Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Transportation Discuss taking amtrak in the Vacation Planning forums; I am taking amtrak to Kissimmee and would like to know what the best way to get to the hotel would be. Am I going to pay through the nose ...
    rainbodragon is offline A-Ticket holder

Question taking amtrak

I am taking amtrak to Kissimmee and would like to know what the best way to get to the hotel would be. Am I going to pay through the nose for a cab? are there any alternatives?

Sam I Am is offline L'Originale - Keeping you behind the rope
    I haven't used Kissimmee so I can't speak to it in particular; you might want to consider a towncar service or try calling your hotel and asking for advice - (are you staying on or off- property?).

i was looking at happylimo and they charge $100 roundtrip. has anyone used this company? how would the price compare to a cab?

A cab from the airport to WDW was about $50 for me (one-way); I think it would probably be similar, maybe a little less, from Amtrak, based on distance. That's a pretty reasonable rate. (You can get a discount using code "ALLEARS"). You can also check with Mears, they may have a shuttle or van service available.

I am contacting several other towncar services to see what kind of deal I can find. From what you are saying I think a car servicewould be the smart way to go. Thanks Sam!

the7thAve is offline Pepper's Ghost
    Quote Originally Posted by rainbodragon
    I am taking amtrak to Kissimmee and would like to know what the best way to get to the hotel would be. Am I going to pay through the nose for a cab? are there any alternatives?
    good for you!!! I work for the railroad (freight, not passenger), but a lot of my union brothers and sisters work for Amtrak, which the current administration is trying to privatize and, basically, get rid of.

If we can dream it, we can do it

I love taking Amtrak. I wish it weren't so expensive - I write my representatives annually reminding them how important our rail transport system is (as you mentioned - the administration has the bright idea that they could take it away/stop paying to subsidize it to save cash). Really, if it got the investment it needs, it could really be in great shape.

I really like the Autotrain from Lorton to Sanford (Wish it went all the way up to NY or something, but still not too bad).

I used to take Amtrak to school all the time (either up the Hudson to Rutland, or up to White River Junction).

I love trains.

I always take amtrak to orlando. since I live in jacksonville Fl, it only takes about 4 hours and costs $40 round trip. Id rather spend a few $ more and have comfortable seats! cant stand greyhound.

Plus taking amtrak lets us sit back and plan what we are going to do when we get there, its like bonus vacation time!

mini-V is offline Home at last near Mickey!
    Is the train station in Orlando or Kissimmee? I'm just curious. Living overseas makes one reliant on public transportation. I like trains. Very relaxing. With gas prices continuing to rise I hate to see the govt. try to get rid of Amtrak. Silly.
    mini-V What will you celebrate?

Adult daycare for the kid inside you.

sora_145 is offline A-Ticket holder
    I just realizes where I heard Amtrack from! It's a train company!
    Major WDW fan/KH fan!

there is a stations in both Orlando and Kissimmee.

gratuity?

what is the gratuity % on a sedan? i made my reservations with them, but what do I tip the driver each way?

BryanFykes is offline D-Ticket Holder
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam I Am
    I really like the Autotrain from Lorton to Sanford (Wish it went all the way up to NY or something, but still not too bad).
    Loved it when i took the Autotrain on my way down for my CP. if it wasn't so expensive, i would do it everytime!!! My granpa and his wife use it in the spring to come back up here, and in the fall to go back to Ft Meyers, where they live out the cold months.
    Remember the most important Service guidline-

"Always preserve the Magic"

njdisneylover is offline B-Ticket Holder
    how was the trip taking the autotrain? we were looking at it as an alternative. We were weighing the benefit of being able to use our own car versus renting and saving some money that way.