Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Transportation Discuss MK Monorail in the Vacation Planning forums; For those visiting WDW over the next week or so.... Both the Resort and Express Monorail to and from the MK will shut down from approximately 11:30am until approximately 6pm ...
    HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???

MK Monorail

For those visiting WDW over the next week or so....

Both the Resort and Express Monorail to and from the MK will shut down from approximately 11:30am until approximately 6pm once again. This is do to work being done at the new DVC Property at the Floridian.
    Some people are like Slinkies.

They aren't really good for anything,
    but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

Friends are Gods way of apologizing to us for our families.

Mo Noyz is offline Unfortunately, this user's actions have resulted in him/her being BANNED from the site

Re: MK Monorail

Did they shut it down in a similar nature when the GF was being built?

I have to admit I don't recall that being the case.

From my understanding they are actually relocating a section of the monorail this time to fit the DVC in.

I don't remember the monorail going down at all when they built the Floridian however we were just there two weeks a year and guests/fans didn't know nearly what they know now with the Internet.

But I do remember the transformations that happened overnight back in the 80's to mid-90's. Much of the construction, paint and horticulture happened in the overnight hours. Rarely did you see construction or painters during the day. So maybe as Disney added platforms to the GF etc. they did it in the overnight hours as not to disrupt the guests transportation during touring hours. A guess. Disney was really big in preserving the magic back then.

but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

Mo Noyz is offline Unfortunately, this user's actions have resulted in him/her being BANNED from the site

You're probably right. I wasn't going monthly at the time, but I certainly never remember it being down like that.

As for relocating a section of track, I'm not sure how they can even do that. The geometry of that track is pretty well set.

It looked like they sunk new pillars, maybe, possibly putting up different support pillars so they can remove the ones that are in the way of the DVC? Kinda Like they do when they widen an expressway underpass???

This is a pretty good photo of the plat http://www.wdwmagic.com/Resorts/Disn...nstruction.htm

supernova is offline Premium Annual Passholder

If we're talking a matter of feet when it comes to support beams and a new building, they are certainly cutting it a bit close.

I've never given much thought to the support beams along the express line thought I guess there is just one beam with a wider supporting base to accommodate botht the express and resort lines on the same beam? Otherwise they just take down one line at a time.

Let's just hope Disney does the right thing by their customers and ramps up the bus service (since I don't know if they can add extra ferries). Crowds are going to start ramping up pretty soon now that we're in May. The lines for the buses, boats, and monorails are long enough without elinimating one of those factors from the equation.
    Please visit my new DISNEY AUTOGRAPH website to check out my autograph collection!
    www.autographshowcase.com/disney

Really Walt? Disneyland is MY land? Why would I want a silly little land when I can have the WORLD.

NC_WDW_Daddy is offline Annual Passholder

Well, that's progress Dear as they say in CoP

Quote Originally Posted by HauntedGabe View Post
    It looked like they sunk new pillars, maybe, possibly putting up different support pillars so they can remove the ones that are in the way of the DVC? Kinda Like they do when they widen an expressway underpass???

This is a pretty good photo of the plat http://www.wdwmagic.com/Resorts/Disn...nstruction.htm
    Hmmm...clueless.

I guess that could be the case, but I'm not sure how they could do something like that while only having the line shut down for a few hours everyday. Usually when you see overpass extensions and things of that nature the overpass is normally closed down for a more extended period of time.

JNota0005DakMC is offline Annual Passholder

I dunno what it is they are planning but if they're moving the track even slightly it seems as though there will be a huge on ride issue as the track is practically straight from poly to the bend by the entrance of MK...
    "All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them"
    -Walt Disney

"Laughter is America's most important export"
    -Walt Disney

"Paging Mr. Morrow, Mr. Tom Morrow, your party from Saturn has arrived. Please give them a ring."

Please check out my blog... (Join up...! Everyone's Welcome...!) Find it on Facebook too...!
    http://tomorrowlandgazette.blogspot.com/

Exactly, JNota.

That was part of the track geometry I was talking about earlier. It's not like they can just make small changes to that considering the length of the monorails. If a change was made I'd have to assume it would be several hundred feet of track.

Unless they are going to employ Rocket Rods "technology".

And until the next one, she is up and running again at full schedule.