Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Trip Reports & Member Reviews Discuss COLD, WET, and FUN! Our Feb Trip in the Vacation Planning forums; I will keep each day brief, just in case this is not too thrilling. Day #1 Jan. Left for Atlantic City airport at 3:45 pm for our flight to see ...
    MickeyspalJim is offline Fastpass Holder

COLD, WET, and FUN! Our Feb Trip

I will keep each day brief, just in case this is not too thrilling.

Day #1 Jan. Left for Atlantic City airport at 3:45 pm for our flight to see Mickey.
    Got there in Great time and had dinner at the airport. Small clean airport, So happy that Spirit Air leaves out of AC! Of course, the flight for the first time in years is very late, and We are very tired from a long day at work and on the road. Got the pilot to kick it up a notch and made up most of the lost time. Arriving in Orlando only 15 or 20 Mins. Later than expected. So, Debbie and I split up here, she went down to Magical Express check-in and I went to retrieve our luggage. We did not have it sent right to the room because at the last min. We bought into DVC and changed from All-Star Movies, to the Saratoga Springs resort that We bought into.
    Debbie had no trouble getting our passes for the bus, as the DVC Member Services had made all changes with our resort and had notified Magical Express of the change, before I could get the first bag off of the conveyor, Debbie was there to help Me down stairs with the bags. From the time We got off the plane till our butts were sitting comfortably on the ME, was only a matter of 25 total Mins. THAT WAS AMAZING!
    We did sit for 15 mins. on the bus for them to wait for other late arriving guests to load, which We did not mind, seeing how well everything else went. Usually We let the ME pick up our bags and bring them to the room, but the last min. change caused us to not want to take a chance and We loaded our bags on the bus with Us.
    The trip to our resort was fairly quick and We were the second stop after drop offs at OKW resort. By 10:30 We were checking into our resort. It turned out that We were staying right across the street from the carriage house and bell survices took us there right away!
    By 10:55, We were sitting in our room on the 3rd floor overlooking the pool and the bike rental shop, and smiling a great big smile after seeing how great our Studio room was. We are not sure if It was because We had to sign the rest of our paperwork the following day to finish our DVC purchase or what, but We loved being in room 3712 right near everything. A short walk to the bus, pool, check-in and the food court and store. We will be going back in May and hope to luck out this way again.
    I will end this days journal with "I hope that You will enjoy this and I will post each other day 1 at a time and see if Anyone wants to read this. If not, I will end it at that days trip notes.
    Thanks for reading Day one of 6!
    11 Pre-DVC Trips to WDW 8-1978 through 12-2006.

Our DVC/Disney Resort trips have been:

Trip #1 (Jan 31-Feb 5-07) SSR. Studio.
    Trip #2 (May 1- 8-07) OKW. Studio.
    Trip #3 (June 26-July 1-07) SSR. 1 Bdrm.
    Trip #4 (Sept 16-21-07) OKW. 1 & 2 Bdrm.
    Trip #5 (Nov 29-Dec 3-07) AKL.
    Trip #6 (Jan 26-Feb 2-08) AKL. Studio.
    Trip #7 (April 12-18-08) SSR. 1 Bdrm.
    Trip #8 (May 23-27-08) SSR. Studio.
    Trip # 9(May 27-30-08) OKW. Studio.
    Trip # 10(Sept 10-17-08) BWV. Studio
    Trip # 11 (Nov 15-21-08) VWL. 2 Bdrm.
    Trip # 12 (Dec 19-21-08) SSR. Studio.
    Trip # 13(Feb 1-6-09) SSR. 2 Bdrm.
    Trip # 14(Feb 27-Mar 1-09) AKV Studio
    Trip # 15(Apr 30-May 8-09) ASR Movies-1 nite, PO Riverside- 4 nites, SSR Studio 3 nites
    Trip # 16(July 6th-10th-09)Pop Century
    Trip # 17(Sept 18th-24th-2009)Pop Century
    Trip #18(Oct 10th-16th 2009) ASR Music-1 nite, SSR Treehouses 5 nites
    Trip #19(Jan 20th-26th 2010) OKW-4 nites, Bch Club Studio Villa 2 nites
    Trip #20(Apr 23rd-26th 2010) Caribbean Beach Resort
    Trip #21(June 18th-25th 2010) POR 2 nites, SSR 2bdrm Villa 5 Nites.

Day 2 Feb 1st, 07

We had Mickey wake us up with stitch at 7am. After showing in our very large and refreshing bathroom, We headed out to have breakfast at The Artists Pallet around 8:15 or so, taking photos along the way like 2 kids with a new toy. If we saw it, I took a photo of it. :-)
    We purchased our breakfast and picked up those all you can drink on Your stay Cups. Well worth the cost. With our DVC discount, We Payed about $22.00 with taxes. But just remember, (only use these cups while you are on this trip, buy new ones each time. Wink, Wink)
    Breakfast is tasty, but the selection is not the largest here. Not sure why they came up with this format? but alot of guests have there beliefs as to why. I guess I am used to the Value and Moderate resort food courts that have alot of different choices.
    We ate in the really beautiful, and relaxing dinning area. Clean, comfortable and pleasant music playing.
    After a quick breakfast, We heading back to our room to wait for our meeting with Ken Houston from DVC. The weather was chilly, We did not expect to need to bundle up, but we left Jersey with nighttime temps near 15, so this was fine with Us.
    About 9:30am, We walked across the street to Meet Ken. He saw us right away, and done in less than an hour after all the paperwork and millions of questions from Debbie and I. He gave us 2 Fastpass cards that were good for 3 rides per card for 4 consecutive days. The time for the pass was good for an hr. from the min. We slipped in the card. No waiting to come back at our assigned time. It was great to have, kinda felt like bigshots! LOL
    After becoming "Real" member, I called to Member services after we walked back to our room and tried to rebook our DVC Resort for May to try out one of the other Resorts in the club, but being so close to the date of arrival in May, nothing was available in a studio in one of the smaller resorts, so They put Us on an automatic waiting list with 3 Resorts of our choice in order of our most wanted. If any comes available, they will change us from Saratoga Springs to whichever comes open first and let Us know afterwards. If a higher selection comes up, We will get that one automatically as well. It is like having cruise control on it is so easy.
    After this call, Deb and I decided to head over on the bus to Downtown Disney to eat lunch and hit the shopping. I must admit, I am a pin aholic, I must buy a new mickey pin ever 2 mins. LOL We ended up just heading for McDonalds for a quick bite and to sit and wait our a sudden Lightning storm. It was cool out and the clouds were very dark! It passed without any rain, so We headed out to shop.
    I did manage to find a few new pins. "-) And some sunglasses too! Funny thing though, I went the rest of the trip not needing the sun shading part of the glasses being that mister sunshine decided to head elsewhere! Shopping was fun, not too crowded being early thursday and a chance of rain.
    We walked over to the boat dock to get our first chance to experience the ferry that runs over to Saratoga Springs and then heads to OKW from there. We arrived back at our room around 1:45pm got a little rest before our trip to Magic Kingdom for our night with the Pirates and Princesses Party.. WOO HOOO
    Our journey outside of Saratoga started about 4:55pm which turned out later when I decided to bring My very expensive camera back to the room and bring Debbies small pocket camera instead, seeing the threat of rain and the drops on My glasses.
    I will continue the post about the party later tonight, I need to run out for a bit and don't want to forget any of the fun party details.
    Please let Me know if You want Me to continue or not when I get back later, OK?
    Thanks for being honest.

Trip # 15(Apr 30-May 8-09) ASR Movies-1 nite, PO Riverside- 4 nites, SSR Studio 3 nites

ChipNDale is offline Yeah, my Rubber Duck wears a Tiara FCOL!
    I think you are doing great... Keep on posting the report!!!
    WHAFTFCOL now who wants a cookie!?!
    Copy Right of S&B LLC.
    SITTM... We have an App for that!

Yeah, I like Ninja Rubber Duckies FCOL!

Ok, Great! Thanks ChipNDale, I sure will

NORMNB8S is offline And they call him Sandy Claws
    Definitely keep it up, I'm especially interested in the DVC!
    Engaged to a wonderful woman on 12-12-08 at the Magic Kingdom!

Pop Century - August 2005
    Caribbean Beach - December 2008

Day 2 continued. Feb, 1st 07
    Today was a day that would have been a change of plans, had we not pre-purchased the tickets for the party. Don't get Me wrong, Disney in the rain is fun too! I just love to take photos with My Canon Rebel xti and had my first disney trip with it and could not take the chance of it getting wet.
    We got there sometime after 5pm, and they had already set up effects for the party that officially starts at 7-7:30 each night they have it. As You walk in the gates, it starts with the cast members all dressed up in different sorts of pirates and Princesses outfits, or were they? they did look real. The front of the park had signs, and special lighting to set the mood. As You walk under the train station, they had smoke machines pumping really cool fog out covering the entrance. Pirates were handing out our "booty bags" for party goers of all ages to get great booty of candy and different color bead necklaces to add to the pirate fun. RRRRRRRRGHHHH
    We headed down mainstreet to get a quick bite to eat, taking photos of the banners along the way. I also got a shot of the wooden fences surrounding one of the stores being remodled. They try to make it as natural looking as possible, but it takes up the sidewalk, which trying to walk would bring much pain. LOL
    Being that this trip was just a quick fill in trip before our return in May, We kept all our meals very simple and inexpensive. So, to that extent, We headed over to Casey's for some Hotdogs and Fries. We sat out on the chairs just outside of Casey's which give you a chance to sit amongst the DUCKS. lots of them. They were getting way too friendly. After this, We headed over towards Swiss family Robinsons Tree and walked up the tree in the dark with just some dim lights along the way. This was a first for Me. We had the tree almost to ourselves. We headed over to the Jungle Cruise after this, a wait of about 2 mins. That was a treat. Again, this was a first in the dark. At one point, they turned the lights from the boat off, that was a great experience.
    With the cold weather, we had to pass on Splash Mountain. Picking up "Booty along the way" We checked the schedule, and headed over to the castle front and watched a great show about dreams with Donald, Mickey, Minnie and Goofy, along with other fun characters. What a great show!
    Afterwards We headed around looking for more booty. checking out any rides we enjoy along the way. We came over to mainstreet for the parade of pirates and princesses. We were very suprised to get the chance to see Tinkerbell in the parade sitting on top of treasure chest. That parade was lots of fun.
    We ran over to See Johnny Depp in the Pirates of the Carribean ride, that is so much fun and the changes they made only improved the ride. Great sound and fun to see Captain Jack throughout. Our night finished off with the fantastic pirates Firework show over the castle. It was delayed for a while due to heavy winds, but got started and the crowd was happy they waited.
    We were planning on keeping our days short, so We headed back around 10:27,
    and it only took 20 mins. to get back to SSR. We rushed over to the artists Palette for a quick Coffee with our cups before they closed at 11:00. We watched the tube till midnight and hit the hay.
    Day 3 to follow.

For those who want a little info about the DVC Resort itself, I will mention things from time to time. Our first thing We noticed in the Studio compared to other Value and Moderate resorts, was the extra space in the overall room. The bathrooms have much more space. You are not sitting right up against the tub like the others. The bedroom/Living Room has plenty of room as well. The space between the bed and tv is larger, and instead of a bed to have to sit on the watch tv during your stay, You have a nice couch and two large chairs. And just step out onto the balcony and You really appreciate the DVC difference. The dressing sink has a very large mirror and plenty of counter space. You also have a small fridge along with a mircowave and toaster. They supply You with dishes, cups and silverware for 4.
    This resort is the newest so, everything is just starting to grow in, but they really keep up such a large resort. This resort will end up with over 800 rooms to book. I hear alot of complaints about how large this resort is, but Whatever section you are in has there own bus stop to head out of the resort and also an inner resort bus to just get around. All resorts are only as good as you make them. You are close to Downtown Disney, but away from the parks, so you need to figure out what you will be doing the most. The buses were pretty much on time and got You out to all parks in pretty short times. I think that every resort has there good days and bad days as well.

Day 3 Feb. 2nd 07

We had a late start today, The beds are just so comfortable. The couchbed is a fullsize mattress, but for someone tall and heavy like Me, I don't think that You would get a good nites sleep in it. Good for smaller guests and children.
    Anyway, we boogied out for breakfast around 9:20 for a quick bite to eat. We try to order something different each time out to see what We like off of the menu. They also offer Bagels and rolls along with the dry foods available next to the counter service. After eating, We walked to the room to get our bags and My camera. The walk from the Artists Palette to our room takes us past the fun pool near the registration desk area. You come down the stairs right next to the entrance to the really cool water slide that dumps you out into a really nice heated pool. There werr kids at night swimming when it was barely 50 degrees outside. BBBRRRRRRR!
    They also offer bike rentals for those who want to stick around and ride about the resort. they offer surrey bikes as well as bikes for one. They also offer childrens bikes. We passed these every day and never made the time to enjoy them.
    Our next adventure was over at MGM startiing out at 10:20 in the morning. We have already taken the trips where We get there to enjoy the extra magic hours they give the resort guests, so We just got there when we got there. it was really just a short bus ride to the park. We had to dodge the rain when We arrived, hitting the stores as we headed into the park. Again, right up My alley. PINS PINS PINS, I was even having a great time trading pins with the cast members. They really dont' seem to mind trading with Me!
    Over to The Tower Of Terror to try out our before mentioned super fastpasses. The joke was on Us, there was no line heading in and we were up to the pre-ride twilight zone room without seeing another guest on line. It was not until We were in that room that we saw any other guests. We were on the elevator before you knew it. That ride is more fun every time. We had a laugh when We saw the photos of two people in the front row knew when the camera shot the photo and they sat prim and proper as if it was a ride in the park, it was so funny to see. My photo was a look of horror, I can never prepare Myself for that drop. It is quite a thrill.
    We headed over to back lot food court to eat lunch, we seem to go there every time We are at MGM Studios. The lines here were also short and the wait not so long. We had a good burger and Drink and were back out into the park. The rain was off and on the whole time.

I will finish off later, I have to hit the road again, Too be continued.

seriouslydw is offline I need a vacation!
    Great trip report so far, sounds like a lot of fun!
    "There is more treasure in books than in all the pirate's loot on Treasure Island."
    Walt Disney

Quote Originally Posted by seriouslydw View Post
    Great trip report so far, sounds like a lot of fun!
    Thank You so much! I will continue on with it then.

Ok, so We left off with More rain, and a full belly...
    Debbie and I headed over to the Great Movie Ride, but for the first time since I can remember, There was more than a 35 min wait for this ride. I usually wait, but the rest of the park was ripe for the short line picking, so, Off we went for the muppet Vision 3D. We walked right into the preshow area just as they were about to go into the theater. What timing! Funny, during the show, I got a tap on the shoulder from a woman behind me, who signaled Me to scooch down, Her being very tiny, and Me over 6 feet tall, I oblidged as well as I could without sitting on the floor. LOL, what made it priceless was, that as we got up to leave, she was sound asleep behind me, who funny is that? Oh well, we still got a kick out of the show with Kermit!
    Knowing how the crowd sets up for the parade at 3pm so early, We decided to grab an icecream and have a seat on a bench along the parade route that had an umberella above it. That was at 2pm. after 45mins of sitting, two cast members had started to set up ropes and posts along the route when one cast member notified Us that our bench was in a handicapped wheelchair zone, and that if it filled up, We would have to move outside of the ropes, of course We agreed, but we laughed because last time we were here for this same parade, we sat on a bench and waited, just to have people stand right in front of Us when the parade started, completely blocking our view from the bench. causing Me to have to squeeze in to get any kind of clear shot at taking a photo. This we have begun to realize, if going to be our luck at parades. The same happened in animal kingdom as well. But, to get back to the parade, it was alot of fun as usual, except that We had hoped to see the characters from the CARS movie, which were not in the parade. Not sure where they have gone.
    After the parade ended with Pluto following behind Mickey's car, We followed them out to the main gate and headed over to the Ferry that transports us to the boardwalk. I think that taking the bus would have been a much faster way, after seeing the long wait for the ferry and waiting for all the stops along the way at the other hotels, but We just enjoyed the ride and got off at the boardwalk resort. We had planned on strolling the boardwalk, but the rain clouds had taken the ferry with Us and threatened to share there water with Us, so We Headed for the bus stop at the boardwalk. our choice of bus back to our resort was getting on a downtown disney bus at 4:30pm and head there for a bus over to Saratoga Springs. That worked out very well, and We were on a bus to SSR by 4:45. and a quick bus back got us home to our room by 5pm.
    As I had mentioned before, We had just purchased into the DVC, and decided to tour the 3 "models" I guess You would call them that they have an open house in from 5-7pm each night. We had taken the tour a year ago and just wanted to see the larger units again, being that We were in a studio. They are all great, but when You walk into the 3 bedroom Villa, oh, You feel like You are in Your house. If anyone wants to take the tour sometime they have spare time, just head to the building right across from the bike rentals that are to the right of the bus stop and head up the first set of stairs You see and go up to the second floor. There you will see doors with no numbers, only the DVC logo on them, there should be someone there, but not to pressure you, just to answer some basic question You may have. You will really enjoy the trip and get to see some of the better points of joining the DVC.
    Ok, by now, We were hearing grumbling from our bellies, and decided to try out SSR's resturaunt called the turf club. as You head over towards the food court, you stay to the left and will see the entrance to the Turf Club. At first, you pass through a Pool room, and a seating area, then at the end to the right, will be the reception desk to check in. We had no reservation, just walked up and got seated right away, inside the resturaunt was pretty empty at this time. (5:30ish). This did not go so well for Us though. First while waiting for the waiter, We noticed a smell by our table that seemed like the smell of potting soil, not too pleasant, then we were hit with the smell of what I can only describe as "BIG SMELLY FEET". that was horrible. We were so hungry that We actually stayed even with the toe cheese aroma floating through the air. ahhhhhhh.
    Debbie has a limited menu herself so, it was tough finding anything on the menu for her. I ordered a steak with potatoes, and she was able to convince them to pry something from the childrens menu at an adults portion, wow, what a mistake that was! They charged Us over $16.00 for what amounted to Macaroni and meat sauce, which she did not complete. We ended up taking the rest with Us, being that the room had a microwave and fridge, but this was a lesson for Us, that We will never be going there again. I think a trip to DD would be our best course of action next time. Maybe that is why it is not too crowded in there. I may have not been told this little tidbit of Info.
    After this interesting Dinner trip, We headed back to the room about 6:45 or so, and just watched tv before heading to bed. I think that expense and experience just took alot out of Us!
    Once again, by midnight, we were sound asleep.
    I will continue with the last 3 days tomorrow!

PS: We took photos of the fence around the old Who wants to be a millionaire. They have the whole face of the building torn off of it and a Light tan fence up to hide most of the work.

OK, Day 4 out of 6:

Today was a very slow starting day. We did not head out to breakfast until 9:20, which consisted of a trip over to DTD and a walk to McDonalds for a cheap breakfast. We had a coupon from the manager for a free meal that we had gotten the other day when they forgot to give us the DVC member discount on our meal, so We went over there and sat in the front by the window to watch the guests walking by. Making sure that I got a large coffee to get jump started. (note to my self, Tell The resort that the bed is too comfortable, I can't wake up in the morning) LOL
    Heading to a park from here is not the quickest, they don't have direct buses to the parks from DTD. I thought they did at one time, HMMM must be losing My mind. What We decided to do, as per the bus drivers suggestion, was wait for a OKW bus to come and sit at the resort bus stop for the Epcot bus to come. The wait for both buses was not long, We were headed to Epcot by 10:45
    We were in Epcot by 11:00 and decided to hunt for our leave a legacy wall section that We had gotten on our first anniversary trip back in april of 05. Once again, my memory failed me an we could not find it. We walked over to the counter where they sell them and it was way too busy, meaning not enough cast members for the amount of people on line, so we decided that we could check late.
    We were drawn to Spaceship Earth, as we usually are, and that was a no brainer with there being only about 10 people on line in front of us. We need this rides rest after that long grueling search for our photos on the wall. LOL. The ride was as usual, relaxing and comfy, so You can see that we do not need thrill rides to make Us happy, only being in the parks is all we need. :-)
    After this, we walked towards the fountain and made a quick trip into Inoventions to send a photo postcard via email to our families. This has become our tradition. It only takes a few mins. and gives us a laugh each time when We see the photo that is being sent along with the card.
    Ok, back to the fountain, which I bring up only because it dawned on Me that they planted palm trees and other plants along the front of the fountain where You would stand and watch the water show with the music. I am not certain if the music show had stopped, but within a few years these trees will hamper that view. I took a photo of the trees to see over the years how much growth they make.
    Alrighty, now to get some use of those before mentioned Super fastpasses, first stop was Soarin. The passes really cut a 1 hr. wait down to about 10 mins. As usual, that ride is fantastic, just worth the trouble to get a regular fastpass and take the flight! From there, over to Test Track. Debbie sat this one out, (a little rough for Her) Fast pass really was not needed here, if I went on the single rider line, I would have gotten to the front faster. There was not one rider on that line. In about 5-10 mins. I was sitting and cruising around Test Track. Lots of fun, especially when We were going 65 miles an hr. outside in the very cool weather! Water was in My eyes, and NO I was not crying like a baby out of fear. HA HA.
    A quick walk on to the Mission to Mars attraction was next. Debbie sat this one out as well. Reason being, that the last time We did this ride, She got very ill and we ended going back to our resort. I must admit, that I was not feeling so great as well. But I had read that they had made a less intense version where the room does not spin, so I was going to brave, and believe what I read. I believe they call it the Green side. As reported, a much more tame ride, and unless You get a little motion sickness from simulators, it was fun. You just watch the monitor in front of You and push buttons when you are instructed to. It was a quick, fun ride!
    Being that I had finished all the stomach sickness causing rides in one swoop, We then headed over to the Electric Umbrella for some fastfood lunch. It was about 1:30pm when We had our chow.
    As You have read before, I am a Pin aholic, and our first stop at about 2:15pm was Shopping at Mouse Gear. I was pretty good, (Not really) and We kept it short and sweet. By the way, Debbie even shopped here as well. LOL
    You can tell we go here alot because that was the extent of our fun on this side of Epcot. From there we strolled over to the World Showcase.
    What We did over here was just people watch and walk along past each pavillion, stopping along the way if there was a show going on out front. Which there was. So watching and taking photos aside, we continued along past France, and over the bridge to Great Britain pavillion. This was the most crowded spot in Epcot, there must have been something for free that nobody was telling Us about. LOL. We ended up our tour of World showcase with a quick stop at the Icecream stand in front of Canada Pavillion. What were We thinking? It was cold and windy that day and here We were sitting on the benches eating this way too cold and way too large frozen Yogurt with Nestle crunch in it. MMMM Nestle Crunch. Oh, sorry, I had a Homer Simpson moment there.
    After We thawed out, we got our butts on the bus back to the Resort. It was about 4:25pm and We did not have the desire to wait for 5 hrs. for the fireworks show to start. BBRRRRRRR
    The bus came quickly, a sidenote here about the buses. ( The Saratoga Springs bus seems to be one of the 3-4 closest bus stops in all the park bus depots, making it a short walk to the bus) and if You have been to epcot and have stayed at the value resorts, this makes for a much shorter walk after walking all day at the park.
    After hanging at the room for a while, ( Do you notice a theme here about the amount of time We spend at the resort rooms?) Just so comfy and roomy that we do not mind being "Home" in our rooms.
    Just to be different, We walked to the Artists Palette and just picked up some sandwhiches from the Dry good section of the store and took them and some chips back to the room and just relaxed with a little TV.
    That just about sums up day 4 from here. I will give Day 5 later on tonight. It is now time to have lunch. Debbie is cooking up some warm sandwhiches to take the chill off of our 18Degree days here in Jersey. BRRRRRRR
    Till later. Enjoy

First Timer is offline I saw the Mouse now I want to go back!
    i'm loving the report keep it coming!!
    Loni

First Trip- Jan. 07, POFQ
    Second Trip- May 08, Pop Century

Thank You so much, it is like getting to live it again, glad You like it.
    Will do more later tonight.

NORMNB8S is offline And they call him Sandy Claws
    I'm enjoying it too. You get to live it again, and I get to live it vicariously through you!
    Engaged to a wonderful woman on 12-12-08 at the Magic Kingdom!

Pop Century - August 2005
    Caribbean Beach - December 2008

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast