Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Trip Reports & Member Reviews Discuss Shere_Khan's 2008 Walt Disney World Vacation: Oct 5-12 in the Vacation Planning forums; I am super late in posting this, but I hope you enjoy my trip report from Oct 5-12th. Day One: Our Arrival and The Magic Kingdom My day began at ...
    Shere_Khan is offline As the world falls down...

Shere_Khan's 2008 Walt Disney World Vacation: Oct 5-12

I am super late in posting this, but I hope you enjoy my trip report from Oct 5-12th.

Day One: Our Arrival and The Magic Kingdom

My day began at about 3 am after getting maybe 2 hours of sleep. We left my house at 4 am and headed to the airport in Detroit which is around a 2 hour drive my house. I was extremely nervous leading up to this. I have never had to actually figure out travel plans on my own before and I was the most seasoned traveller of the four of us. Oh and by the way the cast includes myself, my mother, my cousin, and my aunt. Once we got to the airport and through security and seated at our gate, I started to slowly calm down and start being more excited instead of nervous.
    Here we are at the airport....SO TIRED!

The plane ride was smooth - slept a bit and got my second win. We arrived at the airport at around 10:20 and headed straight for the Magical Express. The line seemed extremely long but I got throught it rather quickly. They sent us to the bus line and we were the only ones in it for the POP Century. I was pretty glad because we boarded a bus immediately and were the first resort stop for that bus as well.
    We arrived at POP at about 12 and our room was ready. We were in the 80's section right near the Roger Rabbit statue. We stopped by the room and dropped off our carry ons and then headed for the bus stop to go to the Magic Kingdom.
    Here are some pics of the POP - these were taken over the course of the trip but I feel they are best posted here while I am talking about the resort itself.

The 80's:

The 70's:

The Hippy Dippy Pool and the 60's:

The 50's:

We arrived at the Magic Kingdom around 12:30 or so and let me just tell you, the Halloween decorations are absolutely wonderful.

Now I must say on this day I went a bit crazy. I think it was the lack of sleep and the excitement but I found myself going 100 miles a minute and trying to rush to fit everything in. So this day was somewhat of a whirl. I had to remind myself that we had seven full days and I needed to calm down and stop a while and take in the sights. However I did not get into that mode until the next day.
    This time at the Magic Kingdom we decided to start in Adventureland. I had never went that way first before. I always go over to Tomorrowland and work my way around. My cousin suggested we start in Adventureland and head towards the future. I liked that so I agreed. On our way to Adventureland we crossed the bridge and saw Rafiki off to the side with no line. We took up that opportunity and got a pic with him.

We headed to Pirates first of all with no wait, which I have to say might be my favorite ride in all of WDW. It is not thrilling or fast but there is just something about it. I absolutely love it and I feel so immersed in it like I am actually in this world. I love it!

After Pirates we headed to the Jungle Cruise which is not a favorite of mine by any means. The wait was 20 minutes but felt longer. We didn't get a fast pass because we wanted to not have to come back there at a later time. Our skipper was quite entertaining though so it was alright.

We took a walk through Swiss Family Robinson Treehouse next, which is also a favorite of mine from when I was a child. My brother was huge into building forts and treehouses back then and it always makes me think of him and I remember the first time we saw it together. Good times!

After this we headed into Frontierland to get a fast pass for Splash or Big Thunder. They were both at 45 minute waits so we decided to grab a pass for Big Thunder and save Splash for another time or day.

After grabbing the pass we headed over to the Haunted Mansion. On the way the Dreams parade was just beginning. We stopped on the pathway near the water and watched a bit of it from a distance. I had not seen this parade before but snapped a few pictures of the pretty princesses.

"Almost everyone is mad here. You may have noticed that I'm not all there myself." - Chesire Cat

"You have spirit for one so small, and that spirit deserves a fighting chance." - Shere Khan

Day One Continued....

The Haunted Mansion makeover was absolutely phenomenal. The new staircase scene was so awesome and I loved the new bride. So much more realistic and creepy then the old one. The candelabra at the end of the hallways was much clearer then I remembered it and the Ghost Host's voice in the beginning was much clearer and boucned around the room much more. Fantastic!

We skipped the presidents for today and went back over to Frontierland to use our pass. Love that BTM!
    Fantasyland was next on the list. We hit up small world, Snow White, Philharmagic, and Peter Pan's Flight. There were minimal waits on all of these.

My favorite scene from small world:

We got into Tomorrowland a little late. MK was closing for a Halloween party at 7 so we did not spend much time there and I did not take too many pictures for it was getting darker out. We jumped on Space Mountain and Buzz before leaving and saved the rest of Tomorrowland for another day.
    I took many more pictures of the remaining days. I think that first day I was just in get it done mode. The rest of the trip was much slower and more relaxing.
    I will post the rest soon. Thanks for reading Day One.

"Almost everyone is mad here. You may have noticed that I'm not all there myself." - Chesire Cat

"You have spirit for one so small, and that spirit deserves a fighting chance." - Shere Khan

Day Two: Epcot

Day Two was reserved for Epcot. We probably got a start at around 9:30 this morning and headed over to Epcot. It was extremely hot but looked like the day should be nice.

The first thing we did was get right onto Spaceship Earth. Bug surprise huh? There was no line and we walked right in. I was really excited to see the changes in the ride. I do miss Jeremy Irons, but the Dame did a really nice job with the narration. Seeing all the animatronics a little crisper was definitely nice, I really got into the ride. As for the descent, after reading negative review after negative review from all of the people over at WDW Magic I couldn't help but be skeptical of what it might be like. I enjoyed the descent immensely and loved the addition of the touch screens. The pictures of your face on the stick figures was hysterical and how they themed the story around your choices was really ingenious. I thought it was really cool and a great addition to the ride. I don't care what anyone says.
    After this we headed over to get a fast pass for Soarin. This was what everyone was the most excited for. I was the only one who had seen it before and even I was going crazy with excitement to ride it again. While we were waiting for our fast pass time we hit up Living with the Land. There was no wait for this either.

I like the nine pound lemon!

We walked by Circle of Life and decided to pass it at this time and come back to it later on another day. We still had some time to wait for Soarin so we headed over to The Seas with Nemo. This ride I felt had a lot of potential to be great and turned out just so so. I enjoy the projected fish on the wall, but it seems very monotonous and the high point of the ride is heading into the Jellyfish and perhaps the EAC. I just think they could have added a lot more to it.

Spaceship Earth from a different spot:

After this it was time for Soarin. SENSATIONAL AS ALWAYS!! It took my mom's breath away, she actually was crying. I was really glad she loved it. I had hyped it up to much I was hoping it would not disappoint. Although there is no way it could. Phenomenal ride!

We had lunch reservations at The Rose and Crown for 12 o clock, we headed over to England by way of Canada and had some time to spare so we checked out Canada for a bit. It is my least favorite pavillion in the World Showcase so I figured we would look around and be done with it for probably the remainder of the trip.

I very much enjoyed our lunch at The Rose and Crown. My cousin and I got Fish n Chips, my mother got som vegetable curry thing, and my Aunt got the Shepard's Pie. The Shepards Pie was tiny and I don't think she was crazy about it, but you cannot go wrong with Fish n Chips and our waitress was a doll. I was glad to have gotten to go there. It was very nice.

Once we came outside we saw Alice and Mary Poppins. Surprisingly enough they were not bombarded. I think it was early enough into the World Showcase where most people were still in Future World.

We wanted to head back into Future World to finish up the things we had not done so we went back and headed over to Universe of Energy. This was one that I had missed on my last trip. I had intended to go there but heard the length of the show and did not have time before my lunch reservation that time. I then said I would go back and forgot to. So this time I was determined to go on it. Ellen just cracks me up. I am so glad they have her featured in a ride. Although they should update some of the footage. The dinosaur part was very cool and just the entire ride concept was unlike any other type of ride I have experienced. It's so crazy when you go into those ride buildings that don't seem exceptionally large and then you feel like you have travelled miles once inside. It was a good ride.
    After this we went on Mission: Space - green version of course. I went on that intense one back in 2003 and NEVER AGAIN! I wanted to ralph the entire rest of the day. My cousin is bothered by motion sickness and my mom is just lame like me so we opted for green. Still a cool ride, not anywhere near long enough however. Especially in the green version, on the orange it seems like an eternity so you can get off the ride, but the green seemed much too short.
    Test Track was next and there was a 40 minute wait. We decided not to get a fast pass since we wanted to head over to the World Showcase after and we did not want to have to hike back there later. The wait was much longer then 40 minutes. I would say an hour and twenty at least. When we were almost to the entrance to the ride a cast member announced on the intercom that due to incoming weather the ride may be stopped at any time. We could see the clouds rolling in through the windows but hoped and prayed that we would make it in just in time. The announcement was given several times after and we got into the room to watch the video. We then got onto the ride and started to go. We were just about to be in the heat chamber when our car stopped and most of the lights went off. An announcement came on that we would be stopped and may continue at any time. However we did not continue. We sat in the car for 25 minutes. Finally a cast member came to get us and apparently the rain had not let up and was not going to. They had to close the ride. I was upset, but then felt kind of cool as we got out of our cars and physically walked through the heat, ice, and corrosion chambers. Pretty sweet!

We were given a fast pass to come back at any time during our trip. We had plans to be in Epcot more then once so this was no big deal. We headed into MouseGears in search of ponchos and were told they were $8. At first I found that to be ridiculous for a garbage bag but we soon realized we had no choice so we got them. And it's a good thing too, you will find out why in the rest of my trip report. :glare:

Day Two Continued...

We started around the countries again, going the same way towards Canada.

France:

Morocco:

We sat down near America to have a turkey leg for dinner and saw that En Vogue was the entertainment for the night.

It was now dark and we did not scope out the other countries too closely, we wanted to save that for another day in daylight. My camera does not do well at night either. We headed over to Norway to get on the Maelstrom. That ride is actually fun, I had forgotten. I had not been on it since 1995. After that we went over to Mexico to check out that ride. I was really excited. It was closed for refurbishment on my last trip and I had actually never been on it at all. I thought it was super cute and I loved the last part where you go through the town at night and see the fireworks on the ceiling. The song was extremely catchy and I was singing it the rest of the night.

China:

We then went out and found a spot for Illuminations. My cousin and I headed to Norway's bakery to get a piece of chocolate cake which was outstanding. While we were gone my mother and aunt were talking to this guy and his daughter who were from Ireland. It had been his life long dream to come to WDW ever since he was younger and he was finally doing it. Just listening him talk about the magic made me realize how lucky I was to be able to be there as well. We watched the fireworks and headed back to the bus just as it began to pour. Thus concluding a fun filled day two!!

Day Three will be posted tomorrow!

ToddBreakey is offline Fastpass Holder
    I'm sure you noticed the Hidden Mickey in the lower right of the "Viva Donald" display but I didn't see it when I was there. Wish I would have caught that one.

"You shouldn't play leapfrog with a porcupine. You might get hurt." - Eliza Breakey, Age 4

I HATE being back in the real world!!!!

SnwhtNdwrfs is offline Dancing with the dwarfs!
    Being entertained by the voices in my head
    I didn't notice it til you pointed it out!

SnwhtNdwrfs is offline Dancing with the dwarfs!
    Being entertained by the voices in my head
    I am enjoying these trip reports!

I didn't even notice it either. How cool!!! Thanks for pointing it out Todd!

I will get more up soon!

MayBWeRMnt2B is offline living happily ever after...
    Great report so far!!!
    - Jeanne

Engaged at Sunset Point - July 17th, 2008
    Married at Sunset Point - March 3, 2009
    Disney World & Disneyland Honeymoon

Aulani - September 2011

Wishes can come true, if you believe in them with all your heart.
    And the best part is, you'll never run out of wishes.
    They're shining deep down inside of you.
    'Cause that my friends is where the magic lives

Keasmom is offline DisneyWorldTrivia.com Lifetime Pass
    This all sounds lovely, and it looks like you all got a good soaker. Your photos are awesome and your travel group looks like a lot of fun to be with. Can't wait for the next installment. Oh, were there any "minnie" travelers with you? Like maybe the next plush traveling?
    P.U.S.H.-A mantra MOST will not understand.

Disney rocks, Walt was a genius.

smith913 is offline Fastpass Holder
    Your pictures are wonderful! We were there on Oct. 11-18th! I was surprised by the crowds. Were you? I didn't think they were that big the other times we went in Oct. Love your Pop Century photos! We stayed in the '50s. Keep 'em coming! I am loving your trip reports!!
    Samantha

October 2005 - All Star Movies, October 2006 - Pop Century, October 2008 - Pop Century, October 2009 - Pop Century, October 2011 - Pop Century

Quote Originally Posted by smith913 View Post
    Your pictures are wonderful! We were there on Oct. 11-18th! I was surprised by the crowds. Were you? I didn't think they were that big the other times we went in Oct. Love your Pop Century photos! We stayed in the '50s. Keep 'em coming! I am loving your trip reports!!
    Yes the crowds were awful I thought! The first two days we were there it was ok, but after that it was really bad. On the 11th was our last day and we went to MK. It was ridiculous!

Thanks for the nice comments everyone. I am working on getting the next day up.

Day Three: Disney's Hollywood Studios

On Day Three we went to Disney's Hollywood Studios. I had not visited this park on my last trip because of time issues so it had been 5 years since my last visit. I was extremely excited for Toy Story Midway Mania. So upon arrival we headed in that direction first to get passes.

On our way over to Toy Story, we noticed the Walt Disney One Man's Dream attraction. We were not going to go in because we were on a mission for Toy Story, but there was a cast member standing outside trying to get people to go in and no one was. So I thought, hey! I want to see this, let's do this first. And here is where it gets really exciting!
    We walked in and went around the corner and the dream squad was standing there handing out dream fastpasses!! I was jumping up and down with excitement!

The fastpass was for Midway Mania, Rock N Roller Coaster, Tower of Terror, Star Tours, Lights Motor Action, Voyage of the Little Mermaid, and Indiana Jones!

We then walked around the Walt Disney Exhibit and watched the film. It was fantastic! I had never seen it before. What a great place to win a dream!

It turns out that the fastpasses were not really needed for any of the shows, but when we headed over to Midway Mania, the fast pass return was already at 6 PM and it was only around 10:30 am. I am so glad we got the dream pass. Not sure if we would have gotten on Midway Mania and Rock N Roller Coaster so quick that day. We used our fastpass right away on Midway Mania. What a COOL ride!!! I had so much fun! I was really impressed with it and so glad we did not have to wait so long.

We then went over to watch the Indiana Jones show which is always a good time. My mom volunteered to be an extra but she didn't stand up fast enough so she didn't get picked. It would have been hillarious if she had though. I got some nice shots during the show.

After this we had just a few minutes before our lunch reservations at the 50's Prime Time Cafe. I enjoyed it but am kinda wishing I had chosen the Sci Fi. I had been to Sci Fi before though, so I guess a new experience is always good. We all chose the stacked sandwich and salad. It was really good and I loved the dressing on the salad. Our waitress was so so. She played the part good, but maybe too well because we hardly saw her.

After lunch we headed over to get on the Rock N Roller Coaster. Some shots on the way over there.

I just love this ride! I get all antsy and scared right before we take off. That feeling is just absolutely insane. My mom is not the best on roller coasters and I convinced her to go. She liked it also, although her picture was hillarious. She was literally keeled over in the seat when the photo was taken. I would have bought it, but it seems their photo prices went up since I last remember and I couldn't justify it. I'd rather splurge on food then photos.

We did not go on Tower this time. I just can't do it. I have done it once before and thought it was terrible. Can't do the dropping. I chicken out every time and well...that's just the way it is I guess. No one else wanted to either, so I guess that made me feel better.

Next we headed over to the Animation building.

This was really cool. After the little show we went out to check out some of the stuff and Sorcerer Mickey was there doing meet n greets. The line was really long so we did not wait but we saw Frozone off in another section with no line so we hopped on that chance.

My mom with Wall-E:

My cousin is an amazing artist. AMAZING! So I thought this was pretty cool. We decided to try out the drawing class. We came in right before they were starting so the only seats were up front without desks. We used little boards to draw on. The guy was showing us how to draw Goofy. After he finished he walked around to check out some people's art. He stopped at my cousin's first and did a little double take. He was like "Wow! This one is better then mine!" He put her drawing up on the projector to show everyone. I thought that was so cool. She was really honored. We asked him to get her a job, but no luck with that!

The guy in the store drawing was really nice too. We talked with him for a while. His first name was Walt! How fitting!

We next headed over to catch the Lights Motor Action Stunt show which I was really excited to see. Once the show began it started pouring down rain. They had to stop for a bit but they then continued and it was still raining. I was really surprised they could perform in those conditions. But everything went smoothly. What a cool show! I really liked it, wish it had not been pouring though. Good thing we got those ponchos.

We then went over to the muppet show and Star Tours. I absolutely love the muppets. Too funny. I was glad to get to see this show again. Star Tours however...needs some work. I remembered it being cooler, but it had been years since I went on it.

Day Three Continued...

Here are some random pics from the day. I absolutely love the gardens they have. Just beautiful.

The day was coming to an end and we went over near Fantasmic to get something to eat and to go get our seats for the show. I just had a burger and fries out at one of the stands and then we walked in to sit down. Oh how I love this show. Here are a few pics that turned out alright.

Thus concludes Day Three - a wonderful day over all. There was a lot we missed but we planned to come back on one of the last days which you will hear about soon.

trickster is offline Hakuna Matata!!... It means no worries!!
    What a great report - and photos - so far! I can't wait to read more!!

We were in WDW the same time: When you were in MK on your first day, we were at Typhoon Lagoon followed by DHS. I certainly remember the next day when you were in Epcot and the heavens opened as we were in MK with Mini-V and had the same problem! The following day when you headed over to DHS, we were in Epcot!!!

Keep up the great work and I can't wait to read more!!
    Rich

"Most of my life I have done what I wanted to do. I have had fun on the job.
    I have never been able to confine that fun to office hours." ~ Walt Disney

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast