Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Trip Reports & Member Reviews Discuss Live From Disneyland! in the Vacation Planning forums; Well, I'm still on east coast time, so even though it's only 6am, my body thinks it's 9am, and I've been awake for a couple hours. So I figured I'd ...
    mritty is offline Fastpass Holder

Thumbs up Live From Disneyland!

Well, I'm still on east coast time, so even though it's only 6am, my body thinks it's 9am, and I've been awake for a couple hours. So I figured I'd share my initial thoughts and impressions on Disneyland....

* I now understand what Lou meant about the dead ends and getting lost. It'll take me a while to orient myself, most especially in Tomorrowland.

* The Parade of Dreams seems ... uninspired. I like Disney Dreams Come True better.

* Remember Dreams Come True has the best parts of Wishes, but with some great extras thrown in - basically the soundtrack to the park, in fireworks form, and a plussed Tinkerbell performance. Not to mention the lasers and park-surrounding fireworks. Very cool.

* Space Mountain is about 5 to 10 times better than it's MK cousin.

* Splash Mountain's storyline is easier to follow in the MK, and the animatronics are better there too.

* Frontierland and New Orleans Square are directly adjacent, with absolutely no thematic barrier between them.

* Coming off the hub, Tomorrowland is RIGHT THERE. Just turn to your right, and BOOM. No bridge or walkway to pull you into it slowly.

* While I haven't gone to it yet, from what I saw on the railroad, DL's Toontown looks significantly more "toony" than MK's.

* Haunted Mansion's interior is almost identical, including the recent refurb, to MK's (yes, I know this one came first). Only difference I spotted is the lack of the aging portrait before the stretching room, and the fact that the hallway of lightening-enhanced portraits is before you board the doom buggy.

* The fact that you only get one early entry day per ticket, but that four days of the week qualify for early entry, really messes with effective tour planning.

* Seeing IHOPs and Dennys directly outside the Esplanade is just weird.

* Expedition Everest is a plussed Matterhorn. SIGNIFICANTLY plussed, but still. Even the two attractions' pins are identical, save for the name of the attraction.

* Still need handstamps to return to the park, and no biometrics here.

* The banner for the Caroussel of Progress that's hanging off of Innoventions felt like a tease.

* AstroBlasters is a plussed Space Ranger Spin. I think I like this one better, but I'll need a few more rides on it to know for sure...

* The Tomorrowland Terrace has two completely different menus depending on which side you order from, with no indication that other foodstuffs are available on the otherside.

* Mr. Toad is alive and well, and I've now met him for the first time. Still in mild shock that Disney has an attraction in which we "die"...

* The Disneyland Resort Express is no Magical Express. They drive past without stopping at LAX, unless you are out in the street waving like mad at them. They also refused to drop my friend off at the hotel because the driver didn't feel like turning around, so he more or less kicked him out on the other side of the very busy street.

* The Candy Cane Inn is less than a 5 minute walk from the Esplanade, yet they have a shuttle that departs every 30 minutes.... why?

* The Sailing Ship Columbia is a very impressive looking ship.

Today's plan is the DCA until it closes at 8, then back over to DLP to watch Remember Dreams Come True again, hopefully from a better perspective this time.

So far, very VERY happy to be here. :-)

disneydame2004 is offline Celebrate Everyday!
    Sounds like you're having a great time! Thanks for the update and enjoy the rest of your trip!
    -Pat (Disneydame2004)
    Dream Team Auction Coordinator

Help make a child smile! Dream Team Project Firstgiving Page

satijp is offline Fastpass Holder
    Tell me more, tell me more!!! I'm going in July and haven't been since I was oh about 2 decades ago!!!
    -Tanya

Jan '07 Pop Century, Mar '07 Day Trip, April '07 Off Property, May '07 OKW, July '07 POR, Oct '07 Pop Century (& MNSSHP!!!), Dec '07 Day Trip

Jan '08 POR
    Feb '08 Pop
    Mar '08 Off Property
    April '08 AS Sports - I think - still gotta book it

Thumper10 is offline Missing Main Street...
    very interesting, I love hearing all of the differences.
    -Amanda

When you believe in a thing, believe in it all the way, implicitly and unquestionable.
    -Walt Disney

mini-V is offline Home at last near Mickey!
    It's always interesting to hear comparisons of the WDW and DL. I really have to go back there in the near future. 34 years is too long between visits.
    mini-V What will you celebrate?

Adult daycare for the kid inside you.

More from Day 2:

* The Muppetvision 3D queue is more awesome here than at DHS, but the show is identical.
    * ToT does not move out of the shaft into the hallway - it falls in the same shaft it ascends. There is an extra effect before the hallway with the 5 pseudo-ghosts.
    * Mike and Sully is a cute dark ride in the same vein as Snow White, Winnie the Pooh, Peter Pan, etc
    * Aladdin blows every show at WDW out of the water. Indy, BatB, Voyage of the Little Mermaid, even Festival of the Lion King.... none of them hold a candle to it.
    * It was too dang cold to ride Grizzly River Run. :-( Hopefully it'll be warmer tomorrow.
    * Everything at Downtown Disney closes by 11pm, including the ESPN Zone. With the flood of people exiting DLP at 11pm, this makes absolutely zero sense to me.
    * I saw Paradise Pier, but couldn't bring myself to go to it - it looks too much like a Six Flags. When the roller coaster junkie joins us tomorrow, I'm betting that will change.
    * Tough to be a Bug is the same as at AK, but the lack of the Tree of Life carvings takes away from the queue.
    * The monorail TILTS as it turns. Holy smoke I thought there was a mechanical problem and we were about to fall off. Scared the heck out of me.
    * After a second viewing, it's official - I like Remember Dreams Come True more than Wishes.
    * The fact that this is a locals park is evidenced by how much more crowded the parks are after about 2pm, when school gets out. DCA was practically empty until like 1pm.
    * Park opening time seems to be a rather fluid concept. DCA wasn't scheduled to open until 10am, so we got there at 9:40 - they were already letting people into the park. I figured they'd hold us at a rope drop somewhere, but nope - we were in the Soarin' preshow by 9:55.

Back to DLP today. Park hours are scheduled for 8am-midnight. Goal is to get there at opening to ride the Nemo subs, then hit a bunch more of the dark rides before the roller coaster junkie joins us in the afternoon.
    Last edited by mritty; 04-04-2008 at 10:19 AM. Reason: Soarin' preshow, not pre-queue

Well, live from the Newark Airport now. . .

* I can certainly understand why some people assert that DL's Fantasmic is superior to WDW's, but I'm not sure I agree. The Peter Pan sequence blows the Pocahontas section out of the water, no doubt. But WDW's Lion King is better than DL's Pink Elephants. And DL's Villians sequence is absurdly short and non-sensical. "All the forces of evil" are apparently Ursula, Cherabog, and Maleficient. And after Ursula makes a huge speach about how SHE will destroy Mickey... she disappears and is never heard from - Maleficient appears and battles Mickey. Very odd.

* Remember Dreams Comes True was cancelled Friday night "due to high winds at higher elevations". They announced the cancellation 5 minutes after scheduled start time. Very annoying.

* DL does not offer package pickup at the front of the park. You can either have the store from which you buy your items keep them there, and pick them up yourself, or bring them to the front of the park yourself and store them there. Bleah.

* I took the Walk in Walt's Footsteps tour. Really didn't learn anything new. I was hoping for a DL version of Keys to the Kingdom, but it was really more like "here's some stuff you might not know if you're not a super-Disney-geek fan". Things like "Walt had an apartment above the firestation", "The Tiki Room is a Walt Disney original", "Sleeping Beauty Castle debuted with the park 4 years before Sleeping Beauty debuted in theatres", etc. I'm pretty sure I could have given the tour myself. Oh well.

* Much like WDW, DL is incredibly inconsistent when it comes to cast member appreciation. One night I was asked to fill out a full 8.5"x11" pre-printed form. The next night, my friend was simply asked "what was the situation?", while the CM took notes on a tiny scrap of paper.

* Off-duty CMs are frequently seen on-stage, very disconcertingly. There's something wrong with seeing CMs walking along with their personal backpacks, or exiting the park alongside guests and immediately lighting up a cigarette, waiting on the benches by the pickup area. Destroys a bit of the magic.

* Nemo Subs are cute, but worth MAYBE a 20-minute wait. I do not at all understand the obsession that keeps a 2-hour wait.

* Honey I Shrunk the Audience is just as out of place in Tomorrowland as it is in Future World.

* Disneyland - The First 50 Years is a great little exhibit. No one seems to know when it'll go away, so if you want to see it, you should probably do so asap.

* I like the original Tiki Room better than Under New Management, but it's still a B-ticket at best.

* I now completely understand the assertion that DL's Pirates is significantly better than WDW's. I'd say it's at least 5 minutes longer, with several additional scenes.

* I'm amazed at how few attractions are Fastpass-enabled. With 6 bonafide gate-busters, I'd expect a lot more Fastpasses to be available. Matterhorn and Nemo subs not having FP is beyond my comprehesion. Also, Peter Pan, Star Tours, Jungle Cruise, and Honey I Shrunk the Audience are lacking their WDW-cousins' FPs.

* I'm in love with how much more live entertainment is in the park. Orders of magnitude more than Magic Kingdom or anywhere else in WDW with the possible exception of World Showcase.

* Golden Horseshoe was great - I saw Billy Hill and the Hillbillies. A lot of fun.

* With the Magic Morning Sunday from 7am-8am, I did: Space Mountain, Matterhorn, Buzz Lightyear, Star Tours, Indiana Jones, and Pirates of the Carribean in the first hour and a half the park was open. Very cool.

Battery's about to die. Guess that means I'll end my trip report here. I hope you all enjoyed reading. Take care!

Thumper10 is offline Missing Main Street...
    I really enjoyed reading everything you had to say...I can only hope that sometime I'll be able to visit for myself!!
    -Amanda

When you believe in a thing, believe in it all the way, implicitly and unquestionable.
    -Walt Disney

DisneyLove28 is offline Just your average Disney Princess!
    Sounds like a lot of fun and definitely a different experience! I would love to go to DL someday just to experience all that. Glad you had a good time!
    ~*~...it's a small world after all...~*~

- [ The Dirty Dozen ] -
    November 2005

C'mon everybody! Let's all clap our hands and dance in a circle!

nicks10 is offline @nick_straka
    Awesome, thanks for sharing. Now I reallllllllllly need to make an effort to get out there...
    -Nick

"Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow and fantasy"