Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Transportation Discuss Driving tips-Michigan to Disney? in the Vacation Planning forums; Oh wait she is probably coming down I-95 and maybe ment Jacksonville....
    HappyDznyCamper is offline Annual Passholder
    Oh wait she is probably coming down I-95 and maybe ment Jacksonville.
    Maggie

Jiminy Cricket is offline Ultimate Park "Hopper"
    1,015 miles from WDW in Central Indiana; Windermere FL
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyDznyCamper
    Coming from anywhere north of Orlando you shouldn't go anywhere near Tampa, unless you forgot to get on the Fl Turnpike and off of I-75, maybe she ment Orlando, again the new west expressway should solve the Orlando problem.
    It is about 200 miles (about 3 hours after stopping for some OJ and WDW brochures at the FL Welcome Center) to WDW once you hit the FL border. The new expressway should be done by next year. It is open to Apopka now. It will take you to 192 near Orange Lake Road. Turn left on Sherberth Road and it will take you to Oceola Parkway which starts a few hundred feet south of AK and east of the AK Lodge. The Parkway goes right thru WDW and it is a snap to get to all the parks and the resorts.
    Lord High Keeper of the Knowledge of Right and Wrong, Counselor in Moments of Temptation, and Guide along the Straight and Narrow Path and Oldest Active DWT/WDW Radio Member

DL: 1955* (1); WDW: 1977* (2), 1980* (2), 1985* (3), 1989* (3), 1996 (ASMu-3), 1999 (ASMo-3), 2000 (ASMu-2/PO-2), 2001 (ASMu-5), 2002 (ASMu-5), 2003 (ASMo-5), 2004* (8), 2004 (ASMo-8), 2005 (PC-10), 2006* (15), 2007* (20), 2008* (22), 2009* (26), 2010* (27), 2011* (32), 2012* (39), 2013* (36), 2013* (15), 2013* (9), 2013* (13), 2014* (40) 2014 (11) Total Trips/Days = 27/364

*Off Property

Quote Originally Posted by Jiminy Cricket
    It is about 200 miles (about 3 hours after stopping for some OJ and WDW brochures at the FL Welcome Center) to WDW once you hit the FL border. The new expressway should be done by next year. It is open to Apopka now. It will take you to 192 near Orange Lake Road. Turn left on Sherberth Road and it will take you to Oceola Parkway which starts a few hundred feet south of AK and east of the AK Lodge. The Parkway goes right thru WDW and it is a snap to get to all the parks and the resorts.
    We usually get off the turnpike and take CR535 to the employee type entance by the old ball feild I think it is Buena Vista Drive it takes us right to the campground entrance or you can turn left on Bonnet Creek and get to all other guest areas
    Maggie

DissyLove is offline Wendy's real. I've seen her, so don't even start with me.
    OKay, first of all, can I just say you all rock! Thanks for all the suggestions, and places to stay-are you kidding me? What a cool bunch. As I will be the lone driver, I will most certainly spend one night out, just ify on whether or not I should make hotel reservations ahead of time, (it's spring break week that week up here) how far I will get, and if one night will be enough.

I do have a great portable DVD player for the kids, and they are awesome travellers-I have activity books, they have their own containers of snacks and some drinks, and I will stop in the safest places I can (I will plan to get off the road in the evenings, let the kids swim at a hotel and spend the night, I think.....)

Anyway, thanks all, and keep those hints coming. I am nervous about this but also excited-as a working mom, it will be nice to have some of that long, one-one-one interuppted time with the kids.

(Although, if I utter things like "Don't make me pull this car over!" than I may not feel that way later! )
    I am in need of some Disney magic!!

Quote Originally Posted by DissyLove
    As I will be the lone driver

Okay, okay, okay...if you insist on twisting my arm! The boys and I would be happy to come along so I can assist in the driving!

Quote Originally Posted by disneydreamer98
    Okay, okay, okay...if you insist on twisting my arm! The boys and I would be happy to come along so I can assist in the driving!
    We'd love to have you, but remember-no babies!! I am leaving my 20 month old, who doesn't travel in a car well, at home. Maybe next year for her, I hope!

Melissa, am I pretty much gonna be on 75 from southern Michigan until most of FLA, you think? That what i just mapped out on mapquest quickly....I want to avoid side roads and detours even if they are shorter because Dissylove is a Ditzy driver.

We'd love to have you, but remember-no babies!! I am leaving my 20 month old, who doesn't travel in a car well, at home. Maybe next year for her, I hope!

Melissa, am I pretty much gonna be on 75 from southern Michigan until most of FLA, you think? That what i just mapped out on mapquest quickly....I want to avoid side roads and detours even if they are shorter because Dissylove is a Ditzy driver.

Yes Nicole, I would pretty much do I-75 the entire way, the only thing I would suggest is to take 23 at the split just on the other side of Flint. That way you will avoid going through Detroit. 23 will bring you right back to 75 South of Toledo, Ohio. It will cut off some time for you, especially if you are nearing Detroit during any of the rush hours (6AM-9AM and 3PM-7PM).

Yes, I agree. I will probably take US 10 out of Mich. to 23 and catch 75 on down the road. You think if I leave on Friday, March 24 around 12, I can a make it with only one night out, or should I plan two, O Michigan traveller?

Yes, I agree. I will probably take US 10 out of Mich. to 23 and catch 75 on down the road. You think if I leave on Friday, March 24 around 12, I can a make it with only one night out, or should I plan two, O Michigan traveller?

Depends on how many driving hours you and the kids are willing to do in a day. If I were doing it in 2 days I would want to knock out a good 10-12 hours of the driving on the first day. So if you are awake and feeling ambitious I would say you could do it with one night.

Quote Originally Posted by disneydreamer98
    Depends on how many driving hours you and the kids are willing to do in a day. If I were doing it in 2 days I would want to knock out a good 10-12 hours of the driving on the first day. So if you are awake and feeling ambitious I would say you could do it with one night.
    Dude. I am gonna be one cranky Dissy after all that driving. Good think Winnie the Pooh will be around th cheer me up.

I'm serious about having you stop here in Knoxville, we are just off of 75/40 right before they split, at least the kids can get out and run around. By the way when you get to Macon GA you want to take 475 around Macon, it is shorter than staying on 75. If Mel is right we are a good halfway point, PM me if you are inerested.
    Maggie

4Mickey is offline "But why is the Rum gone?"
    Look Nicole, you can just stop at my house & I'll drive the last 6 1/2 hours for you! You know I'd be great with your children. I'm at the same maturity level as they are!
    "What ARRRRGH you doing?"

"What are you doing?"
    "No, What ARRRRGH you doing?"
    Cap'n Jack lives again!
    "I'll try anything once or twice, that's the kind of mouse I am"

Looks like I'll miss you on your way down, Disney until the 25th. If you think Knoxville looks like a good place to stop the Cedar Bluff area in West Knox has several nice hotels just off the interstate in a desent area, plus lots a fastfood at that exit too. FYI there is construction on 40/75 just after you merge off 640, no good way around it just stay to the left if you can and it is not too bad, the Cedar Bluff exit is 2 exits after the end of construction. Maybe you could stop by on your way home .
    Maggie

You guys are the best, thanks for the help. And Summer, I think I am at the same maturity level as well-you are more than welcome to hitch a ride with us!

Lou Mongello is offline Lou Mongello (AKQJ10) - Disney Expert, Host, Author, Speaker and Entrepreneur
    Nothing helps pass the time better than having some fun with the WDW Trivia Bo.... ahhh, nevermind.

Have a safe trip!
    Lou Mongello
    Host, Author & Site Owner
    AKQJ10 >: 4 8 15 16 23 42

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast