Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Trip Reports & Member Reviews Discuss My trip report - the good and the bad in the Vacation Planning forums; My family (wife, daughter 11, son 8) and I just returned from 8 days at WDW. We stayed at Pop Century from 12/8 - 12/16. Our trip got off to ...
    HVACMD is offline A-Ticket holder

My trip report - the good and the bad

My family (wife, daughter 11, son 8) and I just returned from 8 days at WDW. We stayed at Pop Century from 12/8 - 12/16.

Our trip got off to a rough start. As we left the airport in our 4 Runner rental, we began following the new GPS unit we brought from home. After 10 minutes, we began to recognize some very familiar street names. Our GPS thought we were back in NH. Now, we're out in the middle of nowhere in a residential neighborhood. So, we get the GPS straightened out, and stop for a bite to eat. We find our way back to I4, and 10 minutes later, our SUV suffers a major blowout, and we're stranded.

We called Dollar and they said "tough luck, you declined the insurance" or words to that effect. We finally got someone to come out and change the flat, on our dime. Although I've changed many a flat, I didn't feel safe on a major highway, on a Saturday night, pitch black, with no flashlight, and a family to worry about. And as I moved the kids out of the car to the other side of the guardrail, they were crying about getting eaten by alligators they envisioned in the small canal down the embankment.

Checked into Pop Century late, left the wife and kids there, and went back to the airport for a new car. Returned @ 2:30AM and got a few hours sleep before our big day at MK.

A few days later, at AK, we were approached by a CM who asked us if we'd like to be in a parade. "Are you kidding?" Ironically, the CM was from the city in which I lived as a kid, back in NH. So, we were in the parade at AK, which was absolutely the coolest thing that has happened to us in a very long time. We got to ride right in front of Goofy, and we all had a ball. The kids were excited to be backstage with all the characters. They felt like movie stars.

On our 2nd to last night, my daughter rode Star Tours and left her 2 year collection of Disney Pins behind, right before closing. By the time she realized it, it was too late - Gone. Notified security and Lost & Found. No luck.

On the last night, we took advantage of the Processional Dinner Package at Garden Grille. Right after my daughter pointed out that we were moving, was when my motion sickness set in. So, yes, after 7 days of Disney Quest VR games, Expedition Everest and other twisty rides, I got sick on the ride at Garden Grille.

All in all, a great trip. Many good (and bad) memories. Some day, we'll laugh about the bad ones. The good ones, we'll cherish.
    Last edited by HVACMD; 12-19-2007 at 11:40 AM.

rocknrollercfan is offline Fastpass Holder
    Waiting to leave WI and go to Disney World
    I'm glad that your kids got to experience the parade. That must have been a lot of fun for them.

I love Donald Duck

Ashley
    Walt Disney World

princessariel is offline Fastpass Holder
    The parade must have been a blast!!
    Summer '83-Off Site

Dec '95- Shades Of Green

March '03-All Star Movies

March '06-All Star Movies

October '07-POFQ

March '10-POFQ

March '13 POFQ

June '14 POFQ

Nov'14 All Star Sports-F&WF W&D 1/2 Marathon!

Jiminy Cricket is offline Ultimate Park "Hopper"
    1,015 miles from WDW in Central Indiana; Windermere FL
    Thanx for the report.
    Lord High Keeper of the Knowledge of Right and Wrong, Counselor in Moments of Temptation, and Guide along the Straight and Narrow Path and Oldest Active DWT/WDW Radio Member

DL: 1955* (1); WDW: 1977* (2), 1980* (2), 1985* (3), 1989* (3), 1996 (ASMu-3), 1999 (ASMo-3), 2000 (ASMu-2/PO-2), 2001 (ASMu-5), 2002 (ASMu-5), 2003 (ASMo-5), 2004* (8), 2004 (ASMo-8), 2005 (PC-10), 2006* (15), 2007* (20), 2008* (22), 2009* (26), 2010* (27), 2011* (32), 2012* (39), 2013* (36), 2013* (15), 2013* (9), 2013* (13), 2014* (40) Total Trips/Days = 26/353

*Off Property

brad9008 is offline D-Ticket Holder
    that stinks

rocknrollercfan is offline Fastpass Holder
    Waiting to leave WI and go to Disney World
    You stayed at my favorite resort. YAY

I love Donald Duck

Ashley
    Walt Disney World

mini-V is offline Home at last near Mickey!
    Yes, it will all become funny anecdotes in a few years, but a rental car breakdown in an unfamiliar area is not the best way to start out a vacation. I hope you get the pins back. Miracles to happen. Thanks for sharing your trip.
    mini-V What will you celebrate?

Adult daycare for the kid inside you.

Thumper10 is offline Missing Main Street...
    glad all of you had fun
    -Amanda

When you believe in a thing, believe in it all the way, implicitly and unquestionable.
    -Walt Disney