Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Transportation Discuss Monorail News. in the Vacation Planning forums; At WDW on Friday the monorail drivers told me that disney is probably never going to expand the monorails.He said because the bus transportation method is way cheaper. Monorail=Safer,convinient,faster but ...
    urmom1o1 is offline B-Ticket Holder

Exclamation Monorail News.

At WDW on Friday the monorail drivers told me that disney is probably never going to expand the monorails.He said because the bus transportation method is way cheaper.

Monorail=Safer,convinient,fasterbut more $

Bus=less safe,inconvinient,slowbut cheaper

Conclusion Disney uses the bus method

Mouse is offline I'm In Disney!!!
    I THINK DISNEY IS TOO CHEAP. I THINK IF WALT WAS IN CHARGE AND NOT DEAD, DISNEY WOULD HAVE THE MONORAILS EVERYWHERE.
    MOUSE

Summer Sun is offline Wishing a certain someone would take me to Neverland
    Yes I know that this is somewhat of a disappointment but I also think that if Walt were alive that he may not nescessarily use the Monorails everywhere. Yes it is a great way to transport guest to and from destinations around the Walt Disney World Resort but please realize that the Walt Disney World Resort is a story and some technology does not fit into that story. Monorails are high above the ground and trying to cover them from being seen inside our theme parks is a pretty large challenge. And yes Disney will take the cheaper method but as hybrid and more fuel efficient busses arrive on the market, we will start using them. Also, Monorails are VERY VERY high maintence. Even though Disney can make the parts used in our monorails, the Mark Monorails have been discontinued (for a few years) and parts are very expensive could we not make them. And our busses and drivers have the best record in the entire industry with the fewest accidents. Yes, it is alright to be disappointed but please realize that it is the best way. It is about the story and about preserving the Magical Experience.
    Walt Disney World
    Where Dreams Come True
    Celebrating 35 Years
    Walt Disney World's Magic Kingdom

More people should know thi I think its important.It makes a strong statement about Disneys style of doing things.
    ~Welcome Foolish Mortals!~-Haunted Mansion

http://www.doombuggies.com/home/htm

CleveRocks is offline D-Ticket Holder
    I posted this in another thread (plus some additions):

I can't imagine a monorail system linking every resort and every theme park, water park, and DTD. It would be a horrible boondoggle. WDW would be crisscrossed with monorail tracks. There would have to be hubs, otherwise there would be no grass and trees left, just monorail tracks. There are something like 20 resorts, plus 7 other destinations (4 theme parks, 2 water parks, DTD). I can't imagine CBR having 27 different tracks arriving there, or near there.

So there would have to be hubs. If there were hubs, it would add to the overall wait times, because everyone would have to wait for 2 monorails to get to your destination: once at your resort, and then you'd have to get off at a hub and wait a second time there to catch a monorail to your resort. So then people would be compaining about the wait times.

Also, monorails break down much more often than buses. On top of that, a monorail breakdown is a much more severe problem than a bus break down. A bus breaks down, no problemo, get another one out there right away. But when a monorail breaks down, it's a MUCH bigger problem, which would take more time to fix, and meanwhile the track is blocked, causing more delays.

You really need to seriously think about the PRACTICALITY of TOTAL monorail service, how it would actually be carried out. Look at the nuts and bolts of how itr would be done, not just the feel-good emotion of "wouldn't it be nice...."

Actually, a BOAT transportation system would probably be more practical. I'm sure they they could dig artificial rivers to connect everywhere with everywhere! Disney's good at that -- there are VERY FEW natural bodies of water on WDW property.

To say that WDW won't expand the monorail system because they don't want to spend the money is probably some small part of the issue. To allude to the fact that Disney has somehow changed because it's now interested in the Almighty Dollar but didn't used to be that way is WAAAAY WRONG. Walt Disney was VERY interested in turning a buck. True, he wanted a high quality "show," but he never would have put on the show in the first place if there wasn't a lot of money in it. Walt Disney practically invented the system of making guest exit a ride/attraction through a themed gift shop.

Walt Disney wasn't some high-minded altruist who wanted to make a better world. He was a high-minded businessman who wanted to make a better world and earn a pile of money in the process. God Bless him!
    -- Eric

Minnie_Mouse007 is offline "Laughter is America's most important export."-Walt Disney
    Very good point Eric. I totally agree with you.
    ~Elyse
    GO KNIGHTS!
    I'm a baby Knight! UCF '13

Thanks for the more exact reason guys now I understand more.

I would like to see some new monorails pop out maybe at the animal kingdom or at MGM. I also agree and think it would be a mess if the monorails went everywhere. There is really no need for that. The busses are fine in some casses but i think it would make the transportation move a lot more efficiantally if the people who use disney transportation where spread out a little bit more evenially between bus, boat, and monorail.
    Last edited by Mouse; 08-04-2006 at 10:49 PM.
    MOUSE

How are they refubishing the mark V monorails in Disney Land if the Mark monorail are discontinued?
    Last edited by Mouse; 08-04-2006 at 10:51 PM.
    MOUSE

Lani is offline A-Ticket holder
    Quote Originally Posted by Mouse
    HOW COULD THE MONORAIL PARTS BE DIS-CONTINUED IF THEY ARE RE-FUBISHING THE DISNEYLAND MONORAILS.
    Why do you seem so angry in all of your posts? Yelling is no fun.

Thats my style I get to the point without messing around.

Lani is offline A-Ticket holder
    Quote Originally Posted by urmom1o1
    Thats my style I get to the point without messing around.
    Are you the same person as MOUSE, because that's who I was asking. You don't seem angry to me.

I WASN'T TRYING TO SOUND ANGRY. AND I LIKE TO USE CAP. LOCK. IT DOESN'T MEAN IM ANGRY:mickey:
    Last edited by Mouse; 08-04-2006 at 10:55 PM.
    MOUSE

Sometimes it just i like to stick to the facts.
    Last edited by Mouse; 08-04-2006 at 10:54 PM.
    MOUSE

CleveRocks is offline D-Ticket Holder
    Quote Originally Posted by Mouse
    HOW COULD THE MONORAIL PARTS BE DIS-CONTINUED IF THEY ARE RE-FUBISHING THE DISNEYLAND MONORAILS.
    In order to keep the monorails running, Disney had to build a machine shop to make the replacement parts themselves. Works better than duct tape.
    -- Eric

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast