Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Trip Reports & Member Reviews Discuss Jenn's April Trip Report in the Vacation Planning forums; Day 1 - Pop Century Sunday, April 15th, 2007 @ 11:00am My wonderful husband packed up the car the night before so all we had to do was load Aaron ...
    BamaJenn is offline Disnerd

Talking Jenn's April Trip Report

Day 1 - Pop Century
    Sunday, April 15th, 2007 @ 11:00am

My wonderful husband packed up the car the night before so all we had to do was load Aaron and his diaper bag and we'd be ready to go. The trip normally takes us anywhere from 2-3 hours so we figured since check-in technically doesn't start until 3:00, 11:00 would be a good time to leave. We made a quick stop to fill the gas tank and off we went...

We arrived at Pop Century around 2:00 and my first thought was... "Dead season my butt!!" I didn't grab a shot of it but the lobby was packed. We waited for about 30 minutes in line to check in. I was really shocked. I thought for sure it'd be a slow check-in day but the place was packed. The line was handled well though and about 15 minutes into our wait they added probably 4 cast members to the check-in area to help out. When we got to the desk we were told our room was clean and ready for us... Building 3 (Tramp - 50's), Floor 3, Room 3359. I should've played 3s in the lottery this week!

Anyone who knows me well knows that one of my favorite words is "Groovy". I say it all the time... so much so that I had it engraved on my iPod. So having this as the view out of our room was just perfect...

I was surprised that the rooms themselves weren't themed more. After my last stay being at ASMo I expect some sort of cute light fixtures at least, but alas all we really had was a poster, a cute wallpaper border and some themed bed covers. It was nice and clean though and even though it was only slight, the layout was much better than that of the room we had at ASMo (the beds were shifted to the left more at ASMo and my son could stand on them and reach the poster, here they were shifted that same distance but toward the door).

My wonderful husband did manage to catch the "Hidden Mickeys" in the wallpaper though...

When we arrived it was incredibly windy and very chilly. The wind was so strong that it was causing noise in the bathroom vent and the front door occasionally made what can only be described as a farting noise. We knew it was just because of the wind though so it was no big deal. The only real complaint I had about the room was the faucet. For about 30 seconds after you turned it on, the thing made this horribly loud squeaky/squalky noise. This made rinsing out bottles in the middle of the night after Aaron had woken up hungry and finally fallen back to sleep an absolute JOY! It wasn't just us though. Throughout the night I heard the other rooms around us squeaking just the same.

After letting Aaron crawl around a bit we decided to go ahead and do our "rounds" at the resort. This started with walking around the corner of our building to get a better (and higher) look at the future Pop Century Legendary Years resort area... or it's sad beginnings and idleness. I know a lot of rumors are floating around that Disney has changed their mind on these plans and is going to instead create another military retreat resort, but the initial theming of the check-in building no doubt says what was at least planned. I have no idea if the rumors are true or not but I'd love to see this become what it was meant to.

As we rounded the corner to head back over to the elevators and make our trek around the property, off in the distance I noticed something rather familiar. Is that? Yes... it is! It's the Epcot ball! Wow, I had no idea we were so close to Epcot!

It absolutely cracked me up to see that even the Coke machines were decked out for the celebration this year... gotta love it! True merchandising at it's finest!

Here's some random shots around the property. We took a lot more but why bore you all with scenery you've probably seen 100 times right?

When we came around the corner and saw this sign, my first thought was that the bridge was built but unthemed and blocked off. My husband found it funny that there was no arrow pointing out which direction the bridge was in, only a blank spot saying "Generation Gap Bridge". Like they thought people wouldn't figure it out maybe? LOL!

It was once we made our way to the bridge that I realized how wrong I was. Not only was the bridge open but it was fully themed with each decade from the future Legendary Years project, beautifully landscaped and had cute little seats along the way. I just can't see them not continuing on with this theme.

I had no idea just how barren and blank the buildings that had been raised were left. Just ugly little brown shells of nothingness. I could feel their pain as they looked across the river at the other brightly colored and themed buildings of Classic Years. You could almost hear them crying. So sad.

Until we got to this point I had no idea that absolutely none of the landscaping or lot work had begun (you'd think I would've noticed that from 3 floors up wouldn't you?). This just looks so pitiful. Do something with this space already!!

Everything was so brightly colored, this mess of a yo yo just stood out like a sore thumb. I know they were probably prepping it for paint but how sad this little yo yo looked.

I swear I thought my husband was going to ask me to take his picture on the hood of this car... I'm glad he didn't.

Twister Anyone??

I loved this big wheel! I kept begging my husband to keep watch as I climbed up into the seat for a picture. He refused and I was alas left to only ponder the idea and long for my old big wheel I had as a kid. I swear it was this exact one... only a LOT smaller.

I have a thing for Mr. Potato Head. I'm one of those crazy people who collects all the parts they sell in the bins at the Toy store in Downtown Disney. So, when I saw Mr. & Mrs. Head standing here... I just had to ask my husband to take a picture.

Though it was still windy, the sun was out and it wasn't quite as cold as it had been when we arrived. I wanted so badly to take Aaron for a swim, even if only to bob around for 30 seconds for pictures and then return to the room. My husband kept telling me it'd be too cold but I had to do it... I had to take the chance. So, after a quick stop back at the room to change into our suits, Aaron and I made our way down to the pool (daddy followed with the camera but can't swim so he could only watch). What was a total shock was the fact that the water was like bath water. It was sooooo warm. I wanted to stay in it all day.

Last edited by BamaJenn; 08-30-2011 at 10:29 AM.
    Sometimes all you need is a reminder that out there lies a better place... a better world... a Walt Disney World.
    Visited In: 1983, 1988, 1989 x2, 1991, 1992, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 (passholder), 2007 (x2 x3), 2008, 2009 (x2), 2010, 2011 (x2)
    “Detail is there to make you believe in the reality of the story you’re immersed in.” - Joe Rohde
    Avatar Image Used with Permission from °O°Joe

BamaJenn is offline Disnerd
    Sometimes all you need is a reminder that out there lies a better place... a better world... a Walt Disney World.
    Visited In: 1983, 1988, 1989 x2, 1991, 1992, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 (passholder), 2007 (x2 x3), 2008, 2009 (x2), 2010, 2011 (x2)
    “Detail is there to make you believe in the reality of the story you’re immersed in.” - Joe Rohde
    Avatar Image Used with Permission from °O°Joe

trickster is offline Hakuna Matata!!... It means no worries!!
    Jenn - Super read and great photos!!

Now I'm off to read part 2!!
    Rich

"Most of my life I have done what I wanted to do. I have had fun on the job.
    I have never been able to confine that fun to office hours." ~ Walt Disney

Love it Jenn! Welcome home!!!

Chrissy&Tayen is offline counting down to my vacation
    AWESOME REPORT SO FAR!!!! i cant wait until i'm posting mine!
    All Star Sports July 2006
    All Star Movies October 2007
    Coronado Spring February 2010
    Pop Century October 2010
    All Star Movies September 2011
    Pop Century September 2012
    Chrissy

fungus_01 is offline Premium Annual Passholder
    Awesome! I'm so looking forward to staying at Pop on my next trip. I'm off to read part #2!

*2006 Off site*2007 Pop*2008 Off site*2009 Pop/POR*2010 June Pop*Oct Pop*Dec Pop*2011 Dec CB Pirate Room*2012 Nov Disney Dream*Dec Pop*2013 Feb Pop*March The Swan*​Dec Pop*2014 Oct Disney Fantasy

Jiminy Cricket is offline Ultimate Park "Hopper"
    1,015; 2 miles from WDW in Central Indiana; Windermere FL
    Grrreat report and pics!!!
    Lord High Keeper of the Knowledge of Right and Wrong, Counselor in Moments of Temptation, and Guide along the Straight and Narrow Path and Oldest Active DWT/WDW Radio Member

DL: 1955* (1); WDW: 1977* (2), 1980* (2), 1985* (3), 1989* (3), 1996 (ASMu-3), 1999 (ASMo-3), 2000 (ASMu-2/PO-2), 2001 (ASMu-5), 2002 (ASMu-5), 2003 (ASMo-5), 2004* (8), 2004 (ASMo-8), 2005 (PC-10), 2006* (15), 2007* (20), 2008* (22), 2009* (26), 2010* (27), 2011* (32), 2012* (39), 2013* (36), 2013* (15), 2013* (9), 2013* (13), 2014* (40) Total Trips/Days = 26/353

*Off Property