Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Trip Reports & Member Reviews Discuss Two Sisters, No Kids or Husbands, and Lots of Stacey! in the Vacation Planning forums; Soarin Perfume - Loving it!...
    disneydarling is offline ...and the mome raths outgrabe
    Soarin Perfume - Loving it!
    Sisterhood of the traveling pirate in the pants: charter member

A friend will help you mend a broken heart; a best friend will get a shovel and help you dig the hole.

echoscot is offline D-Ticket Holder
    Wow, this trip report is wonderful. I grew up in Orlando and worked there many many years and still am all sentimental reading your report.

And I here is my one criticism. You are right. You should NOT have given up after one audition. You should have been persistent. When I was 16, my Dad took me to the Casting Center which at that time was in a trailer off of Reams Rd behind the Magic Kingdom. I didn't have a social security card, so the CM there said he would hold a position for me and to call when I got my card and he would process me. Well, I go my Social Security card and before I made it back to the Casting Center, a friend told me about character auditions at the Junior Achievement Center downtown Orlando. I went there, not knowing a thing about dancing or auditioning. I was dressed for an interview, shirt tie and slacks. They taught us some simple movement combinations (fortunately very simple so I picked up quickly) and I just had a blast. I got hired into the Magic Kingdom Character department, I guess cause they figured if I could move in that interview outfit I could move in a costume.

If you had been persistent, you would have had the time of your life. If you love DIsney working there doesn't kill it, but enhances it tremendously.

Otherwise, I am so glad you shared this and can't wait to read more.

AllieBee is offline D-Ticket Holder
    Quote Originally Posted by butlers View Post
    What an awesome report.... And glad your wait at Dulles went smoothly....
    From one Washatonian to another
    Yay for Washingtonians! Where do you live? I'm in Fairfax, VA!

Quote Originally Posted by ChipNDale View Post
    Thank you so much for sharing your trip report with us. I am loving every second and just like you I too cry in Disney. But it more so happens to me when I am watching the firework displays... They alwasy get me for some reason!
    Oh, just you wait! The fireworks, I was a mess!

Thanks so much for reading along!
    October, 2003 - Wilderness Lodge
    January, 2006 - Disney Magic
    January, 2007 - Windsor Hills Resort
    October, 2007 - Bonnet Creek Resort
    January, 2008 - Disney Magic
    January, 2010 - Windsor Hills Resort
    January 28-February 5, 2011 - Windsor Hills Resort
    January 12-January 15, 2012 - Windsor Hills Resort
    January 28 -January 31, 2012 - Pop Century

Read my pre-trip report!
    http://www.wdwradio.com/forums/trip-...ip-report.html

Quote Originally Posted by echoscot View Post
    Wow, this trip report is wonderful. I grew up in Orlando and worked there many many years and still am all sentimental reading your report.

And I here is my one criticism. You are right. You should NOT have given up after one audition. You should have been persistent. When I was 16, my Dad took me to the Casting Center which at that time was in a trailer off of Reams Rd behind the Magic Kingdom. I didn't have a social security card, so the CM there said he would hold a position for me and to call when I got my card and he would process me. Well, I go my Social Security card and before I made it back to the Casting Center, a friend told me about character auditions at the Junior Achievement Center downtown Orlando. I went there, not knowing a thing about dancing or auditioning. I was dressed for an interview, shirt tie and slacks. They taught us some simple movement combinations (fortunately very simple so I picked up quickly) and I just had a blast. I got hired into the Magic Kingdom Character department, I guess cause they figured if I could move in that interview outfit I could move in a costume.

If you had been persistent, you would have had the time of your life. If you love DIsney working there doesn't kill it, but enhances it tremendously.

Otherwise, I am so glad you shared this and can't wait to read more.
    Thanks so much for sharing your experience with me! I know, I know, it was so stupid of me not to keep at it. I had heard that at certain open-calls they hired for particular shows and particular body types, but they wouldn't necessarily let people know that ahead of time. A few other girls at the auditions noticed that they were only calling back really tall, long-legged women. Being 5'2" and a little curvy, I was definitely not in that category. Ah well. Life went in a lot of other wonderful directions! But it's great to hear another perspective, and I fully accept your scolding! 14 years and many pounds later, it's too late for me, but I still love seeing all the dancers performing at WDW!

Read my pre-trip report!

Cinderella2 is offline Thrilled to know there are others who sparkle!
    I was totally jumping up and down while reading your Epcot post! I have never been able to make a rope drop. You better bet I will now make all of them from now on!!!!!
    Reading things like this totally restores your faith in humankind. I wanted to hug everyone you came in contact with on that day! Especially the little old ladies! For now I will just have to hug my customers across the counter. Well, maybe not all of them.
    Dreams Really Do Come True

Quote Originally Posted by Cinderella2 View Post
    I was totally jumping up and down while reading your Epcot post! I have never been able to make a rope drop. You better bet I will now make all of them from now on!!!!!
    Reading things like this totally restores your faith in humankind. I wanted to hug everyone you came in contact with on that day! Especially the little old ladies! For now I will just have to hug my customers across the counter. Well, maybe not all of them.
    You put such a smile on my face! Thanks so much for reading my long, long report! I'm enjoying writing it so much and it warms my heart to know that you all are enjoying it.

Read my pre-trip report!

Day 2, Part 2, we are so late for lunch!

So, in spite of our lateness, we did try to enjoy the Living With the Land ride. Itís cute and enjoyable, I especially love the little pumpkins growing into Mickey shapes and also the Cinderella pumpkins, so sweet.

So we jumped out of the boat and werenít sure what to do. I figured we should enlist the help of a CM somewhere, so we ran over to the Garden Terrace restaurant. There were 3 CMís standing at the entrance and one of them listened to our story and was SO wonderfully helpful. She said not to worry and then called over there and explained what happened. They said no problem, come right over, and they could seat us. We thanked the CM about 100 times and raced off.

At this point, my sister turned psycho and decided that we needed to RUN though Epcot. For those of you who have been there, you know itís pretty far from The Land over to Morocco, and I was not about to run. I was happy to walk fast, but my blisters were already hurting and it was really hot and humid, and I just wasnít having it. I was grateful that they were holding our ADR, but the difference between running and walking wasnít going to make much difference at that point. Itís not like they said, ďTell them to RUN!Ē So Steph and I got into a little bit of a tiff and she ended up taking off running and I refused to run behind her, so I got a little bratty and totally slowed down on purpose. She looked back a few times and then got annoyed with me and kept running.

Anyway, enough sister-drama. I walked and enjoyed the scenery and arrived at the desk at Morocco approximately 2 minutes after my sweating, out-of-breath sister. We agreed to let it go (that right there is the beauty of traveling with your sister!) and apologized profusely to the CMís there and got seated right away. OK, hereís the funny thing, it was about 12:25pm, and there was LITERALLY one other group of people sitting in there. This gorgeous, enormous restaurant and we were the only other people in there! I guess we shouldnít have worried too much about our ADR.

The servers were great, very attentive and all cuter than the next, but the food took forever to come out. Like I said, considering there was no one else there yet, it took at least 15-20 minutes to get our food. I didnít mind sitting and relaxing, but we had a lot to still do in Epcot! Chop, chop people! So the food finally arrived and it was YUM! We both got something called Sultanís Feast Sampler. Steph got hers with beef and I got mine with chicken and we each gave each other Ĺ of our kabobs. The rest was identical.

As soon as our food came, two men came out and played music and out came a belly dancer! She was really pretty and a very good dancer. A few more people had come in while we were waiting for our food, but she was having a tough time drumming up audience participation.

We finished lunch and headed out, it was really, really good. We just started making our way around the World Showcase. There were lots of extra things going on because of the Food and Wine Festival. In front of the America area, there was a whole exhibit on pears. Yes, pears. It was cute actually, see?

A little further down we saw a dance troupe from Turkey so we stopped and watched them for a while. They were wonderful:

We then headed into China and looked all around, then Steph decided that she wanted to see the Circlevision movie there. I hadnít seen any of them in ages, and I had heard that they had redone the China movie not too long ago, so in we went. I loved it! I love seeing places that Iíve never traveled to, and I love learning about cultures. I was struck by just how enormous and diverse China is, really incredible.

After China, we walked into Norway and got a FP for Maelstrom. The standby time was 30 minutes, forget it! At that point Stephie decided she needed a churro, she was a woman on a mission! She thought she remembered a churro cart somewhere but we couldnít find it anywhere. Then we realized they sold them at Cantina de San Angel so she was a very happy camper. I took a picture to capture the moment:

Churro in hand, we made our way over to the Mexico building. Itís my FAVORITE! I just love how cool and dark it is, I could spend all day in there. Somehow Iíve never gotten to eat in there before, I would really like to someday. But the real order of business was the new Mexico ride! I was so excited to see what they had done with it since the old Mexico ride is one of my favorites. I donít know why, I just love it. So we went, there was more of a wait than Iíve ever seen, maybe 10 minutes. Unheard of for the Mexico ride! Anyway, the ride was adorable, love the addition of the Three Caballeros. My sister and I watched that movie so many times when we were little, so we were singing along the whole way, so fun!

On the way back to Norway to use our FPís, we had a little time to kill and now my sweet tooth was calling me. So we headed into the bakery in Norway and then I remembered. SCHOOL BREAD! I had never had it before, but it has been discussed on many of the WDW forums Iíve haunted, so I knew we had to try it. Oh, my, word, it was incredible! Seriously, Stephie and I fought over that thing. I want to go back to Epcot right now, just for the School Bread!

Then it was time hop onto Maelstrom. The standby wait was now 40 minutes, and then FP line was literally a walk on. We just walked through the queue and onto a boat, excellent! The Maelstrom is silly but cute, and for a change we decided to stay for the movie at the end. Usually me and whoever Iím with just walk through the theater and leave. The film is good, a little random, but good.

**OK, please donít judge me for what happened next. You might think Iím really selfish, and maybe if I had to do it all over again I would have done it differently, but we got the opportunity and took it. So please, no flames.**

Then something really, really, really cool happened. We were walking out of Norway and a man and woman stopped us and told us that they were leaving (it was raining at that point, didnít I mention?) and they hadnít used their Fast Passes for Soariní and would we like them. We were so excited! We thanked them and thanked them. If we wanted to use them we had to get going back over to Future World. We had a little time but it was time to get over that way. So we walked over and passed by a special area set up for Peru. My daughterís daycare provider is from Peru and sheís so wonderful, so I took these pictures for her!

We stopped at their Food and Wine kiosk and shared a little potato tart with crab salad. It was spicy but really good.

It was time to use our gifted FPís for Soariní. Like I said, I know I should have given them to someone else who hadnít been on it twice already that day, and I feel bad having gone 3 times with no wait. Was that a bad thing to have done? Would you have felt bad about going 3 times when FPís ran out and the standby wait was so long? I almost didnít add this part into the Trip Report, I donít want you to hate me!

Anyway, we went again, this time we sat in the 3rd row and I had the lovely misfortune of sitting next to 3 high school boys who had to make sarcastic (unfunny) jokes at the top of their voices the whole time. Ah well, 1 out of 3 times without distractions is better than nothing, I guess.

After Soariní we walked over to Journey Into Imagination With Figment. The line was only about 5 minutes and we were off with Figment! Silly, but very cute. Afterwards we really wanted to make one of those goofy postcards that you can e-mail to people, so we waited for a while for an available booth and then made our postcard. We laughed hysterically while we did it, really weíre so immature together sometimes. Hereís what we came up with.

We sent it to our husbands and our parents, and we were on our way. J

Next installment: How many fishing villages can see in one day? And Stephie sings a song.

Read my pre-trip report!

disneydarling is offline ...and the mome raths outgrabe
    You were not being selfish silly Lady..you were just lucky! I'm sure that you have waited in many many lines in your time. And now you can pay it forward in the future!
    Sisterhood of the traveling pirate in the pants: charter member

A friend will help you mend a broken heart; a best friend will get a shovel and help you dig the hole.

Well put Miss Meg. I was thinking the exact same thing. I can't wait to log back in later when I can see the pictures. I am sure they are great. I can't wait to see the churro!

mini-V is offline Home at last near Mickey!
    If you had TALKED the people out of their FP, THEN we'd consider a reprimand. My daughter and I made one of those silly pics the last time we were there. I even used the big lips! I've never heard of the school bread in Norway...and never heard about it when I was IN Norway this summer. What's wrong with me! I am growing so eager to take my turn at WDW after reading your reports. I gotta do a rope drop at some point. I'm glad you were willing to share your experience with applying for a job at WDW since I'm going to apply for a job at WDW next summer. If I don't get hired, I'll know not to let the one rejection detour me from my goal.
    mini-V What will you celebrate?

Adult daycare for the kid inside you.

Lovin' the llama pic! At least it looked like a llama.
    Your pics are so crisp. Those parade pics were phenomenal.

Quote Originally Posted by disneydarling View Post
    You were not being selfish silly Lady..you were just lucky! I'm sure that you have waited in many many lines in your time. And now you can pay it forward in the future!
    Aw, well thanks for letting me off the hook! And I will pay it forward for sure, I always do! Whenever we go to Chuck E Cheese I always give all our tickets to other kids b/c my daughter could care less!

Well put Miss Meg. I was thinking the exact same thing. I can't wait to log back in later when I can see the pictures. I am sure they are great. I can't wait to see the churro!
    Oops, sorry, no churro picture! Just my sister waiting for one. I missed that one, didn't I? Eesh.

Quote Originally Posted by mini-V View Post
    If you had TALKED the people out of their FP, THEN we'd consider a reprimand. My daughter and I made one of those silly pics the last time we were there. I even used the big lips! I've never heard of the school bread in Norway...and never heard about it when I was IN Norway this summer. What's wrong with me! I am growing so eager to take my turn at WDW after reading your reports. I gotta do a rope drop at some point. I'm glad you were willing to share your experience with applying for a job at WDW since I'm going to apply for a job at WDW next summer. If I don't get hired, I'll know not to let the one rejection detour me from my goal.
    Ooh, best of luck trying out for Disney! I hope you'll keep us updated.

Lovin' the llama pic! At least it looked like a llama.
    Your pics are so crisp. Those parade pics were phenomenal.
    Thank you, I love my camera! It's fairly new, it's a Fuji Finepix F30, but they have newer ones already. I love everything about that camera, it's awesome.

Read my pre-trip report!

Thanks for letting me know what kind of camera you have. I keep trying to be in the market for a new one.

butlers is offline Lost in Tenderness!!!!!!
    Just around the riverbend over the cobblestone corner of the high arched castle
    Quote Originally Posted by AllieBee View Post
    Yay for Washingtonians! Where do you live? I'm in Fairfax, VA!
    I'm in Fairfax as well... What a small world....I've probably passed you and had no idea, LOL
    April 23rd, oh yeah it's gonna be ON!

Wow, I've been away wayyyyy too long. I'm sorry I left a big gap in my TR, so here's some more!

Day 2, Part 2 – Epcot

OK, so where were we? We just left the Imagination Pavilion and I decided to show my sister Club Cool, where they have all the sodas from around the world that are free to taste. I love that place! We tried all of them, I definitely liked the Ginger Ale the best, it just tasted like ginger ale! And yes, we did try the Beverly, I didn’t think it was nearly as bad as people have made it out to be. Sure, it was bitter, but not bad at all. Stephie agreed with me, for once. (Hee hee)

We left Club Cool and found that it was finally raining hard outside. We had prepared and brought rain ponchos from home so that we didn’t have to buy overpriced Mickey ponchos inside the parks. Stephie put hers on but I just didn’t feel like it so I just got wet and dealt with it. We sloshed our way over to Canada to look around. It’s so beautiful over there, I really love it. We decided to stay for the Canada movie, and with the rain coming down as hard as it was, a lot of other people seemed to think so too! We had about a 10 minute wait before the next movie, so we sat in the waiting area and called home to check in. I normally wouldn’t call so often, but my DD was spending 2 nights at my mom’s house and then my DH was going to pick her up sometime on Saturday, and I just wanted to make sure the transition was smooth. I know, I’m a first time mom, I worry about everything! But things were just fine and dandy at home, my daughter hadn’t even asked about me! This did not hurt my feelings at all, I would much rather her not miss me while I’m gone.

Anyway, the Canadian CM got on the microphone and played some Q and A games with us all about Canada. She was really cute. She asked who knew the name of the Canadian National Anthem and everyone said, “O Canada.” Then she asked who could sing it and everyone in there, at least 50 of us, all sang, “O Canada…” and then nothing! It was so funny. Hey, at least we got the name right!

We were let in and the film started. It was excellent. The song at the end has been updated and is now sung by last year’s winner of Canadian Idol. She’s got a beautiful voice, and I love how the song is sung in Ĺ English and Ĺ French. I would love a copy of this music! I really enjoyed the film, but it occurred to me that between California (Soarin’), China, Norway, and Canada, we had seen enough snowy mountains, castles, panoramic shots of diverse peoples, and quaint fishing villages to last me for quite a long time! They’ve all got ‘em!

On our way out of Canada I stopped and bought some cheese soup at Canada’s F&W kiosk. Oh my, is that heavenly! I could have just used a straw! That warmed up our bellies and we moved on to England and just took a little walk around. Then we went over to France and Stephie wanted to see Impressions of France. Well heck, why not, we’ve seen every other movie in the parks! So we went in and sat for a little bit, I love that we were able to sit for this movie, as the 360 Circlevision movies only have rails to lean on. It felt good to sit for a while. I was wearing sneakers this day but my feet were still killing me. The French CM that introduced the film came out and spoke for a few minutes, but it was really hard to understand him, his accent was very thick. He said that we couldn’t start the film unless someone would come up and sing a song in French. A few girls raised their hands but when the CM called them they wouldn’t come up. Come on, people! Don’t raise your hands unless you’re going to come up. These same silly pre-teen girls were then trying to pull each other’s hands up to volunteer them, it got very annoying. Finally my sister was like, “oh forget this” and her hand shot up in the air! Her husband, my BIL, is from Montreal so she knows lots of kid’s songs in French (my niece and nephew are bilingual). So up she went, and everyone clapped! I think the rest of the audience was annoyed with the giggling girls, too. Steph sang a very nice French lullabye that I’ve never heard before and don’t know the name of, but she did a great job and everyone clapped again for her!

Then we finally got to watch the film. I LOVE the music from this film, it’s gorgeous. It’s on a CD that I have so I’ve heard this music many, many times before, but watching the film just makes it all the more beautiful. And yes, there were snowy mountains and quaint fishing villages, too. And castles.

We headed out of there and decided to stop at a few kiosks for dinner. It was getting close to 8pm and we wanted to do a few more things before Illuminations. We got FP’s for Maelstrom one more time, just because we could, and then went to get some grub.
    Steph got some food at the Polish kiosk, some pierogi and sausage, she said it was really good. Then she got some spaetzle at the Germany kiosk and loved that too. I had already eaten the cheese soup so I just got some food at the Mexican kiosk called chilaquiles. Oh my, it was amazing, I could have eaten a full order of that instead of a tiny bite. We ducked into the Mexico pavilion and bought a little gift for my friend who gave us the time-share at Bonnet Creek. It was a painted ceramic frog that she could use on her desk at work. She’s an ESOL teacher so she loves having international things around her, and this definitely had a Mexican look to it.

Because we were there and there was no wait, we jumped back on the new Mexico ride, Gran Fiesta. I took a bunch of pictures this time, but with the low light, a lot of them are blurry. Here are some:

I took a lot more, but you get the idea!

Read my pre-trip report!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast