Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Trip Reports & Member Reviews Discuss Jenn's April Trip Report Part 2 in the Vacation Planning forums; DAY 2 - Magic Kingdom Monday, April 16th, 2007 - 7:30am Aaron sat at the table and had donuts with daddy. Too cute for words. Then we were off to ...
    BamaJenn is offline Disnerd

Talking Jenn's April Trip Report Part 2

DAY 2 - Magic Kingdom
    Monday, April 16th, 2007 - 7:30am

Aaron sat at the table and had donuts with daddy. Too cute for words.

Then we were off to the Magic Kingdom. Of course we had to be co-pilots again! Duh! It was so funny to see all the dirty looks we got as we strolled past the hoards of people crowding in front of the little entrance gates and walked to the mini-queue to sit up front. "Can we be co-pilots?" I asked as we passed a rather scary looking cast member. I swear if this guy had auditioned to be the bad terminator in the 2nd movie, he'd have gotten the part. He was just creepy looking. Anyway, of course we were allowed as long as we folded up the stroller. Everyone just looked at us with the most evil looks... which I'll never understand... all you have to do is ask. Not my fault they didn't.

For the first time since I was maybe 5 years old, I caught the opening ceremony at the Magic Kingdom... ok we caught the last 5 minutes of it... but we got to see them call for the train and see it come down the tracks with all the characters. I was nearly in tears. It was so cool to be there for the opening!

Today was even colder than yesterday (note everyone in jackets and shorts... cracks me up). Of course my husband and I remembered to pack a sweatshirt for Aaron... but not us. So... stop #1 upon entering the park was the Emporium for $50 sweatshirts.

I have to share this story... we go in the main room, the side closest to the entrance, and head toward the back where we see some sweatshirts. On a rack I see about 10 red character shirts and amongst them a single white one. I pick it out and absolutely love it. It's a black and white photo of Walt on Main Street with a colorful Mickey added in standing beside him. "Ok this is the one I want... but it's an XXL... where are the rest? I need a smaller size." After wandering in circles for a few minutes I find a cast member and ask. "I'm not sure, I've never seen that one before, they are probably at the other end of the store in the adult apparel section." So we made our way through what, 5 stores, and ended in the Adult apparel area to find no other sweatshirts like the one in my hand. Just as I'm getting ready to tell my husband that I'll just go with this big one because I'm sure it'll shrink, a woman walks up to me and asks where I got it. I explain that I found it at the other end of the store but came to this end looking for other sizes. "Can I borrow it to go show someone?" I stood with my mouth agape for what felt like 5 minutes but I'm sure was maybe 5 seconds, thinking "I just told you it's the last one, you want it, and you think I'm going to give it to you to walk away with?" I'm sorry, I'm a trusting person but no... I think not. Needless to say, I left with an XXL (down to almost my knees) sweatshirt and loved it. My husband got the obligatory GRUMPY sweatshirt (spelled out on the front, big Grumpy appliqué on the back).

What I forgot to mention in this story was that the same cast member who sent me 5 "stores" away also apparently hasn't worked for WDW very long. After asking about the sweatshirt, I asked "Can you tell me where the Barber Shop is?" He said 3 times... "Barber Shop?" with my response being "Yes" each time. He finally said "There's no active Barber Shop on mainstreet. I think you're mistaken. Maybe your friends were at Disneyland's Main Street when they had their children's hair cut?". Doofus. Of course the woman who checked us out at the other end knew exactly what I was talking about and pointed us where we needed to go.

Time for Aaron's first hair cut! This lady, Penny, was awesome. After waiting about 20 minutes in line, we plopped him into the chair. At first he was a little skiddish but she was fantastic with him.

When we went to pay Penny for her efforts we learned the credit card machine was setup like merchandise and not a restaurant so we couldn't leave a tip. We told Penny that we would hit an ATM and come back to see her. She said she'd be there until 5:00. We thanked her again and made our way out. Poor Penny had this look on her face that said it all. "Everyone says that and no one ever does." is what she was thinking... I'm sure of it.

Then it was off to Tomorrowland where I was excited to see the MILF (*giggle*) open!

A very polite cast member at the front allowed me to come in and stand to the side of the queue area while I waited for Bill to put the stroller in Tomorrowland stroller parking. When he returned, we thanked her and began taking pictures inside the queue (no flash of course). Then we headed into the cramming room... yes that's what I call that room in every attraction like this. The place where a neat line turns into a mass of people who slowly push themselves toward the front, nearly trampling the children in their path. Anyway, as we entered the cramming room, my husband spun around to take a picture of the vending machine around the corner. It was of course our intent to grab some shots of the queue area to share here for everyone that hasn't gotten to see it yet. So... *snap* (no flash)...

"NO PHOTOGRAPHY" a gruff, young cast member yelled from beside him as if we had walked past 10 signs that said this and heard an announcement stating it as well. Now... I understand no flash photography... I even understand no video taping... but no non-flash photography of the queue area? I don't get it. Note to that cast member... your tone was unacceptable and if I was your mother I'd slap that tone right out of your lips. I don't mind being reminded of rules... reminded being the keyword there (there were no previous "minders" to be "reminded of however) but certainly not the way you yelled it at us. Dork... he nearly made me say something a mommy shouldn't say in front of her children.

Anyway... I was actually very pleasantly surprised by this attraction! I cracked up throughout it! My only comment is that they need to make room in the non-live portion of the animation at the beginning, the conversation between Roz and Mike, for laughter. There were so many times one or the other would comment and the laughter of the audience would be louder then the next line and it was missed. Anyway, I thought it was a really cute show and was very happy to see it wasn't too long. The length was just enough to keep Aaron interested and not get bored and start to scream. It was fun! Now if they could just fix that acronym...

So after the Laugh Floor we had to run to change Aaron who had a squishy diaper... then we hit our favorite Tomorrowland attraction... the TTA. We were going to hit Buzz because my son loved it so much last time but the wait was near an hour... the park was packed!

The rest of our day was spent sort of lazily wandering, doing things we hadn't done before with Aaron. We hit Peter Pan's Flight but after 45 minutes in line Aaron had fallen asleep just as we reached the end of the queue... isn't that always the way. So he rode it, asleep in my arms... but he rode it! After PPF we headed over to the Haunted Mansion but upon seeing another 45 minute wait and realizing it was nearing our Crystal Palace reservation time of 12:45pm, we decided to instead take a little walk back toward Main Street.

I'm always looking for new angles on "common" pictures. I was rather pleased with this shot...

Would you believe I've never noticed this wishing well before?

12:35pm: Let's go ahead and check-in at the Crystal Palace for lunch. There's a bit of a line for the check-in so it should be perfect timing.

What do you mean you show our reservations were for 11:45am? We requested 11:00 and were told by the reservation agent that the earliest they had was 12:45. When I begged for something before Noon I was told "Sorry, this is the earliest we have." Ok... we'll take it... No no, I'm not letting you tell me we're an hour late. Look, here, on this piece of paper where I wrote the reservation number, see below it where it says what time and date? I wrote that when the guy read it back to me during the reservation confirmation. Sorry, I'm not leaving until you tell me you'll fix this mess. (I was angry can you tell?)

Needless to say the lady handed us a pager and told us to wait at the front of the doors with everyone until it was our turn. I just knew we were going to end up standing there for an hour watching everyone go in before us. My husband had to walk away he was so irritated. I should mention that this is the 2nd time we had problems like this so he was really not in the mood.

What was a pleasant surprise however was that we were the next pager to go off and be seated. Evil feelings gone... good feelings returned. Ready Aaron? Argh!! He's still asleep...

After almost 2 hours asleep, my husband couldn't stand it any longer that Aaron was missing everything so he woke him up. See, this was why we asked for 11:00 reservations... Aaron takes a nap from 12:00-2:00 every day. Oh well... at least we got him up in time to see Eeore.

After lunch we headed through the castle and back into Fantasyland to hit Cinderella's Carousel... which had nearly no wait (I think we waited maybe 2 minutes). Aaron hadn't rode this last trip so we wanted to see how he liked it. At first he was a little unsure but as the ride continued on he certainly started to enjoy himself!

Then it was time to get the obligatory "sword from the stone" shot... now... I know there is a way to pull this up. I've read the trick somewhere. Could I remember what it was? NOOOOO!

After wandering a little bit more we headed over to the Tiki Room... another attraction Aaron missed on the last trip. He loved it!!

After the Tiki Room we jumped onto the Magic Carpets of Aladdin which was yet another new experience for Aaron. There was absolutely no wait for this ride either so we hopped right on. Aaron had a blast!

We made our way back through Adventureland to the bathroom ride then over to Frontierland. The Haunted Mansion still had an insane wait time and the Country Bears had just started so there was also a wait there. We decided to get a turkey leg, a mickey on a stick, and call it a day. We parked the stroller in a little alcove across from the DVC building and relax a bit in the shade. I got a great shot of the Haunted Mansion from this spot.

I just wanted my ice cream so daddy and Aaron shared the turkey leg. Aaron loves these things by the way... he is SOOO my son!

On our way out we stopped at an ATM and grabbed a $20 bill. We headed back into the Barber Shop to see Penny. My husband walked up to her while she was cutting another head of hair and said "You cut my son's hair this morning, gave him his first hair cut. We told you we'd be back." He then placed the $20 on her workstation and said, "Thank you, it meant the world to us." I swear to you... I thought Penny was going to cry. You could see in her eyes that no, people never did come back when they said they would... let alone to leave a $20 tip for a $14 hair cut. It was a fantastic ending to our day!
    Last edited by BamaJenn; 08-30-2011 at 10:31 AM.
    Sometimes all you need is a reminder that out there lies a better place... a better world... a Walt Disney World.
    Visited In: 1983, 1988, 1989 x2, 1991, 1992, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 (passholder), 2007 (x2 x3), 2008, 2009 (x2), 2010, 2011 (x2)
    “Detail is there to make you believe in the reality of the story you’re immersed in.” - Joe Rohde
    Avatar Image Used with Permission from °O°Joe

Sometimes all you need is a reminder that out there lies a better place... a better world... a Walt Disney World.
    Visited In: 1983, 1988, 1989 x2, 1991, 1992, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 (passholder), 2007 (x2 x3), 2008, 2009 (x2), 2010, 2011 (x2)
    “Detail is there to make you believe in the reality of the story you’re immersed in.” - Joe Rohde

trickster is offline Hakuna Matata!!... It means no worries!!
    Great Jenn - Just great!!

What an execellent rea and I'm glad you all had so much fun!!
    Rich

"Most of my life I have done what I wanted to do. I have had fun on the job.
    I have never been able to confine that fun to office hours." ~ Walt Disney

Too cute!

Chrissy&Tayen is offline counting down to my vacation
    that was too cool adnd i but you made that womans week.. !!!

did you see any lil girls in the barber shop?
    All Star Sports July 2006
    All Star Movies October 2007
    Coronado Spring February 2010
    Pop Century October 2010
    All Star Movies September 2011
    Pop Century September 2012
    Chrissy

corkins441 is offline A-Ticket holder
    What a great trip review Jenn. Loved it.
    Just one little thing.... only "Family" will get this.... Don't you think that Mrs. Potato Head looks like "PEARL"?????
    ---------------------------
    *Marilee

" IMAGINATION IS MORE IMPORTANT THAN KNOWLEDGE, WHILST KNOWLEDGE POINTS TO ALL THERE IS, IMAGINATION POINTS TO ALL THERE COULD BE." Albert Einstein

JEDIPRINCESS is offline I'm going back to the World YAHOO
    Great report Jen keep it coming.

YES I"M GOING BACK AGAIN FOR HALLOWEEN

mini-V is offline Home at last near Mickey!
    What a great way to end the day; making someone else's day special. Penny may keep that $20 stashed in her wallet for a rainy day.
    mini-V What will you celebrate?

Adult daycare for the kid inside you.

fungus_01 is offline Premium Annual Passholder
    Another great report. I can't wait to read more!

*2006 Off site*2007 Pop*2008 Off site*2009 Pop/POR*2010 June Pop*Oct Pop*Dec Pop*2011 Dec CB Pirate Room*2012 Nov Disney Dream*Dec Pop*2013 Feb Pop*March The Swan*​Dec Pop*2014 Oct Disney Fantasy

vixen101485 is offline Queen of the Swaps, bow before me
    Loving it so far Jenn. Cant wait to read the rest and the Donut Pic is absolutely the best of them all. TOOOO CUTE!

Chrissy look in my photo gallery for pics of my DD at age 2 1/2 for her first official haircut.
    It's a Disney thing. If you understood, your only question would be "can I go?"

TRICK OR TREAT FOR UNICEF
    FOR MORE INFO CLICK THIS LINK http://inside.unicefusa.org/goto/Meghyn

Quote Originally Posted by corkins441 View Post
    What a great trip review Jenn. Loved it.
    Just one little thing.... only "Family" will get this.... Don't you think that Mrs. Potato Head looks like "PEARL"?????
    LOL!! Mom you're baaaad! But it's true... Man... that's funny!

Quote Originally Posted by vixen101485 View Post
    Loving it so far Jenn. Cant wait to read the rest and the Donut Pic is absolutely the best of them all. TOOOO CUTE!
    Well that's it... was just a day trip so no more! LOL!

Jiminy Cricket is offline Ultimate Park "Hopper"
    1,015 miles from WDW in Central Indiana; Windermere FL
    Adorable pics!!!
    Lord High Keeper of the Knowledge of Right and Wrong, Counselor in Moments of Temptation, and Guide along the Straight and Narrow Path and Oldest Active DWT/WDW Radio Member

DL: 1955* (1); WDW: 1977* (2), 1980* (2), 1985* (3), 1989* (3), 1996 (ASMu-3), 1999 (ASMo-3), 2000 (ASMu-2/PO-2), 2001 (ASMu-5), 2002 (ASMu-5), 2003 (ASMo-5), 2004* (8), 2004 (ASMo-8), 2005 (PC-10), 2006* (15), 2007* (20), 2008* (22), 2009* (26), 2010* (27), 2011* (32), 2012* (39), 2013* (36), 2013* (15), 2013* (9), 2013* (13), 2014* (40) Total Trips/Days = 26/353

*Off Property