Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Trip Reports & Member Reviews Discuss Trip Report July 20-22 in the Vacation Planning forums; Well, this is the first time I've had an honest to goodness WDW vacation this year, instead of flying in for the day and going back home... We (hubby and ...
    satijp is offline Fastpass Holder

Trip Report July 20-22

Well, this is the first time I've had an honest to goodness WDW vacation this year, instead of flying in for the day and going back home...

We (hubby and 6-year-old) actually flew into Tampa on Thurs to visit with family, watch Harry Potter, and go to one of my favorite restaurants ever (Kobe Steakhouse, and there are 3 or 4 in Orlando too).

Friday a.m. were my niece's swim lessons, then we packed up the Suburban with my mom, 2 nieces (4 and 10 mo.) and the three of us by about 11 am. Had the pleasure of driving in a torrential downpour most of the way across I-4. We arrived at Port Orleans Riverside after lunch time and got checked in. They didn't have the rooms ready, in fact didn't even have them in the area we had requested, but some calling by a very lovely CM had us in very close by rooms in the building I wanted. Then it was off to MGM.

We started off by fast passing ToT, the 4-year-old's favorite... then headed off to Lights!Motors!Action! It was actually a pretty cool show. The baby didn't think so that much though. She fell asleep on my lap by the end of the first scene. Hubby and 6-year-old son really liked it alot, except that it was quite hot and extremely humid after all the rain. (I felt quite at home). We scooted from there over to the backlot tour. Hadn't been since they changed the scenes and I think shortened the ride portion quite a bit. Also, they no longer do the bee scene (which I remember beeing in when I was younger, along with being in the boat before it was Pearl Harbor). By then it was time for Tot. This is when my 6yo decided he loved fast passes. We walked pretty much straight on while standy line was posted at 50min. He's not sure he wants to go on that one again, but 4yo niece wanted to go right back on (sorry, no more fast passes). Mom and hubby were both getting a little overheated, so we got ice cream, FPs for RnR, and headed back to the hotel.

Rooms were close together and "water view," don't fall for this upgrade. We had a VERY obstructed view of one of the little pools from the Magnolia Bend area. But they were a hotel room and nicely decorated, close enough to the main pool and bus stop. By this time it was past 5pm and the little ones were in need of naps (so was I) and it had started raining again. We decided the three of us would head back at 7. My sis and bro in law were due in at 9 so the rest stayed at the rooms.

By 7:45 we actually made it back into the park, grabbed pizza at Toy Story Arcade (got there 5 mins before closing) and the boys played quite a few games. We then hopped on Star Tours, literally, no wait even without FP. This is now 6yo's favorite ride. Our FP for RnR weren't til 9, so we stopped at Great movie ride in the mean time. I don't think I've been on it in 5-6 years. Still pretty good, but about a 20 min wait, one of the longest of the weekend. I don't tihnk I've ever been on the gangster one, always seem to get the outlaw, so that was cool, too. By the time we actuall got off, though, it was about 9:45, park closed at 10 and Fantasmic had just gotten out. We high-tailed it toward RnR, swam upstream against the crowd and got to the ride just before they closed down the line, and just as everyone else was, too. Still with the FP it was only about a 10-15 min wait. Now THIS is 6yo's favorite ride, oh and the first roller coaster he's ever been on.

More to come.....
    Last edited by satijp; 07-28-2007 at 10:52 AM.

flutter is offline Moderator
    great so far, I can't wait to hear more...glad I didn't go for waterview when I stayed there I guess

Love That Duck is offline D-Ticket Holder
    Sounds like Day One at WDW went well! I look forward to reading your report(s) on the rest of your trip.
    ~Jerry & Nancy~

Sept. 3 - Sunrise WEDDING Vow Renewal then Drive to WDW
    Sept. 4-16, 2011 - WDW HONEYMOON:
    Sept 4-9 - Pop Century
    Sept. 10-16 - Caribbean Beach

nicks10 is offline @nick_straka
    Great report so far! Water view doesnt only mean a view of a pool. If you can see the Sassagoula River then it is considered a water view room as well.
    -Nick

"Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow and fantasy"

Quote Originally Posted by nicks10 View Post
    Great report so far! Water view doesnt only mean a view of a pool. If you can see the Sassagoula River then it is considered a water view room as well.
    I was hoping for a river view, but no luck. The entire resort was sold out. Some AAU basketball thing, I think.

Day 2... Saturday - MK

My sis and company like to be up at the crack to be at the rope drop. Being as that we just got in from Denver, we declined and met them at about 10. All we missed was a very wet Splash ride and Buzz. BUT they'd already FPed Buzz so we went right on again with part of the group. Sis founf a 100,000 pt Z, but refused to tell the rest of us where it was. I scored just under 400,000. The 6yo & 4yo had fun at 2300 and 800 respectively. They much rather spin in circles than shoot.

Next we went to Laugh Floor which had almost no wait (after FPing Space). It was pretty funny. They did the Comedy in a Box, and my hubby and 6yo got spotlighted as a "2-headed human" (lap sitting). In case you were wondering, the Eiffel Tower is now in Indy.

Next we TTA'd it before returning to Space Mountain. This was roller coaster #2 for the 6yo. He said it was good, but not as good as RnR. However, he once again raved about the joys of FP. the line was almost outside and we walked to the inside queue, which they only had a line and a holf of on each side. About 5 min wait time, COOL!

Next we headed to the Barnstormer so that almost everybody could ride ('cept the 10 mo. baby and a sitter). On the way, though we got stopped at the face painting. They put this in a very conspicuous location. Good for them, bad for parents. $27 and two face paintings that took a total of 3 mins later, we were off to the short coaster... twice. The seats are very not comfortable, but not a single kid on the ride seemed to mind.

We then headed off to lunch (after FP BTMRR)... Yummy tacos! I'm thinking that even w/o the meat, the kids quesadilla was a good deal with all the toppings you can put on them, but i have to say that the rice and beans were surprisingly good. Hubby said it tasted like school cafeteria tacos, but what can you really do to make them too different, especially mass produced? BTW, I'm not sure if I mentioned that we couldn't do the Dining Plan because of the deal we got on the room, so we only did one sit-down. We did do it last time, and it saved us about $15-20 per person over the course of 2 days.

We took a quick turn on the Railroad, waited about 10 min. for Aladdin's Carpets (because I refuse to wait 60 for Dumbo), did a quick Jungle Cruise (almost no line and we had a pretty witty captain), before heading back to PoR for an afternoon rest. We thought... none of the kids agreed, so we went out to the pool. The slide was a big hit with the older too, and the baby just started swim lessons, so she was lovin' the water. Unfortunately, about an hour in lightning visited and they had to shut the pool down. Funny thing, when we got back to our room the quiet ppol was still filled to capacity with kids (tween to teenaged). Guess they weren't as concerned with the unmonitored pools.

Our rez for Trail End at Ft. Wilderness was for 7:40 so we planned on heading back to MK on the bus then taking the boat over... it would've been much for fun if the sprinkles hadn't turned into honest to goodness rain. So we arrived looking slightly like wet cats... But on the bright side the food was pretty good (pizza was so-so and the chicken legs went WAY too fast), but we really enjoyed ourselves... and stuffed ourselves. It's probably one of the less expensive all-you-care-to-eats.

So as we headed back to the boats, everyone had to stop 5 times to do something... go to the bathroom, press a penny, look in the store, etc. Eventually, the let me in on the secret that they'd gotten a private boat, complete with birthday cake, champagne, snacks and birthday banners to go watch Wishes! I was stoked. Only problem, nobody could find the boat. Disney Birthdays said it was on the way, the bakery couldn't find the boat res to deliver the cake to, and someone said that all boats wree cancelled due to lightning, even though many continued to arrive for the resorts and MK! The guest relations person at FW was very nice in trying to figure out what was happening (sorry I don't remember his name, but much props). In the end, no boat, so they gave us some passes for a future stay and FP for AK the next day, also towels and sweatshirts for the little ones who were now restless, cold and wet. We did stand on the dock and get to see Wiches, and I've got the soundtrack in my car and a good imagination... so I guessed what part they were on. My wonderful bro-in-law went back to the hotel and got the suburban and came and picked us up so we didn't have to make the long boat/bus trip in the rain back. Little silver lining... they did wake us up at about midnight in our hotel room to deliver the cake, which was beautiful.

That wzs the end of that... and hey, they got the cake there just in time for my actual birthday!

One more day... COMING SOON!

butlers is offline Lost in Tenderness!!!!!!
    Just around the riverbend over the cobblestone corner of the high arched castle
    Great report.......
    April 23rd, oh yeah it's gonna be ON!

mini-V is offline Home at last near Mickey!
    It's great that you didn't let the disappointments ruin your day. B'day cake - at any tme of day - is still tasty.
    mini-V What will you celebrate?

Adult daycare for the kid inside you.

Jeff is offline A-Ticket holder
    sounds like your trip was wonderful. can't wait for the next one
    Jeff Davis

Host of "The World In News" on the Character Breakfast Podcast.

Chrissy&Tayen is offline counting down to my vacation
    what a cool trip so far!!! i cant wait to hear more!
    All Star Sports July 2006
    All Star Movies October 2007
    Coronado Spring February 2010
    Pop Century October 2010
    All Star Movies September 2011
    Pop Century September 2012
    Chrissy

Last day, sorry bout the delay. Just got back from the Indy Zoo. Half the FL fam came to visit up here for the week

So Sunday was the finale of the trip... and my b-day. Believe it or not, with an annual pass and 8-10 trips a year, I'd NEVER been to AK. Crazy, I know, but there just always seemed more to do than time to do it in, so we opted to skip out on EPCOT this time.

As soon as we got there (all together, almost first thing in the a.m., holy cow!), we had to go get my b-day button. They actually write your name on it now so I even got personalized greetings (and a fun song by the Everest CM).

We headed straight in toward EE. My 4yo niece is now officially tall enough to ride and got a "yeti" stamp to prove it. Wait was about 20 mins, so we FPed it, got in line (about 15 min wait) and then hopped almost right back on! We LOVED it! I will admit that I am a huge roller coaster fan and will ride them all, however, I aso have very low blood pressure. The backward part almost made me pass out both times... but still tons of fun.

Next, we went and grabbed FP for Dinosaur and hmmm.... what did we do? Bro-in-law wanted to go to Breakfastosaurus, but that takes so long and we'd been stuffing ourselves all weekend. We played some games at the midway. Little ones rode Tricerotop Spin while the big kids did Primeval Whirl. I don't get this ride. It was very jerky, short, and not so much of a thrill ride in my book. I don't get the 48" height limit. Oh well... Then we went back to Dinosaur. After seeing all the behind the scenes stuff I was wowed by the ride vehicles. The story was a little cheesy, but the animaltronics were enough to really freak out the 4yo. She won't be going on that one any time soon.

By then we were all near starving. Tried Flame Tree Barbeque, and not only was the food really good (and the onion rings huge), but the setting is beautiful. We went to an empty pavillion all the way toward the water and watched birds, who kept a safe distance, fish and EE in the background. The CMs were super nice too- help those with multiple kids trailing with carrying trays and so forth.

We let our stomachs settle with It's tough to be a bug. Maybe not the best idea... but it was fun. I knew kinda what to expect and the kids loved it, some of it after the fact, ie wasps and stink bugs. They don't do FP during the week on this one, but still only had a 10 min wait.

Bro-in-law had his fill for the day, besides he comes all the time, and took the baby back home. We did the Safari. Thank goodness for the FP from last night. It was a 170min standby time. I honestly cannot believe anyone would wait this long. It was ok, but nothing that out of the ordinary. Oh well, we waited about 15 mins total and a few of that was that we were waiting on the front seat and one CM didn't realize the other had put us to the side to wait and let another group on. No probs, just waited for the next one. Took some pics for the kids. They really enjoyed it. One thing it did do was make me want to stay at AKL and do the sunrise safari, now that'd be cool!

Last thing we did before leaving was take the train to Rafiki's. Did the petting zoos, kids club and saw Rafiki himself, plus Pocohontas. It was interesting and kept the kids attention. By then we were getting close to 4 and wanted to catch 5 o'clock in between Otown and Tampa.

I have to say all-in-all it was a pretty fun weekend. I learned some things I didn't know before, even though I've probably been about 100 times, and I think that's pretty neat, too. We finished up the trip with a relaxing day at the beach, dodged a few t-storms and got some sun... YAY!!!

Then it was back up to Indy.

I'm trying to plan my next trip. I really want to go bak for MNSSHP, but am going to Vegas and LA around that time, and apparently I'm supposed to work sometimes.... but maybe I'll give DL and CA a try when I'm out west. Haven't been to DL since I was in JrHigh and never been to CA. I must go before the end of the year, though cuz I can't wait to see all the updates, reopenings and new stuff due this fall!

Well that's it for now. Thanks for being a SUPER reading audience.... sorry, I'm a little loopy. Spent 6 hrs at the zoo with the 4yo, 6yo, 10mo old in 96F heat.

Chrissy&Tayen is offline counting down to my vacation
    GOSH YOU ARE BUSY!!!

that sounds like a awesome trip!
    All Star Sports July 2006
    All Star Movies October 2007
    Coronado Spring February 2010
    Pop Century October 2010
    All Star Movies September 2011
    Pop Century September 2012
    Chrissy

butlers is offline Lost in Tenderness!!!!!!
    Just around the riverbend over the cobblestone corner of the high arched castle
    What a wonderful report... And i think it's alright being loopy..
    April 23rd, oh yeah it's gonna be ON!