Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Trip Reports & Member Reviews Discuss Sept 8-12th Free Dining in the Vacation Planning forums; Great report so far Hil! Looks like you missed us by a week! It was our first time enjoying the free dining promotion...wasn't it great?!?! I just put up the ...
    Great report so far Hil! Looks like you missed us by a week! It was our first time enjoying the free dining promotion...wasn't it great?!?! I just put up the first part of my trip report tonight, you'll have to check it out!

hillo is offline Walt Disney World here I come!!!.... again
    I love free dining! I'm glad we got to try all the restaurants that we wouldn't have been able to try any other time. I'll be sure to check out your trip report.

I'm finally updating! I've been busy. I hope I have time to at least get through our meal. (It did last 2 hours, so it may take a while.)

We arrived right before our 3:30 ADR time and waited a couple of minutes for our table. We were seated and given a menu. Our server came for orders, so we all ordered water and my mom ordered tea, my GM got coffee, and my brother, Laura, and I got mint tea. I ordered the iced mint tea, and Laura and Ryan didn't specify if they wanted iced or hot, so we were all given iced. When it came out, Ryan was disappointed because he wanted hot tea. He didn't ask for them to change it though. I didn't like the tea - at all - but the only tea that I have ever liked is Southern sweet iced tea, so you can't really judge the tea by what I think of it. We then ordered our appetizers. Mom, GM, and I ordered the chicken bastilla. Laura and Ryan (ordered the Marrakesh feast) got the harissa soup and beef brewat rolls. (I believe that it was a mistake that Laura got a brewat roll. I thought it only came with the Marrakesh feast. I guess that was just an extra for her.) I loved my chicken bastilla! It was very, very good. Laura kept talking about how good the soup was. I believe everyone else liked theirs.

We ordered our entrees at the same time as the appetizers, but they didn't come out until we had been finished with our appetizers for about 10 minutes. All but Ryan (who got the Marrakesh feast), ordered the Night in Casablanca. It comes with lamb, chicken kebob, seafood bastilla, and rice. Laura was the only one who got it the "normal" way. It was funny to hear our server say that hers was normal. I substituted the rice for couscous. It was a must that I get couscous. My mom is allergic to mushrooms, so she couldn't have the seafood bastilla. My GM was just getting whatever my mom got. They also substituted the rice for couscous. At first, our orders got messed up and the server brought out plates with rice instead of couscous, but he realized the mistake before he even set the food before us. He quickly went back to the kitchen to fix our order. Ryan's meal came with lamb, chicken, and couscous.

When my GM got her food, she made an awful face. She looked so disgusted. She picked at it and ate a couple of bites and claimed she was full. I, however, LOVED the food! I thought it was delicious. I didn't know if I would like the lamb or not, but it ended up being quite good. It was the only thing on my plate that I didn't finish. My mom and Laura also really liked theirs. Ryan thought the couscous was odd, even though I really like it. He didn't comment much on the other food, but he said later that the couscous got better the more he ate it. The only thing is that I would never pay $31.95 for that plate, even though I would love to have it again.

For dessert, the server acted like we had to get the pastries. We couldn't quite understand what he meant. At first, I thought he was saying the pastries were the only thing included on the DDP. We had to ask a couple of times, but we finally cleared everything up. Ryan's meal was supposed to come with the pastries, so he got those anyway. I ordered the bastilla (I had a bastilla with every course, and they were all good!), and everyone else got the mint ice cream and fruit salad. My bastilla was huge! I didn't think I could eat the whole thing, but I did! It was very good. My mom adored the mint ice cream, while I just thought it was ok, because I've never been a fan of mint ice cream with chocolate chips. My brother liked the pastries.

The only problem with the meal was that my water glass took a loooooong time to be refilled. That annoys me in a restaurant, but the service was good otherwise. When dessert arrived, they had just began entertainment. It was enjoyable, but very loud. I would not have wanted to have eaten a whole meal with them playing. The bellydancer was also entertaining. She was very family- friendly. The couch we sat on was incredibly comfortable, but my mom and my GM (for some of the time, so moved for a while) sat in the chairs. The chairs were very hard. They look like that have a cushion, but they don't. They have the same kind of chairs in the lobby. I thought I was about to sit in a comfortable chair, and I was very surprised to find how hard it was. My GM was sitting in the chair beside me, and she felt the same way. My brother walked out of the bathroom, and my GM and I decided we wouldn't warn him about the chair. He plopped down in the chair and made a terrible sighing sound with a look of pain on his face. It was very funny. He said, "You could have warned me!" I then confessed that we had already decided we wanted to see his reaction.

Overall, I thoroughly enjoyed this meal. I would love to come back, but it was a little bit overpriced. Also, it would be too loud if we were eating a little later in the evening.

We were then going to make our way out of the WS and head to MK. I stopped for a little peak in France. It was my first time in the bakery, but of course, I couldn't hold anything else. Laura thought about getting some perfume that was on sale. My mom and I advised her that she may want to wait and shop around for perfume instead of buying it because it was on sale. She didn't buy it. She asked if I liked the sample, but I really couldn't smell it. I feel a little bad about it, but we really didn't have time for her to stand there and decide. I also probably should have tried to smell it harder.

We saw Off Kilter on the stage, but I didn't get to hear them play. As we made our way through FW, Ryan wanted to go to Innoventions, but I told him that either we stayed at Epcot the rest of the night or we left for the MK. It was already after 6 and the MK closed at 9, so we didn't have much time. If he had wanted to stay at Epcot, I would have been fine with it, because we had done everything at MK. I knew that if we spent even 30 minutes (we probably couldn't have pulled my brother out that quickly) we wouldn't have to time to do hardly anthing at MK. We did stop so he could get a few drinks at Club Cool. I quickly stepped into the Art of Disney store for something I had been looking for, but they didn't have it either. (It's Teacup Twirl, with Mickey and Minnie in a teacup, made by Lenox. I found out I could order it online, but they are out of it at the parks.) We then hopped on over to the MK by monorail.

Parfait: $4.04 - 1 SC (I had this for breakfast.)
    Cantina de San Angel: $43.16 - 3 CS
    2 Cloudberry horns - $6.58 - 2 SC
    Restaurant Marrakesh - $280.69 - 5 TS

Next up... our last evening at WDW and the MK.
    - Hillary
    There is more treasure in books than in all the pirate’s loot on Treasure Island.- Walt Disney

It was 6:30pm, and I really wanted to see Dream Along with Mickey. I had seen the end of it last year, but I wanted to see the whole show. The next show would be at 6:40pm. My mom tells me to go ahead and head on before everyone else. It was actually a lot of fun to walk into the park by myself and walk down Main Street and really soak everything in. I even had time to step into a shop. I make it to in front of the castle as soon as the show starts. I was really enjoying it and couldn't believe the the characters eyes blinked and their mouths moved. We had seen an approaching cloud from the monorail and was hoping it would say away for a while. As soon as the segment with the princesses finished, a voice over the speakers announced that due to the safety of the performers, the show would have to stop. I was disappointed, but I understood why they had to do it. The only problem was that was my last chance to catch the show. Hopefully, I can catch the whole show on another trip.

We couldn't decide exactly what we wanted to do first. We planned to do Space Mountain with our return fastpasses. Ryan wanted to do Tomorrowland at night and ride the Jungle Cruise at night. We decided to head to Splash Mountain first. We thought there would be a long line, but it said a 5 minute wait. I then thought it might have been closed for weather. (I didn't know if it closed for weather or not.) It was open, but it looked like they had just reopened it. We were so lucky! We walked right on! It was fun, and I didn't get very wet, which I was very glad about. We had left my GM in Pecos Bill and decided to let her stay there while we went to Tomorrowland because she doesn't ride Space Mountain or Buzz Lightyear. We head to Buzz first and it has a short wait. It then begins to rain. Hard. We decide the best thing to do it get on the TTA since it was covered and I really like it. Space Mountain had its lights on again. We got a slight sprinkle at one point while we were on it, but it wasn't much. We get off and get on Buzz again. The rain lets up a little bit, and I really want a hot fudge sundae, so we go to Auntie Gravity's and Ryan and I split one. It was very good as always. We start to think that we really need to get my GM. The rain has let up some more, so my mom and Laura go to get her. Ryan and I plan to ride Space Mountain. We walk over there and find out that it was struck by lightening and it would be closed for the night. It was disappointing, but I'm glad we got to ride it at least once. We also didn't get to use our return fastpasses, but we never really needed them. We then go ride the tea cups. We had planned to meet everyone at Pirates, so that's where we headed next. By now, it's only a slight drizzle. We get to Pirates and Ryan buys the bag he wanted. He then wants to ride Jungle Cruise. My GM wants to head to the exit before it starts to rain much harder, so she and my mom head toward Main Street.

Ryan, Laura, and I go ride Jungle Cruise. No one else is there! We get a boat all to ourselves! That was so cool! They give us a hard time for wanting to ride Pirates first, but it was having technical difficulties. I explain that we were waiting on my 78 year old grandmother whose birthday is tomorrow, and she was under the covered area at Pirates. One of the JC CMs asked, "Are you serious?" I told her I was telling the truth. It was very funny (especially since I was telling the truth). Another CM gave us a hard time because we had just missed getting on her boat. She was very upset that we missed her boat because we were trying to ride Pirates. The CM we get for our boat was great! The first thing I did when I got on the boat was cross the crates. She said, "You do realize you just broke the first law of the Jungle Cruise." I said I was sorry and felt bad. She asked us if we had ever been on the JC before. My brother answered that we had been many times (except Laura, but we didn't explain that. It was only about her 3rd time.). She said that she would do a special cruise then and show us some special things. Awesome! She did most of the same spiel as we had on Sunday, but she also showed us a hidden mickey on the plane, which I couldn't see, and a hidden Minnie in the temple (which she stopped the boat for). She also told us the most people don't get the '71 impala joke and that one of guys says, "I love disco" (which I had heard about on DWT before but have never heard it, and I still didn't) She said that at about the same time I was going to ask her if it was true. She was a lot of fun. I'm glad we got to do that. Ryan then decided he wanted to go back to Pirates. He asked me to ask if it was still open. I did and they said, "I guess so." So, we were the last and only people on Pirates. We even had to leave from a side door because they had closed the main exit.

We had wanted to see Wishes, but thought they weren't going to show it because of the weather. We caught the finale as we headed toward Main Street through an empty Adventureland. I didn't mind though because I can see Wishes again, but when will I be able to ride JC and Pirates with just my brother and his fiancee again? That was truly amazing! We met up with my mom and GM and shopped our way out. Ryan, Laura, and GM headed back to the room, while my mom and I stayed and shopped a little longer.

Next up.. Downtown Disney and the Grand Floridian Cafe.
    Last edited by hillo; 09-21-2007 at 11:28 PM.
    - Hillary
    There is more treasure in books than in all the pirate’s loot on Treasure Island.- Walt Disney

Total for the hot fudge sundae: $4.04.

We woke up fairly early so we could be at Downtown Disney not long after the shops opened. It was my GM's actual birthday, so she opened a few things my mom had gotten in the parks without her seeing. She really liked them. (My mom and I discovered later that we gave her a mickey glove oven mitt that my mom had bought for me and not my GM, but we won't tell my GM, and I can get it next time we go- which I hope to be for my birthday in November.)

I decided I wanted to try food court breakfast since it was free. I knew it wasn't the best bang for our free bucks, but I don't think we have ever bought breakfast while at Disney, so I wanted to try it. I couldn't decide between the french toast and the pancakes. I then decided I wanted a little bit of chocolate, so I went with the chocolate chip pancakes. (They also cost a little more than the french toast.) My brother wasn't feeling well. He had the beginnings of a cold. I thought that orange juice would do him good, so that was another reason I got the breakfast since it came with two drinks. I thought it came with two drinks, but I asked a CM if it did just to make sure and she pointed to my options. I got apple juice and got Ryan some orange juice. I also refilled my mug with hot chocolate. The hot chocolate wasn't as good this trip as it usually is. I don't know what was wrong. It was hard to carry two juice bottles, a mug, and pancakes, but I managed. I put a little bit of syrup on my pancakes, but they didn't really need it. They were very good! The best pancakes I had had in a long time. I was very pleased. I took the juices back to our room. Ryan was glad for the orange juice, and I enjoyed my apple juice.

We had fun at Downtown Disney. I bought less stuff than I usually do. My mom bought me the light up Cindy Castle from the Disney Days of Christmas store. She wrapped up a paper last year at Christmas saying she would buy it for me. It's so beautiful. I can't wait to display it. Unfortunately, we didn't have a lot of time to shop around because we had lunch reservations at 1:05 at the Grand Floridian Cafe. We also had 12 snack credits, and 4 CS credits left. Ryan got 4 Rosemary chicken with garlic mashed potatoes from WPE to take home. It came with 4 bottled waters and 4 creme brulees. We spent the rest of our snack credits at Goofy's. Ryan, Laura, and I each got 4 things a piece, since my mom and GM didn't care if they used theirs. I ate all my things this past week. They were delicious!!

It was hard to find the guest parking at the GF, so we were 10 minutes late for our ADR. The cafe was only half full, so we were still seated immediately. They didn't say a word about us being late. I was proud that we were early for all our other meals. Our meal was excellent. My mom and Laura especially enjoyed the meal and atmosphere. We all ordered water and my mom got tea. All but Laura got the crabcakes as our appetizers. They were different from Kona's, but probably about the same in quality and taste. I liked the garnishes better at GFC. Laura got French Onion Soup which she really liked. Once again, all but Laura got the Tilapia. It was loved all around the table. The sauce was amazing! I would love to get this again. Laura got a chicken sandwich that she said was good. For dessert, we weren't offered the fondue, but I asked the server about it. He said he thought they might be out, but he would check. They had the fondue, so my mom and I ordered it. My GM and Laura got the hazelnut-chocolate cake, and Ryan got the key lime pie. I know Ryan loved his and Laura liked the hazelnut flavor in hers. My chocolate fondue was only ok, so I ate my fruit and marshmallows and gave the rest to my brother. My mom really liked the fondue. I wish I would have tried the cheesecake, but I would have regretted not trying the fondue. Ryan, Laura, and GM got coffee after their meal. We shopped our way our of the GF.

I didn't leave there completely full for some reason. I ended up eating a creme brulee an hour later. I didn't feel very well an hour or so after that and then didn't feel well all the way home until we got home. I slept most of the way home. I didn't feel well on the way home from my last trip in June either. I think it may have been too many sweets on that last day and then not walking it off. I have no idea. Another thing that came to mind was that I had marshmallows with chocolate both times. I don't know why that would affect me, but I'm going to steer clear of those on the last day of my Disney trips for a while. Also, when I thought about creme brulee for a few days after I got back, I had a sick feeling in my stomach, but the creme brulee had been very good. I didn't like the burnt sugar though. Hopefully, I won't feel sick anymore on trips home. Ryan ate a chicken plate from WPE on the way home. I tasted it, and the chicken was fine, but the potatoes were really good. I ate half of the potatoes on another plate the next day. I tried the chicken again, and it was just chicken. My step-dad ate a plate, and Laura took home the other plate. We had to throw away 2 creme brulees because water got in them in the ice chest. Laura had eaten one on the way home and liked it.

It's hard to choose favorites, but I will do my best.
    Favorite overall meal - Kona. Everything was delicious. Service was great. It came at a perfect part of the day, and we left there stuffed.

Favorite dessert at TS meal - Surprisingly, I believe it to be my bastilla. It was the only dessert I finished. It was an awesome finish to my meal.

Favorite snack - Auntie Gravity's hot fudge sundae. It's a must do for every trip. I absolutely love them. Goofy's goodies come at a close second though. I'm very glad I could take those home with me.

Favorite specialty drink - Bottomless milkshake from WCC. I have been dreaming of that lately.
    Second place goes to the cappuccino smoothie from Kona

Favorite CS meal - Pizzafari. I loved the chicken parmesan sandwich. I will definitely get it again.

Favorite CS dessert - Pecos Bill's peanut butter mousse brownie. It was much better than expected.

Final food costs if paying OOP:
    Mints - SC - $3.73
    Pancakes and juice - 1CS - $11.04
    Goofy's Candy Company - 12 SC - $39.94
    Wolfgang Puck Express - 4 CS - $74.12
    Grand Floridian Cafe - 5 TS - $162. 55 (I didn't know it was possible to spend this much for lunch.)

Our total came to $1298.40. I couldn't believe we ate that much food. That was a great deal! Even if we had paid for the DDP, we would have saved about $480. The only thing to keep in mind is that we never would have paid that much OOP, so I don't think the DDP would ever be worth it to us, especially after they change it.

If you have any questions about where we ate or anything else, feel free to ask me.
    - Hillary

disneycrazy1956 is offline Fastpass Holder
    As before, wonderful trip report!
    Dave
    "I just want it to look like nothing else in the world... and it should be surrounded by a train" -Walt Disney.
    90 CB, 92 DI, 94 CR, 97 FWC, 99 CS, 00 CS, 02 CS, 04 POR, 05 POR, 07 POR, 08 POFQ, 09 POR, 11 POR.

Quote Originally Posted by disneycrazy1956 View Post
    As before, wonderful trip report!
    Dave
    Thank you very much. I'm glad you enjoyed it!
    - Hillary

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12