Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Trip Reports & Member Reviews Discuss Soarin' Spoiler + Trip Report in the Vacation Planning forums; Of course soarin' will be permanent! Disney had rides swapped for the 50th but they are all staying there. Disneyland got buzzlightyear which will also be there. It's too much ...
    MayBWeRMnt2B is offline living happily ever after...
    Of course soarin' will be permanent! Disney had rides swapped for the 50th but they are all staying there. Disneyland got buzzlightyear which will also be there. It's too much money to make all the rides just be there for the 50th, it will definately be permanent.

The average wait time for Soarin' is going to be 2 hours once it opens so remember to use fastpass! :-) It is rumored that it is called Soarin' not Soarin' over CA because in 2007 there will be a new video for the Orlando version of Soarin'.

Will you get sick? Have you ever been on an Imax? Imax's do cause some people to get motion sickness but if you get sick, it is a ride where you can just close your eyes and you won't feel a thing. :-)

It is an awesome ride. My mom always gets sick and she didn't feel sick on Soarin, she loves it. :-)

Annual Passholder weekend is April 15th-17th. If anyone is going I will be there also. :-)

Supposedly the land may be open for the AP weekend. I'm excited to see what the remodel looks like. :-)
    - Jeanne

Engaged at Sunset Point - July 17th, 2008
    Married at Sunset Point - March 3, 2009
    Disney World & Disneyland Honeymoon

Aulani - September 2011

Wishes can come true, if you believe in them with all your heart.
    And the best part is, you'll never run out of wishes.
    They're shining deep down inside of you.
    'Cause that my friends is where the magic lives

disneymaniac24 is offline B-Ticket Holder
    Thank you for letting me know! It sounds like I would have missed out on a great ride.
    "All who come to this happy place, Welcome!!" :mickey:
    -Walt Disney on the opening day of Disneyland (July 17, 1955)

Dixie Landings: 11/98

Old Key West: 1/01

Board Walk Villas: 12/02

Beach Club Villas: 5/04

Pop Century Resort: 8/05
    It's time to remember the magic!

Lou Mongello is offline Lou Mongello (AKQJ10) - Disney Expert, Host, Author, Speaker and Entrepreneur
    I'm REALLY looking forward to experiencing Soarin' next weekend!! I'll try to bring back as many pictures (and video?) as possible!
    Lou Mongello
    Host, Author & Site Owner
    AKQJ10 >: 4 8 15 16 23 42

Video isn't possible. They make youput everything under your seat and they tell you not to video tape it. Pictures may be available of the inside of the Land but during all the previews if they saw you with a camera out, they kicked the entire tour out, so I don't know what the 'rules' will be for the preview weekends. I'll be there riding it for awhile though. lol.
    - Jeanne

Aulani - September 2011

Belle1313 is offline When I Wish Upon A Star, I Wish To Go To WDW
    Soarin sounds awesome. I can't wait for my December trip. Lines will probably be huge but I have to go on at least once. I'm so excited.

Just use fastpass! Have fun!
    - Jeanne

Aulani - September 2011

becca0010 is offline A-Ticket holder
    Three days and counting!! I can't wait!

TrendyMagic is offline On Mars
    The que is setup for 3+ hours of wait. FP's are expected to be gone within a few hours of park opening. It is an awesome adventure!

Thanks Jason. :-)

Anyone who's going to AP weekend I'll be there so enjoy the ride! :-)
    - Jeanne

Aulani - September 2011

MainStreet, USA is offline I'm walking right down the middle of Main Street, USA!
    Southington, CT/Daytona Beach, FL/ Main Street, USA!
    I had a really cool dream last night about this attraction based on this review! Thanks for the exciting dreams! I hope the real thing was as cool as my dream was! Can't wait to try it out sometime in the next couple weeks!
    -Don-
    Your heart can just take wing,
    You can live out all your dreams...
    ...it's time to Remember the Magic!
    Yo Ho, Yo Ho, A Pilot's Life for Me...

tjcoolgirl15 is offline I wish I was an Oscar Meyer Weiner!
    OK, I'm just wondering, but, my mom always gets sick on the motion simulator rides. But, for some reason she thinks she'll love Soarin' because she's always wanted the feeling of hang gliding. What do you think?
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow, just a dream away!
    Prince Charming, will you marry me?
    I saw on TV that listening to Mozart makes you smart. So if you listen to Elvis, you'll become a GENIUS!

Quote Originally Posted by tjcoolgirl15
    OK, I'm just wondering, but, my mom always gets sick on the motion simulator rides. But, for some reason she thinks she'll love Soarin' because she's always wanted the feeling of hang gliding. What do you think?
    anytime. i'm glad you had a fun dream!
    - Jeanne

Aulani - September 2011

TrendyMagic is offline On Mars
    Soarin' is very gentle and if the movement of the video for some reason makes you feel sick, just close your eyes. Very little movement.

MainStreet, USA is offline I'm walking right down the middle of Main Street, USA!
    Southington, CT/Daytona Beach, FL/ Main Street, USA!
    A little report of my own...

Just rode it yesterday... twice! They were only letting in Annual Passholders, Seasonal Passholders (like me!), and Disney Vacation Club members. Each was allowed one guest with them. The first time we were in the third (lowest) row, and the second time we got the first (highest) row. Both were incredible, but I too recommend the first row for the best view with the least obstructions. I spotted one of the hidden mickeys. I hear there are three of them, and I know where two of them are located, but I only saw one (i was too busy being impressed to care at the time). By the way, if you haven't seen The Emperor's New Groove yet, see it before riding this. They aren't related in any way, but I think it makes the Soarin' preshow just a little bit funnier. Patrick Warburton, the voice of Kronk, is "Patrick, your chief flight attendant", who gives you your preflight safety briefing.

For those of you concerned your kids might not like it, I didn't hear any screaming or carrying-on from any children (or adults acting like children for that matter) either time. It gets dark only during the transitions to and from the elevated "flying" positions to give the illusion that you go from being on the ground to *poof*, you're in the air... soarin'. Each blackout only lasts a few seconds (maybe 5-10?). There is very little movement once you are "airborne" (the chairs do swing a little), but you will be given the illusion of more movement than is actually taking place, especially if you try to look straight down. By the way, although I had fun looking down, i don't recommend it if you are not particularly fond of heights or flying. Also, the noise level is plenty tolerable. I've heard much worse at other attractions. There is little to suprise you in terms of sudden noises, so any loud noises are pretty much expected and not sudden. Most of the background is just that... background. Running water from rivers and such. The music is typically the loudest part. Oh, and be sure to listen for some of the subtle but funny sounds in the background, such as the skier going "Ummph!" as he lands (sort of) his jump off the ridge above. There are only three things that I could identify as possible surpises that might startle you. At one point you experience a formation fly-by from some fighter aircraft, but they are far enough away that they aren't really loud... so it's more the sudden sight of them that's suprising, and not the sound. Another suprise you will run into is... well, I'll just say you should keep an eye out when flying over the golf course. That one made me jump the first time. And the final startling moment might be the fireworks at the end, one of which (i think the very last one) is pretty loud. But the ride is over right after that, so if it does scare someone... too bad, they've already gotten through it, right? Otherwise, as long as your kids (or yourself) do not have a fear of flying, you should have no problem enjoying this attraction.

As for those of you wondering if it is going to be a permanent attraction or not, go have a walk into the World Showcase and go into Canada. Go to the back of the street in Canada (right above where the waterfall is), and take a look straight back at the massive building you can see rising up behind the Canada scene. That's the new building that houses Soarin'. There is no way Disney would build a building as large as that if they didn't have some form of long-term plan for it. I don't think Soarin' is going anywhere for a long, long time.

Oh, and one more thing. Although the seats are kind of silvery and look like they are metal or hard plastic and uncomfortable, you'll be pleasantly suprised once you sit down. Go ahead... whip your head back into the seatback (not too hard though... I don't want to be responsible if you do hurt yourself somehow). I did it, and found that the seats are actually made of some elasticy material that felt a lot like a trampoline! It was cool!

I can only identify a couple negative aspects of this attraction, and they really aren't anything major in my opinion, although someone else might be more negatively effected by it than I was. First of all, the passage leading you from the Land pavilion to the Soarin' ride itself is modeled to resemble an airport. That's good... except for the fact that it feels like walking from concourse A to concourse infinity! It is a pretty long walk, and if you are traveling with someone suffering from limited mobility, they might find it a little bit difficult to get to and from the attraction itself. My second gripe comes from the smellitzer effects. The smell of pine while flying over the river lined with forest was very impressive, and being so excited about this new ride and all, I loved it. But when we flew over the orange grove and they hit us with the "citrus" smell... it smelled like it was about time to change the Glade Plug-in. I don't know... maybe it was because I think I'm coming down with a cold, but the oranges smelled more like chemicals than oranges. In fact, orange scented 409 cleanser smells more like orange than the orange scent in Soarin' did. But you still get the idea of what they were going for, so it's not a big deal. Third gripe (not really a gripe, I'm just playing now)... I think they need to hand out peanuts and a half-can of coke!

With all being said, and the scores tallied and finalized, I'd have to say that, ladies and gentlemen... I have a new favorite attraction at EPCOT!
    -Don-
    Your heart can just take wing,
    You can live out all your dreams...
    ...it's time to Remember the Magic!
    Yo Ho, Yo Ho, A Pilot's Life for Me...

MommytoMJM is offline DisneyWorldTrivia Mod - Living Disney as a Lifestyle
    Quote Originally Posted by tjcoolgirl15
    I was terrified to go on because of my extreme motion sickness.....I am happy to report that I went on twice back to bak, didn't bother me at all, even in the front row. It is awesome.
    Bonny June, Homeschooler, Webmaster and SNK/Adoption Advocate~~Marjorie June Mailani Adopted SNK, Disney Fanatic, Joyous, Cheerful, Incredible Kid~~Andrew, Cast Member, Disney Reservations Center~~Heart Mom to Cody (adoption loss 10-00)
    (linkie fixed...heh heh, thanks Val!)

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast