Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Trip Reports & Member Reviews Discuss Spyne's WDW Trip Report! - 9.18.08-9.26.08 in the Vacation Planning forums; I've been meaning to sit down and do this earlier, but ever since I've been back I've been very swamped with work. Seriously; between school, job, and personal business. But, ...
    Spyne is offline Fastpass Holder

Spyne's WDW Trip Report! - 9.18.08-9.26.08

I've been meaning to sit down and do this earlier, but ever since I've been back I've been very swamped with work. Seriously; between school, job, and personal business. But, I'm eager to finally talk about my amazing trip!

A couple notes before I begin though. I'll mention it later, but I obviously took a lot of photos and videos on this trip. Photos I'm beginning to upload beginning now, videos will come at a later time. Also because this is my first trip in a long time, quite a lot of attractions and such are new to me this time around. So please keep that in mind. With all the chit chat out of the way, let's begin.

Day 1 - Arrival | Downtown Disney | Epcot - 9.18.08

Our journey began here at home waking up around 3-3:30am. Sure enough after getting ready and completing any left-over things to do before we left, off we went to the airport around 4-4:30am. On the car ride there and arriving at the airport, it was still hard to fathom I was actually returning to WDW after so long (almost 8 years, last trip was November 2000). It really sunk in when we boarded the plane and then taking off just after 7:00am. Then was when my excitement grew higher and higher. Having my camera and camcorder in tow, I was ready to capture the magic as it happens on this trip. We arrived at Orlando International Airport around 10 something in the morning, don't remember too well. With us having Disney's Magical Express and the first time using it, it couldn't have worked better. It was just such a relief not to deal with the baggage claim and lug everything around. We checked in to the Disney's Magical Express counter then lined up for our bus bound for Caribbean Beach. It wasn't even five minutes and we all ready boarded our bus and soon enough got going. Also as luck would have it, CBR was the first resort we were stopping at!

We arrived at CBR's Custom House and checked in. But of course with it being way too early to actually enter our room, we took the internal bus over to Old Port Royale to begin exploring. With this being our first time staying at CBR and knowing it's the largest resort on property, I knew we'd do a lot of walking. But heck, the high energy didn't deter me at all from it. We had some lunch at the Old Port Royale food court, and afterwards I walked over to the gift shop and purchased two pins. One being the WDW 2008 logo, the other being an Epcot 25th Anniversary pin, being the huge Epcot nut I am. We then walked around Old Port Royale outside a little more, and we decided to check out the pool and cool off. Obviously with the pool refurb ending the week before we arrived, the pool looked just awesome. I also had a fun time going down a couple of the slides! We hung out at the pool until around 2:30pm, where my dad went to see if the room was ready yet at Jamaica. Sure enough it was, and there were our bags waiting for us. Thanks DME! Our room had a nice cozy feel to it, and I was happy just to be back in WDW again.

After hanging out in the room for a while, we then decided to head out to our first destination. That first destination being Downtown Disney, as we had a dinner reservation at Cap'n Jack's Restaurant. Arriving at Downtown Disney - Marketplace, we sent straight to Cap'n Jack's to make our reservation time and we didn't have to wait too long. Overall, I really enjoyed everything about the place. It had great atmosphere, really good food, and some of the most friendly CM's you can meet. (Also while we're on food, we got the free Dining Plan for this trip, which turned out to just work perfectly.) So after that, we explored the Downtown Disney - Marketplace some more including the World of Disney store before heading over to Epcot. It was great seeing (at least some of) DTD again, and I remembered what great energy it really is. I would soon be able to explore the rest of Marketplace, then Pleasure Island and West Side later on in this trip.

As I stated all ready, we then headed over to Epcot to see a viewing of my favorite nighttime extravaganza on property, IllumiNations. Seeing my favorite park again, especially at night, and even more because of the recent 25th Anniversary...I was speechless. It was just that feeling of "I'm home." I especially felt speechless as I rounded the corner and saw Spaceship Earth. I still get goosebumps even today thinking about that first glimpse. We entered the park, and sure enough we saw that Spaceship Earth had virtually no wait time. We had time before IllumiNations started, so we decided to hop on. Obviously this is my first time seeing the attraction since the Siemens sponsorship and refurb, so I was eager to see it with my own eyes; also because I avoided spoilers online. My honest opinion? I thought it was really great, all the set pieces and scenes of the ascent are just fantastic looking. Siemens did a great, great job with this. I like it a lot!

I also may be in a minority here, but I thought the descent and touch screen features were well done for what they are. Sure, it may not be what it was before; but I think it's still entertaining enough. The Project Tomorrow post-show is definitely much more robust than it was before. I liked all the innovative features and really the futuristic feel. Overall; I think Siemens did a great, if not decent job with this refurb. The descent has that "something missing", but it's still accepting enough. We then made our way walking to World Showcase to get our spot for IllumiNations, and it was just so heartwarming to be in the center of Future World again with the Fountain of Nations. It was such feelings of nostalgia and also rememberance of the videos I saw of the 25th Anniversary rededication ceremony. Even though I wasn't there that day, I got that feeling like I was. It's just too amazing to describe really. Going into World Showcase and getting our spot (I believe near Mexico), again I got that heartwarming feeling. As always, IllumiNations was just as fantastic as I remember it and still holds as my favorite fireworks show on property. It's also the music that gets me, so powerful and gripping.

Obviously afterwards, we were pretty wiped from all the travel and went back to CBR for the night. It was a great way and a memorable way to begin what would be our amazing trip. Obviously as you can hopefully tell, this was almost an emotional experience for me to really be physically in Epcot again. But it wouldn't be the last time I experience it this time! Coming up next is day two, where it's our first "official" park day, beginning with Epcot! Thanks for reading, see you next entry!

PHOTOS: Picasa Web Albums - Jay - Walt Disney W...
    Keep it cool, and keep moving forward!

Trips to Walt Disney World

1995: Port Orleans French Quarter - 2000: All-Star Music
    2008: Caribbean Beach - 2009: Pop Century
    NEXT TRIP: Sep/Oct 2011 - WDW's 40th Anniversary!

GIOny is offline Premium Annual Passholder
    you got alot done in one day-great report. I guess after 8 years you want to get in a much as you can
    It's kind of fun to do the impossible!

ImaMouser is offline D-Ticket Holder
    Wow! 8 years since the last visit. Can't wait to "see" through your eyes how much it has changed. You didn't mention how old you are but your sister looks like a teen so I'm guessing you are too. It will be interesting to hear what you had forgotten about WDW since you were quite a bit younger last trip. At least you didn't wait 37 years before you ever went as I did.

Anyway, you have me pumped for our January trip. I also love EPCOT but it's a close second behind the Magic Kingdom for me. I love that "I'm home" feeling as well. There is something soothing to the soul about that place.

Can't wait to hear more. Don't wait too long!
    Walt is the man, Mickey is the mouse but Minnie is THE WOMAN

Spodie is offline Fastpass Holder
    I really like the new SE refurb too, Spyne! I know a lot of people don't think it's the best refurb, but I really like what they did with it.
    ~Ashleigh

Spyne is offline Fastpass Holder
    Quote Originally Posted by ImaMouser View Post
    You didn't mention how old you are but your sister looks like a teen so I'm guessing you are too. It will be interesting to hear what you had forgotten about WDW since you were quite a bit younger last trip.
    On the contrary ImaMouser; my sister is actually 23 and I'm 20. A lot of people say we look younger than we really are. Guess it's not completely a bad thing, eh? You're right about maybe what I had "forgotten", but surprisingly it's not a lot despite me being 12 during my last visit in 2000. Glad you're enjoying my report so far. So you want more? You got it!

Day 2 - Epcot

After having some breakfast at Old Port Royale, we hopped on the bus bound for Epcot. We had a bus driver that actually spoke to us and joked around, which turned out to be the only bus driver to do that on our whole trip. He asked if anybody knew what Epcot stands for, (Experimental Prototype Community of Tomorrow) and I piped up saying it, even though it probably was just common knowledge. I was still proud to be the one to say it though! We arrived at Epcot and entered the turnstyles to begin our day. It was great once again seeing Spaceship Earth shining in the Florida sun, and our first destination is Test Track. It was just as awesome as I remember it from last time; it may of been just me, but it did seem a LOT faster than the last time I rode it (2000). The outdoor "speed test" is still my favorite part. We then walked back towards the Fountain of Nations because my sister wanted to buy a pin lanyard (I wore mine to all the parks). From there; I wanted to find the 25th Anniversary Gallery hidden somewhere in Innoventions West, so after a little bit of searching, we found it!

I'm so happy we were able to see this for many reasons. First; me being a huge Epcot fan, second, because I wasn't able to be here for the actual 25th Anniversary. Even after seeing so many pictures and videos people have put up here online, it was really something to finally see it with my own eyes and actually stand inside it in person. Just seeing 25 years of history contained in one place...it's too amazing for words. You'll see a few photos I took, but the video I took explores it even more. I guess now with the gallery looking to be closed for good, I'm very fortunate to have seen it now. It would of been a downer if it closed before I got to see it. But in any case, it was so happy yet satisfying to see it for myself! We then decided to hop onto Mission: SPACE. This was my first time riding it and we did the more intense orange version. I was slightly nervous just because it's so intense. I turned out to be the "commander", and it was really awesome, the g-force almost felt so authentic. I know some people come off sick or feeling weird, but surprisingly I was just fine. I really had a great time on it!

We were getting hungry at this point, so we decided to go to Sunshine Seasons inside The Land. I was really surprised at how huge it is, and the food wasn't that bad either. I liked it! We then noticed the wait time for Soarin' was pretty long all ready; we knew we were going to be back tonight during EMH, so we decided to hold off on Soarin' until tonight. We then walked past the Imagination! pavillion (we would do it later) heading over to The Seas with Nemo & Friends. Now this was my first time visiting it since the Finding Nemo re-branding, so I was going in with an open mind. My sister and I especially are fans of Finding Nemo, so we were sort of excited for it as well. We then hopped onto the ride, The Seas with Nemo & Friends, and it wasn't that bad. I do like how it was the real aquatic life with the characters from the film projected onto it. It was definitely an interesting dark ride. What was also really cool was we saw a lot of the aquatic life in the demonstrations, we even saw some divers in the tank! No, we didn't see Mickey, but that would of been awesome if we did. We then wrapped it up by viewing Turtle Talk with Crush. It was actually much more interactive than I thought it would be, Crush even reacted to a young child who was crying loudly. I laughed at some points by his remarks as well!

After we were finished with The Seas with Nemo & Friends, we decided to head back to CBR so we wouldn't wear ourselves thin. We cooled off at the pool for a little bit, then later on we went back to Epcot to meet our dinner reservation at Tutto Italia Ristorante. We walked over to World Showcase and began on the Canada side on our way to Italy. I really like the look of World Showcase at night, with the torches lit and the feeling like it's a street festival. We didn't spend a lot of time looking around because we knew we would come back to explore World Showcase more in-depth. We arrived at Italy and Tutto Italia Ristorante, and we highly enjoyed ourselves. The restaurant was packed and extremely busy, but the CM's still managed to provide us excellent service and just as excellent food as well. Everything I had was just extremely good, and we really enjoyed our experience there. To cap off the night and to take advantage of EMH, we hopped onto Soarin' after a little bit of a wait. This was my first time riding it, and I found it so much fun! I have a fear of heights, but surprisingly I was just fine. All the wait time for this is definitely worth it, Soarin' is definitely a ride that shouldn't be missed by anybody!

Well, that concludes day two at Epcot! Stay tuned for day three, this time at Disney's Animal Kingdom & returning to Downtown Disney! Thanks for reading, see you next entry!

PHOTOS: Picasa Web Albums - Jay - Walt Disney W...
    Keep it cool, and keep moving forward!

Trips to Walt Disney World

1995: Port Orleans French Quarter - 2000: All-Star Music
    2008: Caribbean Beach - 2009: Pop Century
    NEXT TRIP: Sep/Oct 2011 - WDW's 40th Anniversary!