Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Trip Reports & Member Reviews Discuss Mini-V's April report in the Vacation Planning forums; My dd had to work again today, but she encouraged me to take off for the parks on my own. So with a ticket in hand I took off for ...
    mini-V is offline Home at last near Mickey!

Mini-V's April report

My dd had to work again today, but she encouraged me to take off for the parks on my own. So with a ticket in hand I took off for Animal Kingdom. I'm sure going solo isn't the ideal way to go to the parks all the time, but it was my first solo trip and I LOVED it! No one else of whom to keep track. No one else to consult for what to do next or where to eat, and no one to roll their eyes at me when I start talking to complete strangers in the que.

I arrived around 10:00 am, and went directly to Expedition Everest, taking various pictures of scenery along the way. The wait was 30 minutes, and since I'd not seen the full que display, I skipped getting a fast pass. The wait ended up being much closer to 60 minutes, but my time was my own and the day was young. I enjoyed my second expedition even more the first just because I knew what to anticipate.

After EE, I went to check out Nemo the musical, but found that I'd just missed one show and had about 90 minutes to wait till the next. I took in Primeval Whirl and Dinosaur before getting into the que for Nemo. Nemo the musical is super! I highly recommend it. Be prepared to have to wait in line for 45 minute or more to make sure you get in. Because the cast is so select, the number of performances is limited. Once you get inside, you don't need to be right down front. In fact, since some of the performers come from the back of the room, being toward the back may be preferred. (My funny moment at Nemo was when a husband and wife sat down next to me and asked if I'd be screaming during the program. I assured them that I thought I would be able to contain myself, but if they were going to ride EE with me, I'd not be able to make the same promise. Apparently they opted to move next to me after someone was screaming right by them. I assumed it was a child, but we didn't go into details.)

After a quick bit to eat, I headed to Kilimanjaro Safari. I was grateful to have a fast pass because the wait was really long. There were lots of animals in clear sight and many very close to our vehicle. I didn't see the baby rhino, but the baby elephant and baby giraffe were out. I even got to sit right behind the driver for the very first time. (Another first for my first solo trip.)

I didn't hang out at Raftiki's, but I took the train ride out and back. At one point on the train, I thought someone was going to comment on my DWT tag, but the woman who saw it, just read it and didn't say anything. I thought I'd missed the parade by taking the train ride, but as it turned out, I caught it as it made a second trip around AK. The battery in my camera was running low, so I didn't take as many pictures as I would have liked, I did manage a few good shots and of course a shot of Mickey at the end.

I made my way over to Flights of Wonder, a show I'd never taken time to see before. I walked right in about 5 minutes before it started. I enjoyed watching the birds swoop just above the heads of the audience, and was fascinated by the techniques that were used to cue the birds.

I had a choice at this point to go back to Asia and try to ride Kali, or see if Mickey was available in the meet and greet area. It was getting to be 5:00 and the park was only going to be open for another hour. So, I went into quick mode, and headed to Camp Minnie Mickey. My good luck wasn't holding and I found that the greeting area was close. Back into quick mode, and I scurried back to Asia to see what my chances were for another trip on EE or Kali. I managed to make both!

With a stop for a Mickey ice cream bar on the way out, I felt like I'd had the best day possible. The weather was warm and sunny, but not enough to drain your energy. I talked to many guests while waiting, which my family hates. I got to stay as long as I wanted...well till they closed the park. I rode Kali, which my family is never inclined to do. (I'm thinking they are feel connected to the Wicked Witch of Oz, but I have no other traits to prove this.) AND I don't seem to have gotten sunburned!
    Last edited by mini-V; 05-08-2007 at 04:58 PM. Reason: spell check
    mini-V What will you celebrate?

Adult daycare for the kid inside you.

fungus_01 is offline Premium Annual Passholder
    Yeah for you! Sounds like you had an awesome time! So do we get to see pictures?

*2006 Off site*2007 Pop*2008 Off site*2009 Pop/POR*2010 June Pop*Oct Pop*Dec Pop*2011 Dec CB Pirate Room*2012 Nov Disney Dream*Dec Pop*2013 Feb Pop*March The Swan*​Dec Pop*2014 Oct Disney Fantasy

MayBWeRMnt2B is offline living happily ever after...
    Yay! Sounds like an absolutely amazing trip! I'm glad you had a great time!
    - Jeanne

Engaged at Sunset Point - July 17th, 2008
    Married at Sunset Point - March 3, 2009
    Disney World & Disneyland Honeymoon

Aulani - September 2011

Wishes can come true, if you believe in them with all your heart.
    And the best part is, you'll never run out of wishes.
    They're shining deep down inside of you.
    'Cause that my friends is where the magic lives

That's great Virginia! Sounds like you had a wonderful day! Be sure to keep us posted on your next day trip to the World! Can't wait for you to share your photo's on the Disney photo a day thread!

Chrissy&Tayen is offline counting down to my vacation
    AWESOME... i'm like you i love to chat at people...LOL

oh and where do you get the tickers that count days not months?
    All Star Sports July 2006
    All Star Movies October 2007
    Coronado Spring February 2010
    Pop Century October 2010
    All Star Movies September 2011
    Pop Century September 2012
    Chrissy

I'm not sure if I'll get to post pics till I get home only because I don't want to mess up my dd computer with my pics. My favorite is one that one of the cm photographer's took for me.
    Last edited by mini-V; 04-23-2007 at 05:41 PM. Reason: add pic

Tinker Bell is offline DisneyWorldTrivia.com Lifetime Pass
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrissy&Tayen View Post
    oh and where do you get the tickers that count days not months?
    Right here:
    http://www.v50.net/cdgenerator.php

ChipNDale is offline Yeah, my Rubber Duck wears a Tiara FCOL!
    Great trip report so far V!
    WHAFTFCOL now who wants a cookie!?!
    Copy Right of S&B LLC.
    SITTM... We have an App for that!

Yeah, I like Ninja Rubber Duckies FCOL!

butlers is offline Lost in Tenderness!!!!!!
    Just around the riverbend over the cobblestone corner of the high arched castle
    So glad you had an awesome time V....and lovely trip report
    April 23rd, oh yeah it's gonna be ON!

I had my second chance to get to Disney World yesterday. Granted, going to Downtown Disney isn't exactly like going to a park, but it still gets me on property.

My dd had given me a movie pass, so I used it to see Meet the Robinsons. There were barely a dozen people in the theatre and I had the theatre to myself till just before the movie started. I loved seeing the old Donald Duck cartoon. I think I'd seen it before, but maybe not in 3D.

I liked Meet the Robinsons, but I wouldn't recommend it for very young children. I thought it too loud and fast paced for anyone under 9 years of age. The whole time travel thing might not make a lot of sense to them either. I liked the plot. The characters were believable and the animation was well suited to the futuristic theme.

After the movie, I headed for The World of Disney Store. I found the black Mickey Mouse earrings that I had on my shopping list, and bought a set of Mickey Mouse dice. The store no longer carries CD holders so I wasn't able to cross that off my list. After only a brief tour of the store, I did add a few things to my wish list. At this point I figured that it would be prudent to leave the store while I still had a few bucks in my wallet. (I still have another week here, anyway.)

I'm hoping to get to Magic Kingdom next week, and maybe dinner at Epcot before I have to leave
    Last edited by mini-V; 05-08-2007 at 04:49 PM.

Magic Kingdom

In a bizarre turn of events, I got a chance to go to Magic Kingdom last night and take advantage of extra magic hours. It all happened so fast, that I was in the park before I could comprehend that I was going. My second bonus for the evening was free parking. I didn't know till I drove up to the ticket booth that parking is free by 8:30 PM. Cool!

Since I had no one to consult, I opted to ask to ride in the front of the monorail. Yahoo! Another first for this trip. I shared the cab with two young girls and their mom who were seasoned veterans of the front car.

I entered Magic Kingdom at 8:45 PM. The crowds were already gathered for the 9:00 PM parade, but my first order of business was to meet some friends to get my wristband. Wouldn't you know my friends were in Frontierland! Moving into over-drive, I slipped into stealth mode to scurry through shops and backstreets to avoid the parade crowds and work my way through Tommorrowland and Fantasyland. At least the crowds were light through those areas, but it's still the long way around.

After securing my wristband for extra Magic hours, I opted to visit Haunted Mansion since I was right there. The ride had apparently been down earlier, but was back on track with a 10 minutes wait. It's a bit spookier going solo. I'm not sure I'll do that again.

With hunger pains starting to tickle my tummy, I opted for a chocolate dole whip and stood near the tree house to watch the highest and best of the fireworks.

I've been told that riding the Jungle Cruise at night is worth the time, so I decided to take advantage of my location to do so. I arrived just in time to get onto the next boat. Our guide talked so fast that he barely gave you time to think about all the corny jokes he was tossing out. His timing needed work, but I had to appreciate his efforts. It's been a long time since I been on the Jungle Cruise, so I was really surprised with the final scene through the temple. Sometimes getting old and forgetting things is good; you get little surprises along the way.

I was certain that Jack Sparrow would not be out entertaining the guests, and I was correct. Something to look forward to on the ext daytime visit. I still had a fun trip on POTC, and seeing how life-like Jack Sparrow is in the new scenes still rather spooks me out. (I can only imagine how Johnny Depp feels.)

The crowds were really thinning out by this time, so I decided to head back around through the other side of Frontierland and try to catch the Laugh Floor. for some reason, Fantasyland was a happen'n place. Outside of the parade route, the thickest crowds were in this area. In route, I saw that there was only a 15 minute wait for The Country Bear Jamboree. If I've ever seen this show, I don't remember. Those who have and truly like it, my apologies for the next statement. I nearly walked out in the middle. My lack of interest in country music drained any interest I had in the program. Been there. Done that. Check.

I arrived at the Laugh Floor with a 10 minute wait. There were hardly any people in the waiting area when I arrived, but when the doors opened, the waiting area was full. We didn't fill the auditorium, but there was a good crowd. The majority of guests seemed to get into the spirit of the program, and it was a pretty good show. My mind went blank for silly riddles or jokes so I wasn't able to participate in texting one. This is one show I will want to see again. What was interesting in this show compared to Turtle Talk is that adults were included more in this program than in Turtle Talk. Alas, I wasn't chosen to have my picture on the big screen, but I enjoyed seeing other people teased.

A trip to MK isn't complete without a ride on Space Mt. There was a 20 minute wait; my longest for the evening. I was a bit hesitant to go by myself, but it was better to go than to have any regrets. I only started riding roller coasters about 20 years ago, so I still have a mild sense of fear coursing though my veins as I take my spot on #3. It was fun, but I did note that my tender jaw from my trip to the dentist last week didn't appreciate the jarring movement of the track. Note to self: rethink roller coaster if you can't open your jaw to scream.

It was getting quite late by this time, and in the back of my mind I thought I'd heard that the trams were not going to be running after 12:30 PM. I was a bit concerned about getting back to my car in Dopey 110. (If you know the parking area, this is along the backside of the lot and if I was any further back I'd be parked in my driveway.) With one more important task to perform before preparing to leave, I asked a guest to take my picture in Lou's spot. Yes, I am among the select thousands who have sat on the curb in front of the watch shop. I'll post it later.

I had one more important task to perform before I could leave. I needed to try on a pair of crocs to make sure a smaller size would or wouldn't be better than the ones my brother sent me. I have decided that I need to go down to the children's size. Darn! It took ages for me to get the pair he sent.

I made my way to the monorail and TaT. I was really pleased to see that the trams were still running. I had to take a picture of the waiting area because I'd never seen it completely empty. Inside the park seemed a lot warmer than on the tram, so I was glad to finally reach my stop and get to my car. I am pleased to announce that I didn't get lost driving home. (This is always a concern for me since I'm not used to driving in this area yet.)

Comparing last evening to my trip to Animal Kingdom, I think I had a more exciting time at AK. Maybe it was the choices I made as to what to ride and see. Maybe it was due to getting such a late start and trying to do too much in a shorter period of time. Maybe the novelty of going solo wasn't as exciting the second time around. I'm please to have had the chance to go, and will remember my evening for many years to come.
    Last edited by mini-V; 05-08-2007 at 04:48 PM. Reason: spell check

GIOny is offline Premium Annual Passholder
    Wow Mini, that was a great report, I use to be so intimidated even thinking about going to the parks solo but you make it sound like so much fun . I think I need to try this. I guess I am lacking in my Disney knowledge because I didn't know some of the things in your report, I had no idea there was a chocolate dole whip (I just recently found out about a root beer dole whip float). I am not familiar with the Laugh Floor and now I need to remember to go to Flights of Wonder next time in AK (I have never seen it)! BTW very nice picture.
    It's kind of fun to do the impossible!

I'm a very timid driver, so if someone had told me I'd be driving myself to WDW, late at night, and doing the parks on my own, I wouldn't have believed them. It's amazing what you can do when you know this may be the only opportunity to do it.

DisneyDreamer13 is offline A good friend gets you out of jail, a great friend wakes up next to you!
    6,976km from Cinderella Castle / 408km from Sleeping Beauty Castle
    It sounds like you are having lots of fun, look forward to the next instalment!
    x FIONA x
    1989 WDW Offsite1990 WDWOffsite1991Offsite/Contemporary1992 EuroDisney Offsite(schooltrip)
    1992 WDW Offsite/GrandFloridian2001 DLP Davy CrocketRanch2008 Offsite villa/Contempoary
    2009DLP Hotel Santa Fe 2010Clearwater/get married/POR
    Sisterhood of the travelling pirate in the pants

fungus_01 is offline Premium Annual Passholder
    Quote Originally Posted by DisneyDreamer13 View Post
    It sounds like you are having lots of fun, look forward to the next instalment!
    I second that! Great report so far Mini!

*2006 Off site*2007 Pop*2008 Off site*2009 Pop/POR*2010 June Pop*Oct Pop*Dec Pop*2011 Dec CB Pirate Room*2012 Nov Disney Dream*Dec Pop*2013 Feb Pop*March The Swan*​Dec Pop*2014 Oct Disney Fantasy

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast