Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Trip Reports & Member Reviews Discuss Pipper DLP Trip report in the Vacation Planning forums; Greetings all, Just got back from Disney Land Paris and thought I would jot down a trip report for anyone who is interested. I’ll preface this by stating that I ...
    Pipper is offline B-Ticket Holder

Pipper DLP Trip report

Greetings all,

Just got back from Disney Land Paris and thought I would jot down a trip report for anyone who is interested. I’ll preface this by stating that I am no where near as prolific a writer as our hero Lou. This was a historic trip for me my wife and 2 of our 4 kids as we can now claim that we have been to all 4 Disney Parks throughout the world. My two youngest missed out on Tokyo Disney Land when I was living in Tokyo as they were not yet born! But my favorite resort will always be Walt Disney World in Orlando as it represents my childhood memories of Disney. Therefore I make several comparisons to WDW.

Day 1 (Tuesday 23 November)

Arrived at Disneyland train stop after riding the Eurostar train from London at about 3pm. For those of you who are familiar with Disney Land Paris, the train stop puts you right at the entrance to Downtown Disney, Disney Land Park and Disney Studios. My plan was to run down to the ticket counter and purchase two day passports for both parks. I left the wife and kids back at the train stop with all the luggage as we needed to catch the Hotel Bus to the hotel from the train stop. I figured I could save some time by getting the tickets for the next 2 days to avoid queing for tickets in the AM. I returned about 20 minutes later not with 2 day passports but with annual passes. I kept thinking my wife’s going to kill me but hey it’s Disney and we’re on vacation in Paris! It only cost me 80 Euros more total for annual passes for 6 plus it gave us more flexibility while in Paris (not to mention a perfect excuse for coming back soon!). Caught the bus to the Holiday Inn at the stop (very similar to the bus system in use at WDW). 15 minutes later we were checked in at the hotel. Of course instead of settling in for the evening like we had planned, it was off to the Magic Kingdom for the night – hey did I mention I bought season passes!

The Park really looked beautiful with all the Christmas lights and music. My first impressions were that it was very similar to Main Street in Tokyo and Disneyland more so than WDW. It is substantially smaller than WDW. No matter – it felt as though I was home. Everything felt very familiar yet slightly different. We headed straight for Discovery Land (Tomorrow Land) for my favorite ride – Space Mountain. Looks more futuristic than WDW as it is colored Gold and has lots of Earth tones and Neon lights. I prefer the traditional white covered look though. The ride itself is way cool with 2 inversions! The height restriction only allowed for my two oldest daughters to ride with me (actually only 1 is really tall enough but the second one slipped thru the system!) The rockets are different as well – side by side seating vice tandem style and they could fit about 40 or so in one shot vice only 6. Star Tours was next – Rex and C3PO speaking French. The kids thought that was pretty funny. Just like in WDW we seemed to blow past Endor every time. We then grabbed some quick chow at the Hyperion Café. It’s right next to space mountain and is done in the same futuristic look. It’s set up like a big ampitheater seating style as they have the Legend of the Lion King show several times a day here. Very American style hamburger type fair and real French fries (OK we were in France and kids brought that one up). After dinner we all settled in right in front of the castle for the 730pm Fantillusion Parade. The castle is spectacular looking all lit up in purple with several thousand purple “icecycle” types lights as well. The parade looked and felt very similar to the Main Street Electrical Parade minus the “elelectical Parade” synthesized music. I have several photos that I will post. After the parade it was down Main Street for some shopping and then back to the Hotel for an evening of indoor pool swimming. During the Christmas season it “snows” on Main Street every half hour for a few minutes – just like at Mickey’s very Merry Christmas Party! You’ll notice that I make references to WDW a lot because that’s what I’m most familiar with. It was then back to the hotel where we all went swimming (indoor pool!).

Day 2 (Wednesday 24 November 2004)

This should have been our first day in the Park but since we spent a few hours the first night in the Park it was day 2 Anyway, we were early of course and were at the base of the castle at the “rope drop”. Straight thru the castle to Fantasyland. The park was empty and we were able to ride on everything with no wait what so ever. It was very cold and clear so it was nice to ride on the indoor rides. The rides were identical to what I could remember. Dumbo seems to be rather popular no matter what park you ride it in. Peter Pan of course was in French and “flying” over London had new meaning to us since we live in London! Many of the characters were available and all the kids got many autographs with virtually no crowds. Mickey was especially accommodating! I felt especially blessed to be able to ride “It’s a Small World” as I know it’s under rehab in WDW. It is more like IASW in Disneyland than WDW (it has the same façade as Disneyland). There was also some interactive touch screen computer activities for the kids at the end of the ride at the exit area in which you could communicate with others in different languages. OK now I’m kind of foggy on where we all ate but we didn’t starve so I’m sure we ate somewhere. Lou, I do remember scouting for turkey legs as the next day was Thanksgiving and I wanted my turkey. I’m sad to report that turkey legs don’t exist in Disneyland Paris and if they do I couldn’t find them. In the late afternoon we headed off to Aventureland and (start singing Lou – Frontierland). In these two Lands we went on Pirates of the Carribean – French speaking Pirates! And the Phantom Manor (aka Haunted Mansion – narrated in French of course). The Manor was similar in most regards but the big difference comes at the end – it’s the same ghoul riding on all the cars. Big Thunder Mountain was about the same as WDW. Indiana Jones and the Temple of Peril was a unique ride that I don’t recall anywhere else. It is a backward riding rollercoaster which was very similar to Big Thunder Mountain with two looping inversions. Very cool. I was hoping to see the Country Bears but there is no venue at DLP. Bummer. I have video of the Bears from Japan singing in Japanese and it is very funny. I was hoping to see it in French. Also notably missing was Splash Mountain – probably for the best as it was pretty bitterly cold out. Of course after eating again somewhere after popcorn and other goodies we settled in for the Fantillusion Parade for the second night in a row. You always seem to notice more details the second time around. Day 2 complete. Same as day 1 – back to the hotel for a swim.

Day 3 (Happy Thanksgiving)

Early start again but this time it was off to MGM Studios. It is within walking distance from the Magic Kingdom front gate. Of course the first thing we (me and my oldest daughters) did was head to RnR starring Aerosmith. We rode that twice while DW and two smaller ones rode Aladin’s Flying Carpets. RnR was awesome and very much like in WDW. The most notable difference is that there are many more stage lights and less glowing neon roadsigns – I kept looking for any sighting of the I-5 to no avail. After RnR we checked out Armagedon Special Effects. I had no idea what to expect and it was very cool – I wouldn’t recommend it for younger ones but it felt like you were on a space station with asteroid fragments bombarding you. I don’t want to say more than that in order not to riun the uncertainty for those of you that may go on this one day – the uncertainty was half of the suspense. After that we all hooked up for the Backlot studio tram tour. Catastrophy Canyon was the highlight. I have not been on this ride anywhere else so I don’t know how similar it is elsewhere. Jeremy Irons and a French celebrity narrate the tour via plasma screen TV’s on board the tram. The kids enjoyed having “Scar” as there guide. The cold and the Fog were both in full swing. Visibility was down to about a quarter mile. So after the tram ride we headed inside for some hot chocolate. The main Street in MGM is in doors which was a blessing on this frigid day. I’ll post a photo of that as well. We then took in an indoor show at Cinamagique. A very funny and entertaining show centered on the big screen but also involving live action cast members and some stage special effects – once again I don’t want to give too much away as the unknown was half the fun of the show. We are not huge MGM fans in WDW so we decided we had seen and done all we wanted to here in Paris so we decided to celebrate Thanksgiving lunch by heading over to the Disney Village and Planet Hollywood. It is within walking distance of MGM and the Magic Kingdom. We sat under a huge F-18 jet which was used in the movie Independence Day which was awesome as I fly the F-14 Tomcat Fighter jet. Happy thanksgiving – the service was awesome and everyone ate their fill – not as expensive as I thought it would be either. After lunch (and it was getting pretty late) we went back to the magic kingdom to reride all our favorites. A cool ride this evening was Phantom Manor – the fog was still Very thick and it really added spookiness to the attraction! The kids seemed to take a liking to Star Tours – I wonder if it has anything to do with the fact that I just bought the Trilogy on DVD and we’ve all been watching the movies. They especially like the fact that Rex seems to be a bumbling pilot. They hope their Dad is better! After a quick bite of chile for dinner (I know non Thanksgiving traditional and as I said before I was bummed that I couldn’t find any Turkey Legs Lou) we headed back to Disney Village for some shopping. By the way – annual passes get you 10% off all purchases so it was beneficial for us to get them (plus now I have an excuse to go back).

Day 4

We spent all day in downtown Paris getting oriented. The real thrill was going to the top of the Eiffel Tower! It was cold and somewhat foggy again. After spending the entire day in Paris it was back to the train and our hotel and since the train drops you off right in front of DLP – what else – some RnR/Star Tours/Space Mountain and Honey I Shrunk the Audience – Same presentation but in French. They do have a few rows with English translation headsets but the main theater volume overpowers the headsets. No matter – you know the story line.

Day 5

Another day in downtown Paris for some culture. The Louvre, the Mona Lisa the Arc de Triomph and Notre Dame. We went up to the top of Notre Dame and saw the Bells. It looked just like Disney’s animated version and I kept expecting to run into Quasi and I half expected the gargoyles to come to life with Jason Alexander’s voice (I know – more Disney references). Back to the Hotel for a restful night after watching the Eiffel Tower sparkle at night. The next AM it was back on the Eurostar for a 2 ½ hour trip back to London.

