Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Transportation Discuss Driving tips-Michigan to Disney? in the Vacation Planning forums; Originally Posted by AKQJ10 Nothing helps pass the time better than having some fun with the WDW Trivia Bo.... ahhh, nevermind. Have a safe trip! Of course, Lou, but as ...
    DissyLove is offline Wendy's real. I've seen her, so don't even start with me.
    Quote Originally Posted by AKQJ10
    Nothing helps pass the time better than having some fun with the WDW Trivia Bo.... ahhh, nevermind.

Have a safe trip!
    Of course, Lou, but as I am the only driver, I better not read it while I am on my way! Maybe my 8 year old son Jack can read it to me.
    I am in need of some Disney magic!!

dzney4lyf is offline i come with a warning
    to pass time away.. make it fun and interesting! Like blindfold yourself and see how many miles you can go without looking!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by dzney4lyf
    to pass time away.. make it fun and interesting! Like blindfold yourself and see how many miles you can go without looking!!!!
    I think I will. Those 1 minute power naps really recharge you. Highway 75 is a pretty straight shot, right?

Quote Originally Posted by DissyLove
    I think I will. Those 1 minute power naps really recharge you. Highway 75 is a pretty straight shot, right?
    funny you mention that... on a trip to Ohio a few years ago.. my father decided to take a little nap. We crossed lanes and hit a tractor trailor (going on the same direction) woke him up pretty quick!!

We were fine.. the car was not too bad. So we continued our trip to Cedar Point. Ah good times..

funny you mention that... on a trip to Ohio a few years ago.. my father decided to take a little nap. We crossed lanes and hit a tractor trailor (going on the same direction) woke him up pretty quick!!

We were fine.. the car was not too bad. So we continued our trip to Cedar Point. Ah good times..
    Good times, yes! Glad you are OK. I thought that story was about to take a really bad turn.

BTW-Sandusky, OH-yea baby! Cedar Point was the #@!$ back in my day. (remember, I am very old.)

BTW-Sandusky, OH-yea baby! Cedar Point was the #@!$ back in my day. (remember, I am very old.)
    hey you are only old as your driver's li.. I mean as you admit you ar.. I mean as you feel!!!!

hey you are only old as your driver's li.. I mean as you admit you ar.. I mean as you feel!!!!
    Yup, and I am gonna be 33. Sometimes, I feel older, sometimes, younger. When I am dragging around on a Friday afternoon like today, praying for the kids bedtime....I feel pretty old!!!
    I'm a hag. But I'm not too old to road trip!

Summer Sun is offline Wishing a certain someone would take me to Neverland
    I have done the trip non-stop (except for gas and such) from south of Tampa to Oshkosh, so here are my suggestions and tips.

Get onto I-75 and just stay there until you get to Ocala, Florida. From there you can catch the turnpike and taht will take you to Orlando. Now, places you should watch for coppers are Indiana(southern), Chatanooga, TN., TIFTON, GA!!!!(Got a ticket there today on the way home from NC) (it seems that they pick the people from out of state that go with the flow even if it a little over the speed limit...it was my very first ticket), and Lake City to Gainesville, FL. For the most part you can "set it and forget it" at about 75MPH troughout the trip. TN has good fireworks to buy, GA has peaches, pecans, and peanuts (Ad**** Pecans in Tifton, GA is my selection), and yeah...it is a nice drive and it TPA to OSH can be done in about 19-20 hours. If you have anymore questions or tips just PM me
    Walt Disney World
    Where Dreams Come True
    Celebrating 35 Years
    Walt Disney World's Magic Kingdom

Thanks Paul!! I am getting nervous about this, for sure. I don't know where to stop off of 75 for hotels along the way-I hope I don't have trouble getting a room with the kids-thinking about making a reservation along the way but am not sure how much driving I will do per day with two little kids....but I am excited. Thanks for hte speeding tips-and the food tips!!

HappyDznyCamper is offline Annual Passholder
    Ok we drove down from Knoxville on Saturday ran into 2 slow construction areas in north Ga both were "right lane closed merge left" for the first we were in the left lane and went about 5 miles in 30 min, for the second we stayed right as long as possible and moved through much faster. The troopers were out in force through all of GA. Gas wich is usually cheaper in GA was not. TN gas was about $2.39/gal Ga $2.45/gal FL $2.59/gal
    Maggie

HappyDznyCamper is offline Annual Passholder
    Where are you staying at Disney??
    Maggie

We are staying at the Port Orleans Riverside.....

