Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Trip Reports & Member Reviews Discuss My May 2007 Trip Report (with pictures) in the Vacation Planning forums; I'm not very good with these things, but I'm gonna attempt to do a trip report. Hopefully my memory can hold up and I can remember the order in which ...
    nicks10 is offline @nick_straka

My May 2007 Trip Report (with pictures)

I'm not very good with these things, but I'm gonna attempt to do a trip report. Hopefully my memory can hold up and I can remember the order in which we did everything!

This trip was just me and my grandparents, so I thought I would have to do some of the big thrill attractions by myself. Boy was I wrong, I didnt have to ride anything alone, my grandparents are more thrill seeking than I ever knew. This was also my first time staying a moderate resort, so I wasnt really sure what to expect from Port Orleans:Riverside, but I had heard excellent things about it.

Heres the cast of the trip:

Me, My Grandma (Nana as I call her), My Grandpa (Papa as I call him)

(sorry for the blurriness of the picture)

Day 1: May 21, 2007
    We had a later flight than we are used to, we departed from O'Hare airport in Chicago at 11:50 a.m. and arrived at Orlando at about 3:30 p.m. WDW time. We checked in at magical express and sat on the bus for a bit as we waited for it to fill up. After stopping at Old Key West, Saratoga Springs, and French Quarter we arrived at Riverside. I wasnt sure what to expect, but it turned out to be absolutely beautiful. The grounds were awesome and the theming was excellent and really made you feel like you were in the New Orleans area. Our room was in the Parterre Place building in the Magnolia Bend section of Riverside and was just a short walk away from the Sassagoula Steamboat Co. building (which is the main building with the lobby, Fultons general store, and restaurants). Parterre Place was themed as a stately southern mansion and was very well done.

The room was alot bigger than I expected, it was actually just a bit smaller than the room we had at the Beach Club last year.

The room was 9769 and we had a nice view of the Sassagoula river and a fountain at the entrance to the Parterre Place building.

After getting settled into the resort we were all very hungry and decided to go over to the Studios to get something to eat. After seeing that the Studio Catering Co. Flatbread Grill was closed we decided to head over to the ABC Comissary and put those counter service points on our dining plan to use. After eating I wanted to go on the Great Movie Ride as I had never been on it before. I really liked it and was sad I waited so long to check it out. (This was only my second time staying on property so I would be out to try a bunch of attractions for the first time) After the Great Movie Ride we headed over to Sunset Blv. and I thought I should try to get on Rock n Roller Coaster before Fantasmic! and my Nana actually decided to join me! I could tell I wouldnt be doing things alone if she could handle Rock n Roller Coaster. The sound in our seats wasnt working and we told a cast member after the ride and she offered to let us back on but we declined because we were going to be late for Fantasmic! I now regret this because I didnt get another chance to ride RnRc this trip.

We headed over to the Hollywood Hills Ampitheater for Fantasmic! (another first for me) and I was very impressed with the show even though we were standing. We headed back to the resort after a very good start to our trip to get some rest for the Magic Kingdom's morning EMHs the next day!

Day 2 report to come tomorrow!
    Last edited by nicks10; 05-29-2007 at 11:54 PM.
    -Nick

"Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow and fantasy"

disneydarling is offline ...and the mome raths outgrabe
    Sounds like you had a great trip..I can't wait to read about tommorow!
    Sisterhood of the traveling pirate in the pants: charter member

A friend will help you mend a broken heart; a best friend will get a shovel and help you dig the hole.

MayBWeRMnt2B is offline living happily ever after...
    nice start to your trip report!
    - Jeanne

Engaged at Sunset Point - July 17th, 2008
    Married at Sunset Point - March 3, 2009
    Disney World & Disneyland Honeymoon

Aulani - September 2011

Wishes can come true, if you believe in them with all your heart.
    And the best part is, you'll never run out of wishes.
    They're shining deep down inside of you.
    'Cause that my friends is where the magic lives

DissyLove is offline Wendy's real. I've seen her, so don't even start with me.
    Sounds like fun so far!
    I am in need of some Disney magic!!

hgraber is offline E-Ticket Holder
    I'm jealous.
    I believe in Happily Ever Afters.

Cinderella2 is offline Thrilled to know there are others who sparkle!
    We stayed at the French Quarter last trip and it was beautiful. We took the little boat down to Riverside and even though it is very spread out, it is just gorgeous! I can't believe you had to stand for Fantasmic! I am so jealous that you are there and I am not.
    Can't wait for day 2!
    Dreams Really Do Come True

Yes, it was very spread out, but our building was pretty close to the main building and the south depot bus stop, so it wasnt so bad. Oh, and dont be too jealous because I'm not there anymore
    -Nick

Day 2: May 22, 2007

We got up early to make it to the Magic Kingdom for morning EMH's on tuesday to try to get some attractions out of the way before the crowds showed up. We arrived on Main Street, USA at about 8:30 so we had some time before the park officially opened at 9:00. We decided to tour the park counter clockwise starting with Tomorrowland, specifically Space Mountain. I wasnt quite sure if I was gonna have to go solo on this one or not, but it turns out that they both wanted to go on it also! I was very impressed with my grandparents throughout the whole trip, they went on everything except my grandpa sat out Rock n Roller Coaster. After voyaging through space via the alpha track we headed over to Carousel of Progress. After CoP we took a little tour of Tomorrowland on the TTA. It was just a bit after 9:00 and we were all pretty hungry so I decided to postpone the Monsters Inc. Laugh Floor until another day of the trip. We headed over to the Main Street Bakery through the Noodle Station.

After having a little breakfast at the bakery we made our way over to Fantasyland and waited only 20 minutes to get on Peter Pan's Flight, which I thought was pretty short compared to what I've seen before. After PPF we went over to Liberty Square to ride the Haunted Mansion, I was suprised to hear that neither of them remembered ever riding the Haunted Mansion, which is one of my top 5 favorites! After the Haunted Mansion we went over to Frontierland for the mountains. We grabbed a fastpass for BTMRR while we waited in the stand-by queue of Splash Mountain, which is my favorite attraction and one of my favorite queue areas as well.

After riding Splash we went to ride BTMRR with our fastpasses then headed over to Pecos Bills for a tasty lunch. I had a the delicious cheeseburger (I agree with Lou, best on property!) After lunch we made our way over to Adventureland and rode Pirates with only a 10 minute wait. Then we went and saw the Enchanted Tiki Room before going back to Riverside for a break before our dinner reservation at Tony's Town Square.

When we came back to the Magic Kingdom we were a little bit early for our 6:10 reservation time so we wondered around Main Street for a little while to pass the time.

I had read some bad things about Tony's but I thought I had to judge it for myself. I thought the food was actually pretty good. The waitress did seem like she was rushing us a bit, but it was nothing bad enough for me to say that the service was bad. Overall I would rate Tony's an 8 out of 10. Fairly good food and above average service made it worth our table service points. It was alot better than I had heard about it, and I would recommend it.

After our dinner we headed over to Adventureland to take a ride on the Jungle Cruise, and we got the most enthusiastic skipper I have ever had! I dont remember his name but he was excellent! After Jungle Cruise we went back to Fantasyland to see Mickey's Philharmagic before watching Wishes. Spectromagic wasnt running tonight, which I thought was fairly odd. I thought it usually ran every night. After Mickey's Philharmagic, which I think is the best 3D show at WDW, we headed back to Main Street to get a spot to watch Wishes from, we ended up right by Casey's Corner.

(sorry thats a little dark)

We headed back to Riverside after another magical day at WDW to get some rest for another EMH morning day, this time at Animal Kingdom.

Day 3 report should come tonight or tomorrow!
    -Nick

Day 3: May 23, 2007

We got up early again this morning for EMHs, this time at the Animal Kingdom. I wanted to get there before 9:00 to get on Everest, as I had never been on it before. I forgot to mention the new pre-recorded spiels on the buses earlier. The drivers usually still made a little announcement about safety, but they didnt talk at all during the ride. It was pretty cool that they played background music themed to whatever your destination was, even including the resorts. When we got picked up there was music that fit Port Orleans and then when the announcement came on that we were going to Epcot it mentioned the major attractions and then the music switched to something fitting to Future World. The announcements almost seemed automated because the announcement would come on and the music would change at the same spot every time it seemed. Ok, back to you're regularly scheduled trip report! We arrived at Animal Kingdom at about 8:30 and headed right for Expedition Everest obviously. We waited about 10 minutes which gave us some time to examine the queue area, which was excellent. The ride itself was amazing! The ridethrough videos dont do it justice at all and I would highly recommend scheduling a trip down to WDW if you havent been on Everest yet. Absolutely an amazing attraction! One of my new favorites.

After Everest we headed over to Kali River Rapids and of course I was on the seat at the bottom of the drop and got soaked more than I ever had before, I dont remember any dry spots on me at all, this literally looked like I fell in a pool along with my cell phone my own stupid fault for not putting it in the middle console of the raft. After Kali we made our way over to Dinoland, USA to ride DINOSAUR. I still dont understand why Chester and Hester's Dinorama is there, its so tacky and the opposite of what I think Walt would have wanted in his theme parks. The Imagineers need to do something about that. Please! After DINOSAUR we went to the Tree of Life to see It's Tough to be a Bug. Then we went to get a fastpass for Kilimanjaro Safaris and we had to wait about 10 minutes just to get a Fastpass, it was a mob scene around the Safaris. Heres a picture of the new larger Fastpasses:

We headed back over to Dinoland to try to get into Finding Nemo the Musical and got a seat towards the back of the massive theater. The show was very well done and I was happy we went to see it. After a few minutes you almost forget that there are people controlling the characters. We headed back over to the Safaris to use our fastpass and we were informed that the ride was currently non-operational but our fastpasses would be valid all day. While we waited for the ride to get back up and running we went and had lunch at the Tusker House. This was my first time eating here and I loved it, I had the rotiserre (sp?) chicken and mashed potatoes. It was very good, I hope they keep similar food when its converted into a Table Service. After lunch the Safaris were back up and running and we got right on with little wait in the fastpass line. They still had the same storyline about poachers and such.

After Kilimanjaro my grandma saw one of her friends from back home and we had no idea she was gonna be down there, It's a Small World after all! We headed back to Riverside to take a break before having dinner over at Le Cellier.

We had some time to kill before our reservation so we rode Spaceship Earth and briefly walked around Project Tomorrow afterward. I didnt check out specific exhibits but the area looked pretty cool and there was plenty of room for things to be built in the future.

Le Cellier was everything that I had heard about, one of the best restaurants on property. Amazing food! The Cheddar Cheese Soup especially, and even better service. 10 out of 10 for Le Cellier, we gave our waiter an extra tip on top of the included gratuity in the dining plan because he was so great. I definitely recommend Le Cellier and agree with all the other praises it has recieved. Flower and Garden Festival was going on so heres some pictures of the displays (many more to come in future reports)

We ended our night with a ride on the Gran Fiesta Tour, which I thought was pretty cool. Good animations made the attraction much brighter and I enjoyed it. It kinda jumps right into the story without letting you know whats really going on, but I already knew the story so it was no big deal. Maybe they could add some stuff to the queue to set up the story. Thats the only thing I saw wrong with Gran Fiesta Tour. We ended our night with Illuminations; excellent as always!

Day 4 to come soon: we head over the Studios to experience some movie making magic, lol
    Last edited by nicks10; 05-30-2007 at 06:18 PM.
    -Nick

hgraber is offline E-Ticket Holder
    Quote Originally Posted by nicks10 View Post
    Day 3 report should come tonight or tomorrow!
    Tonight! Tonight! I'm living vicariously through you!
    I believe in Happily Ever Afters.

Very nice trip report so far! How nice it is that a teenage boy would want to go to Disney with his Grandparents and enjoy it so much!!!

Quote Originally Posted by disneydreamer98 View Post
    Very nice trip report so far! How nice it is that a teenage boy would want to go to Disney with his Grandparents and enjoy it so much!!!
    Its sort of the last big thing I'll do with them before I go to college, so it was really cool.
    -Nick

disney fanatic is offline I don't wanna hurt you, I wanna KISS YOU!
    Awesome report, Nick! Great photos...

He won't win the MVP or be voted into the Hall of Fame........then again, some heroes don't play games.

Ms.HwithaBSwithaCT

butlers is offline Lost in Tenderness!!!!!!
    Just around the riverbend over the cobblestone corner of the high arched castle
    What a wonderful report. The pictures makeit even better....I will have to agree with hgraber though... Tonight! I'm so looking forward to the rest
    April 23rd, oh yeah it's gonna be ON!

ChipNDale is offline Yeah, my Rubber Duck wears a Tiara FCOL!
    Great trip report so far and I am loving the photos!!
    WHAFTFCOL now who wants a cookie!?!
    Copy Right of S&B LLC.
    SITTM... We have an App for that!

Yeah, I like Ninja Rubber Duckies FCOL!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast