograph collection!
    www.autographshowcase.com/disney

Really Walt? Disneyland is MY land? Why would I want a silly little land when I can have the WORLD.

SnwhtNdwrfs is offline Dancing with the dwarfs!
    Being entertained by the voices in my head

So how would you fix the problem?

Time to move up to Mark VII's.
    Please visit my new DISNEY AUTOGRAPH website to check out my autograph collection!

Really Walt? Disneyland is MY land? Why would I want a silly little land when I can have the WORLD.

SnwhtNdwrfs is offline Dancing with the dwarfs!
    Being entertained by the voices in my head

If you had to estimate, how much do you think that would cost? Would you add more monorails?

I realize there's a cost involved with adding more trains (driver's hourly wage, electricity, maintenance, etc), but 15-20 minute waits at the stations (that also includes bus stops, though that is more difficult to monitor with the greater distances and varied routes each takes) is a bit extensive. The longer people are waiting at the station, the less time they are in your parks spending money. And yes, we wait on line for rides in the parks. But even then, people jump off the line to buy food, drink, etc. How long before they start selling souveniers right on the monorail platform?

Mo Noyz is offline Unfortunately, this user's actions have resulted in him/her being BANNED from the site

How was the monorail system when you were there?

To be honest, our previous (to our 2010 trip) trip was in '06 and they were running just fine.

Four years later, not so much...The cars, across the line stunk of mildew and were very rickety. Definitely nothing like the clean, quiet cars they once were.

Perhaps your suggestion of moving up to Mark VII's isn't so far off target. They'd serve the company far better at WDW than they do at Disneyland. For reasons you've already enumerated.

It was running OK, though mainly on the local MK loop. The ones from Epcot were taking much longer. I don't know how many they keep on/off the track during the day. Three on the express, two on the resort, and five on the Epcot line seems to be a fair number. That still allows for two to be down at any time.

JNota0005DakMC is offline Annual Passholder

Mike I think it is time to upgrade the monorails... It will cost money but it will be worth it in the long run...
    "All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them"
    -Walt Disney

"Laughter is America's most important export"
    -Walt Disney

"Paging Mr. Morrow, Mr. Tom Morrow, your party from Saturn has arrived. Please give them a ring."

Please check out my blog... (Join up...! Everyone's Welcome...!) Find it on Facebook too...!
    http://tomorrowlandgazette.blogspot.com/

HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???

Quote Originally Posted by JNota0005DakMC View Post
    Mike I think it is time to upgrade the monorails... It will cost money but it will be worth it in the long run...
    And that is the opinion I share.

Monorails are such a draw to those hotels and park hopping and they just are not reliable anymore. To newer guests they are an attraction unto themselves.

Building another GF DVC and likely on at the Poly next....right after BL DVC at the Contemporary, how can they not address it? (that question doesn't really need to be answered, lol)
    Some people are like Slinkies.

They aren't really good for anything,
    but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

Friends are Gods way of apologizing to us for our families.

WDW1014 is offline Fastpass Holder

my dads friend just got a job at disney last week for mechanic on the monorails maybe ill find out some info
    Visits:
    91= Grand Floridan 01= All Star Sports 11= Music
    92= Grand Floridan 02= All Star Movies 12= Movies
    93= Caribbean Beach 03= Old Key West 13= Sports
    94= All Star Sports 04= Pop Century 14= Sports / Sports
    95= French Quarter 05= Pop Century
    96= Dixie Landing 06= Grand Floridan
    97= All Star Music 07= All Star Sports
    98= All Star Sports 08= Pop Century
    99= All Star Movies 09= All Star Sports
    00= All Star Music 10= All Star Music

Quote Originally Posted by WDW1014 View Post
    my dads friend just got a job at disney last week for mechanic on the monorails maybe ill find out some info
    Now there's a job with built-in job security.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast