Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Trip Reports & Member Reviews Discuss Quote of the trip in the Vacation Planning forums; Sunday night, September 21st. We're walking around Magic Kingdom, and I tell my parents that after we get dinner, we'll call it a night and secure a place to watch ...
    mritty is offline Fastpass Holder

Quote of the trip

Sunday night, September 21st. We're walking around Magic Kingdom, and I tell my parents that after we get dinner, we'll call it a night and secure a place to watch the fireworks.

My mother says: "Is it really going to look any different than it did yesterday?"

To which I look at her confusedly and tell her "Yesterday we were in Epcot. This is the Magic Kingdom".

"Right... so?... Wait, you mean we're not watching the same show from a different perspective?! Each park has their *own* fireworks show?!!?!?"

Apparently I did not do a very good job of expressing to her the size of WDW and the distance between the parks.... :-)

SnwhtNdwrfs is offline Dancing with the dwarfs!
    Being entertained by the voices in my head
    That is hilarious and slightly sad! However, my inlaws would be like that.

So how did she like it?

To my shock and happiness, both of my parents really enjoyed the trip. They were seriously shocked at all of Fantasmic, Illuminations, and Wishes, and that they're put on *every night* (I didn't bother mentioning the change to Fantasmic in January).

They both told me that this was their best vacation ever, if for no other reason than they didn't have to think once during the trip, because I'd planned it all out and served as tour guide and social director. Dad made a couple *slightly* negative comments about some of the rides he considered to be kiddie-esque (Peter Pan, Buzz Lightyear, Monsters Inc), but that was it. I think he was more impressed with the landscaping and horniculture of the parks than anything else.

We were also on the Free DDP, and they were absolutely astonished at the restaurants and food portions we got from it. Frankly, so was I. Did you know that the $13.99 Ribs + Chicken combo at Cosmic Rays is included as a quick-service option? Or that the Steak & Shrimp combo at Teppan Edo is included as a table-service option? Or any of the absurdly expensive entreÚs at Tutto Italia. We stuffed ourselves every day, very contently.

My mother was thrilled and my father was incredulous when we won Dream Fastpasses in the Magic Kingdom. I had already explained the YoaMD to them, and pointed out how few prizes are really given, and that I'd already won 3 times previously.

Oh, and my special surprise to them was that I took them to Cirque Du Soleil our second night (I'd never seen it either). That blew them away completely.

They've already told me that if they offer the Free Dining promotion again next year, I should just go ahead and book it as soon as I can, and then let them know what days to take off from work. :-) Really, when you think about it, it was a pretty incredible deal - we paid $1,216.68. That's just over $400/person for: 6 day tickets, 5 night hotel reservervation, transportation to/from the parks, transportation to/from the airport, and all of our meals (we used a snack option to get a bagel or croissant or fruit for breakfast each morning). So I can easily see why they'd be willing to do it again next year.

My mother told me yesterday that Dad has already started telling his brothers about the trip and praising me for guiding them around for the week. That makes me happy... :-)

Overall, the trip really went far better than I expected. An absolute success!
    Last edited by mritty; 09-26-2008 at 08:59 AM. Reason: typo

lilo88 is offline DisneyWorldTrivia.com Lifetime Pass
    Thats great Mritty! Glad you all had fun!
    Tiffany~║o ~ D23 member

Sufferer of Disney Vacation Depression

97'~French Quarter, 99'~CBR, 01'~Movies, 03'~Music/PORriverside/DCL, 05'~POP, 06'~Movies, 08'~Movies, 09'~Disneyland/ Embassy Suites Irvine/ 10'~Music, 12'~LBV Best Western Disney View

Keasmom is offline DisneyWorldTrivia.com Lifetime Pass
    That is awesome. So happy this was a great trip, and that they had fun. I know you planned hard and those choices paid off, big time. Don't you love the sounds of the newly converted? Happiness for you .
    P.U.S.H.-A mantra MOST will not understand.

Disney rocks, Walt was a genius.

Thanks very much, lilo and Keasmom. :-)