Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Transportation Discuss Driving tips-Michigan to Disney? in the Vacation Planning forums; We are coming from Central-Northern Michigan near Traverse City. Thanks for the gas tip, I will do that.......
    DissyLove is offline Wendy's real. I've seen her, so don't even start with me.
    We are coming from Central-Northern Michigan near Traverse City. Thanks for the gas tip, I will do that....
    I am in need of some Disney magic!!

MayBWeRMnt2B is offline living happily ever after...
    Okay, I do Wisconsin to Orlando 2 times a year. Once around Labor Day weekend for college and once to go back to Wisconsin for the summer from college about 2 weeks before Mother's day. The best tips I can give that we always follow are the following...

-- Before you leave, go to the hotels around you (holiday inn, country inn, best western) and pick up a book that lists where all the hotels are in the US. (The books are free, just ask for them at the front desk!) Then as you are driving, call ahead to make reservations. Figure out where your going to be in about an hour, and call and make sure they have room. This way, you're not stuck without a room. It works like a charm, EVERY time.

-- We always go straight through Atlanta because we've gotten stuck in the 'bypass' around it so many times that it's not worth it. I've driven through Atlanta at Rush Hour... you survive. If you are going through it, keep merging left I believe it is. Or right. ****, I can't remember, but if you keep merging as you go, you'll end up getting through it really easily.

-- The Walt Disney World Trivia book is GREAT car ride material. :-) So use it. We always play where the person in the passenger seat asks the driver questions. It's amusing.

-- Other than that, we take the turnpike down and then get off to avoid a lot of traffic. Then we cut up 192, but that puts us close to Celebration, cuz that's what we always do.

So not great tips, except the hotel one. DEFINITELY get those hotel books if you don't already have them.
    - Jeanne

Engaged at Sunset Point - July 17th, 2008
    Married at Sunset Point - March 3, 2009
    Disney World & Disneyland Honeymoon

Aulani - September 2011

Wishes can come true, if you believe in them with all your heart.
    And the best part is, you'll never run out of wishes.
    They're shining deep down inside of you.
    'Cause that my friends is where the magic lives

DissyLove is offline Wendy's real. I've seen her, so don't even start with me.
    Thanks!

Guys I went ahead last night on all of your advice about hotels and made ressies for on my way down. Staying the first night near Cincinnati, the second just prior to Valdosta GA, which will put me in Orlando on Sunday around noon or so. Hope this works. Thanks for all the great thoughts and tips, I really appreciate it. I'll keep you posted, and some of you might be getting called by me this weekend as I am driving and need to chat!
    I am in need of some Disney magic!!

hgraber is offline E-Ticket Holder
    I've never made the trip from Michigan, but I'm about to in April. Does anyone have any tourist attractions they recommend on the way to take a break for about an hour? I will be traveling with my hubby and 3 year old from the Detroit area. Luckily, we'll have two drivers so we can trade off. We will likely rent a minivan or SUV to hold all the souveniers I'll be bringing back and give us some room to stretch out, but the DVD thing will be a must. I love the Disney's Happiest Celebration on Earth CD because it has several somes from WDW attractions like POTC, Tiki Room, Haunted Mansion, and most importantly...It's a small world.(I cry everytime I hear the first track of Walt Dedicating Disneyland. ) I'm using it to get my daughter introduced to the rides. Also, the Sing Along Songs Disneyland Fun DVD is a must for a little one. Again, it introduced my daughter to rides and I just get so excited watching it.
    I believe in Happily Ever Afters.

iwannabeminnie is offline I'm old! I'm like the cryptkeeper!
    You can't drive from Michigan to Orlando without picking up a copy of "Along the I-75" to take with you. It is full of all kinds of neat information and will keep the kids busy tracking the miles so they won't keep asking "Are we there yet?"

hgraber is offline E-Ticket Holder
    I saw a website in the passporter last night called: www.i75online.com. I'll have to be sure to check that out. I'm like a little kid when I drive there..."Are we there yet? Are we there yet?" And the person who said that the hardest part is after you hit the Florida border was RIGHT because you think you've made it and you still have HOURS!
    I believe in Happily Ever Afters.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234