Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Transportation Discuss Breaking News: No Liquids/gels In Carry-ons in the Vacation Planning forums; The terminal at Heathrow was so full yesterday that they weren't even letting anyone inside. The new travel guide...pack your patience, be at the terminal extra early, and check the ...
    mini-V is offline Home at last near Mickey!
    The terminal at Heathrow was so full yesterday that they weren't even letting anyone inside. The new travel guide...pack your patience, be at the terminal extra early, and check the with airlines or airport for possible travel changes. Most flights to the US have been cancelled again today.
    Even though the plot was foiled, it may have been that the authorities had to act now rather than wait to discover the identities of any other people involved.
    Last edited by mini-V; 08-11-2006 at 04:50 AM. Reason: additional comments
    mini-V What will you celebrate?

Adult daycare for the kid inside you.

ToddBreakey is offline Fastpass Holder
    Quote Originally Posted by ERich2010
    im having mixed feelings about this. i mean im glad they foiled the plot, but if they foiled it then why don't they know who's in on it?
    I'm not sure what you mean. They have already arrested 21+ people who were involved in this attempt. The only thing we have to worry about is the rest of the gang that they still have to get.

After working in both the airline and corporate sides of aviation for the better part of the past 2 decades, I will say that this didn't surprise me much when I heard it. A couple of months ago, the FBI ran a test on the TSA. Guess what they did....They had several agents go through security carrying liquids that could be made into a bomb. Guess how much of it the TSA detected...That's right, NONE. The TSA failed miserably. (I could write a huge essay on how the TSA is a joke and either needs to be revamped from top to bottom, or eliminated all together. But I'll save that for another time.) And for some reason this didn't make the news. Plus, most of the items that they needed to make the "bomb" were available from the gift shops inside of security. Those have been removed now.

I'm not trying to scare people away from flying. If we do that, then the terrorists have won by taking away one of our freedoms. WE CANNOT LET THAT HAPPEN!!!!

I love to fly, and no amount of terrorist acts will keep me away from it.
    "You shouldn't play leapfrog with a porcupine. You might get hurt." - Eliza Breakey, Age 4

I HATE being back in the real world!!!!

CleveRocks is offline D-Ticket Holder
    Quote Originally Posted by ERich2010
    especially up here in Cleveland-ish area because it was suspected that we were a target for 9-11.
    Since when was Cleveland suspected of being a target of 9/11 terrorists? What were they going to target, the Rock Hall? The plant where they make Stadium Mustard???

I know that United Flight 93 pulled an almost u-turn near Cleveland, but that was on its way to the target, Washington, D.C. Can you fill us in on Cleveland being a possible 9/11 target?
    -- Eric

I have found tha EVERY state has a "possible terrorist target" in it. As for the Sept 11 targets, I have heard just about every big city east of the Mississippi say that they were the intended target.

However, a petting zoo in rural Indiana, a piano store in Chicago and a dairy farm in Illinois were all on the TSA list of being possible terrorist targets (see what I mean about the TSA!!!). Going by that criteria, my house should have been on that list!!!!!
    "You shouldn't play leapfrog with a porcupine. You might get hurt." - Eliza Breakey, Age 4

Disney05 is offline Premium Annual Passholder
    I fly out of Long Island. Security is not bad to get through here. Though they still have my 6 year old daughter take off her shoes. Small price to pay I guess to get to WDW. I also work in the airport, corporate side. We had to pick up a passenger at the main terminal today and she said they confiscated her lipstick.
    When you wish upon a star.....
    LAUGHTER IS TIMELESS, IMAGINATION HAS NO AGE AND DREAMS ARE FOREVER.
    Adults are only kids grown up, anyway. WD
    ...That's the real trouble with the world. Too many people grow up. WD
    "For those who get it, no explanation is necessary. For those who don't, no explanation will do."

http://wdwhomesick.wordpress.com/

ERich2010 is offline just cant get enough
    Quote Originally Posted by CleveRocks
    Since when was Cleveland suspected of being a target of 9/11 terrorists? What were they going to target, the Rock Hall? The plant where they make Stadium Mustard???

I know that United Flight 93 pulled an almost u-turn near Cleveland, but that was on its way to the target, Washington, D.C. Can you fill us in on Cleveland being a possible 9/11 target?
    my mistake. that is what i was meaning to say but i got all mixed up and freaked out. (it was the middle of the night running off of 5 hours of sleep) sorry bout that.
    Eric

Yo Ho Yo Ho a Pirates Life for Me...

Bangarang Rufio

Quote Originally Posted by Disney05
    I fly out of Long Island. Security is not bad to get through here. Though they still have my 6 year old daughter take off her shoes. Small price to pay I guess to get to WDW. I also work in the airport, corporate side. We had to pick up a passenger at the main terminal today and she said they confiscated her lipstick.
    What I've heard alot of people doing to make the shoe thing painless is wearing flip flops/sandals/thongs. I've even seen guys in buisness attire wearing them when flying commercial.

Which FBO do you work for and what airport. I work for Landmark Aviation at RDU. I'm the training coordinator for them. How bout you?

Disney05 is offline Premium Annual Passholder
    Flight ops manager, KISP, NY Jet.
    When you wish upon a star.....
    LAUGHTER IS TIMELESS, IMAGINATION HAS NO AGE AND DREAMS ARE FOREVER.
    Adults are only kids grown up, anyway. WD
    ...That's the real trouble with the world. Too many people grow up. WD
    "For those who get it, no explanation is necessary. For those who don't, no explanation will do."

http://wdwhomesick.wordpress.com/

trickster is offline Hakuna Matata!!... It means no worries!!
    Since this foiled plot has come to light and all these restrictions have been put in place when flying out of the UK, it has totally put a 'downer' on our forth coming trip to WDW.

It is d a m n right frustrating and annoying that a few mindless people can spoil it for everyone else.

Now, because of this, I now have no interest in flying or our trip, which to me is all part and parcel of my holiday.
    Rich

"Most of my life I have done what I wanted to do. I have had fun on the job.
    I have never been able to confine that fun to office hours." ~ Walt Disney

Quote Originally Posted by trickster
    Now, because of this, I now have no interest in flying or our trip, which to me is all part and parcel of my holiday.

Rich, that is exactly what terrorists like this want....to put fear in the minds of the world. IMHO by avoiding flying...they win.

trickster is offline Hakuna Matata!!... It means no worries!!
    ... Oh, we'll still be coming - no doubt about that. But it makes you think though!!

The other annoying thing is the safety of cameras and camcorders in the hold and - as it is at present - not been able to take anything to read on the plane?!... Having said that, the situation may change in 7 weeks.

... I suppose I can start reading Lou's 2nd book now then!!!!!!!!!!
    Rich

"Most of my life I have done what I wanted to do. I have had fun on the job.
    I have never been able to confine that fun to office hours." ~ Walt Disney

GirlStar613 is offline Queen of Couture
    i am flying to disney this thurs....my mom made a great suggestion, since i normally take a small wheel on suitcase(which i am still taking) and put my face wash/ hair gels and such in a carry on to save space....to go to a duane reade/cvs etc and buy the small bottles that you can fill up with your shampoos and whatever else to take up less room in a suitcase that i will check instead of carrying it on the plane.

i also agree that you can't let these terrorist "win" and to go on with your lives and do things you normally do..it is horrible that by just a few people doing these awful things it impacts everyone.
    Erica

"There's a great big beautiful tomorrow, shining at the end of everyday. There's a great big beautiful tomorrow, just a dream away!"

When I grow up I wanna be a Disney

Mike2006 is offline B-Ticket Holder
    how crazy the world really is

One suggestion I have regarding liquids in checked luggage. Make sure you put them in a container. A Ziplock bag or a rubbermaid container will go a long way toward containing spills.

As for reading materials on the plane, They haven't banned ALL carry on items yet. Computers are still allowed (for now), and carrying a magazine/book on shouldn't be an issue. I would just make sure that you carry it in your hand and not in a bag. But as you said, who knows what will happen in 7 weeks.

Erica is right, WE CANNOT LET THE TERRORISTS WIN!!!!!! By saying, "I'm never flying again." or "I'm cancelling my vacation" because of the recent events is giving the terrorists exactly what they want. I say **** the terrorists!!!! The only way that they are going to take my freedom away is by killing me!!!
    Last edited by ToddBreakey; 08-14-2006 at 06:40 AM.

disneydame2004 is offline Celebrate Everyday!
    Quote Originally Posted by ToddBreakey
    One suggestion I have regarding liquids in checked luggage. Make sure you put them in a container. A Ziplock bag or a rubbermaid container will go a long way toward containing spills.
    My suitcase has so many ziploc bags in it right now, I should buy stock in them! bags for spills, bags for keeping inspectors hands off my unmentionables, bags for organizing the kids clothes, bags with the air pressed out of them to make more room for more bags.....
    -Pat (Disneydame2004)
    Dream Team Auction Coordinator

Help make a child smile! Dream Team Project Firstgiving Page

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast