Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Trip Reports & Member Reviews Discuss Disneyworld - through a 5 year old's eyes! in the Vacation Planning forums; Since I got some requests for a trip report, here it goes! Day 1, Magic Kingdom This was AJ’s (5) first trip to Disneyworld, this trip kinda got thrown together ...
    Tinker Bell is offline DisneyWorldTrivia.com Lifetime Pass

Disneyworld - through a 5 year old's eyes!

Since I got some requests for a trip report, here it goes!

Day 1, Magic Kingdom

This was AJ’s (5) first trip to Disneyworld, this trip kinda got thrown together in a hurry but everything worked out great. Stayed off-site at the Best Western on International (I know, I know) and got a rental car. We had an 8h20am flight, this was his second flight but he didn’t remember his first trip since he was only 14 months so it was all brand new to him. He enjoyed the take off and pressing on the TV’s touchscreen so much that it jammed up on him and it didn’t work the rest of the trip. After about an hour and a half he was getting tired of the plane and was saying that it was taking too long to get there (so glad I got a direct 3 hour flight). I had packed him a bag of stuff to play with but he went through it really quickly. He enjoyed the landing and the little “tram” ride to the terminal. Met up with Jake at the bag claim and we were on our way!

Checked into our hotel, dropped off the luggage and went for lunch before hitting Magic Kingdom. We rode in the front of the monorail, which was a first for me too! I thought it was more complicated than it really is. You just ask the CM or go stand right at the front, simple as that. Once we got to the MK we took the mandatory pics in front of the train station, in front of the castle and in “the spot” of course.

First thing AJ wanted to check out was the Tomorrowland Indy Speedway so we headed towards Tomorrowland, that was weird since I usually always got left first. He had a good time driving the car, even though he could barely see over the steering wheel. That afternoon we also did Astro Orbiter and the TTA, which he both loved and wanted to ride again. Buzz Lightyear was just okay to him, I think he was a little bit overwhelmed with all the stuff that is going on in there, he didn’t really shoot at much, I probably got my best score ever. We grabbed some frozen Cokes and headed towards Mickey’s Toontown Fair since Space Mountain was down and besides, figured Goofy’s Barnstormer would be a better one to try first. Of course he loved that one, it is short enough that an adult can hold their breath for the duration of the ride. Walked through Minnie’s house, he really liked her kitchen. Then checked out Donald’s boat but he wasn’t too interested in seeing Mickey’s house, maybe next time.

Then it was onto Fantasyland, the crowds were very light that evening which meant we got to ride lots. Peter Pan’s flight (he recognized scenes from the book and really liked the pirate ships), Dumbo, Cinderella’s Carrousel, The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh, Mad Tea Party (boy did we spin fast on that one!), IASW and PhillarMagic, he really enjoyed that, he really wanted to know where Donald ended up at the end, in the gift shop? He made a friend at Pooh’s Playful Spot, they had a great time running around. Amazing how much energy these little guys have.

I don’t remember what we did for dinner that night I’m already getting my days mixed up. I think we had Peco’s Bill and that was really good, (try the chicken wraps and the chili). We got to check out the Haunted Mansion before it closed for rehab, AJ was a trooper but he didn’t like the popping ghouls one bit. The ballroom scene freaked him out a little bit too. I guess it was very “real” looking to a 5 year old! Then it was about time for the park to close, Wishes was almost over, we walked by Pirates but it was already closed. We then got stuck in a sea of people exiting and the wait to get to the TTC was really long. AJ was pretty tired so he got a ride on Jake’s shoulders. We all enjoyed the boat ride over and chatted with a nice family. I think AJ fell asleep before we left the parking lot, it was great to have a car so he could fall asleep comfortably. He didn’t even wake up when I put his PJs on back at the hotel, pretty much the same thing happened every night, he was out like a light!

Next, Magic Kingdom part deux.
    Last edited by Tinker Bell; 06-08-2007 at 10:26 PM.

butlers is offline Lost in Tenderness!!!!!!
    Just around the riverbend over the cobblestone corner of the high arched castle
    Nice start to a wonderful trip CC.....I love Disney through a child's eyes....Oh wait, through my eyes also. But, you know what i mean..... Can't wait to see the rest.
    April 23rd, oh yeah it's gonna be ON!

the7thAve is offline Pepper's Ghost
    keep it up!!!!!! I've always been of the opinion that five is the perfect age for the first trip. But that's probly b/c I went for my first time when I was five and was big enough to ride everything.

If we can dream it, we can do it

MayBWeRMnt2B is offline living happily ever after...
    Great start!! Sounds like a fun trip!
    - Jeanne

Engaged at Sunset Point - July 17th, 2008
    Married at Sunset Point - March 3, 2009
    Disney World & Disneyland Honeymoon

Aulani - September 2011

Wishes can come true, if you believe in them with all your heart.
    And the best part is, you'll never run out of wishes.
    They're shining deep down inside of you.
    'Cause that my friends is where the magic lives

Glad you are enjoying!

AJ is pretty tall so the only things he could not ride due to his size were Rock n Roller Coaster and Primeval Whirl. 5 is a good age but I think 6 would be even better. He didn't really understand that we could not always just hop back on a ride that he enjoyed, that an hour or more is a REALLY long time to wait in line when you are 5! (Thank goodness for FastPasses....)

We had some "interesting" moments which I will get into in the next few days, stay tuned!

DisneyDreamer13 is offline A good friend gets you out of jail, a great friend wakes up next to you!
    6,976km from Cinderella Castle / 408km from Sleeping Beauty Castle
    it sounds so great!! Look forward to seeing photos
    x FIONA x
    1989 WDW Offsite1990 WDWOffsite1991Offsite/Contemporary1992 EuroDisney Offsite(schooltrip)
    1992 WDW Offsite/GrandFloridian2001 DLP Davy CrocketRanch2008 Offsite villa/Contempoary
    2009DLP Hotel Santa Fe 2010Clearwater/get married/POR
    Sisterhood of the travelling pirate in the pants

GaRain is offline I love a guy who can make me laugh!
    Nice to see how he reacted to some things so far.
    Nothing to countdown to, so just smile and be happy everyday!

disney fanatic is offline I don't wanna hurt you, I wanna KISS YOU!
    GREAT report so far, C! Can't wait to read more!!

He won't win the MVP or be voted into the Hall of Fame........then again, some heroes don't play games.

Ms.HwithaBSwithaCT

Magic Kingdom Part Deux

Woke up around 9am pretty much every day, basically letting AJ sleep in the morning to make sure he was well rested for the long day ahead. He would want to wear his hat and bag every day, his choice not mine! I would tell him that he might be warm and it might get heavy but he didn’t complain once. He liked having his bag to collect things throughout the day, maps, pressed pennies, candy, stickers etc. He even carried his own little bottle of water.

We had IHOP for breakfast, loooooove their pancakes! AJ loved the strawberry syrup and put it on everything, eggs too. I think we got to MK around 11am, which would give us 12 hours at the park, more than enough.

First thing we did that morning was go to City Hall and get a “1st visit” button for AJ (forgot to do that the day before). Then we went left to Adventureland, checked out the Swiss Family Tree house, I think AJ tried to open every single door, he asked who was living there and where they were at. He also has a thing for water and fountains, (just like his mommy) so he thought the water system was cool. Then we rode Aladdin’s Magic Carpets, which he really enjoyed. Followed by, in no particular order, Pirates (in which he yelled out “Captain Jack Sparrow, grandma says hi!”, Jungle Cruise (he loved the backside of water) and the Tiki Room. He didn’t like the Goddess, I don’t like her either. Bring back the old management! Of course had to have Dole Whips, AJ had a chocolate soft serve, you know, those cups are way too small! He couldn’t eat it fast enough, we had chocolate everywhere, including his bag. (Jake called it “distressing”). He played in the Tiki area for a bit, he thought the spitting was hilarious.

We then walked through Liberty Square, asked AJ if he wanted to check out the Haunted Mansion again and he said no. The guys had fun at the shooting arcade for a while then we were off to Tom Sawyer Island to pay the escape tunnel a visit...he he....AJ tried all the rifles (or are they shotguns? I never get it right), after that he got upset with me for something, it might have been that he wanted to go on Splash Mountain NOW and didn’t want to wait and didn’t want to understand that we needed to get off TSI first. He got a time-out on a bench since he tried to run away from us...good thing Jake runs fast! Once he calmed down, we finished exploring the island, took the raft back and headed towards Splash Mountain. We waited a while for that one, I know we got a Fast Pass for it to return if he enjoyed it and he did! We didn’t get too wet either. Later on, he changed his mind and didn’t want to ride it again so we gave away our FPs. We picked up some ride photos and headed to Big Thunder. He loved that as well. We had some Churros with chocolate sauce, not as good as Disneyland’s version, “Asphyxiation by caramel”.

We then dodged Spectromagic and headed towards Space Mountain. It was up and running with no wait! Jake had the bag with the Splash Mountain photos and a bottle of water in it and after the ride, noticed the bag was gone! We tried to get it from lost and found a few days later but no dice, it was our small offering to the Space Mountain Gods. Anyway, we could have hopped right back on but no, AJ wouldn’t ride it again. Instead, we rode Astro Orbiter and the TTA again. We skipped Stitch since it probably would have freaked AJ out too much, he doesn’t like pitch black very much.

I forgot to mention that we checked out the Monsters Laugh Floor the day before. Of course they had to pick me and ask me questions...ugh. It was funny though, they asked where I was from and what my name was. Then said something to the effect of Canada is where the Eiffel tower is etc. and when I said no, they asked “oh yeah? When were you there last?” to which I replied, “This morning!” then they clammed up and the audience laughed. At least they picked someone else to make funny sounds and faces...It was a fun show, I actually laughed quite a bit. Jake thinks they picked on me because he was being loud, not sure how they choose who to talk to.

Caught a few moments of Wishes and made our way to Main Street and noticed that Spectromagic was running again, watched the tail end of it and headed to the Confectionery where we picked up some candy and rice krispy treats. Rode the monorail back without much of a wait and again, AJ passed out in the car so we got some cheeseburgers to go from Wendy’s since everything else was closed at that time.

Coming up next, Epcot and tropical storm Barry.
    Last edited by Tinker Bell; 06-08-2007 at 07:55 PM.

Epcot - Part One

Got to the TTC around 11am and rode the monorail over to Epcot, took some photos with the Peter Pan pirate ship out front and changed our reservations at Marrakesh so that we could have a later lunch. First thing we did was get FPs for Soariní and then headed straight for Nemo since AJ was already asking for it (it was pictured on the front of the park map). It was pretty much a walk-on, he liked it a lot, I really want to know how many times they say "Nemo" on that ride. My favorite part are the jellyfish, the queue area is really cute too. Jake will probably disagree, he isn't very pleased with the little clownfish. Stayed in The Seas for quite a while, AJ enjoyed checking out all the fish and marine life, especially the large tanks.

We then picked up a World Showcase Passport at the shop in Showcase Plaza and hopped on a Friendship to get to Morocco. The restaurant was not busy at all, I think this restaurant is overlooked by most, too bad because the food there is really good. We had the salmon kabobs, very tasty, AJ had the burger. He didnít want to go up to dance with the belly dancer, he said I could go if I wanted to.

After lunch we took some pictures for some other guests and they took ours by the fountain, MY fountain which is next to Jakeís door, ha ha. Got the Passport stamped, I ended up having more fun with it than he did. He enjoyed the Kidcot masks better. We then checked out Japan, it was getting really cloudy and then felt a few drops, tropical storm Barry was paying us a visit. We went inside to check the shops, took care of his Passport and then walked towards The Land since we were getting close to our FP time for Soariní. AJ really enjoyed that, lifting his feet up to make sure he didnít hit anything. His favorite part was the golf ball. We then went over to Living with The Land (he didnít like the stormy part of it) and then the Circle of Life movie, which still brings a tear to my eye.

By now it was really raining so we sprinted over to Imagination (or what used to be Imagination). AJ blocked his nose during the Journey ride, so did I, cuz it really stinks! Played a little bit in the ImageWorks playground, boy do I miss the way it used to be. Now itís just....eh. Went to see Honey I Shrunk the Audience since it was still pouring out. He did okay for that one, jumped a few times. Iím not sure where the time went that day, felt as if we didnít do much at all! I think we headed towards Mexico to check out the new additions. I actually enjoyed it, itís not that bad, some stuff was taken out but mostly the Caballeros were just added ďon topĒ if you wish. The Mayan dancers at the very beginning and the vendors are gone, so is the life-size puppet carrousel at the end, the rest is more or less the same. I like this pavilion a lot, always have.

Went over to China for our Nine Dragons Priority Seating at 8h00, had a really nice dinner by the front window so we got to watch Illuminations from where it was warm and dry. We got the Nine Dragons Sampler: Dim Sum - Two Spring Rolls and Two Shao Mai, Shanghai Won Ton Soup, or Hot-and-Sour soup, Honey-Sesame Chicken, General Tso's Chicken, steamed rice, fortune cookies and red bean ice cream or caramel ginger ice cream. The General Tso and Honey Sesame chicken were as good as always, AJ really liked the latter. That night, it must have been later than 9pm, an obnoxious family, who just decided to ignore the CMs sat down at the next table. The manager was trying to explain to them that the section was closed but they didnít care. The lady was very rude and they actually smiled and accommodated her. We felt really bad for our lovely server who had to deal with them...I felt like telling the lady, youíre at Epcot! Chill out! GAWSH. The rain and cold bummed me out too but I wasnít going to take it out on the Nine Dragons staff or anyone else for that matter...Later we strolled down to MouseGears to pick up a couple of hoodies, aaaaah, I felt so much better already. AJ didnít even complain about the rain or that it was chilly, he was a trooper. That about wraps this day up.

Coming up next, Animal Kingdom sprinkled with some Barry.

disney fanatic is offline I don't wanna hurt you, I wanna KISS YOU!
    It sounds like you had a blast, can't wait to read more!

He won't win the MVP or be voted into the Hall of Fame........then again, some heroes don't play games.

Ms.HwithaBSwithaCT

disneydarling is offline ...and the mome raths outgrabe
    we want pictures!!!
    Sisterhood of the traveling pirate in the pants: charter member

A friend will help you mend a broken heart; a best friend will get a shovel and help you dig the hole.

Check out my gallery! Uploaded a few there, my office computer is a lot faster so I might upload more tomorrow.

Conceited Ape is offline 6 out of 7 dwarves aren't happy.
    If AJ wants his gear to be "the right color," he's going to need a lot more distressing on the satchel.

(For the record, the armament in the roosts at the fort are indeed meant to represent 'rifles.' I won't bore anyone with the details of the differences between period weapons, but I was a bit chagrined to read the packaging on that Pirates of The Carribbean action figure declaring that it came "with sword and rifle." Ugh.)

DisneyDreamer13 is offline A good friend gets you out of jail, a great friend wakes up next to you!
    6,976km from Cinderella Castle / 408km from Sleeping Beauty Castle
    Has AJ started bugging you for the next trip yet?
    x FIONA x
    1989 WDW Offsite1990 WDWOffsite1991Offsite/Contemporary1992 EuroDisney Offsite(schooltrip)
    1992 WDW Offsite/GrandFloridian2001 DLP Davy CrocketRanch2008 Offsite villa/Contempoary
    2009DLP Hotel Santa Fe 2010Clearwater/get married/POR
    Sisterhood of the travelling pirate in the pants

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast