Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Trip Reports & Member Reviews Discuss el_strategista family trip day one in the Vacation Planning forums; With the element packed with luggage, portable dvd players, movies, Nintendo ds, coloring books, ice chest, snacks, umbrella stroller, laptop, costumes, ipods, and the morning newspaper (early delivery—who knew), we ...
    el strategista is offline A-Ticket holder

el_strategista family trip day one

With the element packed with luggage, portable dvd players, movies, Nintendo ds, coloring books, ice chest, snacks, umbrella stroller, laptop, costumes, ipods, and the morning newspaper (early delivery—who knew), we loaded the kids for the 12 hour trek to the little place we all know and love. Understand that this is 3 a.m. when nothing stirs not even a mouse. Nothing except my four and nine year old children who have asked constantly for five months straight when we are going to Disney world. I have never seen them wake up and get in the car this fast.

After months of planning and a last minute addition of my best friend from high school and his family for part of the trip, you could feel the excitement in the air. Or was that the humidity in New Orleans? Anyway, they don’t call me el-strategista for nothing. I can’t take all of the credit because Jessica (Mousefan Travel) assisted us with the room, rearranging dining reservations to accommodate seven instead of four, and some other surprises along the way. Bear in mind that my wife and I did not tell the kids about my best friend showing up.

Why did we leave at 3 a.m.? Check-in is at 4 p.m. and we had tickets for the Pirates and Princess party that night. So we hit the 10 and didn’t stop until just past Mobile when I got hungry for breakfast.

The “Are we there yet?” conversation didn’t start until after lunch while in the arm-pit of Florida along US 98. The Garmin lady picked a great route off most of the main interstates. I hate big trucks and people weaving in and out of lanes. I will never do the 10-75-5 route again. It’s back roads for me.

After 1000 negative responses to the question of the day, I finally got on the 529 toll road toward the Western Way entrance to the world. We were all excited to be this close to the magic. Finally off in the distance we saw the castle, spaceship earth and the earful tower. Next exit Disney world. Would you believe that we had to wake up the kids?

That back entrance is awesome. No fighting traffic on the 5. We stayed at the Pop Century, so that entrance was not far from our hotel. There is just something about driving through the entry way for the first time on your trip. You know that the magic begins and you understand that the money will soon disappear.

The other nice thing about that entrance is that you drive behind the AK and get to see all the food (read plants) for the animals planted in row after row. You also drive by the food warehouse where the other food is dropped off by trucks.

At the Pop, we checked in and received room 9143, just off the 90s parking lot with a view of the trees. This was our first time at Pop as we usually stay at Port Orleans (Riverside or French Quarter). We couldn't swing the moderate rate for ten days. Sounds funny that a family from New Orleans stays in resorts that are themed to look like New Orleans and its surrounding area, but only Disney can make us step back in time and relax. It is like being at home just a whole lot cleaner with better landscaping.

We unpacked and started the search for our costumes. Yes we bought costumes for the party that night. The girls would go as princesses (wife – Cinderella; daughter – Giselle) and the guys as pirates (me – Captain Jack; son – hammerhead pirate from Davy Jones’ crew). We got dressed, left the room and went to the bus stop for MK. That’s when you realize that you are in a costume and most everyone else is not. There were a lot of princesses in line, but not a lot of pirates. Many more kids in costumes than adults. But we didn’t care because where else in the world could you go dressed as Captain Jack Sparrow on a Wednesday night in June.

This is where the first bump in the story occurs . . . . .
    mee-skamoo-skamickey mouse

GIOny is offline Premium Annual Passholder
    Quote Originally Posted by el strategista View Post
    But we didn’t care because where else in the world could you go dressed as Captain Jack Sparrow on a Wednesday night in June.

This is where the first bump in the story occurs . . . . .
    How true.......did someone say
    It's kind of fun to do the impossible!

Keasmom is offline DisneyWorldTrivia.com Lifetime Pass
    Okay, waiting for the rest of this story. Sounds great so far. I love long drives on America's roadways. But, what was the bump?????
    P.U.S.H.-A mantra MOST will not understand.

Disney rocks, Walt was a genius.

nicks10 is offline @nick_straka
    Looking forward to the rest!
    -Nick

"Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow and fantasy"

el strategista is offline A-Ticket holder

Correction

Jessica works with The Magic For Less travel agency. I am truly sorry for the mistake in my post.
    mee-skamoo-skamickey mouse