Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Trip Reports & Member Reviews Discuss Mickey626's WDW 2K7 Trip Report (Part 5 of 6) in the Vacation Planning forums; DAY 6: SATURDAY, MAY 12TH, [Magic Kingdom]: What better day to end our park touring days than to tour the park that started it all (at WDW, at least): The ...
    Mickey626 is offline B-Ticket Holder

Mickey626's WDW 2K7 Trip Report (Part 5 of 6)

DAY 6: SATURDAY, MAY 12TH, [Magic Kingdom]:
    What better day to end our park touring days than to tour the park that started it all (at WDW, at least): The Magic Kingdom (or Kagic Mingdom as I sometimes like to call it). First though, we had some catching up to do with some good friends who live up in New Hampshire and went to college with Mom and Dad. They decided to plan a surprise trip to the World for their two small children (ages 5 and 7- their first trip to the World too!) They pretended that they were taking their Dad to the airport for a business trip, but then surprised them with their destination before they got on the plane. Anyway, we decided to meet each other for a fun breakfast at the…
    CAPE MAY CAFÉ:
    …home to the best Character Breakfast this side of Crescent Lake! Before going there we walked to the Walt Disney World Swan where they were staying and met them just to the right of the entrance bridge to the Swan lobby (I think that was it…) Our party of 7 was seated quickly, seeing how our reservation was for 7:30 that morning. The buffet of food was both lavish and very tasty. We were treated to fluffy buttermilk biscuits, yogurt with a variety of toppings, Mickey waffles, French toasts, and breakfast meats such as bacon, ham, and sausage. There was also a large assortment of pastries to choose from, including large cinnamon rolls and Danishes. I got a biscuit (McDonald’s has gotten me addicted to them!), some breakfast potatoes, a Mickey waffle or 2, and some sausage. All were very tasty. As we were eating the characters (Minnie, Goofy, Chip, and Dale) eventually came around (we were seated near the back of the restaurant) and we had our time with them. Our friend’s kids loved them (so did I, as usual!) and we got plenty of pictures. What was funny was that Jacob (the 7 year old) was concentrating on eating his breakfast so much that he didn’t want to say hi to the characters! He got into it quickly though and had a great time.
    Towards the end of our meal I started to feel really full (I said the biscuit was good, not good for you) so I went back up to our room. With the impression that I was really going to the bathroom in everybody’s minds, I raced up to our room to plan my surprise for Mom on Mother’s Day. What I planned to do was order a dessert of milk and cookies from In Room Dining and have it delivered to our room just before we returned that night. I called them and said to bring it to our room at 7:00pm, with one catch: we would not be in the room. Unfortunately, it never came. Hmm. Maybe it’s resort policy or something silly like that. Later that night I also realized (at 8:00 when we were waiting for our bus to get back to the Beach Club) that the milk would be mighty warm by the time we got back. My bad. In a way I was sort of glad that it didn’t come. Nobody likes warm milk, even if it does come with cookies. What I’m really wondering is if we got charged for it…I don’t think we did. Anywho, Mom and Dad walked in just as I was ending my short conversation with room service, so they knew something was up. I eventually told them when we were coming back that day. With that out of the way (for good, as it turned out) we set off towards the Magic Kingdom, but to get there we decided to walk through Epcot to the monorail. We hadn’t rode the monorail yet and I just had to hear my favorite “Por favor mantanganse alijado de las puertas,” which roughly translates to “Please maintain yourself away from the doors,” or “Please stand clear of the doors” on the audio track in the monorail. With that in mind we set off, starting with…
    EPCOT, REVISITED:
    Upon getting to Epcot we (again) basked in the quietness and desolateness of the World Showcase, beginning at the United Kingdom and ending at Canada. On the way to Future World we checked out Tinkerbell’s Fairy Garden, which we missed on Tuesday. It just so happened that the Fairy Godmother from Cinderella was out in front of the garden, so we said hi to her.
    When we got to Future World we decided to ride Soarn’ a second (maybe last?!) time. We did this and then headed to the Exit/Entrance area, passing by the numerous families immortalized in marble at the Leave a Legacy area. I think I remember leaving my legacy once at Disney…in the bathroom. As Dad went to “leave his legacy” we noticed that Spaceship Earth was open. This was interesting because I thought it would be closed for renovation (in fact it was only until the 10th), so we all decided to ride it for the last time until it’s big makeover. Goodbye, Jeremy Irons, we shall surely miss thee. After the ride I posed in front of the large pirate ship topiary sculpture thing and then we left the park and boarded the monorail to the…
    MAGIC KINGDOM:
    When we entered the park we headed towards Adventureland, trying very hard to walk slowly through Main Street, USA. After reading about all the little details that were put into the construction of Main Street in my new Imagineering Field Guide to the Magic Kingdom, I realized that it is sad that most people just buzz right through it on the way to the more “popular” attractions. Next time I will really try to “stop and smell the street” and appreciate the time and detail that was put into such a charming land. With this in mind we headed towards Adventureland. On the way there we got our classic photo in front of Cinderella Castle, and I snapped a couple shots of it too.
    After we got our picture, they asked if I’d like a special picture taken of me for the PhotoPass. They said they’d be putting something into my hands…so I let them. What would they put in my hands? Gold? Pixie dust? A pile of poop? No, none of those. This:

I added some borders and stuff to the picture using the PhotoPass application. They put none other than Tinkerbell into my hands!
    When we got to Adventureland we were hot, and as we passed by the tropical Aloha Isle, one thought came to my mind: Dole Whip! To be honest, I had never had a Dole Whip before, but I had heard lots about them. We got a pineapple Dole Whip, and boy was it good! It was just what we needed to refresh our palette in the heat of the afternoon.
    After our treat we headed off to the Caribbean… Pirates of the Caribbean actually! I had only rode the ride once (during the first time we went) and it scared me, mostly because of the then unexpected waterfall drop. This time though was very fun, especially with the new addition of Jack Sparrow and Captain Barbossa. After we got off the ride, I saw a large crowd gathered near the exit.
    MAGICAL MOMENT ALERT:
    I soon realized it was none other than Captain Jack Sparrow’s Pirate Tutorial! Jack’s assistant, Mac, was on hand gathering people up and starting the show, and then Jack Sparrow himself made his “surprise” entrance. This is where the magic comes in. When Jack was picking his four volunteers to become Pirate Apprentices, he chose ME as one of them!
    I don’t know, but I think the fact I was wearing a Pirates t-shirt and Pirates Mickey hat helped. Being at the very front of the crowd against the rope cheering wildly also helped a bit. Haha! Anyway, I got chosen as one of the four volunteers. Note that the other three were much younger than me. Having seen a video podcast of the show before, I knew the routine pretty well and when it came my turn to “fight’ Mac, I was ready. But it wasn’t Mac I fought. When I came up, Jack Sparrow said, “I’ll take this one,” so I fought the Captain himself! The swordfight routine was pretty simple: hit left, hit right, stab, point and say “Look, there’s the governor’s daughter!” and run away. I did it really well and afterwards Mom and Dad said that people in the audience actually commented on how good I was. We got quite a few pictures and a couple videos, but unfortunately no pictures or videos of the actual swordfight with Jack. Oh well. I did get a really awesome Pirate Apprentice certificate though! Supposedly Jack Sparrow is going to come to my aid if anyone picks on me. While that would be cool, I don’t think it will happen.
    I should also add that the Cast Member portraying Captain Jack was actually really talented. It was like Johnny Depp was standing right there next to me!
    After my magical moment I cooled off in the nearby Tiki Statues/Fountains.
    We then ate lunch at the…
    COLUMBIA HARBOUR HOUSE:
    The Columbia Harbour House is nicely themed to Colonial America like the rest of Liberty Square. A downside of it though is that most of the food is fried. You got fried fish and fried chicken as your main entrees. Think Arthur Treachers. There are some healthier options though, such as salads and vegetable chili. The fried food not only looked but also tasted like Arthur Treachers. The fries were better though. Instead of standard fast food fries (long and skinny) they were steak fries (short and fat). Altogether the food was average and the themeing was good. Not the best or the worst place to eat lunch in the Magic Kingdom.
    After Lunch we continued our clockwise journey around the Magic Kingdom, on towards Fantasyland. At Fantasyland we saw Mickey’s Philharmagic again for probably the 3rd or 4th time now (I still love it J) and I also rode It’s A Small World for the first time! Yes, the song is still stuck in my head. It was even before I went on the ride XD (it’s a small world after all, it’s a small world after all, it’s a small world after all, it’s a small, small world….)

Please…for the love of God. Get me off this ride.
    After Fantasyland we went to Mickey’s Toontown Fair, where we toured Mickey’s House. Though we didn’t actually see the big cheese himself (we already saw him our one and only time on Thursday), his house was still cute as always.

Mouse B’Gosh Overalls. Best. Sight gag. Ever.
    After peeking inside County Bounty for a minute, we walked along the path from Toontown to Tomorrowland, admiring the Roy O. Disney train that was leaving the Toontown train station on the way.

When we got to Tomorrowland, we realized that it was just about time for Disney Dreams Come True Parade, so we quickly found a spot right on the curb of Main Street in front of everybody to watch it. Before the parade started I went and got a Mickey sundae (scoop of vanilla ice cream with two chocolate wafers stuck in it for ears ^^,) and tried to keep it under control amidst the intense heat. It was very good. The parade was cool with all the characters in it. I especially liked the retro Mickey float that had the symbolic quote on it “It all started with a Mouse.” I took plenty of pictures.

“I only hope we don’t lose sight of one thing--that it was all started by a mouse,”-Walter Elias Disney
    After the parade we returned to Tomorrowland to actually ride the rides there. First we went on the Carousel of Progress, which has become a cult favorite between Dad and I, as well as many other Disney geeks. I like it because it captures the true personality and vision of Walt Disney. The theme song (There’s A Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow) has become a favorite between Me and my Dad as well. Mom on the other hand doesn’t have quite as much enthusiasm for it as we do. She thinks the whole thing is a bit too old fashioned and hokey. I think it’s charming. After the COP, I saw Stitch (again…remember, he’s my favorite) and then we rode my favorite ride in Tomorrowland: Buzz Lightyear’s Space Ranger Spin (or Astro Blasters in Disneyland). I forget what my score was…I think it was Ranger 1st Class or something like that. Dad ended up buying the expensive $18 on-ride photo of himself. The picture turned out really well actually. After Space Ranger Spin we went to the NEW Monsters Inc. Laugh Floor. There were two problems here that made us not enjoy it: 1.) We had to wait for an excessive amount of time (more than 30 minutes is more than enough for me) and 2.) Like Turtle Talk with Crush, the show was geared towards younger kids. Same technology behind it too. Oh well. Although, also like Turtle Talk, it was really funny, especially Roz. After the show we saw the Dream Along with Mickey stage show in front of the Castle. Afterwards we decided that if there was anything close to going to church or having a religion at Disney World, this was it. Disney has set up its own sort of “religion” with the whole Year of a Million Dreams promotion, something along the lines of “dreams really DO come true if you wish really, really hard!” When the characters in the show asked us to make a wish, I wished I would come back to Disney World again…and Dad wished that he wanted to be a fairy with long blonde hair, just to be funny. Then when some fireworks went off they said that we had made a dream. I think I made a dream once…in the bathroom. Haha. Anyway yes, the whole show was on the corny side, so we just kind of laughed it off instead of regretting that we saw it. With that done our day at the Magic Kingdom was done also. As we walked towards the exit we looked around in the shops in hopes of finding a sweatshirt for me. No luck. It’s kind of hard to find a sweatshirt anywhere in Florida during May. December maybe, but not May. After we exited the Magic Kingdom, we took a boat to…
    DISNEY’S FORT WILDERNESS LODGE AND CAMPGROUND:
    Our purpose for coming to Fort Wilderness was none other than to see the Hoop De Doo Musical Revue: the longest running show in the Walt Disney World Resort. I will note ahead of time that this was entirely Dad’s idea. I only booked it. Although, for some strange reason I couldn’t shake the feeling of general excitement and anticipation as we waited outside Pioneer Hall for half an hour with all the mosquitoes buzzing around us. Maybe it was just to get inside to the air conditioning. Before the show we had a picture taken of us that we knew would eventually be brought to our table to try and buy for some ungodly price, so we tried to look as silly as possible in the picture that they took with THEIR camera. Not ours. Although when they were taking it with our camera, Mom got confused and rolled her eyes instead of looking at the camera. It brings back laughs whenever we look at it now.
    Hahaha, you can’t fool ME with your silly picture schemes! Oh wait…****.
    After we got our picture and waited around the hot, humid, and muggy area outside of Pioneer Hall, we finally went inside to enjoy (YES, ENJOY) the Hoop De Doo Revue. Now without further ado…
    HOOP DE DOO MUSICAL REVUE: 7:15 SHOWING
    Hoop de doo, hoop de doo…the little corny theme song is STILL stuck in my noggin. There are two main aspects to this experience: Food, and the Show. It is basically a dinner theatre. A really hokey dinner theatre. The show was indeed as corny as I had thought it would be, with plenty of singing, dancing, slapstick, and awful jokes. All family friendly too (remember, this is Disney). Although, I couldn’t help just jumping on into the fun and clapping and singing.
    It’s like a giant comfort food in a way. Like a timeless classic. This is the kind of show that Florida residents go to to take their children out for their birthday, or bar mitzvahs, or even anniversaries. It’s the thing to do around there. Our table was up on the balcony overlooking the large crowd of families down below as well as the stage. The viewpoint was great although sometimes the lighting director was in the way. What the show is lacking in is definitely, definitely made for by the FOOD! The food was simply outstanding. Sure, there wasn’t a lot of variety, and sure, there wasn’t any Beef Filet or Soufflés around, but it was really tasty. The food is down home country style, including cornbread with sweet honey butter, green salad, fried chicken, BBQ’d ribs, baked beans, corn on the cob, and strawberry shortcake for dessert. Mom and Dad liked the pitcher of Sangria and I LOVED the fried chicken. It was the best I ever had. I don’t know, maybe it was just because I was really hungry after our long, hot day in the Magic Kingdom, but I thought it was really good. Since then I’ve been trying to recreate it myself using standard Southern Style Buttermilk Fried Chicken recipes (including one from the Pop Century Resort!), but none has come quite as close as what I had there. The ribs were really good too and I actually have a recipe for the rub that is used on them in one of my (3) WDW cookbooks. The shortcake was pretty good. A bit sweet, and I was already stuffed after eating everything else, so I didn’t eat too much of it. At the end of the show each table got a metal washboard to play the heck of out for the finale.
    You have five seconds until your ears spontaneously combust. 5…4….3….
    One complaint (if that’s what it really was) was the overly enthusiastic children sitting behind us. They would shriek and squeal at just about everything at a decibel level that could shatter Plexiglas. It was like they had never heard a joke before. I’m sure it was just a phase, and at least they were having fun!
    After the show (or was it before…I think it was) I bought I Hoop De Doo Revue pin, and then we blundered blindly through the darkness in search of our bus back to the Beach Club. Not finding one, we discovered that a bus going to the Caribbean Beach Resort was also stopping at other resorts…basically any resort that people on the bus needed to go to. After our long journey on that bus we eventually arrived at the Beach Club. I had slept on the bus a lot of the way back and by then my “Magic Meter” was starting to decrease very rapidly, for I knew that this was indeed the end. The next day we’d be leaving.

~~CONTINUED IN PART 6!~~
    Last edited by Mickey626; 06-14-2007 at 07:42 PM.

trickster is offline Hakuna Matata!!... It means no worries!!
    Another great read.... now on to the next one!!
    Rich

"Most of my life I have done what I wanted to do. I have had fun on the job.
    I have never been able to confine that fun to office hours." ~ Walt Disney

lovedisprinces is offline Annual Passholder
    I feel like i know you and were there with you after those
    "L'amour brille sous les étoiles Illuminant leur cœur Sa lumière
    Eclaire à l'infini Un sublime espoir" -so i dont really speak french but would love to would u amour to?

3 times w/i the celebration
    I'm a millionaire who got to the hot seat

Mickey626 is offline B-Ticket Holder
    Quote Originally Posted by lovedisprinces View Post
    I feel like i know you and were there with you after those
    Haha, awesome ^_^ Glad you like it! Sorry about the huge amount of new topics required and the mix up with how many out of 6 etc.

lovedisprinces is offline Annual Passholder
    It wasnt that bad, and at least it wasnt like you were two in one and twenty in the next. Then i would have gotten a little confused reading them out of order thinking "how did he go back in time?"
    "L'amour brille sous les étoiles Illuminant leur cœur Sa lumière
    Eclaire à l'infini Un sublime espoir" -so i dont really speak french but would love to would u amour to?

3 times w/i the celebration
    I'm a millionaire who got to the hot seat