Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Trip Reports & Member Reviews Discuss Disneydarlings MNSSHP Review and Trip Report in the Vacation Planning forums; I just started a new job as a faculty member at a major University - between getting established and starting work on my tenure package I have been very very ...
    disneydarling is offline ...and the mome raths outgrabe

Disneydarlings MNSSHP Review and Trip Report

I just started a new job as a faculty member at a major University - between getting established and starting work on my tenure package I have been very very very busy - Right now I am smack dab in the middle of four straight weekends that I will have to work (ugh). My two year old has been spending time with Grandma and Grandpa which is great...but we both miss our time together.
    Yesterday morning he climbed in to bed with me (at 5:30...groan), snuggled up and said "Mommy no go bye bye again".....which completely ripped my heart out! So after church and a nap I decided that we needed some hard core quality time so we packed up the Jeep and headed south for an afternoon at the MK (we are about 70 miles north in a little town called Ocala) By the time we got there it was 4pm (unusually bad traffic...had me thinking that perhaps we were in a wave of evacuation from..??). Driving through the front gates I soon discovered that the MK was closing early (7pm) for MNSSHP) drat! In a wave of indulgence I decided to spring for a ticket to the party - We are pass holders and Ri is under 3 so he gets in free plus we've always wanted to go (or at least thats how I justified it)

It was an unusually rainy day for late October - reminicent of a summer afternoon, hot, muggy, and wet! At 5pm the park was relatively empty, no wait for teacups or race cars so we did both. I love me an uncrowded Disney. Being local I normally time my visits for less busy times of the year - and I honestly don't know how ya'll normal vacationers do it - Disney in July and Disney on a thursday in early November are such different places!

The sky was looking very menecing so after the cars we headed over to the CP (my fave) - it was Rileys first time on it and he seemed to get a kick out of it - the best part is that he is still too young to be emberassed when his mom belts out the theme song durning each scene change! We emergged from CP into a typhoon of biblical proportions - with 30 lbs of toddler tucked under my arm I make a mad puddle leaping dash for the TTA. We went around 3 loops before the rain slowed down enough to move on.

Next stop was Petes garage to get Ri's face painted - and yes I know the paint is water soluble, and yes I know it is raining, but a tradition is a tradition - long story short the paint lasted about 10 minutes but he had fun getting it done.

7pm had snuck in between rain storms and MNSSHP was officially under way! We headed towards the HM with a short detour by Dumbo and the Carousel. I don;t want to give too much away but let me just say that the HM is AWESOME! I am a big fan of things staying exactly how they were when I was 5 (and am/was a huge critic of the refurrbed PotC) but the HM was done perfectly - all of the classic elements were left in and everything was enhanced and improved. The colors are sharper, the narration was clearer, and the new scenes...OH MY! The HM has been restored to it's rightful place as my 2nd favorite ride of all time (have yet to find anything that can hold a candle to BTMR). Riley has been on the HM several times but this was the first time he was scared - he went through the whole ride with his head buried in my chest

We went through a couple candy stations on our way to Country Bears - the candy was great (we're talking full sized bags of candy kisses) and the cast members were very in character. After CB and a quick bite to eat at Caseys (were I accidently left my purse - with my ID and credit card and about 400 in cash - which was returned to me by a very honest guest when I realised where I had left it).

At 8:15 we staked out a spot to watch the parade - - the HM float was the best - The three Hitchhiking ghost rode on the float which was flanked by grave diggers who did an awesome percussions routine with their shovels (loud bangs, sparks flying).

By the time the parade wrapped up and the substantial crowds disipated Ri was getting tired and cranky so we decided to head out - on our way down main street we were stopped by balloon makers who made Ri a very elaborate balloon animal in the shape of Goofy (his fave character - he calls WDW "the place with the dog-dog"). They balloonist was great - New York Italian with the personality to match - he made fun of my southern accent and sang us a song whilst he worked on the balloon.

As we were about to head out we were stopped by a cast member who asked if we would like a dream come true (boy oh boy would we ever). Well....Riley got picked to sit on Goofys lap and watch the entire fireworks show from up on top on Mainstreet station (see seperate thread for all the details) - It was the perfect end to the perfect night!

Overall - MNSHHP was done in true Disney style - very well themed and well executed. My main critism (other than the weather) was the crowds - I am sure that they have a certain number of guest that they need to make the books work on an event like that but that many people + rain + darkness = angry pushy chaotic crowds....As we were leaving some of the candy lines were 20+ minutes long - just for a bag of candy!

Still I am sooo glad that we went....it may very well become a family tradition!
    Last edited by disneydarling; 10-22-2007 at 10:24 AM.
    Sisterhood of the traveling pirate in the pants: charter member

A friend will help you mend a broken heart; a best friend will get a shovel and help you dig the hole.

Chrissy&Tayen is offline counting down to my vacation
    AWESOME!! i cant wait to go.. and i'm hopeing and praying for no rain on our night!
    All Star Sports July 2006
    All Star Movies October 2007
    Coronado Spring February 2010
    Pop Century October 2010
    All Star Movies September 2011
    Pop Century September 2012
    Chrissy

BamaJenn is offline Disnerd
    Sounds like you and Ri had a great time! This is exactly what I miss about living in FL (we were Northeast of you in Jackonsville until about 4 months ago when we moved up here to NC)... the whole "wake up and say 'wanna go to WDW?' thing" y'know? Even on days where the weather was as you described it we still had a blast because since we were so close it was all about enjoying our day together and not having to hit everything we like just because it's the only time we'll be there for the next two years on vacation. I loved our Annual Passes for that reason. What a perfect way to get some quality time in with your little one. As a mom to a 19 month old Mickey FREAK I am soooo right there with you on all of this! Nearly had me in tears... yay to you mommy!
    Sometimes all you need is a reminder that out there lies a better place... a better world... a Walt Disney World.
    Visited In: 1983, 1988, 1989 x2, 1991, 1992, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 (passholder), 2007 (x2 x3), 2008, 2009 (x2), 2010, 2011 (x2)
    “Detail is there to make you believe in the reality of the story you’re immersed in.” - Joe Rohde
    Avatar Image Used with Permission from °O°Joe

what time did they let you in on you halloween ticket
    Pop Century October 2010
    Chrissy

Quote Originally Posted by Chrissy&Tayen View Post
    what time did they let you in on you halloween ticket

I have an AP but by the time we got to MK it was after 4 so we just used our party pass to get in

A friend will help you mend a broken heart; a best friend will get a shovel and help you dig the hole.

cool! thats what i'm hopeing for we have dinner at liberty tavern at 5
    Pop Century October 2010
    Chrissy

Tinker Bell is offline DisneyWorldTrivia.com Lifetime Pass
    Great report Meg, got me super excited to see HM again! Glad you got the dream thing, that is awesome, you will never forget that.

butlers is offline Lost in Tenderness!!!!!!
    Just around the riverbend over the cobblestone corner of the high arched castle
    Wonderful day Meg... I'm so glad you and Riley had a wonderful time. And what a great way to end your day
    April 23rd, oh yeah it's gonna be ON!

Quote Originally Posted by BamaJenn View Post
    Sounds like you and Ri had a great time! This is exactly what I miss about living in FL (we were Northeast of you in Jackonsville until about 4 months ago when we moved up here to NC)... the whole "wake up and say 'wanna go to WDW?' thing" y'know? Even on days where the weather was as you described it we still had a blast because since we were so close it was all about enjoying our day together and not having to hit everything we like just because it's the only time we'll be there for the next two years on vacation. I loved our Annual Passes for that reason. What a perfect way to get some quality time in with your little one. As a mom to a 19 month old Mickey FREAK I am soooo right there with you on all of this! Nearly had me in tears... yay to you mommy!
    Awww thanks - WDW is one of the things that makes the heat and mosiquitos that come with living in Florida worth it!

DisneyDreamer13 is offline A good friend gets you out of jail, a great friend wakes up next to you!
    6,976km from Cinderella Castle / 408km from Sleeping Beauty Castle
    Meg, that was a great trip report, alex just asked why i was grinning at the computer, poor kid just doesnt get it yet!!! Riley is having such a great childhood with you as him Mommy, he'll forget the weekends you have to work, but the trip to WDW are bound to be his earliest memories once he's older!
    x FIONA x
    1989 WDW Offsite1990 WDWOffsite1991Offsite/Contemporary1992 EuroDisney Offsite(schooltrip)
    1992 WDW Offsite/GrandFloridian2001 DLP Davy CrocketRanch2008 Offsite villa/Contempoary
    2009DLP Hotel Santa Fe 2010Clearwater/get married/POR
    Sisterhood of the travelling pirate in the pants

Finally got a pic off my phone

Tinker Bell is offline DisneyWorldTrivia.com Lifetime Pass
    So sweet!

BamaJenn is offline Disnerd
    Ohhhh how cool!! Look how happy he is! That's awesome!!
    Sometimes all you need is a reminder that out there lies a better place... a better world... a Walt Disney World.
    Visited In: 1983, 1988, 1989 x2, 1991, 1992, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 (passholder), 2007 (x2 x3), 2008, 2009 (x2), 2010, 2011 (x2)
    “Detail is there to make you believe in the reality of the story you’re immersed in.” - Joe Rohde
    Avatar Image Used with Permission from °O°Joe

DisneyDreamer13 is offline A good friend gets you out of jail, a great friend wakes up next to you!
    6,976km from Cinderella Castle / 408km from Sleeping Beauty Castle
    Goofy is so lucky to have had the honour to share the fireworks with Riley.
    x FIONA x
    1989 WDW Offsite1990 WDWOffsite1991Offsite/Contemporary1992 EuroDisney Offsite(schooltrip)
    1992 WDW Offsite/GrandFloridian2001 DLP Davy CrocketRanch2008 Offsite villa/Contempoary
    2009DLP Hotel Santa Fe 2010Clearwater/get married/POR
    Sisterhood of the travelling pirate in the pants