Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Trip Reports & Member Reviews Discuss Mission: Space in the Vacation Planning forums; Okay, so I see no one has posted to this forum yet...I get to be first! Mission: Space...one word: absolutely awesome! (Okay, so that's two words...). From getting your crew ...
    ripkensnana is offline A-Ticket holder

Mission: Space

Okay, so I see no one has posted to this forum yet...I get to be first!

Mission: Space...one word: absolutely awesome! (Okay, so that's two words...). From getting your crew assignment through liftoff and weightlessness, to the Mars landing, the whole thing is incredible! I did get quite dizzy during liftoff, and it took quite a while for the feeling to go away, but I just didn't care! In fact, I went back for a second helping! This is a must-do attraction for me in the future.

They do have barf bags installed, and my mother got extremely uncomfortable during liftoff...she said that she felt like her heart was going to stop (she's 87), but fortunately, she survived. It took her a couple of hours to get over the experience. I'd recommend thinking twice about this attraction if you have heart trouble, or could be considered elderly. I also understand that motion sickness is a problem on this ride.
    :mickey: Carol (Ripkensnana)) :mickey:

Lou Mongello is offline Lou Mongello (AKQJ10) - Disney Expert, Host, Author, Speaker and Entrepreneur
    rip,

First, thanks for making the first post in this forum!

Second, I'm with ya about M:S!! I was fortunate enough to ride it (5 times) back in August when they were doing some guest previews and I was blown away! This ride ROCKS!

And as long as one understands that it is not a trip down the IASW river, (and doesn't get motion sick), it's one of the best thrill rides anywhere! (BTW, be sure to keep your head straight and back so as not to get dizzy!)

I was amazed at the realism (although I have no frame of reference having never actually been to Mars), but the feeling of the G-forces, the thrust pulling your body back against the seat, etc were absolutely amazing!

OK, maybe I wouldn't have taken my 87 year old grandma , but if you like your rides to get your heart a-pumpin', this one is not to be missed!

Lou Mongello
    Host, Author & Site Owner
    AKQJ10 >: 4 8 15 16 23 42

Xharryb is offline C-Ticket Holder
    I also enjoyed the ride very much. my one complaint is that it seemed a little short after all that time in line.

the only other comment i would make is that I wish it was a bit more interactive. you have a job and are supposed to push your button when instructed, but it doesn't really matter because autopilot does it for you if you don't. i realized that it would be impossible to have the experiences being that different considering how it operates and the fact that there are several other teams experiancing the same thing at the same time, but it is still a little dissapointing.

but overall it was a fun experience and I wasted quite a bit of time in the area after the ride sending wacky emails to my friends.

ABCmom is offline A-Ticket holder
    Question
    Does this cause the same type of motion sickness that Body Wars or Star Tours causes or is it more of a Rockin Roller coaster kind of motion sickness?

Lou Mongello is offline Lou Mongello (AKQJ10) - Disney Expert, Host, Author, Speaker and Entrepreneur
    I actually think that the motion you experience in MS is unlike nay other in WDW or anyweher else for that matter.

You actaully feel as though you are being lifted and weightless at some points, since your ride vehicle is actually part of a centrifuge. You don't get a back and forth and up and down feeling, as you do in any of the simulator rides or a roller coaster.

If you allow yourself to be immersed in the story (easy to do), and kee your head back and stright, you shoul be fine.
    Lou Mongello

TrendyMagic is offline On Mars
    M:S is great. Rode it over 150 times already (including three this am). Though the ride itself is only about 3 mins. That is plenty for most people due to the nature of the ride. There is nothing you can compare this ride with. I have been asked "what ride is this like" many times. There is no good answer for that question. It takes the best of many rides and adds that Disney Magic to it. It does give you a truely unique ride expierence like no other. If you are unsure, give it a try. Well worth it.

WDWScottieBoy is offline Finally moved to Orlando!
    Quote Originally Posted by TrendyMagic
    M:S is great. Rode it over 150 times already (including three this am). Though the ride itself is only about 3 mins. That is plenty for most people due to the nature of the ride. There is nothing you can compare this ride with. I have been asked "what ride is this like" many times. There is no good answer for that question. It takes the best of many rides and adds that Disney Magic to it. It does give you a truely unique ride expierence like no other. If you are unsure, give it a try. Well worth it.
    I see above your avatar that you now have 220 trips to mars, are you the single-most rider this ride has ever seen or do you know if anyone has more rides on it than you do?

As far as the ride is concerned, I have now done it twice and loved it both times. I didn't feel very well at all when I was on it last Sunday but I was having a stomach ache all day so that's the reason. I made it through and enjoyed every second of it. As said earlier, I wish it was more interactive. There were only three of the four people in my pod which left the one seat open and noone to press the buttons for him. I actually pressed one of the two since I couldn't reach the other just so I didn't have to hear "override" all the time. My girlfriend and I both got our jobs complete and she loved the ride as this was her first trip to mars. And no, you can't compare the motion on M:S to anything else ever created. It's one in it's own, VERY unique. Deffinitely a MUST RIDE!

*SCOTT*

UNOFFICIAL WDW TEEN EXPERT!

SAC5286 on AIM (I'm always on and willing to talk)

DWTs very own Disney Commercial Star

3 words: Mission. Space.... Awesome!
    Lou Mongello

TrendyMagic is offline On Mars
    Quote Originally Posted by WDWScottieBoy
    I see above your avatar that you now have 220 trips to mars, are you the single-most rider this ride has ever seen or do you know if anyone has more rides on it than you do?
    I wish I was. Not even close to the most rides. Someone hit 300 several months after it opened. The M:S cast gave him and some of his friends their own launch bay for his 300th ride. Not sure what the most is right now.

As Lou said, It is an awesome ride.