GaRain is offline I love a guy who can make me laugh!
    We are staying at the Port Orleans Riverside.....
    Whoohoo - we love that place!
    Alligator Bayou for you this time?
    Nothing to countdown to, so just smile and be happy everyday!

Not sure which side, I just requested to be near the food court and main pool for the sake of the kids....I would like to try that side however....

I do love this hotel....

Winnie is offline Fastpass Holder
    Has any brave soul attempted a Disney drive from around Michigan to Orlando? Any tips to share? How long did it take you, where might be a good place or two to stop for the night? This woman is going alone with her two older kids on a road trip, so I'll take any advice! (short of trying to talk me out of it-I love a challenge!)
    Yes - I live in Michigan! A couple of questions though - Which side of the state are you traveling from (East/West/Center/UP)? How many drivers? Any Children involved? Do you like to start driving early in the mornings?

I am from the Southwest corner of the state. The way we drive down is Old US 31/Now 933 to Indianapolis. Around Indy to Louisville, KY. Then on 65 through Nashville, TN towards Atlanta. We take the bypass around Atlanta. Although we do stop just north of Atlanta or around the bypass area the first night. We usually stay in Dalton, GA. A couple of nice hotels before you hit the Atlanta prices. This part of the trip usual takes us 14 hours plus stops. The second day is around an 8 hour trip to Orlando. We usually drive as long as we can handle it and leave early in the mornings (prior to 6 am) and drive as as late as we can the first day.

We only stop for gas and 'quick' pit stops during the day and have one sit down meal during the day for a break.

Don't forget to stop at the first rest area into Florida and have sometake a photo of you at the "Welcome to Florida" sign in the parking lot area! It is our family tradition when we drive.

I agree with Summer Sun, "Now, places you should watch for coppers are Indiana(southern), Chatanooga, TN., TIFTON, GA!!!!(Got a ticket there today on the way home from NC) (it seems that they pick the people from out of state that go with the flow even if it a little over the speed limit...it was my very first ticket), and Lake City to Gainesville, FL. For the most part you can "set it and forget it" at about 75MPH troughout the trip. TN has good fireworks to buy, GA has peaches, pecans, and peanuts (Ad**** Pecans in Tifton, GA is my selection),"

Also Gas up RIGHT before the state line of Florida and Fill up! Gas is cheaper is GA then FL. When in FL only get enough gas to get you across the state line on the return trip and Gas up again once you cross back into GA. Make sure you gas up just as you leave GA heading back north as well. Watch the prices on the way down and you will see what I mean.

Hope this helps! Email me if you have more questions.
    BETH ~ I BELIEVE in Make Believe,Dreams & Wishes
    Is It time To Go Back Yet??
    Happy DVC Member - Beach Club Villas
    BCV - October 2011 - Family Trip & Food & Wine Festival (Met up with Lou and the Walk-about Crew! Met Deanna!
    Met the Petermans!)
    BCV - October 2010 - Family Trip & Food & Wine Festival and MNNSHP!!!
    BCV - June 2009 - Family Trip
    BCV - October 2008 - MNNSHP-Just the two of us!
    BCV - May 2008 - Flower & Garden/Epcot - Just the two of us!
    BCV - January 2008 - Marathon Weekend - Just the two of us! (We finally got to meet Lou & his wonderful family)
    BCV - May 2007 Family Trip, Flower & Garden/Epcot and Star Wars!!!
    BCV - October 2006 Family Trip, Anniversary, Food and Wine/Epcot & MNSHHP!!!!
    ASM & BCV - June 2006 Family Trip, Flower & Garden/Epcot and Star Wars!!!
    BCV - October 2005 - Family Trip, Anniversary, Food and Wine/Epcot & MNSHHP!!!!
    OKW & BWV - March 2005 - Quick and needed fun trip! Just the two of us!
    BCV - June 2004 - Family Trip
    BCV - October 2003 - Family Trip, Anniversary, Food and Wine/Epcot & MNSHHP!!!!
    BC - Honeymoon- April 2002
    Off Site - 1997 - I was a poor college student staying with my favorite aunt!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast