Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Transportation Discuss Monorail News. in the Vacation Planning forums; Originally Posted by Summer Sun Even though Disney can make the parts used in our monorails, the Mark Monorails have been discontinued (for a few years) and parts are very ...
    Mouse is offline I'm In Disney!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Summer Sun
    Even though Disney can make the parts used in our monorails, the Mark Monorails have been discontinued (for a few years) and parts are very expensive could we not make them.
    If the mark monorails are discontinued (for a few years)

What will happen if they need a new monorail in the near future. Like say a monorail completely wears out and is shot. Can they manufacture a new one in the shop cleverocks mentioned?

Also is it possible that the monorials will completely dis-appear at disney in the future.
    MOUSE

CleveRocks is offline D-Ticket Holder
    Quote Originally Posted by Mouse
    I DIS-AGREE. MY SUGESTION, GO WATCH ONE MAN'S DREAM. WALT LOVED CUTTING EDGE TECHNOLOGY. He also designed disney world and built disney land because he wanted a place where a family could have fun together. He was not so much concerend about turning a buck in millions.
    I disagree.

He wanted to do BOTH -- make a wonderful place AND earn lotsa money. If his vision was only to make a place where families could have fun together, he would have run Disneyland at cost and planned to do the same at WDW. By running the theme parks at cost rather than designing them to turn a profit, he could have shared his vision with even more people and made millions of other families happy/provided even millions of additional families a place to have fun together. The fact that the theme parks are run as for-profit businesses proves this.

Earning a great profit and making the world a better place do not have to be opposite ideals. Earning a profit is not evil, as long as it's done honestly and ethically.

-IM NOT SAYING TO PUT A MONORAIL AT EVERY RESORT AND PARK. IM SAYING THAT THEY SHOULD EXPAND THEM TO MGM AND THE ANIMAL KINGDOM.
    In and of itself, I don't disagree with this idea at all.
    REASONS FOR MONORAIL EXPANSION-

-THE BUS RIDE TO ANIMAL KINGDOM FROM A RESORT IS TERRIBLE. ITS LIKE A 30 MIN.+ An Animal Kingdom monorail would go from animal kingdom back to the transportation and ticket center. Not from your resort then to 3 other resorts then to Animal Kingdom like a bus.
    Stay at a resort that has its own dedicated buses, such as CBR, CSR, etc. No intermediate stops between resort and AK. I recall rides of about 15 minutes from CBR.

-BOATS AND BUSSES RUN ON GAS. HAVE YOU LOOKED AT GAS PRICES. LIKE 3.00+. I HAVE A FRIEND WHO OWNS A CHARTER BOAT WHICH HAS ALMOST THE SAME SIZE OF GAS TANK AS A FRIENDSHIP BOAT (there are no hybrid boats). IT COSTS HIM ALMOST $3000 TO FILL UP. I ALSO ASKED THE BUS DRIVER OF A DISNEY BUS ABOUT H0W MANY BUSES THEY HAVE. HE SAID ABOUT 300. SO SAY IT COSTS ONE BUS $100 TO FILL UP. MULTIPLY THAT BY 300 AND SEE WHAT YOU GET. Even with hybrid busses gas will still cost the same it wil just last the busses a longer time. That will only make the amount of money disney spends on gas go down by a little bit. MONORAILS WOULD SAVE MONEY in the long run.
    Monorails (and rechargable batteries) run on electricity. The most common method of generating electricity (especially anywhere within several hundred miles of the Gulf of Mexico) is burning natural gas. Have you looked at natural gas prices??? Just four days ago (Monday 7/31/06), the price of natural gas shot up 14%, according to the Associated Press, and the price is expected to keep going higher.

ANOTHER THING IS THAT BUSSES AND BOATS HAVE TO BE REPLACED MORE OFTEN THAN MONORAILS. THE MONORAILS HAVE BEEN THER OVER 13 YEARS AND THERE NOT THINKING OF REPLACING THEM ANY TIME SOON.
    Again, they can't replace them. You could keep ANY vehicle running if you're committed to do it and can build your own replacement parts and train your own technicians.

And just on a netiquette note, writing an entire post in ALL CAPS communicates that one is SHOUTING. Can you disagree with someone without shouting at them?
    -- Eric

Mouse is offline I'm In Disney!!!
    Monorails have been my favorite thing ever since i went into the Magical World or Disney. I just don't want to see the monorail system shut down. I beleive weather you run something on electicity or on gasoline its still going to cost about the same amount because

Quote Originally Posted by CleveRocks
    Monorails (and rechargable batteries) run on electricity. The most common method of generating electricity (especially anywhere within several hundred miles of the Gulf of Mexico) is burning natural gas. Have you looked at natural gas prices??? Just four days ago (Monday 7/31/06), the price of natural gas shot up 14%, according to the Associated Press, and the price is expected to keep going higher.
    I don't think the monorail system will every be extened becuase it cost a million dollars a mile. You could pay for a busses gas for a while with a million dollars.

But on to a diferent topic-

What happened to the old monorails like the Mark I, II, and III. Are they on disney property somewhere or did they sell them to some one?
    Last edited by Mouse; 08-05-2006 at 12:16 AM.
    MOUSE

Hakuna Matata is offline Yo Ho Yo Ho a pirates life for me!
    Wishing on a star for my prince to come...
    aww, i wish they would expand the monorails, they are soo much better than the buses because if you are staying at a resort on the monorail it makes transportation a lot faster.
    It's our problem-free philosophy Hakuna Matata!
    I've been to Disney World 22 times and can't wait to go back!

yo ho yo ho a pirates life for me!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12