Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Trip Reports & Member Reviews Discuss Day 8 and after in the Vacation Planning forums; Day 8 Islands of Adventure The second day of heading up I4 to the Universal area and we still didn’t get lost, although we did pass several outlet stores, but ...
    DisneyDreamer13 is offline A good friend gets you out of jail, a great friend wakes up next to you!
    6,976km from Cinderella Castle / 408km from Sleeping Beauty Castle

Day 8 and after

Day 8
    Islands of Adventure
    The second day of heading up I4 to the Universal area and we still didn’t get lost, although we did pass several outlet stores, but enough of my plans to spend all the money, onto IoA.
    I was looking forward to doing a new theme park, and this was the first day when the weather was quite cool, a very welcome break from the heat. Having repeated the routine of getting the ExpressPass for each of us we headed in. The layout of IoA if very simple, a lake in the centre and various lands around the edge. So with the most basic of choices, left or right, we headed left to ride Spiderman. I was a little worried, Thomas adores Spiderman and i knew this would be ‘the ride’ of his vacation, and it didn’t disappoint, it was great!! The special effects take the ride to an amazing level and even though i am totally not into any comic book stuff, i loved it!! After that Sarah and Peter wanted to ride Doctor Dooms Fear Falls, uh, no thanks, I’ll look after the kids. So the kids got to meet several of the comic book heros (including Spidey) and Sarah and Pete said the ride was great (i’ll take their word for it).

From there it was on to ‘Toon Lagoon’ and two of the wettest rides i have ever been on. The Bilge-Rat Barges are hysterical, i think i was laughing at my sister just as much as the ride, we were all soaked through, so next we went on Rip saw falls. I didn’t think it was possible to get any wetter, but somehow by the time we left the ride, it was like we’d been swimming fully clothed LOL. It was about now we could have done with some warming sunshine, we ate lunch and were starting to feel a little cold and uncomfortable by now.
    Next we headed onward to ‘Jurassic Park’, the scenery in this area was great, and i wished the boys had watched the movie, but they still liked looking at the entrance gates and the dino’s hidden around.

At this point we were going to go on Pteranodon Flyers, but the staff at the line entrances told us it was a 60 minute wait for a 90second ride and not worth it. So on to Jurassic River Adventure. The EP’s got us to the front of the line but sadly, as Alex saw it involved more water he was just too cold and too wet to cope and started sobbing his heart out to not go on it. As any of you with kids know, there is that certain cry that isn’t just a kid playing up, but a signal that they just cant go on anymore. So Alex and i waved the other 7 off with a half-hearted smile and had some Mommy-son time. We did fun stuff like going shopping for dry t-shirt and shorts and got him changed in the restroom, just having warm clothes was all the poor little guy needed, and by the time the others returned, saying how great the ride was, Alex was back to his usual happy self and ready to find the next ride (as long as it was a dry one).
    Continuing round the lake we next reached The Flying Unicorn, the ride was good (i think), but we spent most of the time twisting our necks trying to look at the building work next to the ride (could that be where Harry Potter is going?!). From there, Sarah and Pete went to ride Dueling Dragons (I cant remember if they did fire or ice), the rest of us had hot chocolates and cakes while enjoying a great view back over the lake. By now it was starting to get late, time had flown by, and much as i would have loved to do Poseidons Fury, we bypassed the rest of The Lost Continent and headed over to Seuss Landing. The Dr Seuss books are nowhere as big in the UK as they are over there, but my kids know a few of the stories and the general style of writing, so they really enjoyed it. The park was getting quiet by now and we rode The High in the Sky Seuss Troll Train Ride, Carol-Seuss-el, The Cat in The Hat and One Fish Two Fish Red Fish Blue Fish with almost no wait at all which was lovely.

Again, i think the Expresspass made the day go much better than without and i certainly would do it again if i returned to IoA. By the time we reached the park gates, staff from each area were waving everyone off (probably thinking, please leave, i want to go home!!). We headed home via Dennys for dinner, where the poor kids were almost falling asleep in their food!!
    x FIONA x
    1989 WDW Offsite1990 WDWOffsite1991Offsite/Contemporary1992 EuroDisney Offsite(schooltrip)
    1992 WDW Offsite/GrandFloridian2001 DLP Davy CrocketRanch2008 Offsite villa/Contempoary
    2009DLP Hotel Santa Fe 2010Clearwater/get married/POR
    Sisterhood of the travelling pirate in the pants

albino_pygmy is offline The voice of the Jungle
    Yes, the really really big structure being built behind JP is going to be Hogwarts and part of the new Harry Potter land. You're lucky to have been through the Lost Continent before half of it gets transformed into HP land. I'm sure you've seen a wooden bridge being built over the lagoon that was blocked off? Think from where that bridge is from the LC side all the way up to the JP gateway, that'll all be HP land. Posideons Fury isn't really that special and good thing you skipped it, it's just a special effects show where you move from room to room similar to Twister, but themed differently. Even though the show itself isn't that thrilling, walking through the huge swirling water vortex is worth watching that show. Glad to hear you guys had fun there, and looking forward to hear a TR when HPland opens up

mini-V is offline Home at last near Mickey!
    I'm so used to knowing about the rides that people write about in their reports, that I felt a bit lost in the IoA. I'm sure I'll breakdown at some point and check out Universal. It's good to learn a bit about that park as well so I know what to expect. One just has to decide if it's a theme park day or an amusement park day. Isn't crazy how the one day you pick to ride the wet rides the weather cools down.
    mini-V What will you celebrate?

Adult daycare for the kid inside you.

DisneyDreamer13 is offline A good friend gets you out of jail, a great friend wakes up next to you!
    i HIGHLY recomment the two wet rides, i also advise a change of clothes LOL!!!
    x FIONA x
    1989 WDW Offsite1990 WDWOffsite1991Offsite/Contemporary1992 EuroDisney Offsite(schooltrip)
    1992 WDW Offsite/GrandFloridian2001 DLP Davy CrocketRanch2008 Offsite villa/Contempoary

Cinderella2 is offline Thrilled to know there are others who sparkle!
    Poor sweet Alex. I hate getting wet too. Sloshing socks are just yucky.
    I love that photo of them with Spidey!!! Consider it swiped and on my desktop now.
    I wish I could have done Dr. Seuss land with you!!! I have never seen it and would have had so much fun there with you guys!
    Thank goodness Superman was a hit too!!!
    Yay for day 8 and that giant lollipop!!!! Tell Jason that Aunt Kerry is going to look for one of those for him for real and get it sent over as soon as she finds it.
    Dreams Really Do Come True

lilo88 is offline DisneyWorldTrivia.com Lifetime Pass
    YAY more report!! So glad you all had a good time! Can't wait to read more!
    Tiffany~o ~ D23 member

Sufferer of Disney Vacation Depression

97'~French Quarter, 99'~CBR, 01'~Movies, 03'~Music/PORriverside/DCL, 05'~POP, 06'~Movies, 08'~Movies, 09'~Disneyland/ Embassy Suites Irvine/ 10'~Music, 12'~LBV Best Western Disney View

I have trouble getting my family on splash mt or the water ride in AK. I'm going to have to hone my skills of persuation to get them on these rides.

Quote Originally Posted by albino_pygmy View Post
    I'm sure you've seen a wooden bridge being built over the lagoon that was blocked off? Think from where that bridge is from the LC side all the way up to the JP gateway, that'll all be HP land.

you mean the wooden bridge just in the front of this photo, i wondered why nobody was using it?!
    x FIONA x

Quote Originally Posted by Cinderella2 View Post
    Tell Jason that Aunt Kerry is going to look for one of those for him for real and get it sent over as soon as she finds it.
    and then Aunt Kerry can get on a plane and come over for his next trip to the dentist!!!
    x FIONA x

I don't know what that loopy thing is over to the left...but I ain't rid'n it!

Hey, Alex probably gets that wet going to school in the UK. He should have felt right at home. lol

I'm with you Virginia- I don't ride anything with loops. I'm loopy enough as it is.
    There, I said it before anyone else had a chance!

You can't pay me to even walk near Everest either. No way.

albino_pygmy is offline The voice of the Jungle
    Quote Originally Posted by DisneyDreamer13 View Post
    you mean the wooden bridge just in the front of this photo, i wondered why nobody was using it?!
    Yup, that's the one. It's a temporary bridge that will be open when half of the Lost Continent will be closed off near the end of the year for Harry Potter construction to connect JP with whatever's left of LC.

tiggerguy is online now one of the good guys
    Quote Originally Posted by mini-V View Post
    I don't know what that loopy thing is over to the left...but I ain't rid'n it!

Hey, Alex probably gets that wet going to school in the UK. He should have felt right at home. lol
    that's the Hulk Coaster
    Brian
    WDWRadio Moderator

WHAT???? ****GASP**** you went off property????

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast