Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Trip Reports & Member Reviews Discuss Back from my birthday in the Vacation Planning forums; Just got back from my 40th bday party Feb 15th thru Feb 18th...here's a couple of observations: WOW! it was packed...don't think Thanksgiving day a couple of years ago was ...
    ghasty is offline B-Ticket Holder

Back from my birthday

Just got back from my 40th bday party Feb 15th thru Feb 18th...here's a couple of observations:

WOW! it was packed...don't think Thanksgiving day a couple of years ago was that packed.

Arrived in Orlando Friday night and had a "cheap" room off priceline for the International Plaza close to Sea World...soooo, they want you to think going rate for this place is $169/night...yeah right. Paid $60 on priceline and was ok with that price but would not pay any more. Took almost an hour to get checked in due to they had 2 people in the lobby for a crowd of folks.

Saturday morning went over to Port Orleans Riverside, checked in and ate breakfast while waiting on some friends to join us. Took off to DAK for the day and had a blast all day...got soaked on kali early on with 2 rides so squished around the rest of the day. Wife was not feeling well so she went to the room, kids followed later with a friend so 3 of us guys rode Everest in the single rider line 3 more times. Got back to the room and found that someone named "Goofy" had left me a HUGE Peter Pan birthday cake for me. (wife claims she had nothing to do with it and I'm leaning toward some cast members I know but no one is admitting...brought back half the cake)

Saturday night we had the wishes magical gathering cruise over at the Contemporary. Arrived around 8pm and got our pins then tried to find some counter food to eat (which is near impossible now at the Contemporary). at 8:45pm went into a conference room to meet Hook & Smee and ate tons of junkfood. Our captain "patches" arrived and we boarded the SMEE boat for the cruise. Stopped to see the water parade and then off to magic kingdom for wishes. Loved it! Back to contemporary and waiting on the dock for us was Peter Pan. (and I'll say, this is the best Peter I'd seen at WDW...he was VERY interactive with the kids and then he saw I was wearing a Peter Pan t-shirt and freaked out. Got some great pictures with him...oh, and earlier Hook challenged me to a duel for wearing that t-shirt...all I had to do was say "tick-tock" and he went running away). For cast interaction, the magical gathering was excellent, cruise was great, "patches" was hilarious and food was just so-so.

Sunday was MK from opening until about 2AM. Man...was it crowded. I LOVE what they've done to the Haunted Mansion...was the best attraction plus-ing in years! Rode all the major rides and shows...had a blast,

Monday was Epcot with a break to see muppets over at HOLLYWOOD Studios (guilty pleasure of mine). Kids liked the new Spaceship Earth. Test Track fast passes were not until 7pm and most of the day had a 150 minute wait. Didn't get to Soarin' but hit most everything else for the day. My son could spend all day in Innoventions easily. Came a downpour a couple of times but we didn't melt.

Tuesday...just a slow breakfast at the resort, checked out and then headed over to Winter Summerland for a round of golf before hitting I4 for the ride home.

Things I learned:
    * POR bus serice really is BAD compared to other resorts. Some friends waited 40 minutes for an Epcot buss on Monday.
    * I'm done with the Dining Plan in it's current state. The pure hassle of leaving gratuity on your room added 10 minutes to every meal. Also, why not offer a choice of appetizer or dessert? I mean, going to Le Cellier and not getting soup...yeah right!
    * Yak & Yeti was VERY good food-wise...but wait staff was not good at all...will prob not go back (2 hours for lunch) and more concerned over getting our dining plan gratuity straight then actually bringing our dessert.
    * (learned before but reitterated) Le Cellier rocks!
    * Love Winter Summerland and plan on a couple of rounds next trip...had played Fantasia a couple of trips ago but liked this course much more.
    * It can get exhausting when wearing a birthday pin at magic kingdom saying "thank you" to every cast member...wow.

nicks10 is offline @nick_straka
    Sounds like you had a great time, thanks for sharing. Oh, and happy belated birthday!!!
    -Nick

"Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow and fantasy"

vixen101485 is offline Queen of the Swaps, bow before me
    Quote Originally Posted by ghasty View Post
    Got back to the room and found that someone named "Goofy" had left me a HUGE Peter Pan birthday cake for me. We have no idea who they were.

Things I learned:
    * POR bus serice really is BAD compared to other resorts. Some friends waited 40 minutes for an Epcot buss on Monday.
    * I'm done with the Dining Plan in it's current state. The pure hassle of leaving gratuity on your room added 10 minutes to every meal. Also, why not offer a choice of appetizer or dessert? I mean, going to Le Cellier and not getting soup...yeah right!
    * Yak & Yeti was VERY good food-wise...but wait staff was not good at all...will prob not go back (2 hours for lunch) and more concerned over getting our dining plan gratuity straight then actually bringing our dessert.
    * It can get exhausting when wearing a birthday pin at magic kingdom saying "thank you" to every cast member...wow.
    Glad you had a good trip and a happy birthday.
    There must be a group of "those" ppl who leave things in the room. Last time some couple named Mickey and Minnie left us a bucket full of stuff for no reason at all.

*if your bus was just the past monday (right?) Then dont judge it by that. They just implimented a new So-called Improved navigational system into the buses and POR wasnt the only resort having problems with waits. (I like having CM internet buddies the things you find out)
    *I am not looking forward to the DDP come Sept. trip. Free yes, but if they do like they have in the past with letting you get counter service in exchange for the table service, we will probably only use one table service credit. I dont like having to carry around all that extra cash. ( i dont put the charge option on my room key--cant trust myself that much)
    *Glad to hear Y&Y was good food. We will prob grab something from the counter service side when we go in 2 weeks from today
    *HHMMMMM...got me re-thinking wearing ours....lol Walking is tiring enuf
    It's a Disney thing. If you understood, your only question would be "can I go?"

TRICK OR TREAT FOR UNICEF
    FOR MORE INFO CLICK THIS LINK http://inside.unicefusa.org/goto/Meghyn

tizzo is offline E-Ticket Holder
    Quote Originally Posted by ghasty View Post
    Just got back from my 40th bday party Feb 15th thru Feb 18th...here's a couple of observations:

WOW! it was packed...don't think Thanksgiving day a couple of years ago was that packed.

Ah, you went on President's Day weekend. I almost made the same mistake -- don't have President's Day off, so I'm not generally aware of it when it is approaching.

Anyway, I was there the Friday before for MY 40th birthday (took the Keys to the Kingdom tour), and it was rather dead.

disneyfanatic101 is offline Trying to Get Back Into the Swing of Things!
    Sounds like you have a great time! I'm so jealous.
    Adam ~ A Proud D23 Charter Member!

Thumper10 is offline Missing Main Street...
    sounds lake great trip...your wishes cruise sounds like lots of fun!
    -Amanda

When you believe in a thing, believe in it all the way, implicitly and unquestionable.
    -Walt Disney

mini-V is offline Home at last near Mickey!
    Sounds like you had a great trip. We've done President's Day weekend and found it to be more crowded than expected. Funny how easy it is to forget that the kids are off of school when you don't have kids in school any longer.

I would have thought by now that Y&Y would have gotten some of the kinks out of their wait staff.

Thanks for sharing your experiences.
    mini-V What will you celebrate?

Adult daycare for the kid inside you.

brad9008 is offline D-Ticket Holder
    i was there when you were

ghasty is offline B-Ticket Holder

Me and Pan

My favorite picture...Peter loved that I had a t-shirt with him on it so we had to strike a pose:

Keasmom is offline DisneyWorldTrivia.com Lifetime Pass
    Sounds (and looks) like you had a blast.
    P.U.S.H.-A mantra MOST will not understand.

Disney rocks, Walt was a genius.