Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Trip Reports & Member Reviews Discuss Another quick trip report in the Vacation Planning forums; Well, I was thinking about going to WDW in mid-June, but between schools being out, my sis's dvc points needing to be used by the end of May and some ...
    satijp is offline Fastpass Holder

Another quick trip report

Well, I was thinking about going to WDW in mid-June, but between schools being out, my sis's dvc points needing to be used by the end of May and some easy flights, we decided to take a mini trip this past week.

I flew out of Indy Monday morning. I LOVE NON-STOPS! and was in Tampa by 10am. My sis picked me up, and we had to run some errands and get the girls after school. Then we were off.

We got to Old Key West at about 5, got checked in and changed and were off to EPOCOT by 6. Now, we decided to try th dinig plan for the first time, but since this trip got planned on Sunday, there weren't too many restaurants with res's left. We could do Crystal Palace for dinner or breakfast, but that was about all (so we booked breakfast there and hoped for something else to come up). We decided to stop by Norway and Coral Reef to check on opening, but to no avail. Lines we not that bad though at the attractions.

We started in Future Worls, since we only had about an hour before that closed, and did Figment, Nemo and the Land boat ride. Not bad for running around with a 3-year-old and an 8 mo old. The little one actually fell asleep in the Land. I was a little disappointed with the Nemo overhaul or the Living Seas. The animation in the fish tanks is kinda cool, but I think you see a whole lot less of the actual aquarium than you used to.

Then we were off to world showcase. We started in Mexico, as is the tradition, and went on the new Grand Fiesta Tour. I'm glad they kept the Small World room, but miss the dancers at the end. The video portions weren't too bad, just don't know if the changes were an improvement.

We just kind of took it easy the rest of the way around the rest of the showcase, enjoying and taking pics with the topiaries. They had some cool pirates of Mickey, Minnie, Goofy and Donald at the front of the Showcase. We then stoped and watched a cool "Flower Power" show up by the USA. By this time it was after 8 and we all were getting a little hungary. My sis is on a low carb diet, so Japan was definately out for dinner. Then, had a fun idea, Morocco. And what a great little restaurant is was! We had the lamb & chicken combo, with drinks and baklava on the dining plan. Good deal, it was $18.50 each, but came out as $10.50 on the plan. Niece #1 got a kids cheeseburger, also with baklava. It was YUMMY!!!! In fact, both girls started stealing our hummus! We sat tight, grabbed some hot tea (because the wind was blowing and it was getting quite chilly), and watched IllumiNations from there. It was perfect. We had about the entire pavillion to ourselves. Also, I must give props to Issam, who works there, very helpful and so nice.

We thought about going to the pool when we got back to the hotel, but we were pooped. I had been up since 5 am and they weren't far behind!!!

Tues mourning was extra magic hours at MK, so we got up early again, and headed over for the rope drop. As mentioned on another thread, my fingerprint would not let me in, sis had the same issue, and they never even checked for hotel ID, they were just letting everyone in early. We did lots of pin trading on the way in, then went over to Buzz and racked up a few points before we decided to go check on the rope drop at Liberty Square. It was a bit crowded, so we decided to go to the rope between Fantasyland and there.... Good choice! We hustled to Haunted Mansion (another reason for decided to try to go in May instead of June) and were in the first group in the stretching room. Guess what? Everyone on the way out got a Dream Fast Pass!! My first YoMD win Sis's family was the family of the day and grand marshalls of the Family Fun Day parade last week... she's super lucky!

Oh, and while we were waiting on the rope drop I called res and got ours changed from Crystal Palace to 1900 Park Fare, which turned out to be great. The 3yr old is having a Mad Tea Party for her b-day, and who was there but Alice and the Mad Hatter!!! Along with Pooh, Tigger and Mary Poppins. Plus, the buffet was extensive and very good. Only thing was that at $18, we only saved a few $ on the dining plan. I'd definately reccomend using it on character dinners instead of beakfasts or lunches to get max value out of it.

So we did Splash and BTMRR twice each (she's not tall enough for Space yet) and sis stayed with the little one. We got soaked the first time and I tried to get her to go on it, but she declined. Second go on Splash was not quite as damp. That may have been it for the day, but we now had a ton of fast passes. Let me tell you, it was crowded!!! Pooh and Peter Pan both had almost an hour wait. Even with the fast pass it took us 10-15 minutes to get through. We took a trip back to Buzz... NO LINE AT ALL!!! Walked righ on. Could be because it was parade time. But we walked out of there, took a ride on the TTA, and then caught the entire parade from the entrance bridge to Tomorrowland!

Just a couple more stops... Jungle Cruise and Dole Whips finished out our day. The snack option on the dinig plan is limited, so we all got cokes (and one popcorn) to take with us on the was back to Tampa.

It was a fun whirlwind trip! Learned a little about the dining plan, in case we want to use it for a longer stay this summer, and now I really want to talk the hubby into getting DVC!

Chrissy&Tayen is offline counting down to my vacation
    sounds like you have tons of fun! i wish i could do a whirlwind trip.. our trips are year in the making..LOL
    All Star Sports July 2006
    All Star Movies October 2007
    Coronado Spring February 2010
    Pop Century October 2010
    All Star Movies September 2011
    Pop Century September 2012
    Chrissy