Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
Trip Reports & Member Reviews Discuss Disneydarling's 2009 Trip Reports Thread! in the Vacation Planning forums; I know it looks funny, but really this is Meg's thread. She's having issues logging in to DWT but is able to email me so I am copying and pasting. ...
    Cinderella2 is offline Thrilled to know there are others who sparkle!

Disneydarling's 2009 Trip Reports Thread!

I know it looks funny, but really this is Meg's thread.
    She's having issues logging in to DWT but is able to email me so I am copying and pasting.

She will be adding in photos.

Now, on with the show!
    Dreams Really Do Come True

I have decided, in the interest of not completely commandeering this forum, to group all my future TR’s (Ri and I are annual pass holders again and plan to make 2009 the Year of the Mouse) into one thread.

Saturday January 10, 2009 – The first visit of the New Year! (pics to follow)

Riley (ds 3) has been sick lately and not up for much other than crying and tugging at his ear. After three weeks of being down in the dumps he is finally feeling better – unfortunately he has a minor surgery scheduled for Tuesday so the window of feeling good will be rather short. We decided to spend a day at Disney to make up for having to spend Christmas in the hospital (and for whatever future injustices might be visited upon him).

Prior to my last WDW visit I had only visited MGM/ DHS in very short bursts…basically dash in, ride RnRC and Great Movie Ride, and dash out. In December I had the pleasure of spending an entire day at the studios with Tinker Bell (Caroline) and Cinderella2 (Kerry) and was pleasantly surprised by all the park had to offer. Riley fell in love with the car stunt show during our last visit and because this was his trip, and therefore his choice of parks, we started the day at the studios!

We left our house at about 7:45 and were at the DHS parking lot by 8:50. I am borderline compulsive when it comes to random acts of kindness and I always pay not only my toll, but also the toll of whoever comes behind me on the way down to the world. Truth be told this particular act of kindness is actually not so random. A couple of years ago when I was having a particularly bad day some stranger paid my toll for me and that little bit of niceness completely changed my mood. I like to imagine that whoever is behind me will be similarly moved, and maybe, just maybe they will pay for the person behind them and so on and so forth and the entire turnpike will just turn into one gigantic chain-o-love. Not likely.

Anyways, on Saturday I decided to pay parking for whoever was behind me and I am so glad I did. The attendant told me that the person in front of me just chewed her out for the price of parking (12 bucks…which is, I agree a bit ridiculous when you are already paying out the nose to visit the parks) and that she was on the verge of tears before I pulled up. My willingness to pay double the price in order to spread some Disney cheer completely made her day! Bring on the chain-o-love!

It was a beautiful Florida day – about 70 degrees, and not a cloud in sight (more reasons for two young ladies I know to move here)! We started the day with character visits – Stitch, Pluto, Chip, and Dale. Riley loves the characters and always runs up to them with a huge hug and a kiss. While waiting in line for Pluto we met a really nice family from the midwest. The son was probably about my age but severely mentally handicapped. He and Riley hit it off big time! It was so sweet watching them interact, they were both so excited to see Pluto and we had the photopass photographer take their pictures together.

After we had schmoozed with the Disney gang we dashed off to Toy Story Midway Mania for fast passes and scored a pair for 12:20! Then we looped back around and did the Great Movie Ride…I love this ride but am a little bothered by the Aliens part….. When I was about 8 or 9 my mother went out of town for a week leaving her offspring in the capable hands of their father. He fed us nutritious meals (fruit loops and pizza) and spent quality time in the evening watching such wholesome family films as Alien and Alien II. I slept with the light on for almost an entire year. My dad slept on the couch for a week. Riley does not seem to have inherited my fear of the extraterrestrial and faired very well through the whole ride.

After GMR we snuck through the gift shop to the Mickey meet and greet at the end of the animation show. There was literally no line and Mickey spent a lot of time mugging with Ri.

Next was the Voyage of the Little Mermaid – In my honest opinion this show fails to live up to its potential. Don’t get me wrong – it’s a cute show, but I think it needs to be both updated and expanded. Riley loved the bubbles!

I am pleased to report that Riley is now an even 40” tall! To celebrate the big day we rode Star Tours twice – This is Ri’s new favorite ride! I cannot figure out why there is a height requirement at all – it’s a pretty tame ride. Any thoughts?

Unfortunately the first Lights, Motors, Action show was not until 1pm and because we wanted to make the DWT meet at 2pm we had to forgo it. To make up for missing his favorite show, I took Riley to see Indiana Jones instead. This was my first time and I thought it was great! Ri was very impressed with all the shooting and exploding. When he grows up he now wants to be Indiana Jones (or Donald Duck).

After Indy it was time for our FP at Toy Story…..but much to our dismay the ride was down indefinitely! We gave our FP to a nice British couple (hopefully they were able to use it later in the day) and headed back to the car for the drive to MK.

We parked at the Ticket and Transportation Center and took the monorail over to the Magic Kingdom. My stomach was growling so I soothed the savage beast with a hotdog (extra sauerkraut) from Casey’s. Riley had scraped his knee earlier in the day (he did inherit my love of skipping) so we popped into the first aide station for a band aide. The nurse was a complete sweetheart and gave Ri a sticker to put over his band aide.

It was now almost 2pm so we walked over to the noodle terrace for a quick visit with Lou and Tracy (flutter). I am so in awe of all those marathon folks…not only did they jog over 13 miles, they had enough energy to gallivant around WDW afterwards!

The racecars and teacups were next and we did both twice. I went a long time without doing the speedway. The way I use to see it I had just driven a real car on a real road to get to MK, why wait in line to drive a mini version at 3mph on a track? I have completely changed my mind after experiencing it with a toddler. This is the best ride ever and totally worth the wait! Ri on the speedway is joy in motion.

It is a MK tradition for Ri to get his face painted. For the first time ever he chose not to get Pluto and opted instead for a scary looking pirate. Seeing your three year old with a mustache and goatee is kind of creepy!

We rode the Carousel next and then went to collect FP’s for BTMR. I have been waiting and waiting for the day that my son would be big enough to ride my very favorite ride with me….i did my best to ignore the tiny voice in my head that was telling me it was a bad idea.

To kill time before our date with BTMR, we took a raft over to TSI. It is really really hard for me to move slowly. I don’t like to sit still doing nothing but resolved myself to chilling out and letting Riley direct the day. Consequently we spent nearly two hours exploring every nook and cranny of TSI (except the caves “too scarwy”). His favorite part was the shooting nests at Ft. Langerhorn. He spent the better part of 45 minutes shooting “bad guys” on the “fast choo-choo”. I managed to get my foot caught under a stair and jerked it all kinds of out of place. The top of my right foot is now completely black and blue….a little “love nip” from the happiest place on earth!

Ri also enjoyed the barrel bridge. I wonder how many folks have fallen off this bridge into the murkey depths below? The bridge is, by its very nature, unstable, and the rope hand rails, hitting mid thigh, are at the perfect anatomical location to serve as a pivot point should you lose your balance.

After much cajoling I finally coaxed Ri off TSI and back on the rafts. We still had a little time to kill before BTMR so I changed him into his swim trunks and let him run amok at Pooh’s Playful Spot. Whoever decided to install the water features is a pure genius. A) kids love them and B) most parents do not expect them. The majority of the kids other than Ri were in their regular clothes which meant that Mom and Dad would have to either return to the hotel prematurely or shell out big bucks for a dry outfit. Pure genius. Ri’s face paint was of course completely ruined!

It was finally time for BTMR and I talked it up big time while we made our way over there. We scored front row seats (because they are the slowest) and I snapped a quick picture of his apprehension right as the ride started moving. He was ok until we crested our first hill….he then started sputtering in the manner of one of those aliens from “Mars Attacks” (ack ack ack ack). By the end of the ride he was sobbing (and the little voice in my head was going “told ya so”). We were greeted back at the station by a lot of well intentioned laughter. I felt so bad for Riley, not only had his own mother betrayed him and tricked him on to the train of death, perfect strangers were now laughing at him!

I soothed him with a bucket of popcorn and a new “shooter gun” from POTC. We grabbed supper at Picklesville (Pecos Bill for the uninitiated). I had the BBQ pork sandwich and Ri had a burger. We both, of course, had pickles! I really wasn’t hungry and ended up throwing away half my meal which made me kind of sad (starving children in China and whatnot).

Riley wanted to do Tiki Birds next so we waited and waited and waited for the next show. When the doors finally opened Riley got a terrified look on his face and said “Mawmy, dis pwace is too scary! Get me out of here!”. Oh my goodness. I have permanently scarred my child.

After saving him from the evil Tiki Birds we joined the queue for Pooh (because lets face it – no one can be scared of that jolly old bear). Ri played with the little boys in line in front of him until their dad turned around and snapped at him. For some reason his meanness made me want to cry, and granted I am a little oversensitive, but really, how hard is to be nice to a three year old, at Disney World for Pete’s sake?!

The universe must have been listening because on the next ride (Buzz) we queued up in front of the nicest Dad ever. He and his wife had just adopted twin two year olds (I said he was nice, not sane) and they engaged Riley in their roughhousing and silliness during the entire wait.

After Buzz we watched CofP…another one of my favorite Disney attractions. For whatever reason the room did not rotate after the first scene so we watched it twice. Then the announcers voice came on asking us to remain seated while the animatronics lips were still moving….very creepy!

We were lucky enough to catch most of Wishes from the TTA (amazing) and rode the teacups one last time before Mommy finally decided that she was worn out (Ri was still raring and ready to go, but then Ri had the option of sleeping on the way home!).

Overall we had a great visit. This marks the first time that Ri has spent the entire day at WDW without a nap or a tantrum. I am hoping that he forgives me for the whole BTMR thing by the time he graduates (Stanford medical school class of 2027)!

General observations, musings, and deep-ish thoughts

1) I noticed a lot more birthday pins than normal. Either Disney’s promotion is working or I was just more observant than usual. I also noted that while most people had the normal blue pins some had a special pin with balloons on it. I wonder if they get their blue pins for the trip and a different pin to wear of their actual birthday?

2) I think it would be neat-o if they would continue to give away nights in Cinderella Suite but limit it to people who are celebrating their birthdays that night – that way your odds of winning are exponentially higher

3) I will not implode with inactivity by spending 2+ hours on TSI

4)Good parenting does not encompass tricking your barely tall enough toddler on to choo choo trains of certain death

5) People can be really kind and they can be really terrible, it is generally not a good idea to base your overall opinion of humanity on either extreme.

EeyoresBuddy is offline 'till "Tomorrow"
    Brilliant report Meg, really enjoyed the read. How lucky to have annual passes!! Looking forward to seeing your photos and reading about your future trips.

Hope your computer is soon sorted, thanks Kerry for helping out and posting the TR.

x Joan x
    8 Vacations to WDW between 1989 and 2010 & 2 Trips to DLP

disneydarling is offline ...and the mome raths outgrabe
    Thanks for posting Ker!
    Sisterhood of the traveling pirate in the pants: charter member

A friend will help you mend a broken heart; a best friend will get a shovel and help you dig the hole.

Poor Ri. He obviously is not scarred for life. And it appears popcorn and a fun toy will always fix whatever is ailing a small child!

This is going to be great to read your adventures throughout the year Meg!

Hopefully you'll be able to persuade him to go back on BTMR soon, it's one of my boys favorite rides!

You know, we made Sydney go on her first "roller coaster" when she was 6. It was BTMRR. She screamed her little heart out. Sobbed hysterically.
    If you ask her now what her favorite ride was, it was BTMRR!!!

flutter is offline Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Cinderella2 View Post
    You know, we made Sydney go on her first "roller coaster" when she was 6. It was BTMRR. She screamed her little heart out. Sobbed hysterically.
    If you ask her now what her favorite ride was, it was BTMRR!!!
    Gee I wonder where she gets that.....hopefully SHE didn't say any very unprincess like words

tarynkelly is offline Waiting for Paris Mousemeet in Dec 2009!!!!! Woo Hoo
    Scurrying back to my closet before Debs catches me!!
    Oh bless his little heart!!! I don't think he's scarred for life though. What a lovely thing to do paying for someone else to park, hopefully all your kindness will come back to you in many ways x x x

Thanks girls! Now that we are AP holders again I hope to meet each and everyone of you when you visit wdw!

A friend will help you mend a broken heart; a best friend will get a shovel and help you dig the hole.

Tinker Bell is offline DisneyWorldTrivia.com Lifetime Pass
    What did the mean dad say? I think I would have said something back! I loved the Carousel repeat scene, that's funny!

Great report! Can't wait to read the next one.

DisneyDreamer13 is offline A good friend gets you out of jail, a great friend wakes up next to you!
    6,976km from Cinderella Castle / 408km from Sleeping Beauty Castle
    A wonderful TR as always Meg. Cant wait to see some of the photos too, coz i know Ri will be looking so cute in them!
    x FIONA x
    1989 WDW Offsite1990 WDWOffsite1991Offsite/Contemporary1992 EuroDisney Offsite(schooltrip)
    1992 WDW Offsite/GrandFloridian2001 DLP Davy CrocketRanch2008 Offsite villa/Contempoary
    2009DLP Hotel Santa Fe 2010Clearwater/get married/POR
    Sisterhood of the travelling pirate in the pants

I don't remember exactly what mean dad said. Ri was playing very nicely with his boys and I think he was annoyed with his kids and wanted them to stop having fun?

I am gonna try and get pics to kerry to post for me today. I can't access dwt from my work laptop and I can't upload from my blackberry. What a pickle!

Yes the animatronic dad giving us instructions. In a womans voice, to remain seated, was very fun! For some reason I was the only one laughing though!

Quote Originally Posted by flutter View Post
    Gee I wonder where she gets that.....hopefully SHE didn't say any very unprincess like words
    I'm not quite sure what she was saying, I was in a car with my sister and her broken ankle who was cursing at me at the top of her lungs for making her ride that "rattle bucket". She is a whole lot like you, afraid she'd have to be adult beverage medicated to handle WDW with the princess.
    Quote Originally Posted by disneydarling View Post
    I am gonna try and get pics to kerry to post for me today. I can't access dwt from my work laptop and I can't upload from my blackberry. What a pickle!

Yes the animatronic dad giving us instructions. In a womans voice, to remain seated, was very fun! For some reason I was the only one laughing though!
    I'm ready!

And oh my I know I would have been doubled over laughing hysterically. Or having terrible nightmares.

Since it snowed bunches here, it appears I have some time to go through the photos Meg emailed me. Yay!
    Here we go!

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast