Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Trip Reports & Member Reviews Discuss WDW May 1st -9th in the Vacation Planning forums; Just returned from a 9 day stay at WDW on Friday. This was the third year in-a-row that we have attended during late April,/early May time frame, and one of ...
    Serkazong is offline Keep to the code.

WDW May 1st -9th

Just returned from a 9 day stay at WDW on Friday. This was the third year in-a-row that we have attended during late April,/early May time frame, and one of the most memorable.

Our trip began with a 9:15 arrival @ the Orlando Int. Airport and a pleasant Magical Express bus ride to the Wilderness Lodge. In the past, we have been lucky enough to have our room available for an early check-in, but unfortunately this was not the case this year. No big deal, we went to Whispering Canyon for breakfast and figured the room would be ready soon after- no luck. Ok, so we went swimming for a couple hours and tried again- no luck. Well, let's try the arcade for an hour and then check in- still no luck. At this point, it was 3 pm and I was informed that they may not have our room ready until after 5pm. Frustated, I went to the check in desk and asked for some explanation for the delay. The attendant pulled out information up, immediately appologized and said she had no idea why this had happened. I would guess that a mistake was made by the first clerk and we were promptly given our room. It was a 6th floor courtyard room (kind of what I requested), but felt cramped and dark. Needing a Casey's Corner hot dog, we boarded a water launch for the MK and headed out for the evening.

The next morning I arose early and headed to the MK for a "Keys to the Kindom" tour my wife had gotten me as a birthday present. This was an amazing tour complete with lunch and a bounty of behind the scenes information and little known facts. I would highly reccomend this tour to any die hard Disney fan. The tour concluded at 1 pm and I returned to the Wilderness Lodge to meet my family and Head over to Epcot for dinner at The Coral Reef. We rode all the major attractions in Future World after dinner with minimal wait and returned to the hotel to sleep.

The next morning, Wilderness Lodge just did not "feel right" to us and I went to the front desk to see what my options were for a room or hotel change. The clerk was VERY helpful and asked where we had stayed before and what we liked or disliked. As it turned out, there was space available in the Contemporary for the remaining 6 nights of our stay in the South garden wing (we had hoped to go back to the Polynesian, but they were booked). Not wanting to continue our stay @ WL, we booked the Contemporary and immediately took a taxi there...............WOW!

This was my fist stay @ the Contemporary and I can't say enough good things about it. The room was incredible- very spacious, ground floor with patio, 1 minute walk to the pool, in room computer with free internet, a spectacular view of bay lake and a 3 minute walk to the monorail or water launch. My only regret is not choosing this resort when we originally planned the vacation.

We had reservations for the Fantasmic dinner package that evening, so we took a quick swim and headed over to Hollywood and Vine (excellent) @ the Studios. Shortly after dinner a torrential 15 minute storm ponded the area, driving almost everyone out of the park. We then had our choice of attractions with minimal wait and my 6 year old son wanted to try Rockin' Roller Coaster. My wife or I had never ridden this either and were a bit nervous at first, but by the end of the trip this had become our favorite attraction of the year. We had third row center seats for Fantasmic due to the earlier rain storm and enjoyed the show with a pretzel and Coke.

The next several of days were spent non-stop park hopping and touring with moderate crowd levels. I had promised my son that I would ride Primeval Whirl with him since he would meet the 48" height requirement for the first time (I usually get sick on the tea cups). We were greeted at the beginning of the line by a menber of the Disney Dream Squad and made "Magical Family of the Hour" and given a special pass to the front of the line and a certificate that allowed us to ride twice without disembarking. Spinning or not, I rode twice in a row (and got sick)- no regrets.

Toward the end of the trip, crowd levels dropped dramatically and most of the attractions were 10 to 15 min. waits only. Same day dining reservations were possible for most of the restaurants we tried. A real winner was the Concourse Steak House @ the Contemporary, possibly the best steak I have ever eaten. We also spent more time in Downtown Disney than in past trips and my son LOVES Disney Quest. In addition, I was able to verify a couple of WDW myths during our stay that I will post on these forums soon. All in all it was a great trip and even with 8 days, we were not able to do it all................there's always next year!

disneydame2004 is offline Celebrate Everyday!
    Sounds like a a fun trip! We may have crossed paths in the airport and parks I was there at the same parks on the same days, at least for the beginning of your trip
    That's too bad about the Wilderness Lodge. I have a stay booked there later this year, and now I'm nervous about the rooms. When you switched to the Contemporary, did they charge you extra?
    -Pat (Disneydame2004)
    Dream Team Auction Coordinator

Help make a child smile! Dream Team Project Firstgiving Page

Keasmom is offline DisneyWorldTrivia.com Lifetime Pass
    Sounds wonderful and a really good call on changing hotels. Thanks for sharing.
    P.U.S.H.-A mantra MOST will not understand.

Disney rocks, Walt was a genius.

I never could put my finger on exactly what it was about the WL that we didn't care for. The lobby is absolutely beautiful, and the themeing of the pool, geyser and grounds were on par with the Disney standards. Some good friends of ours stay here exclusively and I wanted to like it as much as they do, I just never got there. Don't get me wrong, the WL is a fine hotel, it may have been the room location or delayed check in that caused our wanderlust becasuse the cast members were all very friendly. I even thought it was just me, but when I asked my family about re-locating they immediately brightened up.

Regarding the Contemporary, I was offered a standard view room at an even trade (@ the WL, we had a courtyard view with bunk beds). Inquiring further, I also learned that they had the room mentioned in my above post available for immediate check-in for an additional $60 per night...............I am curious what the rest of you would have done? I always try and leave a little "fluff" in the budget and this choice was pretty fluffy, but I can honestly say I do not regret it.

I am intregued by The Boardwalk Resort- any of you ever stay there?

[quote=disneydame2004;659773]Sounds like a a fun trip! We may have crossed paths in the airport and parks I was there at the same parks on the same days, at least for the beginning of your trip

Did you get caught in the Saturday night rain storm too?

disneydame2004 is offline Celebrate Everyday!
    Quote Originally Posted by Serkazong View Post
    Did you get caught in the Saturday night rain storm too?
    Not really. We were at MK until midnight and managed to dodge it.
    -Pat (Disneydame2004)
    Dream Team Auction Coordinator

Help make a child smile! Dream Team Project Firstgiving Page