My overall impression is that Disney Land Paris is awesome! It is substantially smaller than WDW but every bit of the Disney magic you would expect. You can still get very tired walking but you can cover more ground in a very short period of time. There were no fireworks when I was there and I missed that and I wished the Parks were opened later at night. Magic Kingdom closes at 8pm while the studios closed at 6pm during the winter season. The cast members were nothing short of spectacular. They were very helpful and all spoke English very well. I find that if you go out of your way to try to learn other’s culture and to speak their language (even just a few phrases) they will go the extra mile for you as well. I know I’ve left out a bunch of stuff but like I said writing 101 was never my forte.

Pipper

Princess Jas is offline Princess of Agrabah
    Quote Originally Posted by Pipper
    This was a historic trip for me my wife and 2 of our 4 kids as we can now claim that we have been to all 4 Disney Parks throughout the world.
    Congratulations! Sounds like you all had a lot of fun on your trip!
    - Jas (Rebecca)

I got engaged at Epcot on June 17, 2007! We're going back to celebrate my graduation in May 2009!

crashbunny is offline Moderator
    Pipper I have a question- how difficult would it be for a non french speaking american female stuck in France on business to get to DLP?
    I have to go to Europe for 2 -3 weeks for work and I have 1 or 2 days to explore and I was wondering if it would be a problem for me. RIght now they're being really vague about where I'll be- either Germany or France. Will it be a hassle for me being by myself?
    Thanks
    Marie

Crashbunny,
    Not a problem at all. Many folks speak English well enough to help you out especially if you are in a city or larger town. The train system is very easy to understand in France. If you are in downtown Paris it's a simple 40 minute train ride to DLP. DLP is on the end of the line so you can't go wrong and the Park entrance is literally right there in front of you when you get off the train. The train signs are very clearly marked as are all the train stops. I don't have as much experience in Germany so I can't comment on the trains there but in general all of Europe is fairly easy to navigate and get around. So long as you are smart about travelling alone you will have absolutely no problems (don't travel late at night in bad areas of town by yourself - that kind of stuff). If you are going to head over to DLP please let me know and I can't give some recommendations on hotels in the area that are 1. not overly expensive 2. american friendly (you'll find many hotels in Europe are small and simple - without the usual amenities you'll find in the states) and 3. located in easy to get to and from where you want to go.
    I hope you get to go - it was a great time.

Rich

CB,
    I just read my last reply - I mean I CAN give you some recommendations on hotels (so much for proof reading before hitting the send button!) Plus please contact me before you go so I can give you some tips and pitfalls - there are several of them that will make your trip so much smoother - I had 4 kids with me so 1 person will be easy.

Rich

Thanks
    I'll have to let you know
    the company keeps changing where I'll be going \
    now it could be Helsinki, Nuess, Dusseldorf , Alnay, Spain or italy
    Right now most of the problems are in france and germany but
    if it looks like France I'll let you know
    It would be nice to get to a hotel thats "American" friendly.
    Thanks for the info
    Marie

fray101 is offline C-Ticket Holder
    Hey Pipper, only just caught up with this thread - have been looking forward to reading your report. Glad you had a great time even if you didn't get your turkey legs!

If you've read my trip report you'll know I made quite a few comparisons between the various attractions at DLRP and WDW. Obviously the French park is a lot smaller but there's still lots to do, in my opinion it's much prettier and you have the added convenience that everything's pretty much in walking distance. Having said that, I did find the CMs (and fellow guests come to think of it) more chatty at WDW but I think that's most likely because you didn't have to fight through the language barrier!

Dream our dreams forever...

http://disneypix.tripod.com

Well I'm going to Germany on the 9th - I hope that I'll get the chance to sneak over to DLP
    but it's not looking too good......

MandaBella is offline "She who must be loved."
    Quote Originally Posted by crashbunny
    Well I'm going to Germany on the 9th - I hope that I'll get the chance to sneak over to DLP
    but it's not looking too good......
    I hope you get over there too CB.

I'm still mourning the loss of my Paris trip.

Apparently my mourning involves hatching wacky and crazy schemes to get to WDW this month...
    Last edited by Mandabella; 01-05-2005 at 12:55 AM.
    Amanda
    always plotting, planning, and looking forward to our next adventure...

CB,
    Will you be in Germany on 9 January? I will be in Germany 10-14 January in Stuttgart!

Leaving in a few hours for dusseldorf- and then right to belgium and then Holland, back to germany and then either France austria or Spain- I really will be doing the amazing race! I'll keep checking my emails - I might be close by at that time

sadizney is offline C-Ticket Holder
    Thanks for a great trip report! I hope to go to DLP some day!!

DL trips: April '88, Oct '91, June '95, Aug '95

WDW trips: Apr. '74, Aug '78, Aug '80, Aug '84, June '86, Oct '86, March '87, Oct '90, June '92, Aug '92, Jan '93, Aug '93 Nov '94, Aug '95, Aug '96, June '97, Aug '98, June/July 2000, July 2001, July 2002, June 2003, July, 2005 and June/July, 2006 for re-opening of PotC!!