Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Trip Reports & Member Reviews Discuss September Pre-Trip report (aka, am I insane?!) in the Vacation Planning forums; So I'm still all kinds of excited about my upcoming August trip with my friend and her niece. 11 days total, split between Pop Century, Beach Club Villas, and Carribean ...
    mritty is offline Fastpass Holder

September Pre-Trip report (aka, am I insane?!)

So I'm still all kinds of excited about my upcoming August trip with my friend and her niece. 11 days total, split between Pop Century, Beach Club Villas, and Carribean Beach. It'll be great. 113 days and counting...

HOWEVER.... last year, my sister and I went on a 6 day trip during the Free Dining promotion. My parents at the time said that if I ever saw a good deal like that again, I should let them know. And so, last week, I did. To my amazement and shock, I now have another trip planned. 6 days at All Star Sports, just me and my parents. 154 days and counting.

*Gulp*. Please try to understand, my parents and I have NEVER vacationed together. Ever. They either didn't have the financial means or the desire to vacation until after I was in college, which means my younger siblings and them are forever going on cruises and such, but I've never gone anywhere with the family. Last year's trip with my sister was the first time I'd gone anywhere with any member of the family.

Also understand that my family is NOT Disney-obsessed like I am. They have a tendency to roll their eyes when I tell them I'm going *again*. My youngest sister tries to pretend she doesn't even know me when I talk about it.

So you can imagine, this trip's more than a little nerve racking. I don't even know what kinds of attractions they're going to want to do. I have a hard time picturing my 50-something mother and 60-something father going on Space Mountain or Expedition Everest. But for all I know, they might really enjoy them.

Like I said, we're doing Free Dining, and I've booked reservations at Cape May Café clambake, Teppan Edo, Tutto Italia, Yak & Yeti, and Cap'n Jack (the list they gave me said they like Italian food, buffets, seafood and "new stuff", so I think I'm covered). I'm planning on doing at least one day at each of the parks, and possibly hitting up Epcot a second time around if they enjoy the World Showcase live entertainment as much as I'm expecting them to.

Also, their birthdays are 2 and 4 weeks before the trip, so as my birthday present to them, I bought tickets for La Nouba. I've never seen it before, so I'm hoping they enjoy it - I'm not telling them about it until we're in Downtown Disney that night.

Also, my mother has MS, and doesn't so much walk great distances. So this may also be my first experience renting an ECV and having a member of the party using that throughout the park. I'm mentally preparing myself now for the looks people will be giving us as my mother drives her ECV around and then stands up to get into an attraction....

This is going to be one heck of an experience. I have *no* idea how it's going to go....

First Timer is offline I saw the Mouse now I want to go back!
    Sounds like your going to be in for a bunch of "first"..... I thought my husband would have hated Disney when we went last Jan. for the first time...... But boy was I wrong he turned out to act just like our 9 yr old running around with a silly smile the whole week!
    Loni

First Trip- Jan. 07, POFQ
    Second Trip- May 08, Pop Century

SnwhtNdwrfs is offline Dancing with the dwarfs!
    Being entertained by the voices in my head
    I wouldn't worry about the ECV and then standing up part. My aunt used one and walked up to things. No one ever made a comment to us directly or indirectly either.

How exciting! Enjoy your tip with your family!

trickster is offline Hakuna Matata!!... It means no worries!!
    WTG! I thought about starting one for September - but I'll wait a little while yet!!!

Having said that, we have our full plan sorted and already have 16 ADRs booked. Come May, while also get MNSSHP booked too!!
    Rich

"Most of my life I have done what I wanted to do. I have had fun on the job.
    I have never been able to confine that fun to office hours." ~ Walt Disney

mini-V is offline Home at last near Mickey!
    Hey, I turn 50 something in (way too short a time) and I love Space Mountain. I guess it sort of depends if they like the more aggressive rides and enjoy theme parks and amusement parks. Actually, I never started riding roller coasters till I turned 40. It took me a long time to gather up the nerve.
    Hope you all have a great vacation. Try not to stress over the planning. If you enjoy each other's company in other situations, then it will all come together.
    mini-V What will you celebrate?

Adult daycare for the kid inside you.

brad9008 is offline D-Ticket Holder
    have fun when you go