Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Transportation Discuss Driving tips-Michigan to Disney? in the Vacation Planning forums; Has any brave soul attempted a Disney drive from around Michigan to Orlando? Any tips to share? How long did it take you, where might be a good place or ...
    DissyLove is offline Wendy's real. I've seen her, so don't even start with me.

Driving tips-Michigan to Disney?

Has any brave soul attempted a Disney drive from around Michigan to Orlando? Any tips to share? How long did it take you, where might be a good place or two to stop for the night? This woman is going alone with her two older kids on a road trip, so I'll take any advice! (short of trying to talk me out of it-I love a challenge!)
    I am in need of some Disney magic!!

GaRain is offline I love a guy who can make me laugh!
    I would never talk you out of it! Go for it.

You already have my tips on driving through Atlanta!
    Nothing to countdown to, so just smile and be happy everyday!

DissyLove is offline Wendy's real. I've seen her, so don't even start with me.
    Yes, thanks. Its a pretty straight shot from there?
    I am in need of some Disney magic!!

GrumpyDude is offline Unfortunately, this user's actions have resulted in him/her being BANNED from the site
    avoiding "The Man's" infractions. can't keep a brotha' down!
    on road trips, i like to keep some nut and bolts, or paintballs in my jacket pocket, for when the cagers are tailgating me, i can toss a few of them bad boys over my shoulder.

i also keep a retractable metal baton in my pocket. in these parts, we have a lot of ****'s Angels and Pagan activity, who if you are wearing the wrong colors, will run you off the road and take your bike.

that's all i have for now.

keep the shiny side up and the rubber on the ground.

vixen101485 is offline Queen of the Swaps, bow before me
    We did Pa to WDW last year with a 2 1/2 year....the older kids will be a snap....we drove straight thru with various stops to stretch our legs and short naps...took about 23 hours...needless to say we stopped for the nite on the way back...lol
    It's a Disney thing. If you understood, your only question would be "can I go?"

TRICK OR TREAT FOR UNICEF
    FOR MORE INFO CLICK THIS LINK http://inside.unicefusa.org/goto/Meghyn

dzney4lyf is offline i come with a warning
    The faster you drive the faster you'll get there.. and remember... speeding doesn't count when you're out of state...

Um.....hello???? Why wouldn't you ask your Michigan friend who is a driving to Disney verteran from up North?!?! As far as places to stop...I can't help you with that because we always drive straight through. Always have, even when I was a kid, that how my Parents always made the trip! From where you live it will take you probably about 22-23 driving hours, depending how often you have to stop. Last June it took us about 19 hour from here (we are a little over an hour from the Ohio state line) and that was with regular bathroom and gas fillup stops, hitting the drive through and a nice sitdown breakfast which got us out of the car for about an hour.

Depending on how many hours you want to do a day.....I would say if you can make it as far as Atlanta, GA (through Atlanta so you don't get held up in morning rush hour traffic the next day). It should make a comfortable 2 day ride.

If you have a portable DVD player or laptop that plays DVD's it's a must for our trips. We just load up with Disney movies and we are off!!!!!

I would also throw a cooler in the car with some bottled water and soft drinks to avoid little stops. If you are traveling alone with just you and the kids, I would certainly try to avoid stopping at rest areas (especially in the evening) and go to gas stations instead for potty breaks!!!

Quote Originally Posted by dzney4lyf
    The faster you drive the faster you'll get there.. and remember... speeding doesn't count when you're out of state...

Um yeah...don't listen to Lori, ESPECIALLY driving through the state of Ohio! For some reason Michigan license plates are VERY appealing to the Ohio police!

4Mickey is offline "But why is the Rum gone?"
    oh fun! Road Trip! I would definately second Melissa's DVD suggestion. If that's not an option, I'd get lots of cds they will listen to. Cracker Barrell has the audio cd rental thing. I know they have Peter & the Star Catchers which is something the kids might like to listen to as well. If you're anywhere near Augusta, I'd love for you & the kids to stay with me. It's about a 6 1/2 hour drive from my driveway to WDW property. I may be out of your way, in which case, I'd understand you not stopping in. Anyway... that's a long trip, maybe they'll sleep for some of it!
    "What ARRRRGH you doing?"

"What are you doing?"
    "No, What ARRRRGH you doing?"
    Cap'n Jack lives again!
    "I'll try anything once or twice, that's the kind of mouse I am"

HappyDznyCamper is offline Annual Passholder
    Really the only driving advice I have is to call me when you get to Knoxville, TN so we can meet. From here it is about 10 hours to Disney, so it may be a good place to stop for the night if you are not as ambitious as Melissa and don't want to drive staight through. With my two kids we can ususaly make from here to my parents house(Ocala 90 miles north of Disney) with 3 to 4 stops. I think a new express way has opened from the Fl Turnpike to the west side of Disney that will let you avoid I-4 and all it's mess, Tampa should know for sure if it is open yet
    Maggie

GaRain is offline I love a guy who can make me laugh!
    Quote Originally Posted by disneydreamer98
    Depending on how many hours you want to do a day.....I would say if you can make it as far as Atlanta, GA (through Atlanta so you don't get held up in morning rush hour traffic the next day). It should make a comfortable 2 day ride.
    See, everyone knows to stay away from Atlanta during Rush Hour. Too bad rush hour lasts from 3-7pm and in the mornings from 6am to 10am!!!
    Nothing to countdown to, so just smile and be happy everyday!

mini-V is offline Home at last near Mickey!
    From our experience of driving from Baltimore to Orlando, the longest part is once you hit the FL border; you think you've finally made it but you still have a long way to go. Tampa at rush hour is fun. It will make the lines in the park seem like childs play. Have a safe trip.
    mini-V What will you celebrate?

Adult daycare for the kid inside you.

Quote Originally Posted by mini-V
    From our experience of driving from Baltimore to Orlando, the longest part is once you hit the FL border; you think you've finally made it but you still have a long way to go. Tampa at rush hour is fun. It will make the lines in the park seem like childs play. Have a safe trip.

Driving to Orlando from Michigan, you don't go through or even near Tampa.

Jiminy Cricket is offline Ultimate Park "Hopper"
    1,015 miles from WDW in Central Indiana; Windermere FL
    We drive (have made about 35 trips to WDW and Naples since 1975) the 1,031 miles to WDW in two days (the 1225 miles to Naples in three). We stop about midway in Cartersville, GA. However, we will never drive thru Atlanta ever again. Next time we will go thru AL (I-65) and then across I-10 to get to I-75. It is a few miles longer, but I am getting too old to get stuck in Atlanta traffic for 1 or more hours each way. If we don't hit Atlanta at the wrong time it takes us exactly 16 hours with short stops. In the past few years we have stayed at Holiday Inn Express. We love the all-you-can-eat breakfasts they now have. Also, if you join their Priority Club you can get free nights after a few stays.
    Last edited by Jiminy Cricket; 03-14-2006 at 04:54 PM.
    Lord High Keeper of the Knowledge of Right and Wrong, Counselor in Moments of Temptation, and Guide along the Straight and Narrow Path and Oldest Active DWT/WDW Radio Member

DL: 1955* (1); WDW: 1977* (2), 1980* (2), 1985* (3), 1989* (3), 1996 (ASMu-3), 1999 (ASMo-3), 2000 (ASMu-2/PO-2), 2001 (ASMu-5), 2002 (ASMu-5), 2003 (ASMo-5), 2004* (8), 2004 (ASMo-8), 2005 (PC-10), 2006* (15), 2007* (20), 2008* (22), 2009* (26), 2010* (27), 2011* (32), 2012* (39), 2013* (36), 2013* (15), 2013* (9), 2013* (13), 2014* (40) Total Trips/Days = 26/353

*Off Property

HappyDznyCamper is offline Annual Passholder
    Quote Originally Posted by disneydreamer98
    Driving to Orlando from Michigan, you don't go through or even near Tampa.
    Coming from anywhere north of Orlando you shouldn't go anywhere near Tampa, unless you forgot to get on the Fl Turnpike and off of I-75, maybe she ment Orlando, again the new west expressway should solve the Orlando problem.
    Maggie

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast