Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Trip Reports & Member Reviews Discuss Dinsney Darling Juniors First Trip in the Vacation Planning forums; After plans fell through to meet up with a friend and spend some time at Disney I decided to be spontaneous and face the “kingdom” alone with my little prince., ...
    disneydarling is offline ...and the mome raths outgrabe

Dinsney Darling Juniors First Trip

After plans fell through to meet up with a friend and spend some time at Disney I decided to be spontaneous and face the “kingdom” alone with my little prince., my son Riley, age 19 months. We woke up early Saturday morning (is there really another option with a one year old), had a leisurely breakfast, packed our bags, ran some errands and hit the road..I tried to time the 2 hour drive with his nap..and managed to do so perfectly; he was out cold by the time we hit Ocala and woke up literally just as we entered the gates to the parking and transportation center. I decided to treat myself to a Florida residents season pass because a) I will use it more than enough to justify the unusually reasonable price, and b) as a birthday present to myself. After buying our ticket we hopped on the purple monorail and set course for the Magic Kingdom. Needless to say Ri loved the monorail – he stood in his seat, pressed his little nose to the window and averaged about one “whoa” every 20 seconds!
    First thing once inside MK, we headed over to guest relations to pick up a “First Time Guest” pin for Riley to proudly wear. We then took a short walk across the square to Exposition Hall. The back of this building has a movie theater that runs old Mickey movies as well as several backdrops from classic animated films that offer great photo opportunities. Unfortunately Ri was still a bit overwhelmed by everything and not too keen on posing for pictures. C’est la vie.
    I decided to ditch our stroller in a central location – Cinderella’s Carousel - (Ri is the only child I know that, for the most part, loathes his stroller, and holding him while pushing it with my free hand seemed a bit redundant). On the way towards the castle we stopped and chatted with the Main Street Mayor and Councilman. Riley was completely in awe of the castle, we stood at the base for about 15 minutes before he was ready to move on
    Sisterhood of the traveling pirate in the pants: charter member

A friend will help you mend a broken heart; a best friend will get a shovel and help you dig the hole.

A friend will help you mend a broken heart; a best friend will get a shovel and help you dig the hole.

Our first ride was on the carousel. Riley began shouting “horse” (which actually sounds more like hhhhrsh) and making horsey noises as soon as we saw it. I was a little dizzy but he loved it. Afterwards we grabbed a fast pass for Peter Pan and headed over to Tommorowland to grab a long overdue bite to eat at the Starlight Café.

A Family Tradition....stuffing our face at WDW

On the way over Riley spotted the cars at the Speedway and went wild with excitement (he literally shrieked and started to do a little dance). I promised him we would ride first thing after lunch and he held me too it, as soon as we finished eating he began pointing urgently in the direction of the Indy Speedway. Despite the 30 min wait we entered the queue. Unfortunately the concept of waiting in line is completely lost on toddlers; he kept trying to sneak under the dividers to get to the ride and could not understand the reasoning behind winding back an forth for half an hour. Thankfully the wait paid off, Riley LOVED driving the race cars. He began fiddling with the wheel as soon as we sat down and broke into the biggest grin when we actually began moving! God help us all when this boy turns 16…he was a completely wild driver, snatching the wheel side to side all the while yelling at me to “Go go go”.

The speedway was a hard act to follow but we did our best with a ride on the peoplemover. Riley insisted on sitting across from me like a big boy until we entered the dark portion of the ride, at which time he practically flew into my lap, his little eyes as round as dinner plates. We spotted Stitch walking towards the character greeting area from the peoplemover and were first in line to see him.

On the way back to Fantasyland we rode the Teacups. Another family asked if they could join us in our cup. Six people made for a “cozy” ride, but Riley quickly made pals with the family’s 2 year old and they had fun spinning the cup together.
    Our next adventure was aboard Peter Pan’s Flight..a ride which despite it benign nature required the use of Mamas lap. I decided to knock Pirates and the Haunted Mansion off our to-do list for the day after seeing Ri’s uneasy reaction to Peter Pan. We cured the “scarys” with a turn on Dumbo. Riley enjoyed working the joystick and was reluctant to leave his elephant once the ride was over.

I decided that Riley needed a little physical play time (ok..so mostly I was tired of carrying him and needed a break) so we headed over to the Pooh playground. As luck should have the “sily old bear: himself was there. I was nervous that Riley might be a little scared of him but I needn’t have worried. Riley LOVED Pooh, he hugged hi, kissed him, and compliment of all compliment, offered him his pacifier! After the Poof love fest we headed over to the playground. He had done a couple turns on the slide when the water feature caught his eye. Basically it is a serious of fountains on a soft surface that turn on and off at random. Riley was caught off guard by one and was absolutely delighted. I have never seen this kid have so much fun…and despite the fact that he was quickly becoming soaked and did not have a change of clothes on hand, I simply did not have the heart to stop him. He squealed, he danced, he ran around in circles. When the fountain turned off he would bend over and put his face as close to the opening to see where the water had gone, and was thrilled when the spray hit him square in the forehead. I now had a dripping wet baby and no dry clothes so I stripped his diaper, wrapped him in my sweatshirt, and headed off to find some dry clothes to fit him. After visiting the emporium (lost of shirts, but no pants small enough to fit him) and Sir Mickey’s (only adult clothes) we ended up at Tinkerbell’s Treasures where we managed to find a Peter Pan costume in his size. He got so much attention from guest and cast members alike once he put on the costume I’ve already decided to make it his official Disney uniform.

vixen101485 is offline Queen of the Swaps, bow before me
    He is absolutely adorable. Looks like he had a great day and you did a wonderful job of a trip report.
    It's a Disney thing. If you understood, your only question would be "can I go?"

TRICK OR TREAT FOR UNICEF
    FOR MORE INFO CLICK THIS LINK http://inside.unicefusa.org/goto/Meghyn

Decked out in his Neverland finest we headed over to Liberty Square to take a turn on the riverboat. Riley enjoyed running around the upper deck, bouncing from side to side to see the different views. It was actually my first time on the boat and I now regret not having gone sooner..the slow paced cruise was a really nice break from the hubbub of the rest of the park.
    We grabbed dinner at Columbia House where Riley spilt his milk (no use crying) and then made our way to the Winnie the Pooh ride. Ri loved the ride nearly as much as he loved the character..although the heffalumps and woozles made him a bit apprehensive.

It was getting dark and we were both getting tired but I felt it would be criminal to come all this way and not get a picture of Riley with Mickey so we headed over the the Judges Tent. Riley was not nearly as fond of Mickey as he was of Pooh, but we managed to get a couple good pictures.

By 7:00pm we were back in the parking lot…..and completely lost (misplacing my car in obscenely large parking lots is one of my hobbies). Thanks to the remote alarm we were able to find her in less than ten minutes (somewhat of a record). I took one final picture of Ri strapped into his seat before we started home. Riley looked at me and began signing “more”. I ask him “more water” “NO”, “more blanket” “NO” “more paci?” “NO” More Disney?” – he nodded his head, and most of his body, vigorously “YES!” No sooner had I started the ignition, less than 30 seconds he asked for seconds, I caught site of his sleeping face in my rear view…completely zonked out!.
    I have been to Disney many many many times over the years and have made many wonderful memories there, but none will compare with the experience of showing my son the magic that is WDW for the first time. I can hardly wait for our next visit!

Last edited by disneydarling; 01-28-2007 at 09:54 PM.

On a side note..I was SHOCKED by how crowded the park was. I normally go for my bday around the 3rd week of Jan and it is empty..Not sure if there was something unusual going on this weekend but it was as crowded as a summer day!!

DisneyFREAK91 is offline We go on
    HOW CUTE!!! lol

Amazing trip report disneydarling! I absolutely loved it!
    Remember, Dreams Come True!

Tinker Bell is offline DisneyWorldTrivia.com Lifetime Pass
    That was great! I loved the photos too, good job. Makes me want to take my little guys.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast