Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Trip Reports & Member Reviews Discuss SnwhtNdwrfs' Thanksgiving Trip to WDW!!! in the Vacation Planning forums; like the idea of a Pre-report to annoy people and to keep me focused. So here it is. My Pre-Report. It all began one year ago when we were driving ...
    SnwhtNdwrfs is offline Dancing with the dwarfs!
    Being entertained by the voices in my head

SnwhtNdwrfs' Thanksgiving Trip to WDW!!!

like the idea of a Pre-report to annoy people and to keep me focused. So here it is. My Pre-Report.

It all began one year ago when we were driving to church and Mr. Snow said, "I sure wish we could take the kids to WDW." Well, I took that as a chance to go and see what we could do. So I got online and discovered that by using the Family Suites at All Star Music, we could afford to go! So I booked it. Then asked for permission. It works well that way with him. So I was really, really excited but that was so long away... how would I ever make it.

Cast of Characters:

Mr. Snow- hubby, daddy, driver of the cars
    SnwhtNdwrfs- mom extraordinary and plan maker
    Tinkerball- 14 year old daughter who LOVES Disney
    Goofball- 11 year old son who loves Goofy and laughing
    The Boys- our younger two little guys ages 6 and 5 who have never been before
    The Rest of the Crew- my mom, her husband , and my mom's twin sister
    Making special appearances as work allows: my brother who lives in Orlando, and who ever else we might meet up with at WDW.

We normally have off a week for Thanksgiving so when we decided to go, we thought we would have all that week off. But they changed it this year and the kids will miss 3 days of school. Well, three days is better than 5 or more so we decided they could just miss those days and we would deal with it as the time arrived.

Since we are a family of 6 options for families of this size are weak so we thought we would try out the family suites. The idea of two bathrooms with a teenage daughter was WONDERFUL plus we can save some money with having a fridge and microwave in the room. So we are looking forward to going there at this point. I had stayed at All Star Music for a night or two last December so I knew the kids would like the pool and the food court.

As we began our plan, we started to talk with Nessie and Lindsay and they were thinking about coming along! What fun to see them again and to be able to meet the crew. But that was before a lot of things happened and as it seems now, I know Linds can't make it and not sure if Nessie still wants to....she would enjoy my crew! If she survives that it!

Anyway, we had this reservation going for many months and just moved along not really thinking about the trip too much except as something in the far future. But somewhere around 199 days, I started to think about lunch and dinner and all. We had decided if we are staying on property, might as well do the dining plan. After all, it is a good deal for the amount of food you get and with our crew, it might feed us all. These kids can eat!!! So it would be cheaper in the long run. So I started making plans.

Now, I love to make plans. I love to think about going to Disney and travelling and all. Somewhere around 180 days out, we also discovered a bunch of things. Like, it might not be too fun to spend two day travelling with my mom's crew and 4 kids. We were just messing around online with flights. The first couple of flights would have cost $3000 for us all. No way that's gonna happen. Mr. Snow even had me look up how much it would cost to go Greyhound. I said, sure, you go Greyhound with 4 kids---I'll fly or drive and see you there! It would have been about $2400 and would take a minimum of 36 hours. Now can you imagine 4 active, aruging kids on a bus for 3 days? No way that was going to happen!

But as I kept looking, I found a great, great rate where we could fly one way for $99 and back for $199! We could actually afford that, take Magical Express and not have to worry!!!! So luckily, Mr. Snow saw the brillance of this idea. For $1800, we can all fly. With gas prices horrible, time, and hotel, and food it was going to cost $1500 for that part so it really wasn't that much more!!! I WAS THRILLED. And a 3 hour flight would be so much better than 2 days in a car!

So flight was set and the excitement was beginning to build.

Now, as I said, I was beginning to make plan for Thanksgiving. Usually, my brother pays for it but I was the one making the reservations. Anyway, I did let him decide where we were to eat and he named "Cinderella's, " "1900 Park Fare", and ...well one other that I can remember. Since TinkerBall really wanted to eat at the Castle, it would be a chance to make two people happy. But with a group as big as ours, we could only get a 9 p.m. sitting. YUCK but oh well! It will mean we will finish up just at the time Wishes occurs since the parks are open really late that night.

So the Thanksgiving meal is on me this year and we are eating at the Castle. Nice.

Now, I made a lot of reservations, some where huge parties and very few were with only our immediate family. So it is interesting. I have a bunch of reservations that I may need to change toward the end because they are for a group of 11 and only 8 of us will be there.....but it will only be to reduce the numbers. Anyway....that is something I need to do later. I have two that were prepaid and now I know someone isn't going since he will be spending time in another country serving our country but that is a separate issue and we dont' need to really include it here.....

So I have reservations of Le Cellier, Garden Grill, Hoop Dee Doo Revue, Sci Fi, 50's Prime Time, OHana's, Boma, the Castle, and Coral Reef. Ah- that is a lot of food but I am looking forward to it all!

Meanwhile, as I was looking at menus at allearsnet.com, I saw that there was Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party. Now I really didn't think that it would be possible- and there were not any dates during the time we were going but wait. What is that? What did that say? There is a party the night before we are planning on being there??? No???Can't be! But Wait----as I check the calendar----yes! There is one? Can we go? Can we go? Can we go? After all, we are saving a day by flying. Now as I typed that, I realize I did put something out of order. We were still driving by this time. Because I told Mr. Snow we would have to miss one more day of school and he didn't want to go. So that is when I started looking at flights. Anyway. We did get the flights and we are going to spend on more night so that our kids can experience Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party. Imagine that being your first introduction to the Magic Kingdom! How fun!!!

So this part is true up to this point. We are going during Thanksgiving week 2007, staying at All Star Music- Value Suites, using the dining plan at the restaurants listed above, and experiencing Mickey's Very Merry Christmas party and flying. Let the games and countdowns begin!

Now, with the extra day come the decision on where to stay that extra night. We knew we wanted to stay on property and adding an additional night at All Stars was not an option since it wasn't available. So, We first made reservations for a junior suite at Coronado Springs. But as other plans fell through I thought about what my family would like. Now Coronado Springs is beautiful and I think the pool is great but was there something else out there that I could spoil my family with? Grand Floridian was too expensive, Polynesian was full and I am not the biggest fan of the Contemporary but that was still an option. Wow- Animal Kingdom would be cool but we would have to get two rooms. I finally found out that Wilderness Lodge had a junior suite available for that night. Now, WL is my favorite. I love the theming and it brings back memories of camping as a child without actually having to camp. That is an added plus right there! So I made the reservation for WL at a junior suite for that night. Then we would move over to All Stars the next day. I added a reservation for Whispering Canyon for breakfast that Saturday morning and dinner at Artist Point for Friday night before the Christmas party. My excitement was growing and growing but I was finding, the planning was pretty much done. And I was about 120 days out. ....... surely there is something else I could do!!!! Well, there was. The airline changed our flight.

We had scheduled our flight to where we could drive to Dallas that morning then fly from there. However, the airline decided for some weird reason that that wouldn't work for them so they moved us to a 7 a.m. flight. Does anyone see an issue with this? I am not a morning person and even with loving WDW and all, I dont want to get up at 2:30 in the morning, drive, then wait on a morning flight.

Luckily, Mr. Snow feels the same way and we decided to get a hotel room. We have spent quite a chunk at this point so we wanted to go fairly cheap. We looked at all sorts of things and decided one of the most important things was probably an indoor pool. It would give the kids something to do that night, wouldn't cost extra, and then we can wear them out, they can sleep, and we can get up in the morning and just go. So we finally found a hotel that didn't have any bad reviews concerning bed bugs and had an indoor pool.

I will have to let you know if it is a dump after we actually get there. So we added the hotel in Dallas to our trip and now we have to leave after school on Thursday. This is probably a good thing though. We can go and get in around lunch time, eat, check in, check out the hotel, possibly swim again, rest a bit before dinner at Artist Point before we go to Mickey's Very Merry Christmas party. Or at least that is the plan for now.

At this point, I am almost completely packed. It was a little bit here and a little bit there. Sure, the packing actually started before school started but that is beside the point. Back to school sales are wonderful! Anyway, the boys are all packed but for the extra pair of shoes they will be using this week. I am pretty much packed. Mr. Snow finally packed THIS PAST WEEKEND. Tinkerball has been packing slowly but I know I need to double check her bags before Wednesday.

We cashed in our coins and that was enough for the Mousekeeping and Bell Service tips. Just a bit excited about all of it now. In looking at all of my checklists, we are very, very, very close to being finished. Pretty pumped about it. It has been a really long year and a longer semester this year. So I am really ready for this trip.

I can't wait to have some quiet time with my family before my mom and her crew arrive. I can't wait to see my boys eyes when they walk down Main Street! I am so excited!!!! Only a few more days until I can pack up the car, we can drive out of here and fly on to WDW! SO MUCH FUN!

vixen101485 is offline Queen of the Swaps, bow before me
    Welcome to the looney bin Snow. Sounds like you are going to have fun fun fun.

I added you to the pre-trip thread list
    Last edited by vixen101485; 11-11-2007 at 11:06 PM.

GalPal is offline Fastpass Holder
    Your trip sounds wonderful!!

I love Wilderness Lodge and Artist Point is my favorite dining experience in all of WDW. Am I correct that, since you are eating at Artist Point and going to MVMCP on your first night there?

I'm assuming you are doing it without the DDP, right? Love the mushroom soup and it is rich enough that you could probably split it between two people. If there is something listed with a dish you don't thing you'll like they will bend over backwards to accomodate you.

When you check in, ask if Izzie is working. He is the most awesome server and will take great care of you!!

Cinderella2 is offline Thrilled to know there are others who sparkle!
    Wow! I can't believe you have only 4 days left. You get to have Thanksgiving in the Castle and go to the Christmas party. That is so incredible! Your trip is going to be so wonderful. I am a smidgen green with envy.
    Dreams Really Do Come True

Tinker Bell is offline DisneyWorldTrivia.com Lifetime Pass
    Started reading this last night, still have a few posts to read which I will read from the office, don't tell anyone. I am so excited for you, I remember when you put up those countdown tickers and the trip seemed so far away!

Chrissy&Tayen is offline counting down to my vacation
    ho my gosh!! only 4 days to go!
    All Star Sports July 2006
    All Star Movies October 2007
    Coronado Spring February 2010
    Pop Century October 2010
    All Star Movies September 2011
    Pop Century September 2012
    Chrissy

lilo88 is offline DisneyWorldTrivia.com Lifetime Pass
    Have fun!! Its sounds like it's going to be a great time.
    Tiffany~o ~ D23 member

Sufferer of Disney Vacation Depression

97'~French Quarter, 99'~CBR, 01'~Movies, 03'~Music/PORriverside/DCL, 05'~POP, 06'~Movies, 08'~Movies, 09'~Disneyland/ Embassy Suites Irvine/ 10'~Music, 12'~LBV Best Western Disney View

Tinker Bell is offline DisneyWorldTrivia.com Lifetime Pass
    Did you start checking the weather? Last I checked it was anywhere between 70 to 80 degrees for the next 10 days and sunny/cloudy.

Deja vu

Yup- checked the weather....things are looking great! The weather is a lot like it is here so we will be so used to it! (Eat your heart out, Melissa!)

Yes- first night is Artist Point and MVMCP! So excited about that. I think I will wait a bit before getting on the spinning tea cups though! WOW- it really is just around the corner now! I'm okay with people being envious also....I am always envious of anyone who is going when I'm not! SO GREAT!!! THIS WILL BE FUN!!!! WOOHOO!!! WIPPEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I guess I'll calm down and get back to work.

HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???

pre trip

We start our trip in 4 days too!!!!!! POR We should slink into the hotel around midnight, but we added that evening since we couldn't get a flight out Sat. morning.
    If you don't get out of our airport in the morning, lordie only knows when you're really going to depart, so we opted for another slow time, the RED EYE. The weather looks great. Looking forward to the Hot Tub upon arrival.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast