Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Trip Reports & Member Reviews Discuss Disneydarling's 2009 Trip Reports Thread! in the Vacation Planning forums; Originally Posted by DisneyDreamer13 Why cant ToT have a wimps version where you see all the cool stuff in the hotel, and then return using a lift that works fine ...
    Tinker Bell is offline DisneyWorldTrivia.com Lifetime Pass
    Quote Originally Posted by DisneyDreamer13 View Post
    Why cant ToT have a wimps version where you see all the cool stuff in the hotel, and then return using a lift that works fine ?
    There is, I took it with AJ.

Cinderella2 is offline Thrilled to know there are others who sparkle!
    WHAT!!!!! YOU MADE ME GO ON THE MEAN VERSION AND THERE IS A WIMP VERSION?!?!
    Dreams Really Do Come True

They have a plain elevator that takes you down to the photo viewing area if you don't want to ride. Not really a wimp version, more of a chicken exit.

Aw, man. I am glad I did it though, lived to tell I mean!

Keasmom is offline DisneyWorldTrivia.com Lifetime Pass
    Sounds like a really fun day for both of you, and bless his heart having a surgery. Star Tours is my DD's fav, she has refused to ride BTMRR so far, but told me to get ready because when we go back we have to ride all of the "big" rides. Yikes, I am the chicken mommy. Glad both of you had a good time and so sorry mr nasty pants couldn't find his nice button. Too many parents carry too much stress into the parks-yeeesh.
    P.U.S.H.-A mantra MOST will not understand.

Disney rocks, Walt was a genius.

Quote Originally Posted by Cinderella2 View Post
    Aw, man. I am glad I did it though, lived to tell I mean!
    Exactly. What would have been the fun in the alternative? Boring! We don't do boring.

butlers is offline Lost in Tenderness!!!!!!
    Just around the riverbend over the cobblestone corner of the high arched castle
    Quote Originally Posted by Cinderella2 View Post
    Okay, Meg..... Can I just bring him to Virginia for a weekend... He is absolutely insanely a cutie pie.... My boys would love him
    April 23rd, oh yeah it's gonna be ON!

disneydarling is offline ...and the mome raths outgrabe
    Here it is!!! What you have all been waiting for!!!!

My Sparkly Birthday Trip 1/18-1/19

Earlier this year I learned that my DS had to have a minor surgery, the knowledge of which caused me to cancel/ postpone a long anticipated WDW trip with MFP. Because it was alos my birthday weekend I became very despondent, moody, sad, inconsolable (maybe not, but I was disappointed). Noting my doom and gloom two of my best friends, Jenna (aka Thumper) and Shane (aka Grumpy) swooped in and kidnapped me for a weekend of birf-day fun (Riley is doing very well and was left in the capable hands of his pop-pop). Jenna is my bff from way back and former college roommate (she is also my companion for my upcoming trip to Paris). Shane is a friend from college (he was in a class I taught when I was a grad student) and is now a colleague. I am pretty much just me.

Jenna got us a room at the DTD Hilton (ooh la la) so we decided to meet there at 8:30, get our room keys, and not return until after EMH that night at MK (The Hilton is the only DTD hotel that enjoys EMH).

As I was driving down the 429 I made eye contact with the car in the next lane in one of those awkward look quick and look away moments (I did look long enough to rate him as a 9.5 on my Prince Charmingometer). I ended up in front of him at the toll booth and paid his toll (buying my karma one toll at a time folks). Five more miles down the road I glance in my rear view mirror and noticed he was right behind me. Thought nothing of it. I pull of at the WDW exit, still behind me. Turn left towards DTD, still behind me. At this point my imagination has got the best of me, what if he mistook my eye contact and toll payment as an invitation to canoodle at some location down the road?! I pull in to the Hilton and he is still behind me and at this point I am hyperventilating and trying to apply mascara and lipstick (just in case he really does want to canoodle) while hunting a parking spot. I then get out of the car and run from parked car to parked car, leapfrogging myself from one hiding space to the next all the way to the Hilton lobby. Shane reported later that from his vantage point it looked like I was playing paintball by myself. Needless to say I went completely uncanoodled.

Jenna, bless her sweet little heart, is A) always late; B) Always lost; and C) very gullible (this becomes important later in the story). Part of the reason that our friendship works so well is that I am A) always on time; B) never lost; and C) kind of paranoid. Shane had called at 8:25 to say he was at the hotel, I arrived at 8:29, and my phone rang at 8:50, it was Jenna.

Jenna: Hi! I’m lost!

Me: Ok, where are you?

Jenna: I just passed a big oak tree and there is a cloud to my left that looks like a shoe

Me: You are going to have to be a little more specific

Jenna: Ok, I just passed DHS…..is it past DHS?

Me: Well it depends on what direction you are coming from, what I4 exit did you take?

Jenna: I dunno, there was a minivan in front of me with a WDW antenna topper so I just followed them.

Me: what? Are you dumb?

And so on and so forth until Shane finally grabbed the phone and managed to guide our little lost ship into port.

My first job in college was as a chemistry tutor for the football team (Go Gators!). It lasted less than a week.

Footy McBall: What does C6H6 + CH3Cl yield

Brilliant Mc Meggy Pants: C6H5CH3 +HCl

Footy McBall: Why? How?

Brilliant McMeggy Pants: Because, and just because. Are you dumb?

I give directions in much the same way. You get the to the DTD Hilton by driving to the DTD Hilton!!!

After Jenna finally arrived we piled in Shane’s jeep and headed to DHS. The first order of business was to find someplace for Jenna to do her “business” and then made a bee line for Toy Story Mania fast passes. After securing our passes we scooted over to Sunset Blvd for some RnRC action (I had to drag Shane away from HSMIII first). Jenna opted not to ride (she is very claustrophobic and doesn’t like being strapped in) so Shane and I rode while she held my tiara.

I managed to avoid riding ToT by pretending that I didn’t see it and avoiding all conversation related to it. Worked like a charm. We did the Muppet Show next (somebody please update this) and then tried in vain to make the next Indy show. When we found Indy closed we headed over instead to the animation class to learn to draw Mickey Mouse. I am an artist, so mine looked like Mickey. Jenna’s and Shane’s both looked very “special”. Jenna’s looked like the love child of Mickey Mouse and the Green River Killer. Shane’s looked like “Alcoholic Drifter Mickey: Sorcerer Mickey’s “funny” uncle”. I have them hanging in my office and they still have me giggling.

Next we walked through one mans dream and grabbed a bite to eat at the commissary. At some point in the meal Jenna had to go perform her royal duties again. Shane and I decided it would be hi-lar-ious if we moved while she was gone so we picked up the entire table, moved to the opposite side of the restaurant and sat everything down just like it was. Jenna came out, looked around for about 5 minutes, found us, looked very confused but didn’t say anything and sat down.

Toy Story Mania was next. We were pulled out of the fast pass line, directed to the handicapped line, and then told to skip everyone and get on the ride. It was very odd. Jen and Shane loved the ride and both beat the pants off of me.

At this point in the venture we were just about DHS’ed out and decided to head on over to Epcot for a bit.

More to come later this afternoon!
    Last edited by disneydarling; 01-20-2009 at 03:07 PM.
    Sisterhood of the traveling pirate in the pants: charter member

A friend will help you mend a broken heart; a best friend will get a shovel and help you dig the hole.

Loving every minute of it! More please!

The cloud that looks like a shoe had me laughing out loud.

Oh, and loved the paintball comment and what do you mean Indy was closed?

Oh my gosh, Jenna and I were separated at birth.
    She must also be a brilliant, sparkly brunette with a semi-creepy obsession with glass slippers.

And why in the world did you not opt for the canoodling?!!!

disneydarling is offline ...and the mome raths outgrabe
    Part Two:

The Segway tutorial was our first stop at Epcot. I’ve done this before and just love love loved it. Because I was wearing my birthday pin (like a good little princess) I was called on to demonstrate the powers of the Segway to the masses, or rather I got to demonstrate the fact that the segway could be stopped with the mere force of a finger. The CM asked if I found it difficult to stop and I replied that “No, it wasn’t but then I am unusually strong”. The CM and audience were unsure if I was being funny or was just special.

We have all three decided to do a segway tour during our next visit and I would love to hear reviews from anyone who has done one. After Segway we made our way around WS. I got a $75 birthday card in lieu of the free park ticket and used a portion to buy a book on the social history of France and a guidebook to Paris in the French pavilion. We also watched Impressions de France. We stopped again in Morocco for coffee and baklava. Jenna stopped in China to potty (she has the bladder capacity of a nematode) and Shane and I once again decided it would be hilarious if we switched our walking direction when she came out..so we did a 180 and headed clockwise. Jenna seemed confused and kept commenting that she felt like she was having a case of déjà vous. About ½ way back around the world the hilariousness of it all had warn off and we took a boat back to the other side and looped over to Mexico. Jenna had no idea that anything was amiss.

Spaceship Earth was our last Epcot attraction and we all enjoyed our goofy patooty characters at the end. What use to happen during the descent? Anything?

We hopped back in Shane’s car and sped over to MK for the remainder of the evening. We had ADR’s for 7:50 @ Tony’s and arrived at the MK with about an hour to kill. We did Monsters Inc Laugh Floor first and Shane was “That Guy”!. They also interviewed the cutest little princess and asked her why Princess’s were bad at sports (the answer was suppose to be that they had pumpkins for coaches). The little princesses answer? “Because they are girls”. Oh sister, oh sister, I feel a bra burning coming on! I submitted a very funny joke (did you hear about the man who had his entire left side amputated? Don’t worry, he’s all right now) that didn’t get used – there is no accounting for taste.

We strolled around Main Street for a while and caught bits and pieces of the Parade. I used the last of my bday card to by a figurine of Cinderella on her carousel horse (so cute). Pooped out we decided to just go ahead and check in at Tony’s for the sake of getting off our feet for a while. A half hour of people watching later we were seated in a corner table by the front entrance (magical). Jenna and I had the Chicken Parm and Shane had the Vegetable Gnocchi. Overall I would rate Tony’s as a 6/10. The food and atmosphere were both so-so but the wait staff were polite and attentive. Plus they gave me ice cream

While waiting on our bills Shane and I had the opportunity to be hilarious yet again with “the melting butter trick”. Before I teach you how to do this trick you must first swear to appear surprised and amazed as if you have never heard of it before when I inevitably perform it for you (I have a very small repertoire of amusing tricks and have a tendency to repeat).

The Melting Butter Trick

As Performed by Disney McDarling

First you will need to unwrap a pat of butter and explain to the victim that the Na in salt and Ca in butter will undergo a chemical rxn that lets off heat. Then ask the victim to sprinkle table salt on top of the butter. By this point they are on the edge of their seats with anticipation. Now ask them to hold their hand, palm down, about two-three inches above the pat and tell you when they feel warm air. Finally in one fell swoop you jam the pat of butter into the palm of the hand and laugh like you are equal parts clever and mean.

The result is a oily, buttery smear that doesn’t wash off easily.

After Tony’s we decided it was BTMR time and rode 3 times almost in a row with no more than 5 minutes wait in between each ride. I love to ride in the back seat with my lap bar as loose as possible so I can bump around like a tennis shoe in the dryer. On our third ride Shane and I scored the back seat together and literally almost flipped out of our seats and into Jenna’s during one of the drops. Awesome.

Jen was a little queezy by now so we decided to let her walk it off on our way to Space Mountain. Unfortunately she was still a bit green about the gills by the time we reached our destination and opted once again to be the holder of the tiara while Shane and I rode.

We rode the racecars next, I was in front followed by Shane then Jen. At one point I noticed that I was way ahead of them (me and old #38 are supa-fast) so I stopped to wait. Shane was texting while driving, didn’t see that I was stopped and rammed into me from behind. Let this be a lesson to you all. Hang up and drive. About half way around the track I decided to let go of the wheel and drive in the manner of a pin ball machine…I am honest to goodness surprised I didn’t jump the durn track. It was actually really fun until my car made a terrible noise then lurched to a stop. Oopsy. By the time a CM got to me I had caused a huge traffic jam and at least one child was in tears because of my inability to get out of her way. In the end no one could get the car restarted so I had to do the walk of shame back to the exit. I broke Disney.

We did the Barnstormer next which is actually a fun little ride if only it were longer. Small World was next (Jenna’s favorite). She needed to potty again after SW (it’s a nematode thing) so once again, in the pursuit of hilarity, Shane and I decided to pull her chain. When she exited the bathroom we headed off in the direction of the SW queue and joined in. She was like “didn’t we just ride this?”. Shane and I looked totally confused “Um, no, you needed to pee first. Are you feeling ok?”. So we hopped back in the boats and I can see the wheels a-spinning in Jenna’s head. We had just made it into the South Pacific when she yelled out “Have you guys been messing with me all day??”. Love her.

Haunted Mansion was next followed by even more BTMR. By this time it was about 12:45, the park was empty, and it was raining lightly so Shane and I rode 10x in a row, back seat, no hands, without getting off!

By the time we made it to Fantasy Land we were crashing hard from all the caffeine and sugar and our words were getting slurred while thoughts remained half formed. I remarked that wouldn’t it be nice if the park was this empty except all the characters were out? We decided to ride Dumbo (literally no line and only one other person on the ride). I settled in to my elephant when I felt a hand on my shoulder urging me to scoot. I looked up, half sure I was going to may eye contact with my would-be canoodler (wouldn’t that be romantic!) and came face to face with Pluto instead!!!!!!! As we ascended I began to see other characters emerge; Chip and Dale were goofing off at the circus cage, Donald was riding the carousal (with no one else on it), Mickey and Minnie were walking towards the castle and Goofy and Tigger were playing tag. It was, honest to goodness, the most amazing, beautiful site these blue eyes have ever seen. I cannot even put it into words. The park was virtually empty except for me and my friends, the ground was wet with rain and the puddles reflected the lights, and every store and tree twinkled with little bits of light…and there were characters everywhere. I felt like the park was closed and the magic had come out to play for the night. By the time our Dumbo landed I was in tears and Shane and Jenna were doubled over with laughter. We visited everyone and then walked through the castle, pausing to take in a completely empty but fully lit Main Street. I was just flabbergasted still. It was dark, and empty, and rainy and there were characters!!!!

We finally got back to the Hilton at 2:45 and were kindly offered a complimentary late check out by the desk staff (thank you!). We were in room 721 and I have to say I really loved it. The hotel is beautiful and clean with big, immaculate rooms, and the most comfortable beds you have ever seen. For the price it way out does any Disney Hotel I have ever stayed in (even the Boardwalk) and I think it may be my home hotel from now on. Jenna and I tucked ourselves in and didn’t budge until almost noon the next day.

Later: DTD, Sea Racers, Wilderness and deep-ish thoughts
    Sisterhood of the traveling pirate in the pants: charter member

A friend will help you mend a broken heart; a best friend will get a shovel and help you dig the hole.

Just wanted to say that I love you Meg! You almost had me in tears at the characters part. It would be hard to get away with pranks on Jenna with me there because I would give it away with all the laughing.

P.S. Hurry up and finish that book, I want to read it!

Quote Originally Posted by disneydarling View Post

We rode the racecars next, I was in front followed by Shane then Jen. At one point I noticed that I was way ahead of them (me and old #38 are supa-fast) so I stopped to wait. Shane was texting while driving, didn’t see that I was stopped and rammed into me from behind. Let this be a lesson to you all. Hang up and drive. About half way around the track I decided to let go of the wheel and drive in the manner of a pin ball machine…I am honest to goodness surprised I didn’t jump the durn track. It was actually really fun until my car made a terrible noise then lurched to a stop. Oopsy. By the time a CM got to me I had caused a huge traffic jam and at least one child was in tears because of my inability to get out of her way. In the end no one could get the car restarted so I had to do the walk of shame back to the exit. I broke Disney.
    Stop it!!! My stomach hurts!!!

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast