Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Trip Reports & Member Reviews Discuss My (first) solo trip report with pics!!! in the Vacation Planning forums; I took my first solo Disney trip this past Thursday and found the experience extremely…….pleasant. Now, pleasant is not normally an adjective I would choose to describe a Disney trip. ...
    disneydarling is offline ...and the mome raths outgrabe

My (first) solo trip report with pics!!!

I took my first solo Disney trip this past Thursday and found the experience extremely…….pleasant. Now, pleasant is not normally an adjective I would choose to describe a Disney trip. Exciting, yes, hectic, sometimes, fun, always…but pleasant???Pleasant sounds so mundane and yet, pleasant is hands down the best way to describe my experience.

I originally set out to do a tour of the coasters at all 4 parks. Because I always visit with my two year old and no other adults I haven’t been able to ride my favorite rides in a long time (I'm having seperation anxiety from Thunder Mountain) I started out at AK to conquer EE. For some reason unbeknownst to me AK was packed, especially for a Thursday morning in early may. I arrived at 9:30 am and the parking lot was already at least 70% full. There were also a number of school groups visiting which contributed to the chaos. I had planned to fast pass EE and ride primeval whirl and dinosaur while I waited but by the time I made it to the fp kiosk (9:45 am) the time to come back and ride was already 3pm…no thank you. I was very pleasantly surprised however, to find a single rider line and was able to ride 3x in a row with less than a minute wait each time. I had ridden EE once before when it first opened and must say it is quickly becoming one of my favorite rides. When you are flying backwards and can’t tell if you are falling or rising up….exhilarating. My only criticisms of EE are…it is way too short I think they should expand the track outdoors after the yeti. And the yetis eyes really bug me – he I such an elaborate prop and the glowing red lights for eyes just looks cheap.

I walked from EE over to Dinoland which was..completely packed, we are talking 30 min waits for primeval whirl. It was also getting uncomfortably hot so I decided to make my exit.
    Sisterhood of the traveling pirate in the pants: charter member

A friend will help you mend a broken heart; a best friend will get a shovel and help you dig the hole.

Part Two - Epcot

One of the nicest things about traveling solo is that you have absolute freedom to do what you want, when you want, without compromise. And so while I had set out to ride all the coasters in all 4 parks I changed my mind and decided that what I was really in the mood for was a leisurely stroll around the world showcase in Epcot

Epcot was not nearly as packed as AK had been, much to my relief! I secured a fast pass or soarin right away and then went to the first aide station to snag some band aids for my blisters (never wear brand new sandals to walk around Disney in...even if they are crocs and suppose to be really comfortable).

From there I started my tour at Mexico – which has always been one of my favorite pavilions. I rode the new Rio de tempo (or whatever they call it now), and was so disappointed. I always found this to be such a relaxing ride – a hidden jewel really. But the addition of the three caballeros ruined it – As far as I could tell there was no clear plot behind their being there – rather they dashed manically in and out if scenes – distracting substantially from the mood of the ride. My son’s estranged father is Mexican and I had looked forward to taking Riley here and showing him a part of his heritage that I am not very familiar with (being an Irish girl and all) however I found the re-themed el Rio pandering to every negative spaghetti western stereotypes of Mexico and Mexicans.

Next stop, and forgive me if I don’t remember the countries in exact order, was China where I stood through (most) of the 360 show – I had to leave 10 minutes in as the panoramas made me extremely dizzy/nauseous

A friend will help you mend a broken heart; a best friend will get a shovel and help you dig the hole.

Epcot part 2

I had a lovely lunch in Japan – sat outside in the shade and listened to a grandfather explain Floridian history to his grandson – a very sweet picture that made me miss my son

I didn’t do any other attractions/rides in World showcase but enjoyed leisurely shopping at each pavilion – I love that the shops feature items unique to each country and not just generic Disney merchandise (not that generic Disney merchandise isn’t great). I got an Italian soccer jersey for my youngest brother, an avid soccer fan, who is taking a “make a wish” trip to Italy this summer. For my son I got a “Maisy” book and plush in England – he is obsessed with Maisy (a little mouse? Character in children’s books) and I normally have to have relatives in Ireland send me Maisy paraphernalia.

I still had an hour to kill before my scheduled soarin time so I headed to innovations. I took a segway mini lesson…..what fun!!! I am completely hooked and already looking in to booking a segway tour for my next trip – I highly recommend this experience to everyone – by far the most fun things I did at WDW.
    Soarin was wonderful as always (although I am eager for them to switch it to Soarin over Florida)

Epcot Part 3

After Soarin I took a quick turn on Space Ship earth...I just love the narrators voice on that ride - so soothing! And you just gotta love the A/C!

The garden festival was going on during my visit and I took the time to check out all the topiaries - they were amazing, especially the giant pirate ship at the enterance

Before leaving I found my son and I - Its really nice to think that one day he can take his kids to Epcot and show them himself as a baby with their old grandma!!

A storm of biblical proportions at MK

After a full day at Epcot and AK, I decided to call it quits...but as I was walking towards the exit an inexplicable force pulled me towards the monorail - it was as if some sirens song (or was it the mickey mouse club song) was calling me to MK...and who am I to argue with sirens?

I've always enjoyed the monorail ride from Epcot to MK...and after running the 2007 WDW marathon which follows part of the same course - I appreciate it more...what on earth possesed me to run 26.2 miles when I could have just flagged down the pink monorail? (oh yeah - I think it had something to do with a worthy cause )

At some point between my boarding the monorail at Epcot and disembarking at the TTC a great and mighty storm had blown up. I am a native Floridian and no stranger to big storms but this was something truly unusual. As I entered MK I was nearly run down by tourist fleeing (I felt kinda like a firefighter - running towards the fire - only less heroic). The flag on Main Street was flapping so hard it sounded like lightening. I made it to Fantasy land before the storm broke - I don't mind getting wet but the lightening was way to close so I huddled in Sir Mickeys along with a couple dozen other brave souls - the wind was blowing so hard that gust of rain were blowing in.

After the rain cleared I ran as fast as my little legs would carry me to BTMR - were I had to wait for 30 minutes before I could get the all clear to ride - the wait was more than made up for by the fact that I got to ride 3x back to back when it finally did open!!

Alas it was finally time to go home...
    While this trip was not as exciting or high energy as previous trips I have taken, and while I did miss having a companion to experience certain things with – overall I found my first solo experience to be unusually serene, lovely, peaceful, and well, pleasant!

GaRain is offline I love a guy who can make me laugh!
    Glad you had a good time. I loved my solo trip - the freedom is awesome.
    Nothing to countdown to, so just smile and be happy everyday!

mini-V is offline Home at last near Mickey!
    I, too, enjoyed my 2 solo trips this month. There's nothing like being in charge with no one to question you when you change your mind.
    Those Spring storms can be forceful. We got caught at Epcot in a thunder storm.
    It had been a long time since I'd been on El Rio del Tiempo, but I think I liked it better than you did.
    Last edited by mini-V; 05-17-2007 at 03:54 PM. Reason: spelling
    mini-V What will you celebrate?

Adult daycare for the kid inside you.

Justin M is offline Fastpass Holder
    I love travelling to WDW by myself. I've made solo trips 4 times and I've found them very pleasant as well. I really enjoy the pace and the freedom. Nothing beats sharing Disney with someone special, but the opportunity to see and do what you want when you want is a really neat way to see 'the world!"
    Justin

www.dreamcmo.com

Send your questions about my CMO experiences to Justin@dreamCMO.com and you just might make it on the site!

Find me on 'Facebook' as well! http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=506475946

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mpxsEymi9SE - CMO Blooper reel
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RiIo5xUlQkg - CMO "Adventurosity Remix"

Tinker Bell is offline DisneyWorldTrivia.com Lifetime Pass
    After reading this I am SO excited to go again! Every time I have been to WDW it was with a different set of people so each time has been completely different. I still have not been solo, one day perhaps.

Shere_Khan is offline As the world falls down...
    I went by myself in Feb because my fiance had work in Orlando, so basically free trip except for the Disney tickets.
    I did get a little down (if that is even possible in WDW!!) on the second day but I quickly snapped out of it and thought how awesome it was that i got to be there. It's great to be able to go where you want.

"Almost everyone is mad here. You may have noticed that I'm not all there myself." - Chesire Cat

"You have spirit for one so small, and that spirit deserves a fighting chance." - Shere Khan

Quote Originally Posted by mini-V View Post
    I, too, enjoyed my 2 solo trips this month. There's nothing like being in charge with no one to question you when you change your mind.
    Those Spring storms can be forceful. We got caught at Epcot in a thunder storm.
    It had been a long time since I'd been on El Rio del Tiempo, but I think I liked it better than you did.

I Loved El Rio del Tiempo....just no the re-themed version wih the three caballaros...very corny

mini-V is offline Home at last near Mickey!
    Quote Originally Posted by disneydarling View Post
    I Loved El Rio del Tiempo....just no the re-themed version wih the three caballaros...very corny
    No, I meant I liked the re-themed version better than you, but I didn't remember how I liked the it before the re-theming because it had been a long time since I'd seen the original. I saw the new version two weeks ago.
    mini-V What will you celebrate?

Adult daycare for the kid inside you.

DisneyDreamer13 is offline A good friend gets you out of jail, a great friend wakes up next to you!
    6,976km from Cinderella Castle / 408km from Sleeping Beauty Castle
    it sounds like a lovely trip Meg, its good to have a break from your little one once in a while.
    The storm photo is great, florida has the best thunder storms i've ever seen, i hope for one or two next year.
    x FIONA x
    1989 WDW Offsite1990 WDWOffsite1991Offsite/Contemporary1992 EuroDisney Offsite(schooltrip)
    1992 WDW Offsite/GrandFloridian2001 DLP Davy CrocketRanch2008 Offsite villa/Contempoary
    2009DLP Hotel Santa Fe 2010Clearwater/get married/POR
    Sisterhood of the travelling pirate in the pants